Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the Pelicans, Dyson Daniels

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I feel like you're not super thrilled with Dyson
    He wasn't my favourite prospect in the draft but I do like him! I had him 8th on my board and we picked him 8th, so I'm not going to complain.

He has stuff to work on, for sure, but if the things work out I think he can be really good. I hope he gets minutes this year.

I just meant that I never really watch highlight videos so I don't have a certain channel I go to or anything, but that's the one the G League themselves posted so it should be okay and representative of a good highlight reel
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    He wasn't my favourite prospect in the draft but I do like him! I had him 8th on my board and we picked him 8th, so I'm not going to complain.

He has stuff to work on, for sure, but if the things work out I think he can be really good. I hope he gets minutes this year.

I just meant that I never really watch highlight videos so I don't have a certain channel I go to or anything, but that's the one the G League themselves posted so it should be okay and representative of a good highlight reel
    From memory, all the guys on your big board were already gone?

From memory, all the guys on your big board were already gone?
    Nah I had Griffin and Duren above him, but apparently Griffin's medicals came back fairly troubling which is always something that drops guys down boards so I don't mind that too much. Duren I think will still be very good, but he's also a very different type of player to Daniels so they're not really in that much competition.

I like him. Very very glad we picked him over Dieng, and I prefer him to Mathurin as well who was getting a lot of discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Nah I had Griffin and Duren above him, but apparently Griffin's medicals came back fairly troubling which is always something that drops guys down boards so I don't mind that too much. Duren I think will still be very good, but he's also a very different type of player to Daniels so they're not really in that much competition.

I like him. Very very glad we picked him over Dieng, and I prefer him to Mathurin as well who was getting a lot of discussion.
    I had Daniels and Sochan as my top 2 targets, which I posted here

Dieng scares the hell out of me. Feels like a 2 years away from being 2 years away kind of guy

But Presti knows

Absolutely was not a huge Mathurin fan

Jose's dreaming about snatching that ball from him.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

No need to tear anybody down to lift others up, but curious who you guys think will have the best career (in order) amongst Daniels, Murphy, or Herb. I could make the argument for any order. Or, to put it in another context to help the exercise.... There is an expansion draft today and the Pelicans can only protect 2 of those 3, who are you protecting?

Personally, I think I go Daniels, Herb, Trey but I could also easily see a world where Trey is the best of the 3. Its tough
    @mcnamara247

Is it easier to get a handle or transform your jumper?

I would pretty confidently go Trey, Daniels, Herb if redrafting today. But if I needed a guy for a game today, I would pick Herb. If I was drafting based strictly on potential, I think it’s Daniels. Combination, it’s Trey for me

Is it easier to get a handle or transform your jumper?
    My belief is neither is easier, but that shooting 1000 jumpers a day is more enjoyable than doing ballhandling work, so more guys improve jumpers. Would be like saying - What is easier to grow - chest or quads? Answer is neither, but dudes love the bench press so more guys have big chests than big quads

going to be all over this thread. have no idea about the guy but looks like a high upside guy.

Biggest thing about Daniels that we haven’t touched on a ton is that this is the era of the guard, especially in the West. Luka, Ja, Booker, Ant, Jalen Green, SGA, and others are the future of the Western Conference. The more guys you have to throw at them, the better off you will be. The more defenses you can show them (switch, hedge, blitz, etc), the better off you are.

Daniels is quick and long enough to stay in front of anyone. He can switch and help defend at the rim when he gets off the guard and maybe most importantly, he can defensive rebound when that happens too. Gonna need some weight to handle Luka in the post, but his length will give him fits on the perimeter. Built in a lab to be the best possible guy to defend Ja

You can’t stop those guys but making stars inefficient is the road path to beating their teams. Pels just grabbed the guy in the draft who figures to have the best success against those players

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Biggest thing about Daniels that we haven’t touched on a ton is that this is the era of the guard, especially in the West. Luka, Ja, Booker, Ant, Jalen Green, SGA, and others are the future of the Western Conference. The more guys you have to throw at them, the better off you will be. The more defenses you can show them (switch, hedge, blitz, etc), the better off you are.

Daniels is quick and long enough to stay in front of anyone. He can switch and help defend at the rim when he gets off the guard and maybe most importantly, he can defensive rebound when that happens too. Gonna need some weight to handle Luka in the post, but his length will give him fits on the perimeter. Built in a lab to be the best possible guy to defend Ja

You can’t stop those guys but making stars inefficient is the road path to beating their teams. Pels just grabbed the guy in the draft who figures to have the best success against those players
    I totally agree. A true basketball aficionado understands that winning (especially in the post-season) begins with defensive. It may not be the most glamorous part of basketball (or truth be told...all team sports) but it is the most vital. If you can't stop your opponent, it doesn't matter how proficient you are on offense; nine times out of 10...you'll lose (see Pete Maravich). The average fan goes ga-ga over monster dunks...fluid pull-up jump shots...long-range threes...and powerful drives to the hoop. All four of those things are opportunity-based and they come and go depending on the night and the opponent. But, defense is the one constant that an opponent has no control over. Either you have it...or you don't. The lower scores in this past post-season (contrasted with those in the 2022 regular season) bears this out nicely.

