Pelicans Report

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans Summer League Thread & Schedule

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    The funny thing about ACL/MCL/achilles, is when they're bad guys can usually get up and put weight on it.

The fact that he was in so much pain and couldn't bear weight the 2nd time has me hopeful it's not that serious.
    Good call. Coach is calling it a right knee sprain

"Boy got 30 points and no defense"

--Brandon Xavier Ingram

I’m asking a straight question here, not trying to start something: shouldn’t Z be around the team some? I look up and see BI messing with Trey. Jose, Herb, and even Kira are there. CJ’s around. The guy just signed a mammoth deal and is our franchise player. I don’t get it. Just show in Vegas for a day. Maybe he’s coming out later in the week…

I stopped watching before EJ went down, a second time I guess. That sucks. And I stand by my criticism of Naji. That pass sucked and put EJ in an awkward position especially with all the guys around him. I think Trey has handled this SL perfectly by concentrating on the parts of his game that he needed to work on. Naji on the other hand just showcased why he isn't long for this league.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    I’m asking a straight question here, not trying to start something: shouldn’t Z be around the team some? I look up and see BI messing with Trey. Jose, Herb, and even Kira are there. CJ’s around. The guy just signed a mammoth deal and is our franchise player. I don’t get it. Just show in Vegas for a day. Maybe he’s coming out later in the week…
    I think he told Gayle that he'd be there on the 13th.

I?m asking a straight question here, not trying to start something: shouldn?t Z be around the team some? I look up and see BI messing with Trey. Jose, Herb, and even Kira are there. CJ?s around. The guy just signed a mammoth deal and is our franchise player. I don?t get it. Just show in Vegas for a day. Maybe he?s coming out later in the week?
    As representatives of Nike, both Zion and Luka had a commitment to be in Paris, France this weekend for the Quai 54 streetball tournament, which is quite a big deal in Europe. He will likely come to Vegas when he gets back in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by BasedPelican View Post
    Good call. Coach is calling it a right knee sprain
    They won't know for certain until the MRI.

He's in France with Luka doing a Jordan promo.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec3333 View Post
    As representatives of Nike, both Zion and Luka had a commitment to be in Paris, France this weekend for the Quai 54 streetball tournament, which is quite a big deal in Europe. He will likely come to Vegas when he gets back in the US.
    Saw a tweet that he’d be in Vegas on the 13th.. wouldn’t read too much into it

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    The funny thing about ACL/MCL/achilles, is when they're bad guys can usually get up and put weight on it.

The fact that he was in so much pain and couldn't bear weight the 2nd time has me hopeful it's not that serious.
    Unfortunately, not being able to bear weight is not a good sign.

Any update? I'm expecting a meniscus tear and mcl sprain at this point.

This Liddell injury has kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. First off, it seems kind of questionable for him to be playing in the Summer League while not signed to a contract. Maybe this kind of thing is common place for second round draft picks and I’m being naive. Maybe we offered him a 2 way and he refused, but still wanted to play in Summer League, but…

The real problem I have is the fact that we rushed him back on the court after he initially hurt his knee. There was no way that the Pelicans’ staff had the time to properly assess his initial knee injury. He should have been held out as a precaution. The issue with knee injuries is even if the first one isn’t terribly significant, it can still cause a lack of stability which can lead to a more significant injury.

It makes it even worse that we put him back out there when he was playing without a contract.

Hopefully we do the right thing by him and at least sign him to a two way contract to give him some financial stability if he does have a lengthy rehab.
    Last edited by Freyfamilyreuni; 07-12-2022 at 10:10 AM.

Season Ticket Holder
    None of us are orthopedists, but to me, EJ's second injury was a freak thing that was completely independent of the first injury. We have a great medical team and he was cleared to go back.

No one will ever know if the first injury made it so that the second injury was more severe. But it sure looked like anyone woulda gotten badly injured the way he was compromised on that second one.

I really don’t think he was out long enough to get a real evaluation of his knee. And it just so happens that it’s the same knee that he hurt before. Whether or not his initial injury contributed to the second injury is speculation and we’ll probably never know. But the problem is any injury to the knee can cause stability issues which makes you more susceptible to subsequent injuries. He shouldn’t have been put back out there that quickly for a Summer League game.

There has been no official word on Lindell has there? A sprain is one thing. Torn things are another.

Plowden showed some things. He showed more for a 2 way contract than the gentleman from NC State.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee2000 View Post
    Plowden showed some things. He showed more for a 2 way contract than the gentleman from NC State.
    Hoping Seabron has shown a lot in practice because he has shown nothing on the court yet.

Season Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    I really don’t think he was out long enough to get a real evaluation of his knee. And it just so happens that it’s the same knee that he hurt before. Whether or not his initial injury contributed to the second injury is speculation and we’ll probably never know. But the problem is any injury to the knee can cause stability issues which makes you more susceptible to subsequent injuries. He shouldn’t have been put back out there that quickly for a Summer League game.
    You have no idea how long a knee evaluation takes. You're entitled to your opinion, but you're just pulling this opinion out of your heiney.

Quote Originally Posted by Upper Decker View Post
    You have no idea how long a knee evaluation takes. You're entitled to your opinion, but you're just pulling this opinion out of your heiney.
    They let him play after he tweak his knee which is very unlike our medical staff to even risk. So, we don't know what happened, but the protocol should always be to shut the player down when they tweak a lower leg injury. I get our medical staff has been giving passes a lot lately to tweaks and minor injuries in our playoff runs. This isn't the case and they should of sat him down for to the night after tweaking it. Evaluate in the morning.... These games are meaningless and the risk was unnecessary.
    Last edited by Taker597; 07-12-2022 at 12:05 PM.

