Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: If you could get one thing from Zion negotiation....

Season Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I don?t wonder at all. I actively enjoy it
    Touche!

What do we think that Zion's 100% outcome looks like defensively this season? Is it an elite weakside rim protector who struggles in space?

I think he can be close to the league lead in blocks and steals while being vulnerable on switches and isos. I would be super happy with that outcome if the defensive rebounding is good. It's easy to forget, but he definitely turned a corner in the final quarter or so of the season in 2021. I think live crowds and of course conditioning will help his defensive energy as well

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    That 5% isn't true because he says it. It isn't untrue because I say it. Just watch and enjoy what you choose to.

The rest will do what it will. None of this matters anyway. So why me worry?
    Correct. It?s just my opinion. Probably correct, but just an opinion nonetheless
    @mcnamara247

Correct. It?s just my opinion. Probably correct, but just an opinion nonetheless
    The issue with what you're saying, and I think you know this, is there's no way to form a logical argument against it. So I'll just let it be

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    The issue with what you're saying, and I think you know this, is there's no way to form a logical argument against it. So I'll just let it be
    True; but there sure is a way to form a logical argument for it. We have a replete history to draw upon.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    True; but there sure is a way to form a logical argument for it. We have a replete history to draw upon.
    If you're going off of history, 5% is illogical. It's more like .5%. Just a useless exercise

The use I find in it is I dont let winning a title be the barometer for what I think decision making should be. I said this prior to last year -- I would take a fun team with guys I like, who I am happy to root for over a title with mercenaries and guys I dont really like any day. Give me the Nuggets from 2017-2022 over the Lakers from 2017-2022 any day.

Of course you want both. Just saying I dont think the title will ever come, so go draft guys who are fun to root for. Trade idiots, punks, and selfish dudes - even if it is for lesser, more likeable players.

When you write off the title as a possibility or dont see that as the be all, end all, I think you could actually build a more enjoyable entertainment experience. And thats all it is - entertainment

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    What is the logical argument for using the performance of a team that had 100% different players, coaches, ownership, etc as a prediction for the performance of a current team? Can I use Jordans Bulls to predict the performance of the current Bulls squad?

We're in the sweet spot and need to embrace it instead of being terrified of what's around every corner. I believe that the Pelicans already have that likeable fun team in place and I also happen to think that, through internal growth, this team legitimately has what it takes to become a contender in the very near future. I actually think we can have our cake and eat it too if things break right for us. I get that your point, though, is that 95% of the time things don't break right for small market teams like ours who have superstars that may not be 100% committed to the city and the franchise.

The use I find in it is I dont let winning a title be the barometer for what I think decision making should be. I said this prior to last year -- I would take a fun team with guys I like, who I am happy to root for over a title with mercenaries and guys I dont really like any day. Give me the Nuggets from 2017-2022 over the Lakers from 2017-2022 any day.

Of course you want both. Just saying I dont think the title will ever come, so go draft guys who are fun to root for. Trade idiots, punks, and selfish dudes - even if it is for lesser, more likeable players.

When you write off the title as a possibility or dont see that as the be all, end all, I think you could actually build a more enjoyable entertainment experience. And thats all it is - entertainment
    I think this is where words matter. Yes we are "entertained" by watching sports, but is sports REALLY entertainment? To me, "ENTERTAINMENT" would be watching a movie, or a play, or a comedy show. Sports is more "COMPETITION", where you are entertained by it, but the outcome isn't predetermined, and there's a winner and a loser.

sports is a competition when you are participating. It is entertainment when you are watching. While the outcome isnt known, you cant impact it. And you dont know the outcome of most plays or movies either. You are there to be entertained. And just as Ryan Gosling or Brie Larson dont know who you are or care, the same holds true for the players who are entertaining you on the court or on the field. They just seem different because you see their performance live, but its the same thing. For some reason, people get more emotionally attached to sports to movies, though, and that makes sense to me when it involves your community but nothing about the New Orleans Pelicans is New Orleans. The players are all from different places, many live in other cities too when the season is over. Same for most/all in the front office. So this idea of rooting for our city vs some other city....I just dont buy that. But that depends on how you view the Ship of Theseus.

Its just another form of entertainment to distract you from life. No different than any other IMO, unless you can gain some benefit from it financially or a friend/family member is directly impacted

Would this make people feel better --

I (truly) believe the Pelicans have about a 5% chance of winning a title in the next 20 years, at which point I believe sports, society, and the world at large only has about a 35% chance of still existing.

For that 5% to happen, a truly rare outlier event will have to happen (think Giannis falling to the Bucks. And having a superstar that is that humble and hard working and desiring to stay in a city most Americans do not consider a premium place to live)

So, I shall not use never again. I will just say extremely unlikely, and yes I do believe that society, human existence, etc could easily be done by 2045-ish at the rate things are going.
    I think there's a decent chance that modern society crumbles in the next 20-25 years, sure. But to say mankind won't exist in 20-25 years seems truly pessimistic. You'd have to explain your concerns there to help me understand your thinking.

