Pelicans Report

Thread: Draft Prospects Film Session (ESPN)

Draft Prospects Film Session (ESPN)

Here are some videos with draft hopefuls, and aside from highlights and scouting videos these are sit-downs with Mike Schmitz of ESPN, and you get to know the players a little more than what you see on the court. Pretty cool series. I'll post these as I find more of guys that the Pels can potentially take with their #8 pick (or trade-up/down or whatever).

Keegan Murray

This one has been posted already in another thread, but for those that have not yet seen it...

Ousmane Dieng

No chance h3ll we have a shot at this guy, but here's Paolo

Paolo Banchero

Same with...

Chet Holmgren

Sounding like there might be an opportunity to get up to 5 - for Sharpe, Ivey, or Murray. No clue what the cost might be, but Detroit is open to a slight trade down. So, that means 3, 4, and 5 are all open to trades/trade downs. I would definitely give up next years first (w/LAL swap rights) to get to that range. The question is whether you give up that Lakers 24/25 pick to move up. Personally, I would for Sharpe. Ivey and Murray are tougher for me but maybe with a little sweetner like Detroit takes Graham, Pels get Cory Joseph
    @mcnamara247

MM... let's say one of the "Big 3" (Chet, Paolo or Jabari) magically falls to #3... someone gets stupid and reaches for a player that's not projected in the top 3. If one of those 3 guys were to fall to #3 I want you to please rank your top 3 in order which you would move up to 3 to take one of them, and why you'd make that move.

My head is spinning, trying to figure out what you are TRYING to ask

1. One of the top 3 WILL fall to 3. Like, 100% that happens.
    2. If someone reaches inside the top 3 and takes a guy not of 'the Big 3', then wouldnt 2 of the 3 still be there at 3?
    3. Or are you asking if I would trade up to 4?

So confused. Anyway, my top 4 is Chet, Paolo, Sharpe, Jabari - in that order. Chet is the only one I unload the war chest for. Paolo and Sharpe, I probably give that Lakers 24/25 pick up for, definitely give next years first up for (top-1 protected). I would give up next years first for Smith, Ivey, and Murray too - but would be hesitant to give up that Lakers 24/25 first.

But yeah, my assumption is the Pels are taking Mathurin at 8, so I am looking at it as: X player = Mathurin plus y. And I like Mathurin. My favorite comparison is probably Jason Richardson, and Richardson had some good years. But he was never an All Star, never All NBA. Ended up getting traded for the 8th pick in his prime, where Mathurin would be drafted here. I would trade that plus a good first for a guy I thought could be a multi time All Star (Paolo or Sharpe) and would trade that and a lot more for a guy who I think will make All NBA teams (Chet)

I think he's asking how you rank our assets and what you would be willing to trade to move up, to get each guy, if they fell to pick 3. Example: if Jabari falls to 3, what would you be willing to part with? Same with Chet, Paolo, Ivey, etc...

Atleast I think thats what he's asking. He worded that confusingly.

Yeah, and I think I answered it. But again, thats me. If Smith falls to 3 and Rockets are willing to trade back, Griff would unload the clip.

That said, it seems like the league is in agreement that Chet and Smith are going 1 and 2, in some order, and the draft starts at 3

MM, two questions. One, why are you confident that Mathurin will be the pick if we stay at 8? Does the FO really like him or just think he's the likely BPA that fits a need?

Two, what percentage would you put on us making a trade, either up or down, on or before draft day? Ex: 25% chance they move up, 10% they move down, etc.. I know alot of variables go into any draft day trade, but with those teams seemingly open to trading down and us having the assets to move up, I'm feeling like it's a really good possibility this year. I'm also open to trading down this year. Not far, but I'd trade down a few spots if several of the wings we like are on the board when we pick.

Yes, they really like him. Not as much as say Murray but I think he is the guy they like most with the best chance to be there.

