Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Dream Finish to the Pelicans 2022 Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Why do Pistons take on more players with more guaranteed money for longer, when all 3 of our guys have negative value? (Hayes and Temple neutral at best)

What pick sweeteners are you throwing in?
    There’s no world in which Hayes has negative value. At worst it’s neutral. He’s on a 6 million dollar deal and you can just let him walk if he’s bad

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Also, to be clear, Hardaway wouldn?t be my first option. I think my first option now would be Olynyk and Burks for Graham, Temple, and Hayes. Then, KCP. But if nothing else was on the table and it was that trade vs roll into camp as is, it would be 50/50 for me. I would rather have Hardaway and EJ getting those 1400-1800 minutes throughout the season than Graham and Hayes. I?d also prefer Hardaways length for the playoffs. On the other side, I would be more than happy to just see what is available in February
    Would Burks have the recently traded restriction? So they'd have to wait 60 days to be traded again, right?

I guess Pistons could trade for Hayes for a value talent gamble, but with Bagley likely to be re-signed, Duren getting some developing minutes, Noel needing minutes in a contract year, if Stewart's still there -- Hayes would have to really earn minutes there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Would Burks have the recently traded restriction? So they'd have to wait 60 days to be traded again, right?
    None of these deals are finalized, I believe, so they could just make it a three teamer

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    None of these deals are finalized, I believe, so they could just make it a three teamer
    Correct. People need to remember that the deal is not finalized once it is announced on twitter. None of this becomes official for close to another week. Still time to work into deals
    @mcnamara247

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    There’s no world in which Hayes has negative value. At worst it’s neutral. He’s on a 6 million dollar deal and you can just let him walk if he’s bad
    Why isn't that also a reason for the Pelicans to just keep him? Is there legit concern that he's going to become a disruptive malcontent?

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Why isn't that also a reason for the Pelicans to just keep him? Is there legit concern that he's going to become a disruptive malcontent?
    If they trade him, I would assume they are just trying to get assets for a player they have already decided is not in their future.

I dont think the Pels are against keeping Hayes for a little while. Its not a 'trade him at all costs' type of thing, but both parties know it has no future and that is never the ideal energy to bring into a locker room where everyone else is 100% bought in. Its one thing for a 33 year old to know he is on an expiring for a team, and is a lame duck of sorts. Another for a guy who thinks he is a budding star and has his whole future ahead of him. It goes both ways with Griff's "You are all in or all out" - in that when he knows there isnt a future for a player here, he also wants to do right by them if possible. He could just hold onto them and squeeze them for all they are worth, but ideally he would like to get them somewhere to give them the opportunity they seek. Not if it makes the team worse, obviously, but he wont just bury the kid if he has some solid option out there

Ahhh, I see, thanks. And we've seen Griff expand or jump in on 3 or 4 team trades before, so definitely possible.

I'll bet at that GM level, completing a solid 3 team trade is like an artist finishing a masterpiece, a musician completing a great song/album. The Jonas & Graham mega-deal last offseason was Griff's great piano symphony. Now I need to learn Photoshop to merge D. Griff with Beethoven / Motzart.

I like Hayes and Temple for Olynyk or Noel - where you give Detroit a little bit of cash to just cut Temple, so its basically a 1-for-1 for Detroit. And for us, it gives you a salary that basically lines up with Graham next year, so you have about 22-25 mil in expirings if you want to go big game hunting (yes, I know Graham has a little bit of money on the year after, but it can effectively be an expiring)

Shot making vs Rim Protection is a good debate for this team, as far as what would be more valuable. I would lean towards Noel, and hope EJ can be my small ball 5 shot maker. Gives me a lot of different bigs to play center by committee. Also, if its Noel, now I got about 5 or 6 million before I get to the lux tax and if there is a bargain guy out there that hasnt been scooped up by July 15th and is just getting minimum offers, I can offer him more and get some value. There are always a few guys like that at the end

I also like Hayes and Temple for Plumlee. Again, you open up some breathing room from the tax and can sign a guy who falls through the cracks in FA to give you some value. And if you dont love anyone, just give EJ the deal now
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 06-29-2022 at 10:45 AM.

I’m a little confused. Isn’t Nance our small ball 5? I’d actually be curious to see he and Liddell paired in a speed front court line up. Both are long and have pretty good vertical pop, offering decent rim protection. With Zion and Jonas starting and Billy a pretty strong option for mop up duty, I’m not sure a sixth big is the target if we deal Hayes. I’d rather shot making.

