Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Would you Trade in the Lakers picks now or hold?

Would love to make a run at SGA

Assuming health, one of CJ, BI, and Zion will be on the court at all times. JV will be on the court during those times as well. That’s, on the low side, 80 ppg of hyper efficient offense right there. The Grizzlies led the league last year at 112 ppg. That would mean the other 5 guys only need to combine for 32 points to be the best offense in basketball from a scoring standpoint. I think the only real need right now is some CJ insurance

Why would you trade for a lot of pieces? The roster appears to be just fine. The direction appears to be just fine. Hayes and Graham could go. There are other names that could go at the back end of the bench. But in general you have a core.

Looking at the 2021 draft:
    Bones Hyland
    Kuminga
    Suggs

2020 Draft:
    Cole Anthony
    Maxey
    Bey
    Okoro
    Pat Williams
    Okongwu

Obviously some would have to be 3 team trades
    Welcome to be here

The Suggs one would be bold and would make some sense for Orlando too if they rather bet on Cole
    @mcnamara247

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    JJJ and KAT would be two players I'd definitely target.

If they don't get Looney on a discount, I wonder what it would take to get Wiseman from Warriors. I'm not offering both Lakers' picks unprotected, but I think he might be worth trying to grab if the price is right. They're going to have a team option on a player at $12m after next season that won't be worth it if they don't play him over Loon. For the Pelicans, he might turn into the successor to JV if he hits his ceiling.

Would Killian cannibalize Dyson?

Quote Originally Posted by coreylaron View Post
    Would Killian cannibalize Dyson?
    I'd just play Dyson over Killian. I think he's a better prospect. So I'd hope not.
    Basketball.

I'm a gambler, so it's just my nature above all else, but I'm not moving those picks. Especially not the pick swap next year.

I think the Lakers could easily land us another top 8 pick and I want to be in that Wembanyama sweepstakes. The ceiling of this team + Wembanyama is a dynasty. I'm rolling those dice, no matter how small the odds.

I can agree with that dae. Shreve has a good point too. If the lakers are a real ******** show, in theory, wouldn’t the picks we get be better than the prospects we’re listing?

I can agree with that dae. Shreve has a good point too. If the lakers are a real ******** show, in theory, wouldn’t the picks we get be better than the prospects we’re listing?
    Of course. That’s the gamble. They also could get 70+ games from AD and Lebron next year plus find some more gems like Monk, and then the next summer, with all their cap room get a 3rd star of 3-4 good pieces like they had in 2020 and be good enough again where those picks are in the late teens/early 20s

I would bet my money age catching up with LeBron

I would bet my money age catching up with LeBron
    Age catches up with everyone. Lebron has done as good a job as anyone else in NBA history at fighting it - was anyone else ever still playing at this level after nineteen years? - but he's not playing until he's 50. He's got a little left in the tank though, imo. Not as a top 3 player but when you're so high above everyone else, it takes a long time to fall.

The Franchise
    I’d like Kuminga or Okongwu but would want protections on the pick. At least top 10 on both. I’d prob set that on almost any player we try to trade for. Dejonte would be nice but have to include Vassell to get even close to if there’s no protections. This would be my favorite if we really going to pull the trigger.

Kira was taken over Maxey because the FO isn't infallible which is why they wouldn't have taken Haliburton either

And why they took Hayes + NAW over Garland

Who knows if Maxey is unhappy. I have only read he is ready in Philly. Korkmaz is more of a throw-in but I confess I haven't watched him play much. I think you move the usual suspects. And in reference to trading Laker picks I disagree. What exactly are you adding to a tough core of guys that is worth trading away Laker picks (especially with the Lakers in their current state).

Season Ticket Holder
    Age catches up with everyone eventually, yes.

However, I firmly believe guys like Lebron and Tom Brady are on a ton of HGH and other drugs to keep themselves playing at a high level. Of course, all the HGH in the world isn't gonna make a 50 year old play in the NBA, but you get my point. Lebron is 37 years old with a zillion miles on his tires, but he has science on his side. But all the HGH in the world won't help AD.

Quote Originally Posted by Upper Decker View Post
    Age catches up with everyone eventually, yes.

