Pelicans Report

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans Summer League Thread & Schedule

Plowden seems like a really smart dude. Seems like a perfect culture fit for the Pels. I still would not be surprised to see them try to get Liddell on the 15 so they can make Plowden a two way

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Well then you risk him walking, so that wouldn't necessarily be smart. There's an agreement in place and the Pels knew the risk
    Walk how? You need 4 years to be an unrestricted free agent. If he doesn't want to sign a 2-way (doubt there's any chance of that happening), Pels retain his rights.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Walk how? You need 4 years to be an unrestricted free agent. If he doesn't want to sign a 2-way (doubt there's any chance of that happening), Pels retain his rights.
    Would he not become an RFA?

Would he not become an RFA?
    Maybe, unless he's signing a 2yr 2-way contract. Doubt there will be much interest in a RFA coming off a torn ACL though, and even if there was, can't imagine it would be at a figure we wouldn't match if we wanted to keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Maybe, unless he's signing a 2yr 2-way contract. Doubt there will be much interest in a RFA coming off a torn ACL though, and even if there was, can't imagine it would be at a figure we wouldn't match if we wanted to keep him.
    Pelicans are not going to play around and lose Lindell. But they have shown greater depth on the Summer League roster than I think they realized. Most of the guys could make up the G League roster. With that said I expect a move or two on the existing roster. You have relatively young guys to pick from and some have the skills the Pelicans are looking for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee2000 View Post
    Pelicans are not going to play around and lose Lindell. But they have shown greater depth on the Summer League roster than I think they realized. Most of the guys could make up the G League roster. With that said I expect a move or two on the existing roster. You have relatively young guys to pick from and some have the skills the Pelicans are looking for now.
    Right, but it makes more sense to have a guy on a two way that would actually benefit from the G-League minutes, which is why I would try to get Liddell a spot on the 15 man. There was an agreement for Liddell to be on a two way where he would sign a Jose-like contract at the end of the season, but the dynamics have changed following the injury. I just wonder if that changes things from the Pels perspective, or if they'll still just proceed with the two way and then promotion at the end of the year

Right, but it makes more sense to have a guy on a two way that would actually benefit from the G-League minutes, which is why I would try to get Liddell a spot on the 15 man. There was an agreement for Liddell to be on a two way where he would sign a Jose-like contract at the end of the season, but the dynamics have changed following the injury. I just wonder if that changes things from the Pels perspective, or if they'll still just proceed with the two way and then promotion at the end of the year
    Why wouldn't they? Wouldn't it make more sense to use the 2 way on him rather than committing a roster spot to him all season? The person who fills that 15th spot could get assigned to the G League for most or all of the time if needed, but still be able to play if needed as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Why wouldn't they? Wouldn't it make more sense to use the 2 way on him rather than committing a roster spot to him all season? The person who fills that 15th spot could get assigned to the G League for most or all of the time if needed, but still be able to play if needed as well.
    Yea I mean theoretically, if you think the guy you are signing to the 15 is deserving of a roster spot all season, sure. But I think we have found recently that the two way can be somewhat of a rotating door. Regardless, Liddell will be on the 15 with a guaranteed contact at some point this season. Just depends on whether you want to do it now or later. Would you actually want to sign Plowden as the 15th guy? That seems premature

Yea I mean theoretically, if you think the guy you are signing to the 15 is deserving of a roster spot all season, sure. But I think we have found recently that the two way can be somewhat of a rotating door. Regardless, Liddell will be on the 15 with a guaranteed contact at some point this season. Just depends on whether you want to do it now or later. Would you actually want to sign Plowden as the 15th guy? That seems premature
    I guess no decision needs to be made now, but that 15th spot could become valuable if a player gets bought out and actually likes what we are building here or if we find a player after cuts that is worth taking a shot on.

If I thought for a moment that the 15th position on this team would move the needle, I would be all for filling it with an able body. But there is so much more to be gained by taking care of your own. We talk about building the team's 'culture'. Well, here's an opportunity for the team to step on and back their mantra. Liddell trusted the process...now, let the process deliver for Liddell.

