Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Dream Finish to the Pelicans 2022 Offseason

Victor Oladipo would be an interesting bench scoring option if Pels can move Graham/temple.
    AKA St. David

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    I actually bought some Built Bars because of his ads. Never doing it again lmao.
    I did too. Good if you like dark chocolate. Not for me though.

Some Devonte Graham destinations are starting to slowly creep open. The Mavs make a lot of sense if they lose Brunson. The Celtics are bargain hunting for shooters. The Suns may be interested. The Wizards just need stuff. Could get interesting after the initial FA rush

I wonder who would turn down Graham and Hayes for Hardaway. We obviously had a huge interest just 12 months ago. And yeah, Celtics are poking around everywhere
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I wonder who would turn down Graham and Hayes for Hardaway. We obviously had a huge interest just 12 months ago. And yeah, Celtics are poking around everywhere
    I really hope we would given his $54 million due over next 3 years.

Mentioned that on Twitter a while ago and got clowned by Mavs fans. Not sure if that means anything, but thats a spot Jax could really blossom offensively

I think Wiz are our ideal and Celts dump is next but if options start drying up, I would consider it

You know what would help you endure that? Built bar!!!
    I tried one. It was a brick bar.

I think Wiz are our ideal and Celts dump is next but if options start drying up, I would consider it
    Would our target with Wiz be KCP?

Celtics have a $17.1 mil TPE. Could fit Graham and Temple into it. I'd be willing to trade Graham and Temple to the Celtics for a fake second if you knew you had an MLE candidate lined up

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Celtics have a $17.1 mil TPE. Could fit Graham and Temple into it. I'd be willing to trade Graham and Temple to the Celtics for a fake second if you knew you had an MLE candidate lined up
    Agree. Would Celtics be interested though (without picks being attached)?

Mentioned that on Twitter a while ago and got clowned by Mavs fans. Not sure if that means anything, but thats a spot Jax could really blossom offensively
    Going through the list of possible interested in Hayes teams, Mavs seemed like a great on court fit. Then I wondered if the intersection between these 3 things would be a significant PR issue: (1) What legal / character issue Kidd has in his past, that resurfaced when they hired him (2) What public investigation the Mavs recently/ are still dealing with (3) What lawsuit/ allegations does Hayes currently have against him.

I imagine they think they can get someone better than him and they know they can probably get him at the deadline. I'm cool with Graham on this team to start the year as I think he's probably a slight negative asset and dont want to give up anything. Get rid of Jax and lets ride.
    Last edited by neitzelbaby12; 06-28-2022 at 06:52 PM. Reason: messed up TPE rules
    Welcome to be here

Quote Originally Posted by neitzelbaby12 View Post
    Can only trade 1 player into a TPE so it would be Graham. I imagine they think they can get someone better than him and they know they can probably get him at the deadline. I'm cool with Graham on this team to start the year as I think he's probably a slight negative asset and dont want to give up anything. Get rid of Jax and lets ride.
    A TPE can be split.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    A TPE can be split.
    My mistake. Totally had it mixed up and was thinking about not being able to combine TPEs to reach a certain salary. Im getting rusty

How cool would it be for the team to use this clip in their promos... Shoebill Stork , Pelican, close enough

I see Burks and Noel going to pistons. Most unfortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by coreylaron View Post
    I see Burks and Noel going to pistons. Most unfortunate.
    Might make Stewart more available though. Doubt it, but it's possible.
    Basketball.

I'm wondering if you could get Stewart and Burk from Pistons now?

Why would we want Hardaway, when the whole reason we weren't entertaining trades for guys like Dort was because of the contract extension we would have to give? Hardaway makes the same type of money.

Quote Originally Posted by neitzelbaby12 View Post
    First, love to hear that with Jax. Right in line with what I wanted. Second, what is CJ's extension # looking like and why the rush? Nance I understand, 1 year left and he'll probably get in the 11-14 mil range like DFS and RoCo. CJ has 2 years left on his deal which are his age 31 and 32 years, why not wait a year on the extension? Especially if the number is in the 30+ range which I imagine it is. Not trying to over evaluate 6 playoff games but he wasn't great in them. Not able to get by guys as easily and he'll keep slowing down as he gets older. I love CJ and want him on this team but dont want this extension to be a big overpay
    My thoughts 100%. Why are we trying to extend CJ now and for how long? Dude is already on the wrong side of 30 and didn't look great in the Phoenix series. I'm in no rush to commit more years to him at $30+ million. That extension seems like one you'd wait a year to do.

With regard to Hardaway vs Dort -- a few things. In this situation, you would be getting off Graham, so you are only really adding 6-8 mil per year in addition to what you already are committed to. In addition, it would effectively be a 2 year/34 mil contract after next season, where Dort would be a 4/70-80-ish (maybe more after seeing what Brunson is getting).

As for CJ, I could go either way on the extension. The benefit of it is to actually limit the total years IMO. You give him 1 or 2 years now and its effectively a 3 or 4 year deal, and thats the last deal in all likelihood. In the situation where you just wait him out, then you either let him go for nothing or you give him another 3 or 4 year contract - as its pretty rare a player of that caliber re-signs for 1 or 2 years. Its about control the years, basically agreeing to overpaying him for a year or two on the back half of this extension as opposed to 3 or 4 years on a new contract. And yes, at some point we will overpay CJ. But you wont just be paying for the player, just like GS is not just paying for the on court performances of Draymond, Klay, and current Iggy. But ideally, you will be underpaying other guys, the way GS is underpaying Steph, and Poole, and Payton

Also, to be clear, Hardaway wouldn’t be my first option. I think my first option now would be Olynyk and Burks for Graham, Temple, and Hayes. Then, KCP. But if nothing else was on the table and it was that trade vs roll into camp as is, it would be 50/50 for me. I would rather have Hardaway and EJ getting those 1400-1800 minutes throughout the season than Graham and Hayes. I’d also prefer Hardaways length for the playoffs. On the other side, I would be more than happy to just see what is available in February

Why do Pistons take on more players with more guaranteed money for longer, when all 3 of our guys have negative value? (Hayes and Temple neutral at best)

What pick sweeteners are you throwing in?
    Last edited by AusPel; 06-29-2022 at 09:15 AM.

I don’t think Hayes has neutral value. It’s slightly positive. Temple is neutral for a team that wants to have salary to trade in Feb. Graham might work his way back to neutral value after the contract or Brunson and others come in.

But yeah, you probably throw in a second or two. More cash. But remember, not all teams want to win as many games as possible this year. What you have to do is find a team who thinks of good players like Burks as a negative because he helps them win an extra game or two. Those are the teams you have to focus in on and sell them on “you want some guys that will help you lose games, I got some over here that helped us start 3-16!”

Thread Information