Pelicans Report

Thread: Trade Herb or Trey

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!

Trade Herb or Trey

Let's say Pels can trade for whoever you think would be the best realistic fit in the league to add to our roster and contend for a championship. Or trade all the way up in the draft to get whoever you think is the best prospect in this years draft. In order to get that guy, you've got to include either Herb or Trey in the deal. Which one you trading and why?

I really believe Trey's going to turn into a really good player, but I still think he'd me my preference to include. Herb has just proven too much for me to be comfortable including him.

If I had to choose, Trey. Obviously Herb's all defense is way too valuable. I think he can easily be a 36% catch and shoot guy too. His handle is actually fairly solid and is adept at finishing through contact. He wants it so bad too. Intangibles off the charts

Trey has no handle right now and questionable D. I'd trade him to get to Ivey. Not even a hard choice.

Unequivocally, Trey goes
    Last edited by AusPel; 06-17-2022 at 01:22 PM.

The question for me is which is more likely...
    Trey becoming 75% or better the defender that Herb is, or Herb becoming 75% or better the shooter that Trey is?

Also, Herb is going to hit free agency sooner than Trey. I think I lean toward being more willing to trade Herb, but it's close.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    The question for me is which is more likely...
    Trey becoming 75% or better the defender that Herb is, or Herb becoming 75% or better the shooter that Trey is?

Also, Herb is going to hit free agency sooner than Trey. I think I lean toward being more willing to trade Herb, but it's close.
    If you can show any glimpses of Trey doing anything special on defense, please post them

All I can recall is him getting some really nice offensive boards. Nothing lockdown defenderish and frequently gets lost on rotations

Obviously, the physical tools are there

You can manufacture shooting through trades and FA. You can hardly ever develop or trade for very special wing defenders.

I reckon even Thybulle would have a decent asking price in a trade and he's a complete liability offensively, which Herb certainly isn't
    Last edited by AusPel; 06-17-2022 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    If you can show any glimpses of Trey doing anything special on defense, please post them

All I can recall is him getting some really nice offensive boards. Nothing lockdown defenderish and frequently gets lost on rotations

Obviously, the physical tools are there

You can manufacture shooting through trades and FA. You can hardly ever develop or trade for very special wing defenders.

I reckon even Thybulle would have a decent asking price in a trade and he's a complete liability offensively, which Herb certainly isn't
    Hey, I said it's close!

Thybulle is an interesting comp for Herb, even if I agree that Herb is better. Would anyone on this board trade Trey for Thybulle? I might be surprised, but I think most wouldn't. What about Trey for Lou Dort?

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Hey, I said it's close!

Thybulle is an interesting comp for Herb, even if I agree that Herb is better. Would anyone on this board trade Trey for Thybulle? I might be surprised, but I think most wouldn't. What about Trey for Lou Dort?
    Dort is due a pay day that we can't afford so nope. I would definitely keep Trey. Though I might keeping pondering on that one.

Definitely wouldn't do Trey for Thybulle
    Last edited by AusPel; 06-17-2022 at 03:28 PM.

If I had to choose, Trey. Obviously Herb's all defense is way too valuable. I think he can easily be a 36% catch and shoot guy too. His handle is actually fairly solid and is adept at finishing through contact. He wants it so bad too. Intangibles off the charts

Trey has no handle right now and questionable D. I'd trade him to get to Ivey. Not even a hard choice.

Unequivocally, Trey goes

Yep...not close. Gotta keep Herb. And by the way, Herb actually shot quite a bit better from 3-pt distance last year, than the 33.7% it shows. More like a tad over 35%. He'll go over 37% next year, and who knows what, after that. Plus, his offensive game will get much better with improved handle & floater, by next season. Defense will only get better next year also, with added knowledge on his part and added respect, from the officials.

Neither, Herb is just too good, and Trey is a perfect small ball PF compliment to stretch the floor for Zion. People think Trey is our future SF but I think he’s our future PF like a Rashard Lewis.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Neither, Herb is just too good, and Trey is a perfect small ball PF compliment to stretch the floor for Zion. People think Trey is our future SF but I think he’s our future PF like a Rashard Lewis.
    I think Trey is the perfect young candidate to be involved in a trade for a stud

Which would push us well into the lux tax but let's do it!

Title or bust!!

I think Trey is the perfect young candidate to be involved in a trade for a stud

Which would push us well into the lux tax but let's do it!

Title or bust!!
    Well he was speaking of moving up in the draft but of course if we could trade him in a package to get an already established player then I’m all for it. Like Pick 8 and Trey for D’aaron Fox I’m all for it, but it isn’t happening

Well he was speaking of moving up in the draft but of course if we could trade him in a package to get an already established player then I’m all for it. Like Pick 8 and Trey for D’aaron Fox I’m all for it, but it isn’t happening
    Dude no

Do not want Fox

I would do that for Haliburton

Of all the star players you could trade for, you would choose Fox? Lol what?

I'd trade #8 and Trey for Jabari Smith. But it would have to be an elite prospect like that, to get me to move either. Both are really important for this team going forward. Need Herb's defense and need Trey's shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dud View Post
    Yep...not close. Gotta keep Herb. And by the way, Herb actually shot quite a bit better from 3-pt distance last year, than the 33.7% it shows. More like a tad over 35%. He'll go over 37% next year, and who knows what, after that. Plus, his offensive game will get much better with improved handle & floater, by next season. Defense will only get better next year also, with added knowledge on his part and added respect, from the officials.
    The most confusing thing I have ever read on this board. Re-read it 5+ times and brain is about to explode so I am leaving this thread now
    @mcnamara247

Thread Information