Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: If you could get one thing from Zion negotiation....

Season Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    It’s as simple as this…look at the tools and means we have had to wipe each other out on a mass level over say the first million years of existence. Now, look at advancements in like the last 20. Imagine the rate of the next 20 years has that same rate of advancement and multiply that by the amount of fear generated by stupidly giving everyone a voice and I can’t see any reality in which we don’t wipe ourselves out within the next 100 years. Next 50 years? More likely we are gone than not for sure. Next 25 years? A good chance we have done it IMO

I play the game Civilization a lot. My belief is we are in the endgame now when you look at history of this planet as a whole. We certainly aren’t in the beginning or the middle. Hug your loved ones. It’s gonna be over sooner than you think
    To paraphrase George Carlin, the planet will be fine. The people, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Upper Decker View Post
    To paraphrase George Carlin, the planet will be fine. The people, not so much.
    "Earth... will be like a dog...shakin' off fleas" (GC had his moments)
    Last edited by The Dud; 06-10-2022 at 11:31 AM.

I think the only choice truly valuable to the team here is the full 5 yr contract with no option. A trade kicker can be waived, if he's so desperate to be traded (though I suppose it helps us if we're the ones initiating the trade) and the injury protection is useless for the reasons you've mentioned. The Rose rule tweaks are cute but, while it's possible every dollar counts if we're pushing against the luxury tax, I find it hard to get too excited about saving a % or 2 here or there...I'd rather create the goodwill by giving him the full amount. For a marginal max guy (Siakam example), it would make more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    I think the only choice truly valuable to the team here is the full 5 yr contract with no option. A trade kicker can be waived, if he's so desperate to be traded (though I suppose it helps us if we're the ones initiating the trade) and the injury protection is useless for the reasons you've mentioned. The Rose rule tweaks are cute but, while it's possible every dollar counts if we're pushing against the luxury tax, I find it hard to get too excited about saving a % or 2 here or there...I'd rather create the goodwill by giving him the full amount. For a marginal max guy (Siakam example), it would make more sense.
    85 Games played in three seasons, with the undeniable reality that he's been hurt in each of the last five years (coupled with significant missed time) dating back to high school and you say:

"LET HIM HAVE IT...WITH NO PROBLEM"!!!

I wonder if you would feel the same way if we were to play a season or two over the next five years with only 70% of our salary cap on the floor competing. It would be like the 2021-22 Lakers on steroids.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    85 Games played in three seasons, with the undeniable reality that he's been hurt in each of the last five years (coupled with significant missed time) dating back to high school and you say:

I wonder if you would feel the same way if we were to play a season or two over the next five years with only 70% of our salary cap on the floor competing. It would be like the 2021-22 Lakers on steroids.
    Let him have it

The way I see it, our only path to being a true contender (not just a playoff team, but a real contender) is a healthy Zion that is reaching his superstar potential. If we are not getting that, the next five years are going to be stunted anyway. Yes. Give it to him.

"The 2021-2022 Lakers on steroids." You mean basically the Pelicans for the last 10 years, with one or two outliers?
    Last edited by DarkHornet; 06-14-2022 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post

"The 2021-2022 Lakers on steroids." You mean basically the Pelicans for the last 10 years, with one or two outliers?
    No Ace; I didn't mean that at all. I meant the Lakers just like I said. Tell me, Ace, in what year in the past 10 were the Pelicans considered championship conternders like the Lakers were this past year? If your comparison is the Dell Demp/Uncle Alvin years, it speaks to your knowledge' not mine.

No Ace; I didn't mean that at all. I meant the Lakers just like I said. Tell me, Ace, in what year in the past 10 were the Pelicans considered championship conternders like the Lakers were this past year? If your comparison is the Dell Demp/Uncle Alvin years, it speaks to your knowledge' not mine.
    We have to be championship contenders before we can be "disappointing championship contenders." You're getting way ahead of things.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    We have to be championship contenders before we can be "disappointing championship contenders." You're getting way ahead of things.
    Okay, I have you marked down in the 'Won't Compete' column and still on par with the Demps/Alvin fiasco. That's fair.

