Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 56 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 NBA Draft Lottery

Mathurin

pros: higher ceiling, fits that need at the 2 guard spot/bench scorer, good shooter, can play off the ball, very athletic, good cutter, saw that fire in him during march madness where he willed arizona to a win (forgot which team it was against).

Cons: size limits him strictly as a 2 guard, could maybe play sf but would be undersized, needs to get his handles better.

Daniels

Pros: size allows him to play and defend 1-3 spot, good defender, good rebounder, good all around player, has a nice demeanor that would fit well with any team, good passer, can play point and facilitate, his size allows him to play with our undersized guards.

Cons: not a good shooter (he has a nice form though), not really that athletic, and last but not the least he's Australian...... ��

My pick between the 2 would probably be mathurin because of that potential, although i really like the versatility of daniels especially if he becomes a good/respectable shooter.. I've been going back and forth.

Personally I'm growing skeptical that Mathurin will still be there at 8. I think the first two are obviously going to be Dyson (edit: meant Jabari) and Chet. The next five is going to be some combination of Banchero, Murray, Ivey, Sharpe, and Mathurin.
    Last edited by Freyfamilyreuni; 05-21-2022 at 09:54 AM.

I can see liking someone more than Daniels, but I cant understand not liking Daniels. We are talking elite size and traits (people are saying not that athletic but he just had Scottie Barnes rookie best shuttle time and the best lane agility time at the combine....thats super athletic). He has amazing defensive metrics, and already has a floater and an in-between game, the hardest things to develop for most young guards/wings.

Sure, his shooting numbers weren't great, but Kuminga shot 24% from three and 62% from the line in his one G League season. Its a tough, weird transition for an 18 year old. In his first year in the NBA, Kuminga is already up to nearly 34%. Daniels shot looks great, just needs to add strength.

Again, I can see liking someone more - personally, I dont at the #8 spot, but I get it. But to see things like, "I dont see an NBA player" is wild to me
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    Personally I'm growing skeptical that Mathurin will still be there at 8. I think the first two are obviously going to be Dyson and Chet. The next five is going to be some combination of Banchero, Murray, Ivey, Sharpe, and Mathurin.
    So Jabari lasts until 8? Can I have some?

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    So Jabari lasts until 8? Can I have some?
    Sorry, I meant Jabari and Chet 1 & 2 or some combo of that. Dyson will be there at 8.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I can see liking someone more than Daniels, but I cant understand not liking Daniels. We are talking elite size and traits (people are saying not that athletic but he just had Scottie Barnes rookie best shuttle time and the best lane agility time at the combine....thats super athletic). He has amazing defensive metrics, and already has a floater and an in-between game, the hardest things to develop for most young guards/wings.

Sure, his shooting numbers weren't great, but Kuminga shot 24% from three and 62% from the line in his one G League season. Its a tough, weird transition for an 18 year old. In his first year in the NBA, Kuminga is already up to nearly 34%. Daniels shot looks great, just needs to add strength.

Again, I can see liking someone more - personally, I dont at the #8 spot, but I get it. But to see things like, "I dont see an NBA player" is wild to me
    Eh, just doesn't pass the eye test for me. Slowish, frail, a little too deliberate. I think defensively, he's feasting on smaller guards without a lot of talent. I think there is a danger he gets overwhelmed in a much faster, stronger league. But admittedly I've just seen clips not complete game footage.

And yes, if his shot was better I'd be a little higher on him. Maybe if he got stronger his 3 pt shot would improve.
    Last edited by Freyfamilyreuni; 05-21-2022 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    Personally I'm growing skeptical that Mathurin will still be there at 8. I think the first two are obviously going to be Dyson and Chet. The next five is going to be some combination of Banchero, Murray, Ivey, Sharpe, and Mathurin.
    Dyson and Chet? or Jabari and Chet?

As for Mathurin... I doubt he'd be there at 8 as well. I'm thinking he'll go 6 or 7, so if the Pels want him they'd have to move up a couple/few spots for him. If Jabari is still on the board at 3 the Pels should move Heaven and Earth to move up for him (IMO).

I like Dyson at 8. You won't need to teach him how to defend... but you CAN teach him to be a better shooter if he's willing to put in the work to better his shot. I just think we have enough guys that can already defend on the wings... we just need more/better shooting/scoring off the bench.

Yeah, I feel the same doubts in him as I felt when I fell in love with Haliburton and some just didnt like him at all. Haliburton also didnt 'pop' on these little highlight clips like others do. No high flying or fancy stuff. But those plays happen maybe once or twice a game, at most, in a game that has nearly 200 total possessions. What actually helps winning is IQ, versatility, defense, and playmaking. Dont matter how sexy it is.

