Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Pelicans 240

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Correct. If you all believe, believe. I will be right, but dont stop believing!
    But you were wrong about the culture so.....

In all honestly I don't think they win a ship, but having already followed this team (technically) since they were Charlotte Hornets in 1992, I just want a competitive team that give maximum effort and is fun to watch.

If they win or lose, this shouldn't define your life as a sports fan.

My analogy has always been -- I go to a movie and enjoy it for entertainment. Yeah, if I really love a movie or an actors performance, I hope they win some Oscar's, but thats just the cherry on top. The real enjoyment is the movie, at the time I am watching it. Its 2-3 hours on a night to shut your brain off and the world off. The title or bust culture is really annoying to me, and it should be the majority of the joy and/or discussion
    @mcnamara247

My analogy has always been -- I go to a movie and enjoy it for entertainment. Yeah, if I really love a movie or an actors performance, I hope they win some Oscar's, but thats just the cherry on top. The real enjoyment is the movie, at the time I am watching it. Its 2-3 hours on a night to shut your brain off and the world off. The title or bust culture is really annoying to me, and it should be the majority of the joy and/or discussion
    Yeah, while at the games, the world gets turned off. During the time periods between games, there is work and life. But there are moments when thoughts could turn to ... a better team. Ideally, the better team would go deeper in the playoffs. True, this takes luck. But how about this for luck? The Pelicans get to the second round of the playoffs next year, but get a high lottery draft from their Lakers pick! Has this even ever happened? Wow! OK, maybe even that wouldn't lead to a championship. But then the next year, maybe we get to the WCF and get yet another high lottery pick from the Lakers? Wow! Is that not worth at least thinking about?

Unlikely. Too early to put him into real action, but they think he will be ready for camp and still think he can be an important piece long term. Hasn?t been written off, short or long term
    That?s good to know. I still have high hopes for him.

Correct. If you all believe, believe. I will be right, but dont stop believing!
    I mean, technically you're wrong, but do you big guy

I thought it would be fun to compare to two years ago to see how far we have come.
    using https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask?q=2...utes+by+player

Here are the numbers for the top ten minute getters

Adams 27.6
    Bledsoe 29.6
    Ingram 34.4
    Williamson 33.2
    Lonzo 31.8

Josh 28.7
    NAW 21.9
    Jaxson 16.1
    Kira 16.7
    Willy 18.0
    Last edited by Rampart; 06-25-2022 at 11:19 PM.

Sounds like it is going to be hard to keep Dyson off the court all season. Pels had him 5th (!) on their Big Board. You arent going to just bench the 5th pick all season. Probably starts off on the bench, but similar to Kuminga in GS, I would expect to see him getting some real minutes around January

If you start at the end of the year and work backwards, what is the final piece? By that, I mean if this is 8 of your 9 for the stretch, going into the playoffs, what is the perfect last piece?

CJ-BI-Herb-Zion-JV

Daniels-Trey-Nance

I think you need one more catch and shoot guy, but he has to be able to attack closeouts and get to the rim. Defensively, he has to be able to guard at least two positions. So, not a Devonte Graham. Alec Burks has long been my favorite for this role. Gary Harris would be a cheaper version. Kennard makes some sense. Josh Richardson actually was a good catch and shoot guy again for SA after the trade. KCP and Batum are two others that were over 42% in catch and shoot situations. All solid options to round out the down the stretch 9

If you start at the end of the year and work backwards, what is the final piece? By that, I mean if this is 8 of your 9 for the stretch, going into the playoffs, what is the perfect last piece?

CJ-BI-Herb-Zion-JV

Daniels-Trey-Nance

I think you need one more catch and shoot guy, but he has to be able to attack closeouts and get to the rim. Defensively, he has to be able to guard at least two positions. So, not a Devonte Graham. Alec Burks has long been my favorite for this role. Gary Harris would be a cheaper version. Kennard makes some sense. Josh Richardson actually was a good catch and shoot guy again for SA after the trade. KCP and Batum are two others that were over 42% in catch and shoot situations. All solid options to round out the down the stretch 9
    I think he may already be in rotation. EJ

Sounds like it is going to be hard to keep Dyson off the court all season. Pels had him 5th (!) on their Big Board. You arent going to just bench the 5th pick all season. Probably starts off on the bench, but similar to Kuminga in GS, I would expect to see him getting some real minutes around January
    If we move Jax I just see a clearer path to getting him minutes too.

