Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans Summer League Thread & Schedule

Lofton was able to bully Chet a few times down in the paint, but I think people have overreacted to it a bit... Chet still finished at +20 in 26 minutes compared to Lofton's -16 in 24 minutes. That's a 36 point swing in game that Chet's team won by 16 points.

https://www.nba.com/game/mem-vs-okc-...core#box-score
    Last edited by Eyquem; 07-08-2022 at 03:42 AM.

Dieng looked solid out there. Really think spending a year in a professional league does wonders in developing players, you okay against grown men instead of other college kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyquem View Post
    Lofton was able to bully Chet a few times down in the paint, but I think people have overreacted to it a bit... Chet still finished at +20 in 26 minutes compared to Lofton's -16 in 24 minutes. That's a 36 point swing in game that Chet's team won by 16 points.

That's a ridiculous statistic in trying to compare the play of two players. The OKC Summer League team has more talent than the Grizzlies team they rolled out where they rested their better players I mean eyebrows were raised here about Naji playing for the Summer League team. They have freaking Josh Giddey playing heavy minutes in their Summer league.

I mean Chet did fine. Not nearly as effecient either offensively or defensively as before. But he rebounded well. But it's also true that Lofton often abused Chet in the paint. Something that is probably going to happen fairly frequently to Chet early on in his career.

Personally, I think that Chet's best position in the NBA is as a stretch 4 type of player where his length can bother other stretch forwards on the perimeter, and where he can utilize his shot blocking as a help defender.

People overreact to everything in SL.

Memphis was hilariously outmatched in that game. None of Ziaire Williams, David Roddy, Kennedy Chandler, Jake Laravia, Xavier Tillman, or Santi Aldema played in that one; whereas, OKC trotted out Giddey, Chet, Jalen Williams, Poku, Robinson Earl, and Dieng. A fools errand to look at +/- in such an affair

It's beginning to be clearer why Pels brass were so high on Dieng

Presti always a step ahead

What can we read into the fact that Dyson is one of only four first round picks not signed to a contract?

Season Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    It's beginning to be clearer why Pels brass were so high on Dieng

Presti always a step ahead
    Is the though? At some point he's going to have to field a team that can win games.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    What can we read into the fact that Dyson is one of only four first round picks not signed to a contract?
    How many of those first rounders have already played SL games or have one scheduled for tonight? I'd bet he signs prior to the game tomorrow

The contracts for both he and EJ are both drawn up and agreed to. The signing of them has little to do with the KD trade or anything big and more to do with losing leverage in other, smaller negotiations once they are signed. I would bet they get signed tomorrow afternoon
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    I still don?t think people quite understand the impact Jabari is about to have. He?s Klay if Klay was 6?10. He?s being undervalued at the present time, but he?ll be the most valuable on court presence in this draft in the long run. The difference between he and Paolo or Chet, however, is that he?s more dependent upon others. The Pels would not have even had a conversation about another prospect at 1, and that I can guarantee
    I love Jabari. The overreactions have been insane lol.

He's got a great motor and the way he can move his feet to contain guards has been awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    The contracts for both he and EJ are both drawn up and agreed to. The signing of them has little to do with the KD trade or anything big and more to do with losing leverage in other, smaller negotiations once they are signed. I would bet they get signed tomorrow afternoon
    Appreciate this fam !
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

What do y?all think the starting lineup will be for the first SL game? I have no idea, but would go with:

Trey
    Jose
    Naji
    Dyson
    Karlo

With the Pels first SL game today, it's time to remember the rules:

In Summer League, we do not care about FG%, 3PT%, Steals, 1v1 ballhandler defense, or raw assists data. These numbers are small sample size offensively, and defensively they occur against sub-NBA talent for the most part. Nobody cares if you can steal the ball from someone who would never handle the ball in an NBA game.

In Summer League, we do care about shot selection, 3PAr, blocks, off-ball defense, screen navigation, and passing craft. These are not reliant on makes or misses and show much more league-applicable skills. Also worth noting we don't care about blocks themselves, but instead can use them as a proxy for reaction time and quick twitch burst.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    If Naji plays the SL like he did last year, I would hope they shut him down quickly. He thought he was Harden out there and did not involve his teammates much.
    He shot the ball a lot yes, but he averaged 5 assists. Had 10 assists in that last game alone.

Herb's play was a true barometer of what was to come.

I'm also wondering what's going on with Brockington. He's interesting and would like to see him play.

So what's the story with John Butler? Not sure why a 7'1 kid with athleticism AND a jumpshot can't get drafted. Seems like a good kid too.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    So what's the story with John Butler? Not sure why a 7'1 kid with athleticism AND a jumpshot can't get drafted. Seems like a good kid too.
    Aside from the obvious frame issues (he weighs 20lbs less than Chet, and Chet's weight is a concern to some), he's just got a pretty undeveloped game so far. I know the highlights shows a few moments where it looks okay but overall his handle isn't great, he didn't excel as a passer in college, and he shot 50% at the rim despite being massive, which is terrible. Poor FT% (44%) combined with a poor FTr (took fewer than 1 FTA per game in college) doesn't give you much to work on there. Not really a rebounder either, partly because he gets moved easily.

IDK how medicals or interviews went because I have zero insider info but that's why I had him as a second round prospect, personally.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post

As raw as can be. I personally think it was a mistake for him to enter the draft after one year. Someone was not advising him right, because he's going to be spending a lot of time either not playing or in the G League (or perhaps Europe for a few years).

Has a great skill set, but the guy is a twig (and that's putting it nicely). He definitely needs to put meat on those bones, and needs to refine his game. He's someone though I want to hang onto, because I love the skillset he has. Definitely want him on the last two ways.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    As raw as can be. I personally think it was a mistake for him to enter the draft after one year. Someone was not advising him right, because he's going to be spending a lot of time either not playing or in the G League (or perhaps Europe for a few years).

Has a great skill set, but the guy is a twig (and that's putting it nicely). He definitely needs to put meat on those bones, and needs to refine his game. He's someone though I want to hang onto, because I love the skillset he has. Definitely want him on the last two ways.
    Yeah, I would like to see if we can develop him (his game and his body).

I think Karlo Matkovic is gonna surprise us today

Last edited by DroopyDawg; 07-09-2022 at 05:43 PM.

Main priority is health. Ivey just got injured. Hope he's okay, and certainly hope there's no imitations of that on the Pels. Everyone be sensible and careful, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Main priority is health. Ivey just got injured. Hope he's okay, and certainly hope there's no imitations of that on the Pels. Everyone be sensible and careful, please.
    This

Thread Information