Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Rank Thes Outcomes

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Yup. But that dude is singing a new tune because the Pels are winners, because of Willie, because of CJ, etc

If I am Sacto, no chance I take a shot on Sharpe. Pels? Yes, please
    Nothing more endearing than a guy trying to leave when he doesn't immediately have it easy...

(especially when he didn't do anything 1/3rd of the time to help keep us out of lotto in his duration here.)

Is the argument here that Kawhi was a bad pick for them because of how it played out?!!?

Also, it was not just draft picks. Guys like Stephen Jackson helped them win titles. Point is, why build this supposed strong infrastructure if not to use that to bring in talented guys who might go the wrong way without good leadership? This is a 19 yr old kid who was the #1 prospect in his class. Every girl, every grown man in a basketball profession, etc has given him whatever he has wanted, told him whatever he wanted to hear, etc. if that happened to my 19 year old self, I might not be the most humble either. Doubt any of us would be. But that’s why you have a CJ, a Jonas, a Willie, a Trajan, etc.

Can’t build dynasties off all choir boys
    Actually the argument of Kawhi was that even with strong infrastructure (arguably the strongest in the NBA) it's almost impossible for a small market team to handle a player with a camp whispering in his ears how he deserves better teammates or to evolve in a bigger market. Kawhi was a good pick for the Spurs because they were close to title contention and could afford to invest on a player only for short term. Not the pels' case.

Again S.Jackson was seen as a difficult player due to being a headcase, not due to having an entourage degrading the team atmosphere. Complete different situation.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketfox View Post
    Nothing more endearing than a guy trying to leave when he doesn't immediately have it easy...

(especially when he didn't do anything 1/3rd of the time to help keep us out of lotto in his duration here.)
    Hey lets not do this again. This kind of crap is why I, and a number of others, left the board. Take it to tigerdroppings if you want to speculate

Is the argument here that Kawhi was a bad pick for them because of how it played out?!!?

Also, it was not just draft picks. Guys like Stephen Jackson helped them win titles. Point is, why build this supposed strong infrastructure if not to use that to bring in talented guys who might go the wrong way without good leadership? This is a 19 yr old kid who was the #1 prospect in his class. Every girl, every grown man in a basketball profession, etc has given him whatever he has wanted, told him whatever he wanted to hear, etc. if that happened to my 19 year old self, I might not be the most humble either. Doubt any of us would be. But that?s why you have a CJ, a Jonas, a Willie, a Trajan, etc.

Can?t build dynasties off all choir boys
    I'd have to agree. I think we have a strong enough locker room now with CJ, BI and JV for sure to be able to handle a 19 year old player. He would be picked #8, so he would not come in as a savior and should be able to be humbled.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    For what it?s worth, I heard their board was Trey, Kispert, Duarte in that order prior to the draft
    Have you heard how their board lays out this year?

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Have you heard how their board lays out this year?
    Nah that guy is no longer employed with the org lol, predictably. Hoping to get a few tidbits of inside info in the next few weeks though

Yup. But that dude is singing a new tune because the Pels are winners, because of Willie, because of CJ, etc
    Gonna be interesting negotiations this summer... I wonder what provisions Griff is going to try to put in the contract, and I hope both camps can come to an agreement on something(s) that's fair to both Zion and the organization.

For what it's worth, over/unders are opening today at:

Dyson Daniels - 6.5
    Shaedon Sharpe - 7.5
    Bennedict Mathurin - 8.5
    AJ Griffin - 10.5

1. Take Mathurin
    2. Take Daniels
    1. Package 8 and next years pick (with Lakers swap rights) to 4 or 5 for Sharpe
    3. Trade 8, 41, and 53 and Devonte Graham for 12, 30, and 34. Take Dieng, draft and stash Ismael Kamagate, draft Marjon Beauchamp
    2. Package 8 and next years pick (with Lakers swap rights) to 4 or 5 for Ivey
    1. Trade 8, 41, and 51 for 13 and 15. Draft Mark Williams and Malaki Branham
    2. Trade 8 for 11 and Mavs 2023 1st. Take Ousmane Dieng
    1. Trade 8 for 11 and Mavs 2023 1st. Take AJ Griffin
    3. Take Sochan
    3. Package 8 and next years pick (with Lakers swap rights) to 4 or 5 for Murray

I'm high on Mathurin. If he's there then you take him.

