Pelicans Report

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans Summer League Thread & Schedule

That was really UGLY game to watch but it’s only Summer League , right ?

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Naji and Trey are only going to play a game or 2 anyway so prepare yourself for some ugly games especially with Dyson possibly out the rest of SL.
    With Naji not playing they may win a game. That guy was terrible.

We all know that Naji is terrible

But not encouraging about Murphy

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    How did Daniels look before injury?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post

His offense was putrid. But I don?t care about that. We won?t ask him to create much for himself. And he was just missing open looks he usually nails. But he was making plays defensively and being disruptive there. They much I liked.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyHornetsWhy View Post
    I honestly don?t know why I expected Dyson to come out looking like CP3 mixed with Steph Curry?
    Probably because you've been on this board for too long. The Dyson love got to be a little much. He's got a good defensive upside with his length and lateral movement. His offense is very, very much a work in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post

He looked tall, I'll give him that. I could be wrong but I don't think he made a shot, but he got to the foul line once or twice. Made some ok passes. Completely airballed a three pointer and got blocked on a drive. Then he got hurt. A pretty small sample size overall. Defensively he looked ok I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    He looked tall, I'll give him that. I could be wrong but I don't think he made a shot, but he got to the foul line once or twice. Made some ok passes. Completely airballed a three pointer and got blocked on a drive. Then he got hurt. A pretty small sample size overall. Defensively he looked ok I guess.
    haha that sounds horrible

Murphy looked fine for the most part. He was super inefficient but literally nobody should care about that - FG% and 3PT% are not things you can take from Summer League, and never have been.

What does tend to carry over from SL includes: 3PAr, rebounds, and off ball defense including screen navigation, and he looked good-to-great in all three of those categories. Blocks also tend to carry over but he didn't get any of those.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post

Handled the ball well, especially in transition. Made a few very very good passes though unfortunately nothing came of them. Rebounded pretty tenaciously. Wasn't efficient but again, SL efficiency does not matter whatsoever. Defensively looked good, navigated screens very well though a lot of the screens looked a bit loose anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Murphy looked fine for the most part. He was super inefficient but literally nobody should care about that - FG% and 3PT% are not things you can take from Summer League, and never have been.

What does tend to carry over from SL includes: 3PAr, rebounds, and off ball defense including screen navigation, and he looked good-to-great in all three of those categories. Blocks also tend to carry over but he didn't get any of those.
    I'm not worried about shooting percentages really, but did he show growth in areas like ball handling and driving?

I'm not worried about shooting percentages really, but did he show growth in areas like ball handling and driving?
    A little, but I don't really care about that. Trey is never going to be an on-ball creation/set-up guy in the NBA, at least not on this team. We have 4 - potentially 5, with Daniels - guys on this team who are on-ball creators, we don't need to demand more from anyone else. So it's one of those things where even if he sucks at it, it's not going to make any difference in an NBA game context.

It's worth noting after Daniels went down our team looked significantly worse on both ends.

I can already tell that Daniels will probably be my favorite player since CP3. And because of that, I kinda hope he doesnt play any more in SL (and team is leaning that way FWIW)

Daniels made a small comment after he was drafted about being excited about being able to play 'real' basketball now. Basically, organized, smart basketball with high level, smart players. That isnt gonna happen in SL. And I dont want him to force the action and be the player he is not, just because the games dont really matter. Let his first tastes of the NBA be in real games, with real consequences, with real players (not Naji trying to play like T-Mac)

Prior to the draft, I really didnt think the 8th pick would play much this year. Honestly, between some of the stuff the team has seen from him behind the scenes and just the overall way he carries himself, I will be shocked if he isnt playing by December/January and in the regular rotation after AS break
    @mcnamara247

Nice to hear those things about Daniels

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    I think Willie has proven if you can defend at a high level he isn’t afraid to throw you out there. Dyson will definitely see real time this season. May take him a second to hit the real rotation, but it’ll happen.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I can already tell that Daniels will probably be my favorite player since CP3. And because of that, I kinda hope he doesnt play any more in SL (and team is leaning that way FWIW)

Daniels made a small comment after he was drafted about being excited about being able to play 'real' basketball now. Basically, organized, smart basketball with high level, smart players. That isnt gonna happen in SL. And I dont want him to force the action and be the player he is not, just because the games dont really matter. Let his first tastes of the NBA be in real games, with real consequences, with real players (not Naji trying to play like T-Mac)

