Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hypothetical Jax + Trades

Hypothetical Jax + Trades

Jaxson Hayes will not be on this team long term, and has as good of a chance being traded in the next few months as he does being on the roster come training camp. His agent is seeking stupid money and he is not the most mature guy in the world, making him a non ideal 'people' fit for what Griff is building. The hope is to attach him to Temple and/or Graham and get something back that is usuable while also opening up some cap and roster flexibility. Some things to know first:

- Pels are at 15 roster spots, without EJ. While they could give him a two-way and he would accept, it would still be nice to have an open roster spot come March at the latest
    - Pels will be about 2.6 million under the lux tax after Daniels signs. Pels will not pay lux tax this year. Future years, for sure. This year, it wont happen
    - Temple has 1 year and 5.15 mil on his deal (with a non guaranteed 5.4 mil the following year)
    - Hayes has 6.8 on his deal this year and will get a QO of around 7 mil next year (since he wont qualify for starters criteria)
    - Graham basically has 11.5 this year, 12.1 next year, and then 2.8 of his 12.6 is guaranteed in 2024-25

With that said, here are some theoretical targets that would be legal and viable. Feel free to add your own to the thread:

Hayes Plus Temple (12 mil going out, have to take back a min of 7 mil, a max of 17 mil)

- Josh Richardson
    - Terrance Ross
    - Jordan Clarkson
    - Luke Kennard
    - KCP
    - Doug McDermott
    - Kelly Oubre
    - Kelly Olynyk
    - Alec Burks
    - Nerlens Noel
    - Mason Plumlee

Hayes Plus Graham (19 mil going out, have to take 14 mil back, a max of 24 mil coming in)

- Will Barton
    - K Huerter
    - Malik Beasley
    - Duncan Robinson
    - Evan Fournier
    - Bogdan Bogdanovic
    - Harrison Barnes
    - Bojan Bogdanovic
    - Tim Hardaway, Jr

Hayes plus Graham plus Temple (24 mil going out, have to take back 19 mil, a max of 31 back)

- Can combine any two from the first list or one from the bottom of the first list and one from top of 2nd (example - Barton and Plumlee in a 3 teamer)
    - Nerlens Noel and Alec Burks from the Knicks is a great 3-for-2 for both teams IMO
    - Galinari
    - Brogdon
    - Kevin Love
    @mcnamara247

I will continue to be the advocate for Harry B, contingent upon his willingness to accept a reserve role. He’s on a one year deal so you can just let him walk after this season if Daniels and EJ exceed expectations. Some potential at his age to get him back next season on the MLE, but you’re ok if he walks.

Gives you near elite shooting and pretty solid defense. Again, the only question is will he give you more than he gave Sac. I’m under the opinion that he would

Would be pretty happy about Beasley. That guy can just turn into a flamethrower sometimes. (I remember he had 11 threes in a game last year.)

Luke Kennard too even though I know he's bbq chicken in the playoffs, maybe you can just throw him into a good defensive lineup and hide him.

KCP can defend, I know his threes can be a little inconsistent, but he's not just 'good' defensively, I'd say he's nice.

I've previously floated out the idea of Jax plus Graham for Duncan Robinson. It think it's highly unlikely that Miami would agree (unless maybe we sweeten the pot with a future draft pick). But it does seem that they might have buyer's remorse after giving him his current contract.

I bet the Heat would do Hayes plus Temple and Naji in a millisecond. I think it would be us saying no

Need to do some research on who is buddies with CJ

Michael, can you list the ones that you think have the best chance to happen?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I bet the Heat would do Hayes plus Temple and Naji in a millisecond. I think it would be us saying no
    Would they? They tout their culture. Would they want Hayes to be part of that?

Would love Huerter, but see no reason Atlanta would consider that.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Would they? They tout their culture. Would they want Hayes to be part of that?

Would love Huerter, but see no reason Atlanta would consider that.
    1 year of Hayes vs 3.5 of Robinson at an average of ~18 mil

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    1 year of Hayes vs 3.5 of Robinson at an average of ~18 mil
    Yeah, I guess they could dump him and just save the salary long term. I was thinking of Hayes being a bad fit, but could just be a financial move like you said. Personally, I would not be excited to add Duncan given his contract.

100% a fiscal decision

I’m looking at Kevin Love pretty hard. Gives you outside scoring as well as legitimate big man presence. Sorta lol. Also opens more roster spots than getting more than 1 person.

