Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: If Pels Trade Down to 12 and it Plays Out Like This

Why would we trade for KCP, but not Dort? Both are in the last year of their deals, so we'd have to re-sign both after one year.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Why would we trade for KCP, but not Dort? Both are in the last year of their deals, so we'd have to re-sign both after one year.
    I would flip KCP... but would keep Dort, who we probably can't pay due to our pending cap situation (CJ, Zion and Nance all coming up). And that's probably why we can't keep Dort.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    KCP is non garanteed or only a portion of his contact is garanteed next year.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    KCP is non garanteed or only a portion of his contact is garanteed next year.
    I saw this from fanspo.com:

2022 - $4,888,118 guaranteed, fully guaranteed $14 mil. if not waived on or before 6/28/2022.

I had thought it was fully guaranteed this year. So I would assume Pels would waive him to only pay the 4.8 mil. guarantee, clear a roster spot and not take on a Klutch client -- or would they guarantee the $14 mil this year to use as an expiring trade chip at the deadline? + he's a 3+D vet if he buys in to the team.

Would be fun to get Kispert in a 8 - 10 trade down.
    Last edited by Rheem654; 06-20-2022 at 04:32 PM.

So would the Wizards at 10 be heavily motivated to move up to 8 ? I've heard they want Dyson, but seems Pels would just take him at 8 if he's there. Are the Wiz one of the teams enamored with Sharpe? He could thrive being mentored by Beal, or Sharpe could replace him if Beal leaves.

Who says no/yes?
    https://fanspo.com/nba/s/pelicans/tr...-trade-up-to-8

8 + Graham + Temple (or Hayes?)
    <---->
    10 + KCP (waive at 4.8) + Kispert

Wiz move up for their guy Sharpe, take a swing on Graham having a bounce-back year.
    Pels move back a few slots for one of their guys Dieng or Sochan, save on future salary.

Would WAS give up Kispert? Would they require Hayes over Temple?
    Would Pels even want / have minutes for Kispert?

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    So would the Wizards at 10 be heavily motivated to move up to 8 ? I've heard they want Dyson, but seems Pels would just take him at 8 if he's there. Are the Wiz one of the teams enamored with Sharpe? He could thrive being mentored by Beal, or Sharpe could replace him if Beal leaves.

Who says no/yes?

8 + Graham + Temple (or Hayes?)
    <---->
    10 + KCP (waive at 4.8) + Kispert

Wiz move up for their guy Sharpe, take a swing on Graham having a bounce-back year.
    Pels move back a few slots for one of their guys Dieng or Sochan, save on future salary.

Would WAS give up Kispert? Would they require Hayes over Temple?
    Would Pels even want / have minutes for Kispert?

If the Wizards want Sharpe, not sure the Spurs are a concern to take him. I guess they could worry that someone could trade into 9, but the Spurs have a ton of picks already, so not sure they would look to trade down.

Why I said a few days ago, I would be leveraging the teams who want a big more than the ones who want Sharpe. 9, 10, 11, and 13 all have big man needs. Work them against each other to get the best deal. Dont think as many are interested in Sharpe.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Let's say the top 7 goes as most expect and the Big 3 plus Murray, Ivey, Mathurin, and Daniels are off the board. Now, OKC calls and gives 12 plus a good future 1st for 8 and takes Sharpe.

9-11 goes Sochan, Dieng, and Griffin, in some order. What do you do?

A) Draft Duren
    B) Draft J Davis
    C) Draft Branham
    D) Draft M. Williams
    E) Draft Other (name)
    F) Trade 12 for 17 and 26 (Hou)
    G) Trade 12 and Temple for 20 and 25 (SA)
    H) Trade 12 and Graham for 22 and 29 (Mem)
    Are you asking what I would do or what I think the Pels would do? I've heard they have an interest in Branham. So maybe they draft him? I haven't heard anything about their interest in Duren, Williams, or Davis.

Good question. I should have put in there 'What do YOU do?"

Oh wait......

Why I said a few days ago, I would be leveraging the teams who want a big more than the ones who want Sharpe. 9, 10, 11, and 13 all have big man needs. Work them against each other to get the best deal. Dont think as many are interested in Sharpe.
    Okay, interesting. So I assume Duren or Sochan are the main 2 bigs teams would trade up to #8 for?

So these teams would have to prioritize drafting Duren or Sochan at 8 - as being worth the assets of trading up for them. Rather than staying put and taking a Mark Williams still there at their pick. I can definitely see some team keying in on Duren and being wowed by the age and potential.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    I would probably either just take Davis or move down and get off Graham/Temple. But I don’t know how great I would feel about either. That future first would have to be real good.