I think trade up is more likely than trade down but still unlikely. If I had to handicap right now, I would say Stay at 8 is 75 percent. Move up is 18 percent. Move down is 7 percent

Oh, another thing to keep in mind is that they really regret not being more aggressive in the weeks leading up to the Kira draft. They loved some guys that year and wanted to move up, but day of the draft things moved so quick and nobody answered their phones. So they are going to be much more aggressive this year in setting up possible deals before draft night. Likely in both directions

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    My head is spinning, trying to figure out what you are TRYING to ask

1. One of the top 3 WILL fall to 3. Like, 100% that happens.
    2. If someone reaches inside the top 3 and takes a guy not of 'the Big 3', then wouldnt 2 of the 3 still be there at 3?
    3. Or are you asking if I would trade up to 4?

So confused. Anyway, my top 4 is Chet, Paolo, Sharpe, Jabari - in that order. Chet is the only one I unload the war chest for. Paolo and Sharpe, I probably give that Lakers 24/25 pick up for, definitely give next years first up for (top-1 protected). I would give up next years first for Smith, Ivey, and Murray too - but would be hesitant to give up that Lakers 24/25 first.

But yeah, my assumption is the Pels are taking Mathurin at 8, so I am looking at it as: X player = Mathurin plus y. And I like Mathurin. My favorite comparison is probably Jason Richardson, and Richardson had some good years. But he was never an All Star, never All NBA. Ended up getting traded for the 8th pick in his prime, where Mathurin would be drafted here. I would trade that plus a good first for a guy I thought could be a multi time All Star (Paolo or Sharpe) and would trade that and a lot more for a guy who I think will make All NBA teams (Chet)

My bad on the wording of the question... but you answered it.

I was actually assuming your top 3 were Chet, Paola and Jabari (in no particular order)... didn't know you had Sharpe at 3. Anyway the bolded part is what I was asking. Thanks for the extra info too.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    I think he's asking how you rank our assets and what you would be willing to trade to move up, to get each guy, if they fell to pick 3. Example: if Jabari falls to 3, what would you be willing to part with? Same with Chet, Paolo, Ivey, etc...

Atleast I think thats what he's asking. He worded that confusingly.
    Yeah that was it... my bad for the wording. It made sense in my head

That's interesting. I wonder who they loved enough to trade up for that year, considering they were gonna trade Haliburton to Dallas if they landed him.

I'm glad to hear they're being more aggressive this year. I just want them to identify the guy they really want and go get him. The guy who has all-star potential, fits our culture, wants to play here, and bonus points if he fills a need.

Jabari would be the top guy in my eyes, but he's likely unattainable. If he falls to 3, I'd move all the Lakers picks for him.

Team USA

Oh, another thing to keep in mind is that they really regret not being more aggressive in the weeks leading up to the Kira draft. They loved some guys that year and wanted to move up, but day of the draft things moved so quick and nobody answered their phones. So they are going to be much more aggressive this year in setting up possible deals before draft night. Likely in both directions
    The logistics of draft day trades (encompassing everything organised on the fly and days and weeks prior) has always fascinated me. Surely the majority of completed draft day trades are taken from a pre arranged short list. Making a possibly franchise altering trade on the fly must be extremely stressful, only heightened by the time constraint.

As you noted, nobody answered phones on the day. A simple risk assessment would tell you that this is a likely outcome for any number of reasons. I liken it to leaving an assignment to the last minute. Scramble, scramble, scramble. Uh oh, too late. Deadline's passed.

How did they justify being passive leading up? What else does POBO and GM really have to do between the end of the season and draft day?

Smells like asleep at the wheel to me
    Last edited by AusPel; 05-28-2022 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    The logistics of draft day trades (encompassing everything organised on the fly and days and weeks prior) has always fascinated me. Surely the majority of completed draft day trades are taken from a pre arranged short list. Making a possibly franchise altering trade on the fly must be extremely stressful, only heightened by the time constraint.

As you noted, nobody answered phones on the day. A simple risk assessment would tell you that this is a likely outcome for any number of reasons. I liken it to leaving an assignment to the last minute. Scramble, scramble, scramble. Uh oh, too late. Deadline's passed.

How did they justify being passive leading up? What else does POBO and GM really have to do between the end of the season and draft day?

Smells like asleep at the wheel to me
    Same with the trade deadline, almost everyone suddenly decides to start working that day hoping someone gets desperate to get a cheaper deal...kinda like a black friday sale where everyone rushes and not all gets to get an item

I'm assuming Patrick Williams and Haliburton?

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Thread Information