He is literally all over social media doing a Nike think in France. He will be back this week.

Makes sense why we got him on an Exhibit 10 instead of the 2nd round where he was projected, and why he's not playing in summer league. They must love him

Brockington is entitled to his privacy regardless of our questions (in particular mine). I think he showed a lot at Iowa State against good competition.

Season Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    They let him play after he tweak his knee which is very unlike our medical staff to even risk. So, we don't know what happened, but the protocol should always be to shut the player down when they tweak a lower leg injury. I get our medical staff has been giving passes a lot lately to tweaks and minor injuries in our playoff runs. This isn't the case and they should of sat him down for to the night after tweaking it. Evaluate in the morning.... These games are meaningless and the risk was unnecessary.
    Wow. A lot to unpack here, but let me start by saying "tweak" is not a medical term. So when you say that "the protocol should always be to shut the player down when they tweak a lower leg injury", you're saying nothing. You are not a doctor. You can't even use the right terminology. People on message boards (myself included) should not opine on athletic training best practices.

I'm angry too. I think they should have kept him out too. But I'm not going to accuse the training staff of malpractice. Because none of us know what the tests are or how EJ responded to those tests. How many times have you seen a guy suffer a brutal injury, only to see him return to the game and play well. Happens all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Upper Decker View Post
    Wow. A lot to unpack here, but let me start by saying "tweak" is not a medical term. So when you say that "the protocol should always be to shut the player down when they tweak a lower leg injury", you're saying nothing. You are not a doctor. You can't even use the right terminology. People on message boards (myself included) should not opine on athletic training best practices.

I'm angry too. I think they should have kept him out too. But I'm not going to accuse the training staff of malpractice. Because none of us know what the tests are or how EJ responded to those tests. How many times have you seen a guy suffer a brutal injury, only to see him return to the game and play well. Happens all the time.
    Lol, I work in the medical field and currently in Ortho, fam. If you choose to be ignorant and be like "tweak" isn't a real world that we don't use. You are delusional and don't know anything.

If going pretend that tweak doesn't equate to a grade 1 sprain. I don't know what to tell you. I just try to make it as simple as possible for you to understand.

But okay... You care more about being right than being honest. Whatever dude. Some of us are sports fans too. Act like you know what you're talking about in my field.

The thing about you don't understand about navigating sports medicine is that it's hard to tell an athlete "No." And athletes will lie good about their condition to get the pass or in critical situation will play through injury.

There is no malpractice when a grown man do what they feel is best for them. EJ wanted to play. He's fighting for a roster spot. CJ, BI, and etc played hurt because it was so or die playoff games to them.

They did a stabilization check and he passed or he avoided the test completely and said he was fine and good to go back in the game. Which is fine. I'm conservative and wouldn't let him back, but there is not only medical and ethical responsibility, but you have to navigate psychological minefields to protect these players. They're aren't robots and they aren't your average human beings. It's extremely difficult.

I'm extremely conservative on the matter, because I work in a profession that helps protect people. So, I'm biased to a fault. I rather be conservative and wrong than be lenient and liable. If you can understand from my point of view, it's not that complicated. A lot of these things go out the window when we talking about sports medicine and soft tissue.

RGIII is an example of such complicated relationship between medical and player patient.

At the the end of day, I'm 100% right to make a casual assessment that he shouldn't be allowed to go back in for a damn Summer League from my own experience. It's a tough call to make when you got a guy really fighting for his career.

I'm not even sure who on the medical side is there for SL, either.

So, unpack this .
    Last edited by Taker597; 07-12-2022 at 02:45 PM.

Season Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Lol, I work in the medical field and currently in Ortho, fam. If you choose to be ignorant and be like "tweak" isn't a real world that we don't use. You are delusional and don't know anything.

If going pretend that tweak doesn't equate to a grade 1 sprain. I don't know what to tell you. I just try to make it as simple as possible for you to understand.

But okay... You care more about being right than being honest. Whatever dude. Some of us are sports fans too. Act like you know what you're talking about in my field.

The thing about you don't understand about navigating sports medicine is that it's hard to tell an athlete "No." And athletes will lie good about their condition to get the pass or in critical situation will play through injury.

There is no malpractice when a grown man do what they feel is best for them. EJ wanted to play. He's fighting for a roster spot. CJ, BI, and etc played hurt because it was so or die playoff games to them.

They did a stabilization check and he passed or he avoided the test completely and said he was fine and good to go back in the game. Which is fine. I'm conservative and wouldn't let him back, but there is not only medical and ethical responsibility, but you have to navigate psychological minefields to protect these players. They're aren't robots and they aren't your average human beings. It's extremely difficult.

I'm extremely conservative on the matter, because I work in a profession that helps protect people. So, I'm biased to a fault. I rather be conservative and wrong than be lenient and liable. If you can understand from my point of view, it's not that complicated. A lot of these things go out the window when we talking about sports medicine and soft tissue.

RGIII is an example of such complicated relationship between medical and player patient.

At the the end of day, I'm 100% right to make a casual assessment that he shouldn't be allowed to go back in for a damn Summer League from my own experience. It's a tough call to make when you got a guy really fighting for his career.

I'm not even sure who on the medical side is there for SL, either.

So, unpack this .
    Touche! You work in the medical field and I stand corrected.

Thread Information