Quote Originally Posted by coreylaron View Post
    I’m looking at Kevin Love pretty hard. Gives you outside scoring as well as legitimate big man presence. Sorta lol. Also opens more roster spots than getting more than 1 person.
    He can shoot and he's an expiring, but that's basically all the positives for KLove imo. His salary is still so big - $28m - that he'd take multiple guys to add up to it, and Cleveland have themselves an nice little core going on so I don't really know that they'd want to take on our guys like Temple. They've got no need for Devonte' given that they have two small offense-first guards already, both of whom are better than Devonte', and with Jarrett Allen and Lauri Markkanen, I don't really know how much interest they'd have in Jax either with the upcoming extension.
    Basketball.

Here is my wish. numbersClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	6636 work but we may need to add a little sweeter

All things considered: contract, talent, role acceptance, team-culture fit:

Burks
    Ross
    McDermott
    Huerter
    Kennard
    Bogdanavic s

The Franchise
    Beasley and Bamba I think would be nice fits. I’d take a chance on Culver if Beasley isn’t available. All these guys should keep us under the cap if we move Hayes, Graham, and Temple.

Would love to try Bamba but I have a feeling he will get big money.

I think the Pels need a player who is willing to come off the bench, but also talented enough to start if something happens to CJ.
    They have plenty of point guard options. From the lists above the type of guy I would be looking for would be....

Terrance Ross
    Jordan Clarkson
    Alec Burks
    Will Barton
    KCP

In no particular order, I do not know enough about them as teammates or individuals.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

I'd only be looking for guys on great contracts or with 1 year left on their deal, so whichever shooters that can also play defense and fit that criteria, that's who I'd be interested in.

New Orleans gets Justin Holiday (1 Year)

Sacramento gets JAX, Temple

Sacramento needs frontcourt help and would get to kick the tires on JAX to see what's there. Justin Holiday is expendable because they just drafted Keegan Murray and would be a nice one year addition to the Pelicans (upgrade from Temple) as Daniels assimilates into the NBA. Further, this trade would open up a roster spot for Liddell.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=296hq23v

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    New Orleans gets Justin Holiday (1 Year)

Sacramento gets JAX, Temple

Sacramento needs frontcourt help and would get to kick the tires on JAX to see what's there. Justin Holiday is expendable because they just drafted Keegan Murray and would be a nice one year addition to the Pelicans (upgrade from Temple) as Daniels assimilates into the NBA. Further, this trade would open up a roster spot for Liddell.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=296hq23v
    Is Sacramento too close to Los Angeles? I wonder if he would rather not be in California with the incident there. I was thinking Kennard would be a great target, but Hayes would likely have to be re-routed elsewhere if he was involved.

Kennard would fit great if he's really available for what Pels have left to trade. Duke connection, great 3 pt. shooter and good creator. Would be great to add him while shedding Graham either in that trade or elsewhere (or keep both until trade deadline / next offseason?).

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Is Sacramento too close to Los Angeles? I wonder if he would rather not be in California with the incident there.
    Sacramento is nearly 400 miles away from Los Angeles. That's like saying you don't want to go to Paris because you had some bad times in London.

In any case it doesn't really matter whether Jax would want to or not because he doesn't have a no trade clause and nobody cares. Players get traded to places they'd rather not be all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Sacramento is nearly 400 miles away from Los Angeles. That's like saying you don't want to go to Paris because you had some bad times in London.

In any case it doesn't really matter whether Jax would want to or not because he doesn't have a no trade clause and nobody cares. Players get traded to places they'd rather not be all the time.
    Well the difference is, those are two different countries and this would be in the same state, the next major city over and a very short flight away for a young millionaire. And he has high profile criminal charges in the state of California. I see those 4 teams not seeing Hayes as worth that history and risk.

And it's not about where he wants, it's about whther a team would see this as an red flag issue and not worth taking the gamble on for a non-star player. Especially a team like the Kings who seems to be focused on adding team-first, high character players to the locker room, # team culture.
    Last edited by Rheem654; 06-27-2022 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    Here is my wish. numbersClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	6636 work but we may need to add a little sweeter
    I'd like to get Brogdon, too. While I'm concerned his minutes could stunt Dyson's development, I think there enough dog days and injury minutes to keep all the guards happy, especially if we get off DG. Not to mention saving CJ's legs for the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    I think the Pels need a player who is willing to come off the bench, but also talented enough to start if something happens to CJ.
    They have plenty of point guard options. From the lists above the type of guy I would be looking for would be....

Terrance Ross
    Jordan Clarkson
    Alec Burks
    Will Barton
    KCP

In no particular order, I do not know enough about them as teammates or individuals.
    Really like Clarkson for the exact reasons you mentioned unless there is a culture problem with him that I don't know about.

Ross would be fine for 3s, but is he still productive at this point in his career? I haven't paid attention.

Either way I really hope we focus on getting another on-ball guard for the bench. Can't roll with just CJ and Jose (and whenever Kira returns).

Thread Information