Pelicans Report

Thread: What's the odds of the Pelicans moving up in the Draft?

Question What's the odds of the Pelicans moving up in the Draft?

With the love Griffin has for Jabari and the fact that The Rockets and likely the Kings are open to trading back can you guys see the Pelicans using the war chest and moving up?
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Season Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    With the love Griffin has for Jabari and the fact that The Rockets and likely the Kings are open to trading back can you guys see the Pelicans using the war chest and moving up?
    How is this "a fact"? I've not seen this reporting.

If that it true, sure unload the clip. Let's get Jabari Smith. Dump all the Lakers and Bucks picks. Keep our own picks though, cause if we suck, we'll need em!

Not sure how to post tweets (can someone for the love of God please show me how) but here is a tweet from Real GM.

https://twitter.com/RealGM/status/15...Fl10VMkJw&s=19

I can't see the Pelicans being aggressive for any other player to move up for outside of Jabari. The scenario will have to go 1. Paolo 2. Chet (can't see OKC drafting Paolo) and we trade a ton of future firsts, Hayes, this year pick and move up or something like that.

They will fall in love with someone else between now and then, on top of Smith. Griff is an optimist. Bound to happen. Has happened every year. They will try to move up. Guaranteed
    @mcnamara247

Not sure how to post tweets (can someone for the love of God please show me how) but here is a tweet from Real GM.

https://twitter.com/RealGM/status/15...Fl10VMkJw&s=19

I can't see the Pelicans being aggressive for any other player to move up for outside of Jabari. The scenario will have to go 1. Paolo 2. Chet (can't see OKC drafting Paolo) and we trade a ton of future firsts, Hayes, this year pick and move up or something like that.
    If this is true, the framework of the trade could be # 8 and JAX, plus for #3. That's two # 8's + for # 3.

I can't see Houston trading with a division opponent though.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    If this is true, the framework of the trade could be # 8 and JAX, plus for #3. That's two # 8's + for # 3.

Yeah, I would not expect they would do it unless a severe overpay.

Season Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post

I'm not sure Jax is an asset. He's shown potential, but this article explains that the Pelicans (or whomever would trade for him) have a big decision to make. https://www.si.com/nba/pelicans/nba/...es-free-agency

I'm not sure any teams are lining up to be the ones who have to decide whether to paying or lose Jax. Plus his domestic violence issues, not to mention pending criminal charges.

Quote Originally Posted by Upper Decker View Post
    I'm not sure Jax is an asset. He's shown potential, but this article explains that the Pelicans (or whomever would trade for him) have a big decision to make. https://www.si.com/nba/pelicans/nba/...es-free-agency

I'm not sure any teams are lining up to be the ones who have to decide whether to paying or lose Jax. Plus his domestic violence issues, not to mention pending criminal charges.
    I was wrong about the first part of this post. I assume there was an agreement about sentencing when he plead no contest, but who knows. He'll be sentenced on June 14th, if like me you didn't know when the sentencing regarding the LAPD issue is.

But agree generally. I think a team might give you a very late first or early second to take a flyer on him. I see that as the best case in terms of his value. I don't get how all these fans who dislike Jax simultaneously think other teams will be falling all over themselves to get him.
    Last edited by Biasvasospasm; 05-18-2022 at 12:24 PM.

Jax is not an asset and should never put any value in where he or any player was drafted. Cause then we traded the #2 pick for sato and temple....

Jax rookie contract is almost over and who ever gets him will have to factor that. He hasn't proven anything yet and the team eyeing him will be because of supposed potential.

I don't see houston going for that package may it be on the same division or not, we would have to add future picks to entice them. I would just stay at 8 rather than trying to overpay for smith.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    3 way deal could make a ton of sense if Houston is looking to trade back.
    Could easily see OKC being willing to pick up assets to drop one slot from to #3. I think OKC is biding it's time and hoping to strike on Wembanyama next year.