OKC looking to use up some cap room to gain picks before the new league year. Would a 2nd and cash be enough to dump Temple there?

Is Hartenstein gettable at a reasonable price if they can create a roster spot?

Hey MM just curious you mentioned some in the FO thought Dieng could a taller Harden if everything hit right, and the FO had Daniels #5 on their board. What's the ceiling they think he could be? Any player comp?
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    I?m a little confused. Isn?t Nance our small ball 5? I?d actually be curious to see he and Liddell paired in a speed front court line up. Both are long and have pretty good vertical pop, offering decent rim protection. With Zion and Jonas starting and Billy a pretty strong option for mop up duty, I?m not sure a sixth big is the target if we deal Hayes. I?d rather shot making.
    He can play some small-ball 5, but if you ship out Jax and want to play EJ, you can just as easily use Nance as a backup 4 for when Zion is off, or even as a kind of 'positionless' big wing type in bench lineups.

Last season he played, Zion + 4 bench guys was one of our best lineups; it absolutely shredded other bench units. I'd be curious to try that again, except instead of NAW/Jax/Hart/Kira/Zion, doing something like Dyson/Trey/Nance/Zion/Liddell. I feel like that unit would murder other bench units. Especially if Dyson's shooting comes around and/or Liddell's college shooting improvements hold up.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    I’m a little confused. Isn’t Nance our small ball 5? I’d actually be curious to see he and Liddell paired in a speed front court line up. Both are long and have pretty good vertical pop, offering decent rim protection. With Zion and Jonas starting and Billy a pretty strong option for mop up duty, I’m not sure a sixth big is the target if we deal Hayes. I’d rather shot making.
    Jonas goes down, I dont like starting Nance at the 5. Dont love starting Willy either. I think of centers like middle relievers, where you need all different types. Plumlee or Noel is just a different type of body and skill set to get you through the 82 game slog. Wouldnt see either of them helping in playoffs. And again, you make that deal, you open up the money to go get a value guy on the perimeter who might crack a playoff rotation

This is why clearing space this year and for future years never made sense to me. At some point, the cap was bound to rise drastically because of the new TV deal. Looks like the NBA has opted instead for a more subtle year to year approach after seeing the consequences of 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Hey MM just curious you mentioned some in the FO thought Dieng could a taller Harden if everything hit right, and the FO had Daniels #5 on their board. What's the ceiling they think he could be? Any player comp?
    This is a weird one, but I heard..... Ben Simmons with a jumper and Chris Paul's heart

They arent sure he is done growing yet, and think he could get to 6'8 or 6'9". Also, think the jumper is going to be just fine. But they think he will eventually defend anybody 1-4 and can be amazing in transition, a great secondary play maker, and a good half court connector and finisher. All NBA defense and even a DPOY candidate a la Simmons

Mac, I need you to clear something up for me. Correct me if I'm wrong:

In this scenario they consolidate and give themselves the room under the tax. Pels can sign a player to the full MLE and go right up against the tax line, then sign Dyson Daniels to his rookie deal, thus bringing them into the luxury tax. Then, they would have until a certain date in the regular season to get out of the tax before having to pay it?

Using the MLE hard caps you and doesn’t allow for trickanery. Daniels salary is already factored into my equations. But I don’t think the team wants to use the non taxpayer MLE anyway. A small market team usually has to commit to 3 or 4 years to get that player. The tax payer MLE is a one or two year contract usually. I think it is far more likely they use that (if they use anything) than the Non taxpayer MLE

Bamba may well be available - what do you guys think his market is likely to be?

Article also says that Orlando is open to S&T, or even bringing him back potentially if chips fall right.

He looks like he will hav multiple suitors. Would have to commit to him for at least 3-4 years. Money likely in the 10-14 mil a year range. Just to take a gamble on a position where we are already solid. Pass. 2 years/15 mil, fine. 4 for 50 or 60? Nah

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    He looks like he will hav multiple suitors. Would have to commit to him for at least 3-4 years. Money likely in the 10-14 mil a year range. Just to take a gamble on a position where we are already solid. Pass. 2 years/15 mil, fine. 4 for 50 or 60? Nah
    Idk if I buy $10m+ if they're rejecting the QO. Makes me think they believe they can get him back for less, or that he won't get huge offers. If it's $14m a year, I wouldn't want him either but if it's like, sub-MLE money? Especially if you're already considering Jax's time here over? I'd go for it.

I think it will likely be a sign and trade a la Lonzo. They know he doesn’t wanna come back, will work out a S&T with all the teams competing for him. We shall see

Thread Information