Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Dream Finish to the Pelicans 2022 Offseason

Dream Finish to the Pelicans 2022 Offseason

I think we all know that there won't be any big moves this summer, and that it will be more of an "around the edges" offseason. With that said, around the edges can still have massive impact short and long term. Jose Alvarado was around the edges. Bringing in Willy for the minimum a few years ago was around the edge and he has been a great part of the culture. Long ago, Anthony Morrow was around the edges and he was a big part of a playoff run. So, around the edges can matter.

Easy question for the thread -- How would you like to see the offseason (realistically) round out? I will start:

1.) Trade Jax and a 2nd for Isiah Stewart - Simple move that gives Detroit a different kind of big, as opposed to one very much like the guy they just drafted (Duren). Pels get another monster on the glass and continue to go all in on offensive rebounding being one of their strengths (Stewart averaged 4.5 offensive rebounds per 36). Also, more in line with the dog mentality of this team. Better human and culture fit.

2.) Sign EJ Liddell to a 2-way - I think that this is the better path. Sign him to a two way, with the understanding that you will use part of the MLE to give him a 3 or 4 year deal in March, when it no longer matters if you hard cap yourself

3.) Buyout Temple - Let him go find his own team, and hopefully he gives you a little money back for his freedom. 4 million buyout would be nice. Even if you dont stretch it, the savings there plus the savings from swapping Jax for Stewart now has you 6 million under the tax. More breathing room.

4) Sign Jarrett Culver 1 yr/2.5 mil, TO for 2nd year - Culver might have a few minimum offers this offseason. Give him a little more and get a team option for year 2, and roll the dice on a guy who they loved prior to that draft. Make no mistake, he has been TERRIBLE so far as a pro, but he just turned 23 and he basically went to a Minny team that was in the process of shaking everything up when he got there, and then they buried him under Ant once he was the pick. Maybe he is awful and the flyer produces nothing. Cool, cut him in March and convert EJ to a contract. But maybe he finds a role as a defender with some creation ability and gives you a little spark off the bench. If so, you move Naji in February and sign EJ in March.

Thats mine. What you got?
    @mcnamara247

Hall of Famer Contributor pjk481's Avatar
    I'd be happy with that offseason.

One quick question on stretch-provision that I can't find answer to:

Say the waive Temple before September 1. They'd get to stretch his contract over 3 years. Does the team have to make the "stretch" election simultaneously to waiving the player? Or can the team wait all the way until end of the league year to make that election? Obviously, being able to wait would provide flexibility.

My assumption is the election has to be made at time of waiver. But didn't see it directly addressed on CBABreakdown or other places.

I like options 1-3.

Quote Originally Posted by pjk481 View Post
    I'd be happy with that offseason.

One quick question on stretch-provision that I can't find answer to:

Say the waive Temple before September 1. They'd get to stretch his contract over 3 years. Does the team have to make the "stretch" election simultaneously to waiving the player? Or can the team wait all the way until end of the league year to make that election? Obviously, being able to wait would provide flexibility.

My assumption is the election has to be made at time of waiver. But didn't see it directly addressed on CBABreakdown or other places.
    You have to let it be known when you do it, or better yet, by Sept 1st. If you don't, then the current seasons salary cant be stretched. And he doesnt have any future years salary you are stretching. If he did - say he had 2 for 12 guaranteed, then you can waive him, not elect to stretch just yet, and 6 mil go on the books regardless, but then you stretch the other 6 mil over 3 in future years.

Long story short, we will have to know by Sept 1st if we want to eat it all this year or stretch over 3 (I see some bloggers say 5, but that would only be the case if there was some guaranteed money on the 2nd year, and there isnt

With my rather limited knowledge of the NBA...I am fairly useless in this conversation. However...I WOULD like to ask you if there is any way Liddell can contribute, at least to some degree, as a small ball 5? I was a Sochan-man...but I've been convinced we ended up with the better outcome with Daniels. BUT...given where I think the game is headed...I'm still hung up on what I feel is a glaring weakness at the "5". I know Liddell is kinda short for the "job"...but he seems to have much better hops than Sochan & might even be a better rim protector. I luv his defense, from what little I've seen & he seems like he can hold his own inside with that stout upper body. Yep...I'm still desperate...for that small ball 5.

Nance is the small ball 5.

And yes, EJ can contribute this year as a backup front court piece that would guard the 5 in some situations. If you are talking bench rotations, you are talking about defending the Plumlees of the world, not the Jokic

As far as adding culver, would he be in the same no minutes category as Graham? Also, Stewart would be taking minutes exclusively from nance right?

Nobody is guaranteed anything. Competition happens and say both guys lose out and don’t win any minutes, what did you sacrifice for that gamble? A guy you were gonna let go any way and a 2nd?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Nance is the small ball 5.

