Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the Pelicans, Dyson Daniels

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Will be interesting to revisit this at the end of the year. I think, even with limited minutes, Dyson will look like he is clearly the best prospect of the 3. Not that any of the three will disappoint. Dyson will just be a head above because of all the skills, combined with having the same tenacity, IQ, and human level as Herb
    I believe you. My hindrance is I’m not able to watch his full games, just snippets

My God those suits are atrocious

Trey looks good, however

and human level

We still own the rights to 2 more Laker 1sts

Griff doing the Lord's work

Biggest thing about Daniels that we haven?t touched on a ton is that this is the era of the guard, especially in the West. Luka, Ja, Booker, Ant, Jalen Green, SGA, and others are the future of the Western Conference. The more guys you have to throw at them, the better off you will be. The more defenses you can show them (switch, hedge, blitz, etc), the better off you are.

Daniels is quick and long enough to stay in front of anyone. He can switch and help defend at the rim when he gets off the guard and maybe most importantly, he can defensive rebound when that happens too. Gonna need some weight to handle Luka in the post, but his length will give him fits on the perimeter. Built in a lab to be the best possible guy to defend Ja

You can?t stop those guys but making stars inefficient is the road path to beating their teams. Pels just grabbed the guy in the draft who figures to have the best success against those players
    Yea this is where I was at as well. I love Herb, but I don't want him chasing around the team's PG all night. We just got torched by CP3 in the playoffs. That series may have been different if we had Daniels in there for a few stretches.

The thing I'm most excited about watching Daniels' interview with Schmitz (I apologize if this was already brought up) is his ability to rebound the ball as a guard and throw full court outlet passes. That trait as a guard is invaluable next to Zion because, not only does it allow Zion to get out in transition more often, but it covers up for one of Zion's main weaknesses, defensive rebounding. When your guard is a great to elite rebounder for his position, it allows you to be so much more flexible rotationally.

I can realistically see Zion and Trey as the bigs in lineups with Daniels, BI, and Herb in the near future

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Yea this is where I was at as well. I love Herb, but I don't want him chasing around the team's PG all night. We just got torched by CP3 in the playoffs. That series may have been different if we had Daniels in there for a few stretches.

The thing I'm most excited about watching Daniels' interview with Schmitz (I apologize if this was already brought up) is his ability to rebound the ball as a guard and throw full court outlet passes. That trait as a guard is invaluable next to Zion because, not only does it allow Zion to get out in transition more often, but it covers up for one of Zion's main weaknesses, defensive rebounding. When your guard is a great to elite rebounder for his position, it allows you to be so much more flexible rotationally.

I can realistically see Zion and Trey as the bigs in lineups with Daniels, BI, and Herb in the near future
    If Lonzo is Daniels at home, Daniels is Lonzo out at the shops

Dude is ********ing smart though. I love hearing him talk about speeding up his shot. Self awareness is important

We still have 2 more potential lottery picks over the next few years.

Absolutely bonkers

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Daniels is going to be a star if he improves his shot and ability to finish. It?s very possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually liked his suit, for what it's worth
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Heard a lot of good things about his play, happy they got who they wanted. Can't wait to see him play.

Yes. When Lonzo was here, he had a lot of plays that ended poorly because he was make a split second pass that the receiving player wasn't swift enough to gather properly. It's like he was moving faster than the other players....he'd make this insanely fast/out it nowhere pass to Jax or Addams and one of them would bumble it. Zion has that same ability to react fast and I was sad we never really got to see that connection blossom....from what I've seen (admittedly not much) of him, Dyson has that same split second playmaking ability. It'll be fun to see him paired with Zion in the future.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Here’s an insanely detailed article/scouting report on Dyson.

https://multiplicitymedia.com/top-3-dyson-daniels/

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

If youu want a really great feel for the impact Daniels has on the game, check this one out and just watch the way he positions himself offensively, defensively, and on the glass. There's a bonus beautiful lob throw on a play you see the Pels run with Zion frequently. To the person who said the ball sticks in Dyson's hands, I have no idea what you are watching.

You can also see where his game will benefit tremendously from ditching Jaden Hardy

He's similar to Herb in that, offensively, he makes cuts because he knows he will draw a defender away from his teammate. Basically creates an open shot without even touching the ball. It's something that Herb is really good at as well, and I think it stems from having a high defensive IQ

He's similar to Herb in that, offensively, he makes cuts because he knows he will draw a defender away from his teammate. Basically creates an open shot without even touching the ball. It's something that Herb is really good at as well, and I think it stems from having a high defensive IQ
    It also comes from knowing that if you're having trouble impacting the game as a shooter, your only way to produce offense off the ball is by dragging defenses around, cutting, and trying to find seams that open up towards the basket. You have to have some self awareness to do it because otherwise you spot up every possession and defenses ignore you because they don't see you as a shooting threat. We've had guys like that before and it's ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    It also comes from knowing that if you're having trouble impacting the game as a shooter, your only way to produce offense off the ball is by dragging defenses around, cutting, and trying to find seams that open up towards the basket. You have to have some self awareness to do it because otherwise you spot up every possession and defenses ignore you because they don't see you as a shooting threat. We've had guys like that before and it's ugly.
    Defenses aren't going to truly be able to ignore him regardless because he is such a high level passer. With the amount of play finishers that we have, he will pick you apart if you ignore him

Defenses aren't going to truly be able to ignore him regardless because he is such a high level passer. With the amount of play finishers that we have, he will pick you apart if you ignore him
    We've had very high level passers before that got ignored anyway because they weren't a threat outside of shooting. Moving off ball and having the ability to do basic, fundamental drives will take you a long way - that's the difference in what Daniels has right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    We've had very high level passers before that got ignored anyway because they weren't a threat outside of shooting. Moving off ball and having the ability to do basic, fundamental drives will take you a long way - that's the difference in what Daniels has right now.
    Well, if you're referring to Lonzo, he couldn't float his way out of a paper bag. Daniels is a legitimate threat to put the ball on the floor and score within the arc.

Well, if you're referring to Lonzo, he couldn't float his way out of a paper bag. Daniels is a legitimate threat to put the ball on the floor and score within the arc.
    Well yes, which is the exact point I'm making. Moving off ball and having the ability to make basic fundamental drives will take you a long way - that's the difference between Daniels (who can do those things) and the other off-ball connective passers we've had in the past.

Good backgrounder on Daniels from his G-League coach… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwqSjuqzrQM

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Are the Pels having a press conference for the draft picks or no?

Thread Information