Something like Pels get pick #2
    OKC gets pick #3, and Bucks 2027 pick top 4 protected - they could still grab Paulo.
    Houston gets #8, Pels 2023 pick top 4 protected (inclusive of swap rights with Lakers) and Lakers 2024 pick, top 4 protected (inclusive of option to defer - still top 4 protected)

Pels keep all the 2nds coming their way. And will still have their own picks from 2024 and beyond. Only draft they're sitting out of is 2023, but they may not have a clear roster spot available in 2023 if they decide to keep Jaxson.

That's emptying the clip in a responsible way IMO. I'll accept debate on whether the protections should be shifted, but that's up to Griff's negotiation skills. If they need to throw in some 2nds, fine, but keeping their own picks gives them a lot of flexibility from 2024 and beyond.

can someone for the love of God please show me how
    There are 3 dots at the top-right of the tweet. Click that, and you'll see "Embed tweet" as an option (click "Embed Tweet"). Click the blue "Copy Code" button, and when you paste the text it should begin with '< blockquote class =>'

If the team were to trade #8 for a player, what level player could you expect to see them get in return?

Stone is saying the Rockets are open to moving the pick, but that’s the biggest lie in Houston next to Taco Cabana being better than Torchys.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I think the highest Pelicans can move up will be 5th.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    I think the highest Pelicans can move up will be 5th.
    Which, IMHO, after the top 3 guys, everyone is just JAG. If the rest of the lottery talent is interchangeable, is a move up to 5 worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Which, IMHO, after the top 3 guys, everyone is just JAG. If the rest of the lottery talent is interchangeable, is a move up to 5 worth it?
    Depends on how our scouts view the talent.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    But history says that won’t be fact. Dion Waiters, Lillard, Rivers, etc we’re all in the same tier according to most people. One became a superstar and the other two….

Point is, you just can’t play it safe IMO and hide behind, “They are all about the same and I will just let one come to me”

Go identify the one that seems the same but that you believe in the most and go get him IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Go identify the one that seems the same but that you believe in the most and go get him IMO.
    OK. So how to decide? Byron Scott was knocked out by the Chris Paul workout here in NO. So the workout sometimes works. Interview? Background? Interest in living in NO? I am an amateur, obviously, so how to choose between Dyson Daniels, Bennedict Mathurin, Jeremy Sochan, Johnny Davis and Ousmane Dieng? I would choose Dieng because he is French but they all look good to me.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Spending future draft capital on a player on a rookie deal and under team control for 8 years is way more preferable to spending the same capital on a vet making max money and only under your control for a limited time. It's definitely the right move if they trust the available role and fit and the player evaluation. This might be the last best chance for the Pels to jump up to the top of the lottery for an elite guy. As long as any future picks are top 4 protected, I'd be willing to overwhelm a team if a trade can get me in position to draft whoever the Pels think is that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by johnpagenola View Post
    OK. So how to decide? Byron Scott was knocked out by the Chris Paul workout here in NO. So the workout sometimes works. Interview? Background? Interest in living in NO? I am an amateur, obviously, so how to choose between Dyson Daniels, Bennedict Mathurin, Jeremy Sochan, Johnny Davis and Ousmane Dieng? I would choose Dieng because he is French but they all look good to me.
    If anyone knew the exact way to decide, the right guys would go in the right order every year. Personally, I would be trying to get to 4 for Sharpe. But I can easily be wrong, as could anyone else

Trajon is in his bag. So, I'm gonna trust him.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    There are 3 dots at the top-right of the tweet. Click that, and you'll see "Embed tweet" as an option (click "Embed Tweet"). Click the blue "Copy Code" button, and when you paste the text it should begin with '< blockquote class =>'

Thanks fam

I'd make a substantial offer for any of the top 5 picks. I think Ivey and Sharpe both have true star potential, so I'd make the offer for them too.

8th plus Laker 24/25 may get you up to three

Thread Information