Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: If Pels Trade Down to 12 and it Plays Out Like This

If Pels Trade Down to 12 and it Plays Out Like This

Let's say the top 7 goes as most expect and the Big 3 plus Murray, Ivey, Mathurin, and Daniels are off the board. Now, OKC calls and gives 12 plus a good future 1st for 8 and takes Sharpe.

9-11 goes Sochan, Dieng, and Griffin, in some order. What do you do?

A) Draft Duren
    B) Draft J Davis
    C) Draft Branham
    D) Draft M. Williams
    E) Draft Other (name)
    F) Trade 12 for 17 and 26 (Hou)
    G) Trade 12 and Temple for 20 and 25 (SA)
    H) Trade 12 and Graham for 22 and 29 (Mem)
    @mcnamara247

A good future first, as in one of the Houston picks?
    Last edited by AusPel; 06-20-2022 at 09:39 AM.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see them move down further and draft Dalen Terry, Blake Wesley, or TyTy Washington if that’s how it played out. Pick up some future assets and grab a guard to play in Birmingham for the year

So my answer would be F. Then let’s draft TyTy and Dalen Terry, screw it

Then 16 rostered guys. Uh oh

I think I would just take Johnny Davis at that point. Have him come in and hound guys on D for 12 mins a game to start off while he is taking 500 spot up 3's every day for the year. I tell him that he is either taking a spot up 3 or attacking closeouts and getting to the rim/line. None of the mid range stuff, or post ups, or isos. Not this year. He is a bigger Jose Alvarado on D and does only that on offense. He does that, and I tell him I will give him a little more responsibility next year. He crushes that, a little more the year after. By end of his rookie deal, maybe he is 150% Josh Hart. I will take that.

I draft Duren, with some consideration for M. Williams. Going against the grain about taking a big man this early, but feels like better value at 12 with the top wing/guards all gone at this point. Many will choose Davis here, but I'd rather go higher potential and get a shot-blocking defensive anchor for the next 4-10 years. The entertainment value of having an huge athletic Center to dunk and block relentlessly - that would be really fun. And sure, it has some on court value, too.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I think I would just take Johnny Davis at that point. Have him come in and hound guys on D for 12 mins a game to start off while he is taking 500 spot up 3's every day for the year. I tell him that he is either taking a spot up 3 or attacking closeouts and getting to the rim/line. None of the mid range stuff, or post ups, or isos. Not this year. He is a bigger Jose Alvarado on D and does only that on offense. He does that, and I tell him I will give him a little more responsibility next year. He crushes that, a little more the year after. By end of his rookie deal, maybe he is 150% Josh Hart. I will take that.
    Wouldn't be the most exciting draft outcome, but that vision of his fit is solid. Although I wonder, Johnny already has a Taco Bell commercial and that name is pretty marketable. Is he and his camp going to be content being a minor bench piece?

That is tough one and guess it depends on which future first they are offering. I know Johnny Davis has his flaws but I think culturally (team wise) he would be a good pick. I would probably pull the trigger on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    I draft Duren, with some consideration for M. Williams. Going against the grain about taking a big man this early, but feels like better value at 12 with the top wing/guards all gone at this point. Many will choose Davis here, but I'd rather go higher potential and get a shot-blocking defensive anchor for the next 4-10 years. The entertainment value of having an huge athletic Center to dunk and block relentlessly - that would be really fun. And sure, it has some on court value, too.
    Its the learning curve with bigs that would make me pass. A lot of people cite guys like Robert Williams, but the Celtics got little to nothing out of him for years and then had to insanely simplify the defense for him to have value. They basically made him an off ball help defender, and only could do that because they had one of the smartest big man defenders, the DPOY, and two great defensive wings. I mean, yeah, Williams succeeded finally in the perfect situation. Otherwise, most of the raw bigs are like Jaxson where they look lost for years, showing occassional glimpses, and then figure it out years and years later.

