Pelicans Report

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18

Thread: Pelicans Summer League Thread & Schedule

Somebody is going to sign John Butler to some kind of NBA contract; I hope it's the Pelicans. His shot doesn't look like it's coming out of the hands of a 7'1" big man. If the Pelicans don't move on him right away, I smell a repeat of Seth Curry.

Just checked the box score after the game's over and see that Butler was +34 lmao, that's ridiculous.

I know, I know, single game +/- and SL, but still very fun
    Basketball.

Yeah, you don't want to over hype Summer League, but a 7-footer with a clean jumper and decent athleticism who is under 20 is the kind of prospect you hope shows up on your summer team. He obviously has a ways to go physically, but if you squint real hard you can see some Chet at 19. He's an interesting prospect.

I though a lot of our summer league guys looked good. I assume we'll poach heavily for Birmingham, but I think we still have a two-way to give out and maybe an Exhibit-10? Not sure how they are handling Liddell's injury. Is there an NBA version of injured reserve? I should know that, but I'm not sure what allowances the league makes for guys injured before the season starts...

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    Yeah, you don't want to over hype Summer League, but a 7-footer with a clean jumper and decent athleticism who is under 20 is the kind of prospect you hope shows up on your summer team. He obviously has a ways to go physically, but if you squint real hard you can see some Chet at 19. He's an interesting prospect.
    I wouldn't say Chet personally, he doesn't have anything like the same versatility in terms of creation or passing, and I wouldn't really trust Butler's handle with any serious usage whereas I could trust Chet in transition at least, but yeah I do like the look of him and he's worth a further look for sure.

You should have an Exhibit 10 contract available.

You don't let a prospect like Butler get away. Plain and simple. You find a way to keep him in some capacity.

I will say my biggest critique of Butler as a shooter is that his release is trebuchet-slow. That's a concern at NBA level, of course - tonight, for example, all 6 of his 3s were wiiiiide open, and I don't know how clean it would have been if he'd been being harassed.

Obviously that's mitigated when your release is 4000 miles in the air but still, worth noting in a league where a lot of the best defenders are also massive and have huge wingspans.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I wouldn't say Chet personally, he doesn't have anything like the same versatility in terms of creation or passing, and I wouldn't really trust Butler's handle with any serious usage whereas I could trust Chet in transition at least, but yeah I do like the look of him and he's worth a further look for sure.
    Fair enough. I mainly meant physically and being a clean shooter at his age. But at 19 you're right Chet already had a more all around skill set than Butler has shown. I did say "some" Chet...

Again, Butler wasn't drafted for a reason. Everyone knew he was 7'1" and had a nice jumper. But, of course, every year you see guys who were not much as freshmen suddenly blossom as sophomores and become high draft picks very quickly--see Keegan Murray or Johnny Davis this year--blah freshmen who rocketed up draft boards after their second year in college.

Butler certainly could have been a guy who fit that profile at Florida State...

Fair enough. I mainly meant physically and being a clean shooter at his age.
    You know what's wild?

Chet outweighs Butler by about 20lbs already too.

Not rejecting your overall point I just think it's wild how incredibly thin Butler is. People have concerns about Chet being a twig, and Chet weighs significantly more than Butler.

He isn't a roster candidate but should be allowed to develop. He is 19. He needs the Gleague.

Butler is more polished (not more athletic) than JAX was as a rookie. Playing the game matters.

He is versatile at his size and literally could play multiple positions in a crunch. He can space and shoot now and needs to refine his overall game. Find a way to allow that during your watch.

You know what's wild?

Not rejecting your overall point I just think it's wild how incredibly thin Butler is. People have concerns about Chet being a twig, and Chet weighs significantly more than Butler.
    True, but Chet is at least a year older, no. Hey, they are both stick-thin, but Chet has shown already he can do at least some banging down low. No way Butler is anywhere near ready to play inside in the NBA. He might give you some weak side rim protection, but right now he'd be hunted to death on defense. But he's 19. I'd give at least some credence that the franchise can get some weight on him. Right now he makes Jaxon Hayes look like Hulk Hogan.

FWIW, here is an excerpt from his Draftnet draft profile...

[I][I][I]NBA Comparison: Christian Wood

Strengths: Upside, upside upside … Butler’s insane length combined with great shooting touch and range give him a great deal of intrigue as a long term prospect … Displayed the ability to consistently knock down the 3 ball and shows potential as a floor spacing big… Shows a willingness to battle and fight despite his obvious lack of muscle … “Wiry strong” player who shows solid agility and mobility … Has the length, quickness and timing to become a high level defender and rim protector … Shows great lateral foot speed to defend smaller players on the perimeter … Shows some ability to pull up on outside shots with excellent form … Solid shot blocking numbers with 1.2 per game considering his limited minutes (19 mpg) … Three point percentage was 39.3 on the season, hitting 33-84 of his three point shots … A good athlete with excellent balance and body control for a 7 footer ...

True, but Chet is at least a year older, no. Hey, they are both stick-thin, but Chet has shown already he can do at least some banging down low. No way Butler is anywhere near ready to play inside in the NBA. He might give you some weak side rim protection, but right now he'd be hunted to death on defense. But he's 19. I'd give at least some credence that the franchise can get some weight on him. Right now he makes Jaxon Hayes look like Hulk Hogan.
    Yeah, I don't disagree that he needs to put on weight, of course. I don't think for a single second that Butler is ready to ''play inside in the NBA'', I agree with you that he'd get bulldozed regularly. I agree with the others who have discussed keeping an eye on him, maybe Exhibit 10 or something (I honestly don't even recall at this point what options we have, and I'd be lying if I pretended I remembered) but G League is the right place, for sure.

Again, being pedantic, but Chet isn't ''at least a year older'', he's actually only about 7 months older. Chet just barely turned 20, Butler turns 20 in December.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    You know what's wild?

Idk who was advising Butler, but he should not have entered the draft. Love the skillset but his frame is not ideal at all. That said, I want him for our final 2 way, and continue to develop him.

I would like to see us give him an Ex10 contract and have him develop with the Squadron.

That would be ideal, if we can get away with it.

Can't close the book on Summer without pausing to note how good my pre-draft wish would have looked--trading 8 + Jax to hornets for 13 & 15 and taking Agbaji + Eason. Happy with Dyson and I'm sure he'll be good for us, but continue to think there's a lot to be said for just taking guys you know can play. Most seemed to hate idea of trading back for "role" players, but I'd have been stoked to roll into next season with those two guys on my second unit with Jose, Trey and Nance. But apparently you can't use a top-10 pick to draft things you need...

Thread Information