It’s as simple as this…look at the tools and means we have had to wipe each other out on a mass level over say the first million years of existence. Now, look at advancements in like the last 20. Imagine the rate of the next 20 years has that same rate of advancement and multiply that by the amount of fear generated by stupidly giving everyone a voice and I can’t see any reality in which we don’t wipe ourselves out within the next 100 years. Next 50 years? More likely we are gone than not for sure. Next 25 years? A good chance we have done it IMO

I play the game Civilization a lot. My belief is we are in the endgame now when you look at history of this planet as a whole. We certainly aren’t in the beginning or the middle. Hug your loved ones. It’s gonna be over sooner than you think

OK, I just got here and it's "doomsday" talk? Lighten up Francis and tell me how great Herb is gonna be and how quickly we are gonna pass the Grizz.

BTW: Seriously, I see no way civilization can continue, as we know it, barring a benevolent dictator coming to our rescue. I'd volunteer...but I'm kinda busy at the moment.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    It’s as simple as this…look at the tools and means we have had to wipe each other out on a mass level over say the first million years of existence. Now, look at advancements in like the last 20. Imagine the rate of the next 20 years has that same rate of advancement and multiply that by the amount of fear generated by stupidly giving everyone a voice and I can’t see any reality in which we don’t wipe ourselves out within the next 100 years. Next 50 years? More likely we are gone than not for sure. Next 25 years? A good chance we have done it IMO

I play the game Civilization a lot. My belief is we are in the endgame now when you look at history of this planet as a whole. We certainly aren’t in the beginning or the middle. Hug your loved ones. It’s gonna be over sooner than you think
    Pretty interesting when all the richest people on the world are itching to get off the planet. Is it just money flexing or seeing a collapse decades before it happens? Who knows.

Sounds like, if the deal isn't already done, it is super close. Definitely going to be some injury protections

Quote Originally Posted by Upper Decker View Post
    And you wonder why people don't like you.
    People will be less vexed by what he posts/tweets, if once they realize two things.

He's neither an optimist nor a pessimist. He's a contrarian. Kyrie Irving is also a contrarian. You say the earth is round, he'll take the position that the earth is flat.

He's not an NBA Insider, but that doesn't mean he doesn't give you well thought out and reasoned conjecture.

Both of those things make him the perfect message board participant. I'm glad he's around.

What's more likely between Zion signing a 3rd contract with us and society making it past 2050?

sports is a competition when you are participating. It is entertainment when you are watching. While the outcome isnt known, you cant impact it. And you dont know the outcome of most plays or movies either. You are there to be entertained. And just as Ryan Gosling or Brie Larson dont know who you are or care, the same holds true for the players who are entertaining you on the court or on the field. They just seem different because you see their performance live, but its the same thing. For some reason, people get more emotionally attached to sports to movies, though, and that makes sense to me when it involves your community but nothing about the New Orleans Pelicans is New Orleans. The players are all from different places, many live in other cities too when the season is over. Same for most/all in the front office. So this idea of rooting for our city vs some other city....I just dont buy that. But that depends on how you view the Ship of Theseus.

Its just another form of entertainment to distract you from life. No different than any other IMO, unless you can gain some benefit from it financially or a friend/family member is directly impacted
    This is pretty false. There have been plenty of players playing in all different types of cities, that reach a point where they establish a connection to the place and to the people who live there. May not happen if they don't stick around long enough, but for most who do they absolutely care about their city and the people who live there and form bonds, connections, and civic pride just like most real people do!

I've talked to players and former players who have a connection to their city. You don't think Tony Allen embraced the people and place he played for? Or Tim Duncan? Or Deuce McCallister?

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    This is pretty false. There have been plenty of players playing in all different types of cities, that reach a point where they establish a connection to the place and to the people who live there. May not happen if they don't stick around long enough, but for most who do they absolutely care about their city and the people who live there and form bonds, connections, and civic pride just like most real people do!

I've talked to players and former players who have a connection to their city. You don't think Tony Allen embraced the people and place he played for? Or Tim Duncan? Or Deuce McCallister?
    Good points. It's also amazing how many players actually DON'T want to play for their hometown team. Whether it's pressure dealing with the handout crowd or whatever, a lot of guys prefer to not have to deal with it.

At the end of the day, we don't control where we're born. While some people have a deep connection with their hometown, others don't and wind up connecting with the community in which they go to college or somewhere that's near and dear to a spouse. It's the same with athletes. Guys like Tony Allen, ZBo and Marc Gasol all have a deep connection with Memphis that they didn't have with where they were raised.

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    What's more likely between Zion signing a 3rd contract with us and society making it past 2050?
    LMAO!!! My favorite post ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    Zion signing a 3rd contract

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    People will be less vexed by what he posts/tweets, if once they realize two things.

He's neither an optimist nor a pessimist. He's a contrarian. Kyrie Irving is also a contrarian. You say the earth is round, he'll take the position that the earth is flat.

He's not an NBA Insider, but that doesn't mean he doesn't give you well thought out and reasoned conjecture.

Both of those things make him the perfect message board participant. I'm glad he's around.
    You have painted me into a corner here, for if I said I wasn’t a contrarian, it would prove your point

However, I would disagree slightly. I like to see balance in debates so if I see everyone piling on one side, I will present the case for the other. Not for the sake of arguing but to provide balance. So it’s not quite a contrarian. It’s more in the Thanos vein of balance

Which 50% of posters will you snap out of existence?

Thread Information