Pelicans Report

Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Thread: Official 2022 NBA Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    Yep, and we picked Kira at 13. UGH.
    I remember being super sceptical of Kira all year that year, and being quite loudly vocal about preferring Maxey, and then right at the end of the draft process I allowed myself to be talked into viewing them as roughly even prospects. I still preferred Maxey but I was fine with taking a shot on Kira instead, and I shouldn't have listened to those people. Huge blunder on my part.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I remember being super sceptical of Kira all year that year, and being quite loudly vocal about preferring Maxey, and then right at the end of the draft process I allowed myself to be talked into viewing them as roughly even prospects. I still preferred Maxey but I was fine with taking a shot on Kira instead, and I shouldn't have listened to those people. Huge blunder on my part.
    Through my reckoning, if Kira was Maxey, we don't get Trey or Herb. Maybe one of them at the most

I'm not a fan of hindsight calls not affecting future events

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    EJ ranked 18 best overall player in the draft. We got him at 41.......23 spots lower.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/prospect-rankings/

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Through my reckoning, if Kira was Maxey, we don't get Trey or Herb. Maybe one of them at the most

They certainly would affect future events, but at the same time, if you'd drafted Maxey you'd have a really great promising young guard who also played valuable playoff impact minutes this year, so I doubt you'd be upset

I mean, even before the injury Kira was super dissapointing. He's just doesn't do anything above average. I'll just chalk it up to refining our draft strategy. At least we seem to learn from past mistakes and grow from it I guess.

They certainly would affect future events, but at the same time, if you'd drafted Maxey you'd have a really great promising young guard who also played valuable playoff impact minutes this year, so I doubt you'd be upset
    I'm more than content with the current roster situation (barring a couple mistakes)

I mean, even before the injury Kira was super dissapointing. He's just doesn't do anything above average. I'll just chalk it up to refining our draft strategy. At least we seem to learn from past mistakes and grow from it I guess.
    It's important to note that, in his defense, he didn't really get consistent minutes and he is very young. So I don't write him off.

My biggest worry for him is that his biggest advantage creation skill was speed and he just suffered two major leg injuries

I looked back at my comments of last years draft, and I wasn't excited at all for Trey or Herb. I honestly didnt even think Herb was going to make the team. I was kinda MEH on the whole thing.

Having Willie as coach is so damn good for these young player's development...it's crazy. They love him, and know that they better work definsively, hustle, and lock themselves in a gym until they improve their shooting or they will not get minutes.

Everyone has to EARN their minutes (except Garret Temple I guess)

It's important to note that, in his defense, he didn't really get consistent minutes and he is very young. So I don't write him off.

My biggest worry for him is that his biggest advantage creation skill was speed and he just suffered two major leg injuries
    I don't think there is room for him here at this point though, as far as roster spots? Maybe just have him rehab and G League? I wonder what their plans are?

I looked back at my comments of last years draft, and I wasn't excited at all for Trey or Herb. I honestly didnt even think Herb was going to make the team. I was kinda MEH on the whole thing.

Having Willie as coach is so damn good for these young player's development...it's crazy. They love him, and know that they better work definsively, hustle, and lock themselves in a gym until they improve their shooting or they will not get minutes.

Everyone has to EARN their minutes (except Garret Temple I guess)
    Having Willie may be the trump card that keeps Zion here long term

Was told that Zion contract will be signed before the 4th of July. Perhaps as soon as 12:01 on the 1st. It’s basically done. Don’t know details but he is signing it
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Was told that Zion contract will be signed before the 4th of July. Perhaps as soon as 12:01 on the 1st. It’s basically done. Don’t know details but he is signing it
    Surprising absolutely nobody.

Even if he does want to force his way out eventually, nobody can offer him the contract we can, so it only makes sense that he'd sign it and then ask out after (if it comes to that).

Personally I think as long as he can stay healthy-ish (60+ games a year) and we keep winning that won't happen, but who knows?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Can't wait to hear Kendrick Perkins' apology on national TV.

I was referring to not asking out (once signed) and possibly the third contract

But awesome news, nonetheless

I was referring to not asking out (once signed) and possibly the third contract

But awesome news, nonetheless
    I'm right there with you. I just want him under long term contract so we hold the cards if he asks out. I do believe that the shift in culture around the team gives him every reason to want to stay, though.

The question now is the 5th year

Is it a Player Option, or not?

Coming up next, on PelicansReport!

I'd LOVE to get no option on year 5, but at this point if Zion happily signs the contract on July 1st, I'd have nothing to complain about.

In a perfect scenario, there would be no player option and a medical protection.

In reality, I feel like we're getting one or the other. If there's medical protections he'll want the PO, and if he settles with no PO we'll have to make do with no protections. I'd be surprised if we managed both

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar

We'd prefer no option, but he's definitely getting a player option.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    We'd prefer no option, but he's definitely getting a player option.
    Ingram didn't

Zion was really screwed by Griffin's horrible decision to keep Gentry. Gentry was a career loser who tried too hard to be the cool Uncle and had no discipline. Then Griff tries to overcorrect to the opposite end of the spectrum, and SVG is out here yelling at guys and not letting them play their music during practice and pissing eveyone off by not being as player friendly as Gentry.

Finally we got a coach who is respected because he was a former player, knows the game inside and out, and how different players respond to coaching. They know he has their best interests in mind. Zion would be smart to try and stay here for as long as possible.

I'm ok with a PO, to be honest

If it's not working by year 8, will it ever work?

Can still offer him the most money if he opts out

I doubt it's solely about money at that stage, though

Is it me or does Liddell remind you of Draymond Green with a better a shot? Honestly can’t believe he fell to our pick

I've talked myself into liking the pick. We're obviously going after long wings that can defend which is a good thing.

Our two glaring issues is our 3pt. defense, 26th in the league in opponent's three point percentage, and our 3 pt. offense, 24th in the league in 3pt. percentage.

We definitely made moves to address the former.

And you just have to look at the two teams in the finals to see how important three point defense is. Boston was first in the league in opponent three point percentage, and Golden State was 3rd.

Still very concerned about Dyson's shooting, and still a bit bummed that we passed on Sochan (especially with San Antonio, a team with a proven record in the draft taking him). But I understand the pick, and I do agree that Dyson's ceiling should be pretty high.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    I've talked myself into liking the pick. We're obviously going after long wings that can defend which is a good thing.

Our two glaring issues is our 3pt. defense, 26th in the league in opponent's three point percentage, and our 3 pt. offense, 24th in the league in 3pt. percentage.

We definitely made moves to address the former.

And you just have to look at the two teams in the finals to see how important three point defense is. Boston was first in the league in opponent three point percentage, and Golden State was 3rd.

Still very concerned about Dyson's shooting, and still a bit bummed that we passed on Sochan (especially with San Antonio, a team with a proven record in the draft taking him). But I understand the pick, and I do agree that Dyson's ceiling should be pretty high.
    You're concerned about shooting and simultaneously lamenting Sochan?

Seems incongruent

Thread Information