Okay, interesting. So I assume Duren or Sochan are the main 2 bigs teams would trade up to #8 for?

So these teams would have to prioritize drafting Duren or Sochan at 8 - as being worth the assets of trading up for them. Rather than staying put and taking a Mark Williams still there at their pick. I can definitely see some team keying in on Duren and being wowed by the age and potential.
    Yeah, and at the end of the day, you have to prioritize what you can control. No way to know what others will do. Pels love 6 guys, really like another, and then its a bit of a dropoff for them. If the 7 you want all happen to be gone, what are you doing at 8 assuming you dont get the exact deal you want? Who would you take in that situation if you have to stay there? Sounds more and more like the answer to that question is Dieng, with Sochen in the running.

Yeah, and at the end of the day, you have to prioritize what you can control. No way to know what others will do. Pels love 6 guys, really like another, and then its a bit of a dropoff for them. If the 7 you want all happen to be gone, what are you doing at 8 assuming you dont get the exact deal you want? Who would you take in that situation if you have to stay there? Sounds more and more like the answer to that question is Dieng, with Sochen in the running.
    Dieng is the one top-10 prospect who's expectation level could handle being redshirted / G-Leagued for a full season of development. In theory, not having to carve out a spot in the rotation for another rookie is a plus for this roster, since the minutes are pretty full as is. While still getting Dieng's huge future upside. The Dieng / Dang! puns will be aplenty.

I saw this from fanspo.com:

2022 - $4,888,118 guaranteed, fully guaranteed $14 mil. if not waived on or before 6/28/2022.

I had thought it was fully guaranteed this year. So I would assume Pels would waive him to only pay the 4.8 mil. guarantee, clear a roster spot and not take on a Klutch client -- or would they guarantee the $14 mil this year to use as an expiring trade chip at the deadline? + he's a 3+D vet if he buys in to the team.

Would be fun to get Kispert in a 8 - 10 trade down.
    Side note, I don?t think it?s that serious with Klutch but also KCP aint going anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Side note, I don?t think it?s that serious with Klutch but also KCP aint going anywhere
    Interesting topic. How many teams didn't have any Klutch players on their roster last season? (Or any of the last few seasons). It is interesting timing that the one season Griff clears out the remaining Klutch clients, the locker-room flourishes and unites. Sure, Coach Green, Herb, Jose, CJ all were main reasons in the rise of # Pel Culture. But I think that was allowed to flourish by the overemphasis on character/human/team -- the exact opposite of what the Klutch agency represents in the eyes of many fans and front offices around the league.

That being said, maybe KCP could be the vet addition to help rebuild that relationship to Klutch on a low-risk role player. As a bonus, he could be the first 3-letter initial player on the team since NAW.

John Collins?

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    John Collins?

Where would you fit him and his salary?

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Where would you fit him and his salary?
    These low effort posts like 'adding John Collins?' really need to be auto deleted
    Last edited by AusPel; 06-21-2022 at 01:58 PM.

The Franchise
    I'd love Collins, but probably have include a 3rd team since they will probably not want Hayes, Graham, and Temple. I'd do it if it could be for a conditional 1st next year AND Collins is ok with coming off the bench. That's a lot to ask of Collins unless we plan on moving on from JV.

Good question. I should have put in there 'What do YOU do?"

Oh wait......
    No need to be snarky. What I meant was are you asking me to put myself in Griffin's shoes, knowing who he appears to have interest in? If so, then I'd take Branham. If I'm coming into this with fresh eyes, I'd be tempted to trade down to 12th and take either Branham or Johnny Davis, I haven't really given much thought as to who I'd like between them. I'm not really interested in a center, unless I can pull off a seperate trade and jettison Jaxson.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    No need to be snarky. What I meant was are you asking me to put myself in Griffin's shoes, knowing who he appears to have interest in? If so, then I'd take Branham. If I'm coming into this with fresh eyes, I'd be tempted to trade down to 12th and take either Branham or Johnny Davis, I haven't really given much thought as to who I'd like between them. I'm not really interested in a center, unless I can pull off a seperate trade and jettison Jaxson.
    Speaking of the T Wolves

If Williamson is here long-term, is, indeed, the real deal, and stays out of the infirmary. Collins would never be able to maximize his value here.

Next.................

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    These low effort posts like 'adding John Collins?' really need to be auto deleted

Petty. But I like it.

It's still low effort in that you've made no attempt into explaining how he would fit - neither monetarily or roster wise - other than posting a God damned tweet about him being available. And no, this ancillary post from Shamit that adds nothing of value doesn't qualify

FOH
    Last edited by AusPel; 06-21-2022 at 03:24 PM.

Thread Information