Pelicans Report

Page 41 of 59 FirstFirst ... 31 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 51 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1466

Thread: 2022 NBA Draft Lottery

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    I should mention that my tidbit on Sochan is from prior to his meeting with the team
    I’m sure they love the good blend of human and dawg in him

Pretty easy sell when you consider what Trey and Herb are going to be looking at with that second deal.
    Correct. But Trey is a bit of an example of why agents dont want their kids going here as much as other places. Remember how Trey's year started? Team was awful and Temple was playing over him. Trey worked his way out of that, but even later in the year how many times were people on this board screaming he should have played more?

Nothing is given here, and other teams are willing to give them whatever they want. Again, nobody doesnt want to come to the city. Some guys just like the sugar other snakey franchises are selling more
    @mcnamara247

New first round board

1. Sharpe
    2. Ivey
    3. Daniels
    4. Dieng
    5. Sochan
    6. Branham
    7. Agbaji
    8. Liddell
    9. Eason
    10. Jovic
    Last edited by JR SMITH; 06-20-2022 at 10:44 AM.

I've been firm with this board for about the past week. There's a part of me that hopes we can get a Rockets pick out of OKC and get Sochan at 12 but I wont complain regardless. I'm talking myself into whoever we draft

1. Sharpe
    2. Daniels

3. Sochan
    4. Mathurin

5. Dieng
    Welcome to be here

Quote Originally Posted by neitzelbaby12 View Post
    I've been firm with this board for about the past week. There's a part of me that hopes we can get a Rockets pick out of OKC and get Sochan at 12 but I wont complain regardless. I'm talking myself into whoever we draft

1. Sharpe
    2. Daniels

3. Sochan
    4. Mathurin

5. Dieng
    I'll always say give me the guy who has shown it offensively over the guy who has shown it defensively. So many examples of guys who lacked effort defensively in college becoming good defenders in the pros. Way less examples of players who lacked an offensive skillset becoming decent offensively. Herb is an aberration, and its not like he was "good" offensively

My bias leads me to “give me the guy who has shown he can impact the game when he is not scoring/shot isn’t falling”

Dieng can play make for others and guard multiple positions. Same with Sochan and Dyson, who can also kill it on the boards. Davis will defend and can get to the line. It’s why Griffin is really the only guy that would be a disappointment to me. On a night he goes 1-5 from three, how did he help you win?

Updated odds

Daniels 4:1
    Mathurin 4:1
    Dieng 6:1
    Trade Down 10:1
    Murray 15:1
    Sochan 15:1
    Sharpe 20:1

Daniels or Mathurin are there, I think they are the pick. But with recent intel, I now actually think staying at 10 and picking Dieng is more likely than a trade down. Really need someone to grab Sharpe between 4-7

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    He wasnt the only one who cancelled, though? You gonna pass on Mathurin if he is there? I mean, Griffin was the only one who really showed and went through the full workout agreed to. So, then would you take him because of that?

Look, these guys arent cancelling because they dislike New Orleans. They just like the pitch being sold by other places more. Griff dont cater to these kids. Other places tell these guys, "shut it down, fall to us and you will get 35 minutes a game!" --- kid lights up. Griff dont do that. The kids reps asks Griff what he sees as the role for him and Griff will say things like "If he comes in and works hard, he could earn some minutes, but nothing is guaranteed."

Which team you think the handlers will steer the kid toward? But the second the Pels take him, the agent knows the path to their gravy train. They tell the kid to go in there and work his butt off, contribute to winning and that 2nd contract will come. Has NOTHING to do with the city of New Orleans. Read the above and you will understand whats going on with most of these guys and their handlers.
    Thank you for the response. I guess I was unaware a majority of these kids turn down/ not approve full workouts with teams.

I just figured they would want to showcase their abilities.

Not home run swinging on Sharpe will be a big mistake

For his trade value more than anything

Quote Originally Posted by PleaseWinPels View Post
    Thank you for the response. I guess I was unaware a majority of these kids turn down/ not approve full workouts with teams.

I just figured they would want to showcase their abilities.
    Would make sense, right? It’s a whole new era. As I said the other day, teams aren’t picking players any more. Players are picking teams. Even without guarantees, many of these guys are canceling workouts. Pels had a super week planned and when it was all said and done, only Griffin did everything agreed to when it was all set up. And I am not even talking lotto dudes. Other guys projected to go late teens cancelled. This new world is chaos

My hope (in order)

Murray (will he fall that far?)
    Mathurin
    Daniels

If all 3 are gone:

Dieng
    Sochan
    Griffin
    Davis

Would make sense, right? It’s a whole new era. As I said the other day, teams aren’t picking players any more. Players are picking teams. Even without guarantees, many of these guys are canceling workouts. Pels had a super week planned and when it was all said and done, only Griffin did everything agreed to when it was all set up. And I am not even talking lotto dudes. Other guys projected to go late teens cancelled. This new world is chaos
    You did say it was gonna be a big week which didn't seem to materialise

This explains it

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post

This explains it
    right, that explains it lol

Pelicans

I'm not sure where this mindset comes from that we can swing for the fences with the pick because we have a more set roster than normal.