I want Duren. I just want him in 2027 or 2028

Ugh I really dont like drafting 5s in the lotto. I'd go Branham then Davis at 12. In any of those trade down scenarios, I try to offload the later pick for a protected future first ala OKC-Denver for #30 trade a few days ago. I dont know much about the later 1st round guys (frankly I dont know much about the lotto guys) but I like Jovic, Jalen Williams, Wesley, Beauchamp, and some others.

Wouldnt be ecstatic but would feel pretty good about those options. Take a homerun swing a year to 2 from now with the new and existing picks
    Welcome to be here

I'd take Davis. Love his defense and his mid-range game is nasty. He'd fit right in with BI and CJ... not every shot has to be a 3.

I like that strategy. If you walk out of this draft with say Braun at 20, get off Temple to open up the MLE, and two good future 1sts to use in a future trade, that ain’t bad. That said, you do that and Sharpe or Griffin becomes a stud, and it looks awful in retrospect.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    I'd take Davis. Love his defense and his mid-range game is nasty. He'd fit right in with BI and CJ... not every shot has to be a 3.
    He isn’t going to have the ball in his hands to create the mid range though. Find a guy who is the 5th or 6th option on his team that is getting clear out isos to set up mid range. At least one, usually two, of CJ, Zion, and Ingram on the court

He isn’t going to have the ball in his hands to create the mid range though. Find a guy who is the 5th or 6th option on his team that is getting clear out isos to set up mid range. At least one, usually two, of CJ, Zion, and Ingram on the court
    On a 2nd unit I can see him creating some shots. If Naji Marshall was able to play-make every now and then... so can Davis. Granted it took some injuries to see that play out, but its good to know we'd have a guy that can get buckets.

I really like his on-ball defense too.

Got to take that

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I'd trade back again at 12, but I still don't want multiple draft picks in 2022, so at that point I'm seeing what I can flip further into another 2023-25 pick. That's how I decide which trade back deal to take, but either way I try to get off Temple.

Coming out of this draft with a pure project at the end of the 1st round or even just 2nd round picks that we can happily stash in G League, isn't a bad option at all. Use the full MLE to add a real vet that can contribute, and only task the coaching staff with integrating Zion and Kira into the mix both on and off the court. See what you have with Jaxson and Graham in the first half of the season, and make decisions on them at the deadline if you want/need to.

You'd be integrating 3 new players into a team that looked ready to take a next step to close out last season. One of those players being someone with All NBA potential.

Man unless you can get a good future asset in a trade-back... stay at 8 and take Mathurin, Daniels or Sharpe.

Unless something DRAMATICALLY changes in the next few days, they aren’t taking and keeping Sharpe

C. Draft Branham.
    E. Draft Agbaji.
    H. 12 and Graham for 22 and 29.
    G. 12 and Temple for 20 and 25.
    F. 12 for 17 and 26.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Man unless you can get a good future asset in a trade-back... stay at 8 and take Mathurin, Daniels or Sharpe.
    But if you know they will be there at 10 - 12 why not?

If I stay at 12, I'd take Johnny Davis, no question.

If we traded down again, I'd target Jovic and Jalen Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post

Got to take that
    What is the context? It takes 2. Any indication of Washington wanting to come up 2 spots for any reason?

Unless something DRAMATICALLY changes in the next few days, they aren’t taking and keeping Sharpe
    Oh wow... do tell. Any new news?

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    But if you know they will be there at 10 - 12 why not?
    I'm cool with the trade-back if we can get a good future asset. If we get a player back in a trade then we'll need to make other move(s) because we don't have many roster spots. But yeah trade back if you can make a come-up.

I like that strategy. If you walk out of this draft with say Braun at 20, get off Temple to open up the MLE, and two good future 1sts to use in a future trade, that ain’t bad. That said, you do that and Sharpe or Griffin becomes a stud, and it looks awful in retrospect.
    My one hot-ish take in this draft is Braun is better than Agbaji. Every Kansas game that I watched, his activity just totally popped off the screen. You wanna talk about a guy who will fill up the stat sheet even when his shot isn't falling, Braun is that dude. Agbaji basically had one really good shooting month. If you love Josh Hart, you'll love Christian Braun

Thread Information