Daniels is right there with Mathurin so he's #2

Sharpe is still an unknown. While I'll give him the edge over Mathurin, losing the swap with the Lakers drops it to #3

Winding up with 3 foreigners is intriguing. Seems to be the best bet for small market success in the NBA

Just not sold on Ivey as a fit here. Pels need shooting but his upside is intriguing regardless. Maybe just take him and figure it out later?

Don't really need another big man like Mark Williams. If Johnny Davis is still on the board then this option would be more intriguing then winding up with Branham

Dieng is still an unknown but the upside is intriguing

Griffin is injury prone and Sochan, while the upside in intriguing, doesn't quite cut it for me at the 8 spot

No need for Murray with Zion and Nance on the roster although if a Zion trade is in the works, this option goes up a few notches

For what it's worth, over/unders are opening today at:

Dyson Daniels - 6.5
    Shaedon Sharpe - 7.5
    Bennedict Mathurin - 8.5
    AJ Griffin - 10.5
    Assuming that if the player gets picked higher in the draft then the Vegas number, it's considered "under" since the higher you get picked, the lower the number so I'll go...

Daniels OVER 6.5 as I seen him to us at 8
    Sharpe UNDER 7.5 as I see him in the top 6
    Mathurin UNDER 8.5 as I don't see him falling past us at 8. More likely he goes 6 or 7
    Griffin OVER 10.5 as I see him as late lotto/mid 1st. Too injury prone

Quote Originally Posted by Century City View Post
    Assuming that if the player gets picked higher in the draft then the Vegas number, it's considered "under" since the higher you get picked, the lower the number so I'll go...

Daniels OVER 6.5 as I seen him to us at 8
    Sharpe UNDER 7.5 as I see him in the top 6
    Mathurin UNDER 8.5 as I don't see him falling past us at 8. More likely he goes 6 or 7
    Griffin OVER 10.5 as I see him as late lotto/mid 1st. Too injury prone
    I think that would probably be smart money either than Mathurin. I think his ceiling is 8

I think that would probably be smart money either than Mathurin. I think his ceiling is 8
    I always wondered if Vegas did draft bets. While I'm not much of a gambler, this is the sort of thing I could probably throw a few bucks into the ring on...

Quote Originally Posted by Century City View Post
    I always wondered if Vegas did draft bets. While I'm not much of a gambler, this is the sort of thing I could probably throw a few bucks into the ring on...
    It's one of those things that, if you listen to a good bit of draft coverage, you should do pretty well. They make most of their money on the casual fan

New entertaining Shaedon Sharpe breakdown by Kyle J. Mann:

For those who dont wanna watch the whole thing - his basic conclusion is that Sharpe's career is gonna depend largely on where he goes. I couldnt agree more.
    @mcnamara247

For those who dont wanna watch the whole thing - his basic conclusion is that Sharpe's career is gonna depend largely on where he goes. I couldnt agree more.
    I guess that is why he is trying to dictate where he goes.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    I guess that is why he is trying to dictate where he goes.
    Maybe his camp is because they know he is a youngster that needs proper leadership around him. I can see his camp falling in love with Willie Green to push and motivate him
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Now MyBookie had Keegan Murray as the favorite to be the 8th pick. Odds for 8th pick are currently:

Murray +110
    Sharpe +190
    Ivey +300
    Daniels +1100
    Griffin +2900
    Mathurin +2900
    Davis +3900
    Sochan +10000

Still makes no sense to me. I think of the guys listed, the three "most likely" to be the pick based on these odds are the three that probably won't be there. Mathurin is the most likely, followed by Daniels, then some order of Davis, Griffin and Sochan. I almost feel like this is free money.
    Last edited by RUFshreve; 06-09-2022 at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Maybe his camp is because they know he is a youngster that needs proper leadership around him. I can see his camp falling in love with Willie Green to push and motivate him
    Good point. We've heard his camp is trying to push him towards certain teams, but we haven't heard who those teams are. I'd be really curious to hear how Griff and Co would feel if we were one of those teams, like I'd assume we are. I think part of the hesitancy to deal with players with an "involved" camp is that those people typically didn't want the player in New Orleans, but now that perception has changed.