There are five guys on this team you can count on for next year. BI, CJ, Trey, JV and Herb. I acknowledge that's likely better than most lottery teams. Obviously getting back a healthy, motivated and re-signed Zion is huge but I maintain my doubts that the first two are going to be constants moving forward.

Jose is a nice backup to have but if you could draft a dynamic point guard to even back up CJ at 8, you would do it in a heartbeat. Shame it doesn't appear to be an option. I think we all agree we'd love to see Temple and Graham elsewhere without giving up meaningful assets. While everyone is pleased that Jaxson has improved, I don't think anyone believes he here's long term (free agent in '24) or that his role would largely be diminished if Zion is healthy and motivated. Kira remains injured and wasn't impressive when he was healthy.

Given that roster, we should draft a guy at 8 that can make a difference with the second unit next year and grow from there.

The mindset comes from the philosophy that you can get X multiple places - X being a guy that you described, a nice player off the bench and go from there. Can get that via trade, via FA, via internal growth (Kira), can get that in the second round even

You can’t get Y (the stud) via any other means and might not have a top 10 pick again for a decade. Yes, the miss rate is higher when you swing for the home run, but that is the philosophy and I tend to agree with it

This explains it
    Maybe I will be able to go into all the details after the draft

The Franchise
    I’m taking Sharpe if Daniels isn’t there. I think you take the best upside, period. If they trade down that’s fine if your doing it to move money around and/or get a great veteran. I’m still going to shoot for the stars if I get a later pick. Dieng and Hardy are major upside picks that could flop but if they pan out, OMG. I’m imagining Collins and Hardy in a potential trade down could be really nice especially if we get off of Graham and Temple.

The Franchise
    Maybe I will be able to go into all the details after the draft
    Looking forward to just hear about stuff that happens and even who we had tabs on.

My bias leads me to “give me the guy who has shown he can impact the game when he is not scoring/shot isn’t falling”

Dieng can play make for others and guard multiple positions. Same with Sochan and Dyson, who can also kill it on the boards. Davis will defend and can get to the line. It’s why Griffin is really the only guy that would be a disappointment to me. On a night he goes 1-5 from three, how did he help you win?
    Gary Payton gave the Warriors more consistency when he was healthy and is a significantly better defender than Jordan Poole, but when Jordan Poole was hitting shots he was way more impactful and changed games for the Warriors.

I love multi-positional defenders, but I don't see much opportunity for this player to come in and consistently shine as a playmaker. Maybe year 2, or more likely year 3. But there is a role for a shooter off the bench paired with those point Zion minutes. Even if he's only a bigger version of Devante on defense. A bigger guard that won't be hunted because of his size is a net positive on that end from day 1.

It doesn't have to be in the draft, but the Pelicans have to add more 3pt shooting to this roster ASAP. It's a glaring weakness, that Kira and Zion don't solve at all, whereas they do give you more ability to make plays for others.

Not home run swinging on Sharpe will be a big mistake

For his trade value more than anything
    I agree!! If available, he's as close to a can't miss 8th pick as there is. Either you, keep him and develop him or you use him as chattel to parlay the 8th pick into much more. For me, it's a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    I’m taking Sharpe if Daniels isn’t there. I think you take the best upside, period. If they trade down that’s fine if your doing it to move money around and/or get a great veteran. I’m still going to shoot for the stars if I get a later pick. Dieng and Hardy are major upside picks that could flop but if they pan out, OMG. I’m imagining Collins and Hardy in a potential trade down could be really nice especially if we get off of Graham and Temple.
    Everyone's talking about Sharpe and his upside.

What about Dieng? He's 19, legit 6-10 with a 7+ wingspan, has a natural feel for the game, above average lateral agility makes him a great defender, good playmaker, and has shown flashes of BRILLIANCE vs professionals.

Struggled the first half of the year but shot well over the last 15 games.

Watch his game vs Melbourne.
    https://youtu.be/U72-KnLoZm0

Pels don’t think Dieng or Sochan will be there at 12. Crazy games being played right now. I think trade down gets less and less likely by the minute. Can’t wait to see what happens to draft twitter if Pels pass on Sharpe, Griffin, Sochan, etc for Dieng

I think Dieng is higher on their board than Sochan, which would ******** a lot of people off on Pels twitter

Pels don’t think Dieng or Sochan will be there at 12. Crazy games being played right now. I think trade down gets less and less likely by the minute. Can’t wait to see what happens to draft twitter if Pels pass on Sharpe, Griffin, Sochan, etc for Dieng
    exactly

I think Dieng is higher on their board than Sochan, which would ******** a lot of people off on Pels twitter
    I'd laugh. It's more entertaining when the draft throws you curve balls and doesn't match the mock consensus.

As a fan, I feel like this is a complete bonus and I'm appreciating the entertainment value of the lead up, the debates, and hopefully the draft itself on Thursday. This team's floor and ceiling for the next few years is not tied to this pick and that's a great spot to be in.

Thread Information