Should be Dyson/Trey playing more 3/4 and Larry playing more 4/5 without Jax there right?

The Franchise

CJ-BI-Herb-Zion-JV

Daniels-Trey-Nance

To me, we need a good SG that can shoot and defend. Beasly or maybe Oubre, I just don?t watch them enough to know how they are defensively. Being able to defend 1-3 is crucial.

I generally agree with Shamit's take on this:

We have CJ, Ingram, Trey, Herb, Jose, and potentially Kira when he returns, all returning from last year's team and getting minutes in the guard positions (I know some of them spend more time at the 3 and 4, but they've all spent minutes at the 1 or 2).

You add to that Dyson Daniels, who you hope - if things go well - will be able to provide solid developing minutes at some point this year, perhaps sooner rather than later depending, again, on Kira's return.

If you want to bring in a guard, tell me who is getting their minutes cut. That's what I want to know.
    Basketball.

I laid it out…

Kira and Jose come playoffs

Starting 5 plus Nance, Trey, and Daniels getting minutes. Need a 9th and I’d want a Burks as that 9th

Another thing with Daniels getting into the rotation sooner than later: he's at least theoretically going to be more used to the physicality and speed of the NBA than players coming from college or lower tier overseas leagues. The G League is obviously a far cry from the NBA itself, but the level of athletes there are generally NBA-caliber. Dyson showing he can hold up against that level of competition should bode well for him cracking the top 8-9 by December instead of the February doldrums.

The Franchise
    I know everyone love Jose. Hustle, heart, energy, I love it all but ideally he’s your 3rd PG/ball handler. Kira was showing flashes but this year we’ll have to wait to see how far he’s progressed. Personally I think CJ is the primary ball handler to start and would love Dyson to get backup PG minutes. We have BI or Herb at the 2 & 3 with no real backup at 2 and Trey backing up the 3/4. Zion and Val at the 4 & 5 with Nance backing them up. It be nice to have someone here as well. Lindell could get there but don’t know yet. We’ll use Kira, Naji, Jose, and Billy all throughout the year but in the playoffs maybe we go with matchups but who knows. Beasley would be good and expiring and at the 4-5 maybe take a chance on Bagley if not too expensive or even Bamba assuming we move Jax.
    Last edited by tdcreator; 06-26-2022 at 04:12 PM.

If Daniels was 5th on our board, was he over Murray or Ivey?

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    If Daniels was 5th on our board, was he over Murray or Ivey?
    Put the whole board in another thread, but to answer your question, Ivey was 4th

I laid it out…

Kira and Jose come playoffs

Starting 5 plus Nance, Trey, and Daniels getting minutes. Need a 9th and I’d want a Burks as that 9th
    I don't see anyway you can justify cutting Jose out if the playoff rotation after what he did last year, unless he regresses thus year. I feel like we already have our 9 man rotation. Potentially 10 is Jaxson takes another step, although I could also see us moving him at the deadline.

Put the whole board in another thread, but to answer your question, Ivey was 4th
    Very interesting they had Dyson over Murray.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    I don't see anyway you can justify cutting Jose out if the playoff rotation after what he did last year, unless he regresses thus year. I feel like we already have our 9 man rotation. Potentially 10 is Jaxson takes another step, although I could also see us moving him at the deadline.
    The NBA is littered with guys who showed a spark in the second half of the year when they were 10x hungrier than everyone on the court, wanted to prove something, and had more energy because they hadn’t played a ton during that year. And sometimes they prove to be long term pieces, and other times they don’t. I like Jose’s attitude but if we are really honest about his skill set, I could see a world where last year ends up being his high point.

Not saying it will be, and if he improves, awesome. But I don’t have him in pen for this upcoming season. He is in pencil for me

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I think Willie is going to want to play 10 guys, even in playoffs.

Thread Information