However, I firmly believe guys like Lebron and Tom Brady are on a ton of HGH and other drugs to keep themselves playing at a high level. Of course, all the HGH in the world isn't gonna make a 50 year old play in the NBA, but you get my point. Lebron is 37 years old with a zillion miles on his tires, but he has science on his side. But all the HGH in the world won't help AD.
    I think it's generally agreed upon that basically all high level athletes (read: world class athletes, not just someone who is really good on the local level) are on something. Anything Lebron is taking, you can bet most of the other elite NBA talents are taking too - and it doesn't seem to be doing for them what it does for him, generally at least. And we also know that steroids or growth hormone don't actually just automatically put you in good shape. So even if you factor drugs into it, I'm willing to bet that Lebron just has (along with insane genetics) much more focus on his workouts, his diets, his recovery process, etc, than pretty much anyone else in the league does.

That's before you even get to his skills that have nothing to do with his size or physical condition, like his ridiculous vision or absurd feel for the game, which are also key aspects to his longevity. Stockton proved that if your passing is at a high enough level and you don't play like an idiot, even people with very unimpressive physical traits can basically just play however long they want.

Season Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I think it's generally agreed upon that basically all high level athletes (read: world class athletes, not just someone who is really good on the local level) are on something. Anything Lebron is taking, you can bet most of the other elite NBA talents are taking too - and it doesn't seem to be doing for them what it does for him, generally at least. And we also know that steroids or growth hormone don't actually just automatically put you in good shape. So even if you factor drugs into it, I'm willing to bet that Lebron just has (along with insane genetics) much more focus on his workouts, his diets, his recovery process, etc, than pretty much anyone else in the league does.

That's before you even get to his skills that have nothing to do with his size or physical condition, like his ridiculous vision or absurd feel for the game, which are also key aspects to his longevity. Stockton proved that if your passing is at a high enough level and you don't play like an idiot, even people with very unimpressive physical traits can basically just play however long they want.
    I agree with all this except it wouldn't surprise me if Tom Brady and Lebron have "better" HGH/drugs. I'm completely talking out of my ****** here, but those guys are totally crazy competitive people with endless resources. So I disagree with the premise that anything Lebron is taking, the others are too. But then again, I readily don't know anything about the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    I'm a gambler, so it's just my nature above all else, but I'm not moving those picks. Especially not the pick swap next year.

I think the Lakers could easily land us another top 8 pick and I want to be in that Wembanyama sweepstakes. The ceiling of this team + Wembanyama is a dynasty. I'm rolling those dice, no matter how small the odds.
    Gotta agree with this. The shot at Wembanyama is too good to pass up, and the Lakers looked primed for a year of high drama with the pressure on Westbrook only getting worse as he continues his decline and Lebron gets another year older. And if anything changes dramatically, there's still the trade deadline.

For those who were all aboard the 'hold' train, how would you feel if Lakers trade Westbrook and picks for Kyrie tomorrow and he re-signs for a few years and actually plays? Combine that with more and more teams looking to tank, and I am not as confident as most that these future picks will be special

The Franchise
    If they get Kyrie, I’m more willing to trade it without protections.

Quote Originally Posted by Upper Decker View Post
    I agree with all this except it wouldn't surprise me if Tom Brady and Lebron have "better" HGH/drugs. I'm completely talking out of my ****** here, but those guys are totally crazy competitive people with endless resources. So I disagree with the premise that anything Lebron is taking, the others are too. But then again, I readily don't know anything about the subject.
    They bathe in the blood of virgins, I've been told.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    For those who were all aboard the 'hold' train, how would you feel if Lakers trade Westbrook and picks for Kyrie tomorrow and he re-signs for a few years and actually plays? Combine that with more and more teams looking to tank, and I am not as confident as most that these future picks will be special
    I mean, yeah that would obviously changes things, but even if they make that trade tomorrow, there's no way for us to know if Kyrie is actually gonna play a full schedule of games. So I'd probably still take the gamble that they all 3(Lebron, Kyrie and AD) do what they usually do, which is miss alot of games and only try on one side of the floor. The fact is Kyrie doesn't seem to care, AD can't stay healthy and Lebron only cares about his scoring titles at this point. They have no depth and no assets to get real depth. I'd still bet on them being a lottery team, so im atleast holding the pick swap for a chance at Wembanyama. But ofcourse, I'd feel alot better about it if they still have Westbrook come opening day.

Thread Information