And yes, EJ can contribute this year as a backup front court piece that would guard the 5 in some situations. If you are talking bench rotations, you are talking about defending the Plumlees of the world, not the Jokic
    I've pretty much given up on defending Jokic or Embiid with ANY single player...both now & later. Those monsters can only be slowed down...by using more than one man. But luckily, how often will we be playing those 2 guys...in the playoffs when it REALLY matters? I'm just gonna hope we avoid the Nuggets in the playoffs, because they seem about ready to take the next step. And if we end up playing them...well...it's all hands on deck, as far as Jokic is concerned. We shouldn't even THINK...about playing that guy one-on-one.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dud View Post
    I've pretty much given up on defending Jokic or Embiid with ANY single player...both now & later. Those monsters can only be slowed down...by using more than one man. But luckily, how often will we be playing those 2 guys...in the playoffs when it REALLY matters? I'm just gonna hope we avoid the Nuggets in the playoffs, because they seem about ready to take the next step. And if we end up playing them...well...it's all hands on deck, as far as Jokic is concerned. We shouldn't even THINK...about playing that guy one-on-one.
    It always makes me laugh when people critique on stuff like ''well can they defend Jokic?''. Like, no, but then let me know when someone can
    Basketball.

Yeah, you both totally missed the point and argument. It’s good. Nance can’t slow Jokic or JV, etc

My point was exactly what you two are saying and everyone agrees with - you ain’t stopping top tier guys regardless so why do we ask the question of “Can X player be a 5?”

What does that question mean if we all know nobody could stop those monsters and that the guys below those monsters don’t get the ball any way

Yeah, you both totally missed the point and argument. It’s good. Nance can’t slow Jokic or JV, etc

My point was exactly what you two are saying and everyone agrees with - you ain’t stopping top tier guys regardless so why do we ask the question of “Can X player be a 5?”

What does that question mean if we all know nobody could stop those monsters and that the guys below those monsters don’t get the ball any way
    I know, I wasn't responding to your argument, just commenting more generally.

Stewart would be a nice get on a smaller contract for a year longer. I really like that deal. I am fine with that entire plan. Whether it is Culver or someone else, I do not mind taking a cheap flyer on a young guy who has not done well yet but was drafted in the 1st (so had expectations).

If we didn't draft EJ I would go with number 1 but since we have him I say we simply buyout Temple. Start the season and see how things come together.

5. Attach the Laker pick swap and the 24/25 1st to move Temple

Simples

I'm holding onto those laker swaps... they're gonna suck royally in a couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    I'm holding onto those laker swaps... they're gonna suck royally in a couple years.
    It was tongue in cheek

1. No more Jax. Nothing against the kid but things have run their course. We know he wont contribute on this team so lets cut bait and open up some minutes for other guys. It's not pertinent and can be done at the deadline but I'm over him on this team. Ideally I'd want to do Temple+Jax+HOU '24 2nd for someone like Saric, Olynyk, or JaMychal Green.

2. Sign Liddell to the last roster spot. We can send him down to Birmingham for minutes last year like Trey and Jax in prior years but I'd love if this guy gets to learn from BI, Herb, Nance, the coaching staff, get reps against Zion, etc.

I would also be cool doing a 1 for 1 in a Jax trade, buyout Temple, sign Liddell to a 2 way, and take a flyer with the last roster spot like MM laid out. I also dont want to trade DG for nothing or use assets to give him up. There is value to having a middling $11 mil on the roster to facilitate trades, he's basically a 2 yr/24 mil deal now.

CJ/Jose/Kira
    BI/DG/Naji
    Herb/Trey/Dyson
    Zion/Saric/Liddell
    JV/Nance/Willy
    Welcome to be here

Yeah, you both totally missed the point and argument. It?s good. Nance can?t slow Jokic or JV, etc

My point was exactly what you two are saying and everyone agrees with - you ain?t stopping top tier guys regardless so why do we ask the question of ?Can X player be a 5??

What does that question mean if we all know nobody could stop those monsters and that the guys below those monsters don?t get the ball any way
    At the "5"...I just ask for a decent rebounder, than can play switchable D on the 3-5 and MAYBE a bit on the 2...AND...just shoot a decent enough % from 3 to, at least to some degree... draw SOMEBODY... away from "Zion land". Offense, other than the threat of a wide open "3"...is not necessary (Ohh...and be a decent rim protector...while I'm askin')

My original question...in this thread was basically...since I really know very little about Liddell...is he tall enough and/or strong enough to hold his own vs the rest of non-monster 5s out there. If so, his other attributes would seem to "fit" better than Nance at small 5...if not...I'll search elsewhere for that elusive additional small 5
    Last edited by The Dud; 06-25-2022 at 04:33 PM.

As much as an ok player as Anthony Morrow was I'm pretty sure you meant Q-Pon and Norris Cole were around the edges moves that helped us get to the playoffs way back, right?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I like the Stewart move for the sole fact of him wanting to murder LeBron.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Don't trade future assets to dump anybody and no injuries. That's it. That's all I want from the rest of the offseason.

A very low maintenance scorer would be nice. Not getting minutes over our young guys, but if we need to replace some points in a pinch he’s there. Like if Jamal Crawford was still playing

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    I just need Temple and Graham gone.

Temple is just awful.

We are phasing out player profiles like Graham's, where they can only do one thing and are awful at another. He has no role on this team anymore, whatsoever.

I can take or leave Jax. NO way I would trade a 2nd to get him out of here when Isiah Stewart is just as MEH as he is.

With our scouting department killing it lately, those 2nd rounders are gold. Keep all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    I like the Stewart move for the sole fact of him wanting to murder LeBron.
    Agreed...I didn't have any idea who "Beef Stew" was...until that game. I'm pretty sure he was serious.

Thread Information