Okay, I have you marked down in the 'Won't Compete' column and still on par with the Demps/Alvin fiasco. That's fair.
    If you want to completely mischaracterize what I said, then sure. You don't seem to be particularly interested in honesty anyway. What I actually said: The version of this team that will be a championship contender is the one with a healthy Zion who is living up to his superstar status. We absolutely can be a contender, but that's not the baseline assumption right now. You, comparing us to last years Lakers who came into the season as championship favorites, is laughable. That's a level of respect we have not earned yet.

The point you seem to miss is that in order to be a "huge disappointment" there would have to be expectations to be disappointed from. We, as fans, believe we can compete. We have not gotten that level of belief from the public at large. And if Zion were to be hurt like in your scenario, this would not be seen as "the team that should have one a championship, but didn't." It would instead be seen as just an average to above average Pelicans team.

It's about your framing, not a belief that we won't compete.

For what it's worth, our team THIS PAST SEASON is basically this "2021-2022 Lakers on steroids" you talk about. We lost Zion for the whole season. Yet, we were playing 0.500 basketball after November, and we pushed the #1 seed in the west to 6 games. If that's the "Lakers on steroids", I feel pretty good about taking that risk.

Yes because the "Embiid contract" doesn't say if he's hurt he doesn't get paid, it says if he's hurt and then subsequently cut his money is not guaranteed. The likelihood of being in a position where outright cutting him is a better option than keeping him or trading him is so low that it's not worth negotiating for. Just suppose these last three years were the first three under a contract structured like that. He just missed an entire season and we can cut him now and get out from under the last two years of guaranteed money. Would you cut him? Nope, even if you didn't want him to come back and play for you his trade value is much greater than the benefit of not having his contract.

Why do you keep calling him Ace?

Want to bump this because I heard the small brains on TigerDroppings cant figure out the Rose Rule and how 2nd or 3rd team All NBA would not = 30%

If only they were on this board instead, they would have understood it MONTHS AGO
    @mcnamara247

Where does it say only 1st team gets you 30%

Pretty sure the rule states any all-NBA team
    Last edited by AusPel; 10-03-2022 at 08:15 AM. Reason: wrong

Literally read the first post on this thread. I laid it all out months ago

What I see is that it doesn't necessarily mean 30%, that it depends on how the contract is negotiated. Do we have details on Zion's rose rule qualifiers?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just saw the thread that prompted this bump. I see that it's specific to first team in Zion's contract.
    Last edited by DarkHornet; 10-03-2022 at 09:32 AM.

You're right. I'm a moron

It’s all good. I am always here as a resource as long as people ask respectfully

It’s clear the CBA stuff is really tough for many. It’s my bread and butter. Always happy to help

It’s all good. I am always here as a resource as long as people ask respectfully

It’s clear the CBA stuff is really tough for many. It’s my bread and butter. Always happy to help
    My problem was that I just skimmed the top and didn't read down far enough on Larry's faq

Completely my fault

Season Ticket Holder

I am willfully ignorant (and somewhat proud of my ignorance) with respect to the CBA. I follow the Pelicans because I like watching basketball. You know, dribbling, passing, rebounding, and shooting. That kind of stuff. Yes, it is fun to dream of upgrading the roster via trades, but that's not my focus. I don't like math.

That’s totally fine. All I have ever asked of people like you, who don’t like that stuff, is to not give misinformation about CBA related things. Which you never have, but many have. Because once that toothpaste is out, it is impossible to get back in. That’s what I actually think makes it seem so confusing - all the people who aren’t experts in it chiming in. Then, it seems overwhelming and hard to understand. Leave it to the experts and just say thank you for the info lol

Basketball Guru
    That’s totally fine. All I have ever asked of people like you, who don’t like that stuff, is to not give misinformation about CBA related things. Which you never have, but many have. Because once that toothpaste is out, it is impossible to get back in. That’s what I actually think makes it seem so confusing - all the people who aren’t experts in it chiming in. Then, it seems overwhelming and hard to understand. Leave it to the experts and just say thank you for the info lol
    i gotta say when it come to CBA related stuff, i do take your info as the gospel...

Thread Information