Everyone's watching.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    If I thought for a moment that the 15th position on this team would move the needle, I would be all for filling it with an able body. But there is so much more to be gained by taking care of your own. We talk about building the team's 'culture'. Well, here's an opportunity for the team to step on and back their mantra. Liddell trusted the process...now, let the process deliver for Liddell.

Everyone's watching.
    No one is suggesting he not be taken care of. The end result is the same. It is just a matter of which roster position provides the most flexibility. The team will just have to decide if they want the flexibility of the 2-way or the use of a full roster spot for the season.

No one is suggesting he not be taken care of. The end result is the same. It is just a matter of which roster position provides the most flexibility. The team will just have to decide if they want the flexibility of the 2-way or the use of a full roster spot for the season.
    I stand by my post. Either the team is, indeed, principled or they are feeding everyone a whole lot of fluff.

We'll see.

I stand by my post. Either the team is, indeed, principled or they are feeding everyone a whole lot of fluff.

We'll see.
    You're acting like we know for certain what the conversations were between the team and the player/agent. We don't have any idea what they conveyed, so to call in question their integrity seems a little exteme.

We'll see.
    Except that your claim about principles is baseless. If the player gets the same contract either way, where is the principle issue with using one roster spot over another?

Except that your claim about principles is baseless. If the player gets the same contract either way, where is the principle issue with using one roster spot over another?
    The salary for a two way contract is about half of the league minimum. I guess that's 'baseless' if you are not the player involved.

Again, I stand by my statement.

The salary for a two way contract is about half of the league minimum. I guess that's 'baseless' if you are not the player involved.

Again, I stand by my statement.
    When it is converted before the end of the year, the contract is structured to ensure he is paid what he would have made had he been on a full contract all season (same as Alvarado). If the rumors here are true, that was already decided prior to his injury, so why would that be an issue if they live up to their commitment? Not an issue at all.

Anybody watching this game?

When it is converted before the end of the year, the contract is structured to ensure he is paid what he would have made had he been on a full contract all season (same as Alvarado). If the rumors here are true, that was already decided prior to his injury, so why would that be an issue if they live up to their commitment? Not an issue at all.
    Sorry. You are only offering pure, unadulterated conjecture (your best guess).

Again, I stand by my post. The team needs to make the young man whole. Liddell trusted the process; now let's see if his trust is reciprocated.

This Lakers summer team not that bad. Anthony Davis better take note.

Scottie Pippen sitting on our bench now?

What do You think about Petty Jr. and T.Jones ? I like shooting from Petty and rebounding from Jones. Can We give them a chance in our G-League team ?

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Creative View Post
    What do You think about Petty Jr. and T.Jones ? I like shooting from Petty and rebounding from Jones. Can We give them a chance in our G-League team ?
    I think Petty for sure will be with BHam. Jones plays overseas, so he may be harder to retain. But, of the two, I think Jones is the better player. I enjoy watching him. He?s relentless.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    I think Petty for sure will be with BHam. Jones plays overseas, so he may be harder to retain. But, of the two, I think Jones is the better player. I enjoy watching him. He?s relentless.
    Agree . +1

Sorry. You are only offering pure, unadulterated conjecture (your best guess).

Again, I stand by my post. The team needs to make the young man whole. Liddell trusted the process; now let's see if his trust is reciprocated.
    If a 2-way was already agreed upon (which 2 different sources here have stated and local media have speculated), I see no problem holding to that commitment. That is the definition of making him whole. Jose's contract is fact, not conjecture at all. Your speculation is what is unadulterated conjecture. Jose's contract and the way the Pelicans handled it is actual factual precedence. You do you though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    After watching Petty in SL, not a fan. His defense is beyond bad. I like Jones. I really like Sirvydis and would like to see him in BHM, but expect he will return overseas.

Thread Information