All good, difference is what makes the world go round. But I am Team Daniels over here

I'm really starting to come around on Daniels, but all I've watched are some highlight tapes. One of the most intriguing things I've seen is his secondary rim protection. To those that have actually watched him: is that real or just a few stray highlights that exaggerate his ability?

He LOVES meeting guys at the rim and challenging shots. And his agility and length allow him to get there a lot. I would bet he has block numbers like Covington, who is regularly one of the only non centers to be over 1 block per game every year

He LOVES meeting guys at the rim and challenging shots. And his agility and length allow him to get there a lot. I would bet he has block numbers like Covington, who is regularly one of the only non centers to be over 1 block per game every year
    That's very exciting, especially thinking of the fit with our roster which has very little vertical shot blocking. If his shot comes around (and like others have said, his form looks great) he really does seem like an ideal fit with Zion, CJ, Herb, and Jonas.

Back to Mathurin, the more I watch of him the more I like him. Kind of reminds me of a taller, skinnier Vinnie Johnson. His shooting form really reminds me of the Microwave. Even his negatives (being foul prone and overagressive) aren't a big deal if you're just planning on giving him bench minutes early on.

Vinnie got to that mid range and was automatic. Could get to his spots. Mathurin is a catch and shoot guy or a cutter guy. Not a lot of in between.

I like Mathurin. Wouldnt at all be upset if Pels drafted him. But winning is about doing a ton of things to help, and Mathurin helps when he is scoring the ball. Daniels can help with playmaking, rebounding, scoring, and defense. I will just always take that first because scoring is the easiest thing to replace in the NBA

Vinnie got to that mid range and was automatic. Could get to his spots. Mathurin is a catch and shoot guy or a cutter guy. Not a lot of in between.

I like Mathurin. Wouldnt at all be upset if Pels drafted him. But winning is about doing a ton of things to help, and Mathurin helps when he is scoring the ball. Daniels can help with playmaking, rebounding, scoring, and defense. I will just always take that first because scoring is the easiest thing to replace in the NBA
    I mean yes and no. Mathurin is more of a modern update with his shot of choice being behind the arc. So yes, Vinnie midrange, Mathurin three point. But their shooting motion and quick release have similarities at least to me. And I don’t think Mathurin is just a catch and shoot guy. I’ve seen a number of plays where he was shooting off the dribble, granted mainly in transition, but some where he was coming off screens.

As opposed to say, Agbaji, who does seem like mainly just a catch and shoot guy, from what I’ve seen (and usually fairly wide open when he takes the shot).
    Last edited by Freyfamilyreuni; 05-21-2022 at 11:04 AM.

Yeah, I feel the same doubts in him as I felt when I fell in love with Haliburton and some just didnt like him at all. Haliburton also didnt 'pop' on these little highlight clips like others do. No high flying or fancy stuff. But those plays happen maybe once or twice a game, at most, in a game that has nearly 200 total possessions. What actually helps winning is IQ, versatility, defense, and playmaking. Dont matter how sexy it is.

All good, difference is what makes the world go round. But I am Team Daniels over here
    Lesson learned; see JAX.

What does FO think about AJ? Or do they think he's gone before 8?

Maybe I'm suffering PTSD from NAW's green light, but from what I saw from Mathurin. His shot selection don't stress me out.

It does feel like Mathurin has more fan hype.

At 7th... If it's Daniels or Mathurin. I don't see how you pick Mathurin over him. A bad team needs a Daniels more than a Mathurin.

We are in a weird spot. We do need another big time shot getter with CJ. Especially, if BI not going to shoot the three as much.

Granted... With Zion back. I do think BI will shoot more 3s. He was simply filling a role that was available to him with no Zion in the paint.
    Last edited by Taker597; 05-21-2022 at 01:06 PM.

It's really starting become a roster numbers game. It's why I didn't feel much for the Sochan discussion. Great prospect, tho.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    I like Mathurin, but the more I watch him I like other guys more.

Another thing I found interesting, if you look at these offensive minded guards/wings that go mid
    lottery they almost never pan out. If they do, they’re All-NBA types. I think a lot of it has to do with what McNamara said earlier, when they aren’t shooting/scoring they do nothing else for you, and to justify them they have to do it at a high level, and most don’t.

Bingo
    do you know if FO likes AJ Griffin?

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    I like Mathurin, but the more I watch him I like other guys more.
    I feel the same way

Dyson Daniels had (in my view) the most impressive showing of any prospect on the Pro Day circuit at the NBA Combine, shooting the lights out and looking like he still has immense potential he's yet to tap into. Starting to generate some top-five pick buzz. That's from Givony

Been really going back and forth with these prospects in our range... im torn between Sochan, Daniels and Eason

Shooting is still king with GSW coming back to dominance.

It's Daniels or Bennedict for me.

I can't see anything wrong. I do see Daniel as draft riser to 6th or 7th. I hope both fall to use so we don't settle.

Thread Information