Season Ticket Holder
    No need to tear anybody down to lift others up, but curious who you guys think will have the best career (in order) amongst Daniels, Murphy, or Herb. I could make the argument for any order. Or, to put it in another context to help the exercise.... There is an expansion draft today and the Pelicans can only protect 2 of those 3, who are you protecting?

Personally, I think I go Daniels, Herb, Trey but I could also easily see a world where Trey is the best of the 3. Its tough
    What an odd debate topic. I'll play: gimme Herb, Trey and Daniels cause Herb is the man and I know next to nothing about Daniels.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    I totally agree. A true basketball aficionado understands that winning (especially in the post-season) begins with defensive. It may not be the most glamorous part of basketball (or truth be told...all team sports) but it is the most vital. If you can't stop your opponent, it doesn't matter how proficient you are on offense; nine times out of 10...you'll lose (see Pete Maravich). The average fan goes ga-ga over monster dunks...fluid pull-up jump shots...long-range threes...and powerful drives to the hoop. All four of those things are opportunity-based and they come and go depending on the night and the opponent. But, defense is the one constant that an opponent has no control over. Either you have it...or you don't. The lower scores in this past post-season (contrasted with those in the 2022 regular season) bears this out nicely.
    The other thing about adding mroe guys who love to play D is that it raises the other guys intensity. You cant possibly loaf on D when you got Jose, and Dyson, and Trey, and Herb, etc grinding like dogs. It becomes your teams identity and that tide raises all ships. If Zion is going to reach his defensive potential, it is because of Willie and all these guys Griff added. You will stand out like a sore thumb during film sessions if you arent going 100% on that end.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I didnt love this prospect as much as others, entirely because I place very high value on perimeter shooting in guards. I hate having guards that cant be trusted to knock down open shots. However there are a couple things I like about this pick, besides the obvious things there are to like (his size, defense, IQ/court vision).

The fact that Daniels actually wanted to be in New Orleans is huge to me. During most of New Orleans basketball history we have had star players and role players who didnt want to be here, it kills the chemistry and potential of the team, makes it less fun for the players and fans. Amazingly we are no longer that team anymore and I think its important to continue fostering the atmosphere that has been created recently.

Also, the fact that we dont need him to play this year, like at all, makes me feel good about it. Give him some time to develop the shooting aspect of his game before he gets real minutes. Its not obvious for me to envision how he fits with the current rotation but by the time he is a real contributor his game might look different and the team makeup could look different too.

I’m protecting 1. Trey 2. Herb 3. Dyson. Trey’s a behemoth that going to be a 50/40/90 guy. Working on self creation. Will be a tough defender. He’s a fit with any lineup. While I feel like Dyson is more skilled than Herb, Herb has a sixth sense. He just knows what the best basketball play is every time. Dyson has a computer brain too, but Herb is closer to “baby Jesus” Troy Polamalu on defense. The reverse of this is that Dyson will eventually become a better shooter than Herb, and is much younger. By Herb’s age, could be a baby Jesus himself.

The other thing about adding mroe guys who love to play D is that it raises the other guys intensity. You cant possibly loaf on D when you got Jose, and Dyson, and Trey, and Herb, etc grinding like dogs. It becomes your teams identity and that tide raises all ships. If Zion is going to reach his defensive potential, it is because of Willie and all these guys Griff added. You will stand out like a sore thumb during film sessions if you arent going 100% on that end.
    TRUTH!!

Quote Originally Posted by coreylaron View Post
    I’m protecting 1. Trey 2. Herb 3. Dyson. Trey’s a behemoth that going to be a 50/40/90 guy. Working on self creation. Will be a tough defender. He’s a fit with any lineup. While I feel like Dyson is more skilled than Herb, Herb has a sixth sense. He just knows what the best basketball play is every time. Dyson has a computer brain too, but Herb is closer to “baby Jesus” Troy Polamalu on defense. The reverse of this is that Dyson will eventually become a better shooter than Herb, and is much younger. By Herb’s age, could be a baby Jesus himself.
    Will be interesting to revisit this at the end of the year. I think, even with limited minutes, Dyson will look like he is clearly the best prospect of the 3. Not that any of the three will disappoint. Dyson will just be a head above because of all the skills, combined with having the same tenacity, IQ, and human level as Herb

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    To play devils advocate.. Steph Curry just led his team to another title, against an opponent that had the DPOY at his own position.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    To play devils advocate.. Steph Curry just led his team to another title, against an opponent that had the DPOY at his own position.
    How Jrue has never won a DPOY is one of the crimes of the century

Many, many of his peers rate him as the best defender in the league. Never heard such praise for Smart

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    Defense is a team game, not an individual one. The Warriors just won another title... after a season in which they were the league's top defense.

Guess which team had the league's second best defense? It was Boston! In fact, all 6 of the league's top defenses (GSW, BOS, PHO, MEM, MIA, DAL) were playoff teams. Guess how many teams in the bottom defensive ten made the playoffs? Two, Hawks and Bulls.

The last 4 champions were all teams that fell in the top 10 of defensive rating that year.

The last time a team even made the finals - not even winning but just getting there - without being in the top half of the league in Drtg was the Cavs last trip.

Defense is a team game and if you want to go far in the playoffs you should probably be at least league average on defense. You can't be bad. You don't have to be the best in the league but you cannot be bottom ten.

Thread Information