Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Ranking the West, as of today

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    What is the difference? Not sure how to answer that question.
    You mentioned previously that some things were moving down the road. Is he someone that there is a real target that has some traction (i.e. moving down the road)or is he just one of many the Pels have targeted if they should decide to move Hayes?

Everything we want to do is in the hands of other teams. We don’t have the desirable assets and the ability to choose. So to know if it’s likely to happen, I would need to know every option at the Pistons disposal. Which I don’t

What I do know is we haven’t been shot down on certain things. Those are what I consider progress. Whereas, some things have just been told straight up no way or the counter was a crazy price to pay and we stopped engaging
    @mcnamara247

Realistically, we should probably all provide three different rankings:

1. Zion plays the entire season (3 seed)
    2. Zion plays ~half the season (5-6 seed)
    3. Zion becomes Greg Oden (8 seed)

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Stuck to your guns as in, you didn't read everyone else's takes and modify what you thought, you just went with what you thought.

As to what those particular guns would be, I mean things like ranking the Clippers 1st when most other people have them ranked no higher than 3rd, placing the Pelicans out of the playoffs entirely and in a play-in situation, and listing the Lakers are a non-play-in-playoff spot. Those are all slightly unusual takes, imo, and despite them being in the minority in the thread you stuck with them anyway. Even if I think they're bad takes, I appreciate that you went for it.
    I'm no Wood fan (ha) but to me Porzingis over Wood might be the spiciest take of all there. Porzingis hasn't been good in like 5 years.

I'm reading that the Lakers could have an issue keeping Malik Monk due to his very low salary last year and not owning his rights. It makes it difficult to offer him even half what he is worth. Does anyone have interest in him ? Energetic, 39%+ from the three, solid defense. Does anyone know if the team does ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rampart View Post
    I'm reading that the Lakers could have an issue keeping Malik Monk due to his very low salary last year and not owning his rights. It makes it difficult to offer him even half what he is worth. Does anyone have interest in him ? Energetic, 39%+ from the three, solid defense. Does anyone know if the team does ?
    If you get Monk. you're probably sending Dyson to the gleague or shipping out Graham and Kira to make Monk and Dyson fit.

Monk of last year I would take over Graham and Kira but I would be worried about being biased on a bounce back season from him not repeating. He loves the Lakers and may not bring the same energy and/or fall to back to his previous years play if not on that team.

Quote Originally Posted by Rampart View Post
    Only way to get him would be to give him the full MLE and even that probably wouldn’t be enough as multiple teams will offer that. Do get to the full MLE, you would basically have to dump Graham and get nothing back, which would require picks.

So, long story short, of course he would be a solid player to add but it’s not really likely/possible

Would this change anything?

About as much as Melo going to the Lakers changed things IMO

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    I'm no Wood fan (ha) but to me Porzingis over Wood might be the spiciest take of all there. Porzingis hasn't been good in like 5 years.
    Not really a hot take at all. Porzingis is still a superior talent to Wood, I don't think that's even debatable. He just wasn't a good fit with Luka, but when Luka was out and when he got traded to DC, he played well.

I haven't been keeping up with Wall, but what about his on court performance that will make you guys think he will be a negative or non factor for a team? Did he lose a step?
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    I haven't been keeping up with Wall, but what about his on court performance that will make you guys think he will be a negative or non factor for a team? Did he lose a step?
    Like 3 or 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Three main things:

1) His main strength on offense was always speed. You may remember, he was lightning quick in his prime. That's how he created advantages, which opened up his ability to drive, gave him room on the perimeter, drew in help defenders, and also opened passing windows. He is now not that fast. He's not suddenly the league's slowest person but his insane and unique speed is no longer there.

2) He used to be known as a fairly strong defender at the guard positions. He has been a poor defender for several years now. That might just be because he hasn't got that many minutes or played many games which has allowed him to atrophy, so there's a possibility his defense will recover a bit in LA, but for now it's fair to think he's lost that strength.

3) In the 70 or so games he's played over the last 4 years he has displayed some of the worst shot selection and offensive feel I can remember seeing out of any superstar. It has been, at times, sub-Westbrook levels. Again, this could just be the result of rust after so little playing time in years and it could improve as he gets back into things, but it's a risk. Maybe he's just let his game degenerate - due to injuries and sitting out - to a point that its irreparable. After all, it's been four years since he last played a real season.
    Basketball.