From what I am hearing, Detroit and Portland sound like the two biggest wild cards. Sacto seems to be down to Ivey, Murray, or Sharpe. Indy is Ivey, Murray, Daniels. But Detroit is wide open and considering everyone, including Mathurin and Duren at 5. Portland is completely open for business and loves Murray, but if he isn’t there, would ideally love to trade the pick.

I don’t know how Murray is the odds on favorite for 8 because he is the guy I would bet almost anything would definitely be gone. Him, Ivey, and the Big 3 will definitely be off the board. If Daniels or Mathurin are left, they will be the Pels pick. If they are both gone I think it is either Dieng or trade back and let someone have Sharpe and hopefully still grab Dieng.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Now MyBookie had Keegan Murray as the favorite to be the 8th pick. Odds for 8th pick are currently:

Murray +110
    Sharpe +190
    Ivey +300
    Daniels +1100
    Griffin +2900
    Mathurin +2900
    Davis +3900
    Sochan +10000

Still makes no sense to me. I think of the guys listed, the three "most likely" to be the pick based on these odds are the three that probably won't be there. Mathurin is the most likely, followed by Daniels, then some order of Davis, Griffin and Sochan. I almost feel like this is free money.
    Are you sure you’re looking at the 8th pick? I believe those are the odds for the 5th

Starting to think about which FA I would target if we were to end up with one of these wings, but specifically Sharpe. I think I would love Joe Ingles. Type of guy where he’s coming off of an injury so you can get him for cheapish, maybe a 1 year MLE. Plus if he’s just not the guy he used to be, considering his age and injury, you can start to give the rookie some minutes here and there and a chance at taking that spot. Best case scenario, he’s a great spot up shooter and secondary playmaker who plus smart team defense. Worst case scenario, he’s a better Tony Snell with elite leadership qualities.

Are you sure you’re looking at the 8th pick? I believe those are the odds for the 5th
    No sir, it's definitely for the 8th pick. They don't even have the odds listed for the 5th pick.

From what I am hearing, Detroit and Portland sound like the two biggest wild cards. Sacto seems to be down to Ivey, Murray, or Sharpe. Indy is Ivey, Murray, Daniels. But Detroit is wide open and considering everyone, including Mathurin and Duren at 5. Portland is completely open for business and loves Murray, but if he isn’t there, would ideally love to trade the pick.

I don’t know how Murray is the odds on favorite for 8 because he is the guy I would bet almost anything would definitely be gone. Him, Ivey, and the Big 3 will definitely be off the board. If Daniels or Mathurin are left, they will be the Pels pick. If they are both gone I think it is either Dieng or trade back and let someone have Sharpe and hopefully still grab Dieng.
    I still don't get the infatuation with Dieng. I'd rather take a swing on Sochan than Dieng. Just as much upside and already great to elite at certain things, so his floor is much higher. Dieng doesn't have the strength, touch or explosiveness to be a good finisher around the rim. The games he did well that raised his stock were the last 12 games of the season for the New Zealand Breakers and they went 1-11 in those 12 games. I think Dieng has about a 98% bust potential. Now if we traded back with Charlotte for 13 and 15 and got Dieng and Sochan or something like that, it would be much easier to accept. But just walking away from this draft with Dieng would feel like such a wasted opportunity.
    Last edited by RUFshreve; 06-09-2022 at 12:21 PM.

Starting to think about which FA I would target if we were to end up with one of these wings, but specifically Sharpe. I think I would love Joe Ingles. Type of guy where he’s coming off of an injury so you can get him for cheapish, maybe a 1 year MLE. Plus if he’s just not the guy he used to be, considering his age and injury, you can start to give the rookie some minutes here and there and a chance at taking that spot. Best case scenario, he’s a great spot up shooter and secondary playmaker who plus smart team defense. Worst case scenario, he’s a better Tony Snell with elite leadership qualities.
    Couple things -- you can't use the MLE to just give a 1 year contract. Also, a Jazz employee told me Ingles is seriously considering going back to Australia to play his final season. But yeah, if he is willing to come and be a mentor, I'd give him Temple's roster spot, assuming the Pels could offload him.

Thread Information