Prior to the draft, I really didnt think the 8th pick would play much this year. Honestly, between some of the stuff the team has seen from him behind the scenes and just the overall way he carries himself, I will be shocked if he isnt playing by December/January and in the regular rotation after AS break
    Some guys just aren't "wired" to develope or even show what they can do...in a GL or even a SL environment. I was skeered to death Herb would get "lost" if he spent much time at all in the G League. I kinda got the same feelin' with Daniels and the SL...just not conducive to showing the guy's talents. "On the job" training IN THE NBA is not always the best way to learn...but, I KNEW it would be just fine for Herb...and I THINK it will be that way for Daniels also. Can't wait for the regular season to get here...& see the development of Daniels AND the continued growth, of Herb.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

I think he said it best when referring to himself as a "winning player".

Even though he went 0-5 he still made his impact on the game and looked like the best player last night. (including trey)

Quote Originally Posted by PleaseWinPels View Post
    I think he said it best when referring to himself as a "winning player".

Even though he went 0-5 he still made his impact on the game and looked like the best player last night. (including trey)
    I'm not sure where the winning was exactly. I guess back in Australia. That Ignite team never won many games.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    I'm not sure where the winning was exactly. I guess back in Australia. That Ignite team never won many games.
    Being a winning player isn't always because you're been on winning teams: basketball is a team sport. If you're a winning player, you make smart plays that contribute towards winning your minutes. What other guys do when you're off the court, or what they do when the ball is in their hands, is outside of your control.

I'd describe someone like Steph Curry as a winning player. But in the two seasons leading into this one, the Warriors won 15 and 39 games. Did he stop being a winning player during those years and just remember how to do it again in 2021-22? Nah, the team overall just lost. He didn't stop being a winning player, he just stopped being a winning player on a winning team.

Daniels is day to day but like MM said earlier don’t be surprised if the team opts to sit him for the rest of SL.

Being a winning player isn't always because you're been on winning teams: basketball is a team sport. If you're a winning player, you make smart plays that contribute towards winning your minutes. What other guys do when you're off the court, or what they do when the ball is in their hands, is outside of your control.

I'd describe someone like Steph Curry as a winning player. But in the two seasons leading into this one, the Warriors won 15 and 39 games. Did he stop being a winning player during those years and just remember how to do it again in 2021-22? Nah, the team overall just lost. He didn't stop being a winning player, he just stopped being a winning player on a winning team.
    Steph Curry is a HOF 4 time champion, yup a winning player. NOT the level Daniels is talking about, focus more on a PJ Brown type player.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    Steph Curry is a HOF 4 time champion, yup a winning player. NOT the level Daniels is talking about, focus more on a PJ Brown type player.
    ...Yes, I know. I wasn't comparing Daniels to Curry, I was giving an example of a situation where a player that everyone would agree is a winning player was in a situation that was not a winning team. By doing that, the difference between a ''winning player'' and a ''player on a winning team'' becomes explicitly clear. That justifies someone identifying as a winning player even if they haven't had that much success on teams in the past.

It was an example, not a comparison.

...Yes, I know. I wasn't comparing Daniels to Curry, I was giving an example of a situation where a player that everyone would agree is a winning player was in a situation that was not a winning team. By doing that, the difference between a ''winning player'' and a ''player on a winning team'' becomes explicitly clear. That justifies someone identifying as a winning player even if they haven't had that much success on teams in the past.

It was an example, not a comparison.
    1st off, Pel I respect your opinion!
    2. Defining someone as a winning player is complicated, calling yourself one before winning is .... bold?
    3. I get what Daniels wants to be....
    Bobby Jones - Phi
    Jamall Wilkes - LaL
    Robert Horry - A bunch of teams
    Dennis Rodman - DetChi
    John Salley - Det
    PJ Tucker - varied
    John Paxson
    Jason Terry
    Bobby Portis
    Al Horford

These are players that contributed to winning, I hope Daniels can find a way on this list!

I am hesitant to cap Daniels ceiling at excellent, winning role player. I think that is vastly underrating his offensive ceiling - which I think could be at a level of taller Tony Parker

Not his median outcome but can I see a universe where he is a top tier paint scorer who can score 30 on nights where his jumper is falling? I can. And he won’t be a 10 assist, ball dominate playmaker but he can get guys in the right position and orchestrate the offense. Heck, he did that the first few possessions last night. Was telling people where to go, which side to set screens on, etc

I think Parker on offense and Ben Simmons on D is the ceiling. I think the kid has ‘it’ in so many ways

Thread Information