Season Ticket Holder
    Three main things:

1) His main strength on offense was always speed. You may remember, he was lightning quick in his prime. That's how he created advantages, which opened up his ability to drive, gave him room on the perimeter, drew in help defenders, and also opened passing windows. He is now not that fast. He's not suddenly the league's slowest person but his insane and unique speed is no longer there.

2) He used to be known as a fairly strong defender at the guard positions. He has been a poor defender for several years now. That might just be because he hasn't got that many minutes or played many games which has allowed him to atrophy, so there's a possibility his defense will recover a bit in LA, but for now it's fair to think he's lost that strength.

3) In the 70 or so games he's played over the last 4 years he has displayed some of the worst shot selection and offensive feel I can remember seeing out of any superstar. It has been, at times, sub-Westbrook levels. Again, this could just be the result of rust after so little playing time in years and it could improve as he gets back into things, but it's a risk. Maybe he's just let his game degenerate - due to injuries and sitting out - to a point that its irreparable. After all, it's been four years since he last played a real season.
    John Wall last played in the NBA on April 23, 2020. No one knows how fast he is. No one knows how he plays defense. No one knows what his decision-making is.

John Wall is 31 years old. His return might be Westbrook-esque. Or the time off could rejuvenate him and he comes back healthy, fast as heck and motivated to play hard for the first contender he's ever been a part of.

We just don't know. I wouldn't make any assumptions about his play.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post

This is high reward practically no risk for the Clippers.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    This is high reward practically no risk for the Clippers.
    John Wall was basically kicked off of the Rockets team last season. There is definitely risk. Also, it's very possible that Reggie Jackson is better at this point in their careers

Paying him peanuts though. Worth the risk.

It can’t be that enjoyable to be a clippers fan

Quote Originally Posted by Upper Decker View Post
    John Wall last played in the NBA on April 23, 2020. No one knows how fast he is. No one knows how he plays defense. No one knows what his decision-making is.

John Wall is 31 years old. His return might be Westbrook-esque. Or the time off could rejuvenate him and he comes back healthy, fast as heck and motivated to play hard for the first contender he's ever been a part of.

We just don't know. I wouldn't make any assumptions about his play.
    First of all, John Wall last played in April of 2021, not 2020. So you've basically just erased an entire year worth of recency from your evaluation, which isn't the best place to start. My assessments are based on how he was playing last time we saw him, which was 2021, not 2020.

The second thing is, you're telling me not to ''make any assumptions about his play''. Which is fair. Except, in the post you are literally responding to - and therefore should have read - I literally say things like ''there's a possibility his defense will recover'', ''this could be the result of rust'', ''it could improve as he gets back into things'' etc. The complaint you're making - which is that we can't be 100% sure that his last appearance is representative of how he will look on the Clippers - is a complaint I already included and responded to in the very post you are responding to.

Season Ticket Holder
    First of all, John Wall last played in April of 2021, not 2020. So you've basically just erased an entire year worth of recency from your evaluation, which isn't the best place to start. My assessments are based on how he was playing last time we saw him, which was 2021, not 2020.

The second thing is, you're telling me not to ''make any assumptions about his play''. Which is fair. Except, in the post you are literally responding to - and therefore should have read - I literally say things like ''there's a possibility his defense will recover'', ''this could be the result of rust'', ''it could improve as he gets back into things'' etc. The complaint you're making - which is that we can't be 100% sure that his last appearance is representative of how he will look on the Clippers - is a complaint I already included and responded to in the very post you are responding to.
    Oh please, please, please forgive me for all my transgressions!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    John Wall was basically kicked off of the Rockets team last season. There is definitely risk. Also, it's very possible that Reggie Jackson is better at this point in their careers
    Wall didn't play because the team didn't want to risk him getting hurt while they looked for trade partners.

If Reggie Jackson is better(which he very well may be) what does it cost the Clippers? Which is why this is so low risk for the team. If John Wall is absolutely washed you just cut him.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Wall didn't play because the team didn't want to risk him getting hurt while they looked for trade partners.

If Reggie Jackson is better(which he very well may be) what does it cost the Clippers? Which is why this is so low risk for the team. If John Wall is absolutely washed you just cut him.
    There’s way more to the Wall story

Quote Originally Posted by coreylaron View Post
    It can’t be that enjoyable to be a clippers fan
    Pick your poison around these parts; Broken Kawhi and Playoff P vs. Street Clothes Davis and Westbrick.

Clippers fans have historically low expectations compared to Lakers fans, however.

Thread Information