Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 59 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 NBA Draft Lottery

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Wouldn't give up next year's pick unless top 4 protected (including Lakers swap). With Webanyama potentially available, unprotected would be too big of a risk to go from 8 to 4.
    Next year's draft is projecting to have some really strong talent at the top. That's not to say that you can't trade a pick, of course you can, but it does mean that you're going to want legitimate return from it.

The top of next year's draft has Wenbanyama, yes, but it also has Amen and Ausar Thompson, Scoot Henderson, and Cam Whitmore, all of whom project as elite potential prospects. The Thompson twins, in particular, are kind of ridiculous to watch.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Can't see us having enough (that we would be willing to part with) to get Jabari. Not sure how far down they could go and ensure getting Dieng. Maybe 10-12?
    Oh, I dont think we can get Jabari either. I am just telling you what their plan will be. I think they will aggressively pursue trade ups. They have every year. Last year, they went HARD after #3 to get Mobley. Would have had to part with Ingram and they declined, but they went hard before eventually deciding to trade back and get Jonas

They will go hard after Smith and they will probably love at least one guy outside of the top 3 and will go hard after him. The curious part to me is if they just take Dieng at 8 or get cute and trade back a tiny bit. For me, New York is the perfect candidate. They are desperate to make a splash and I dont think Washington takes Dieng because he is too far away. So, you are basically gambling that SA doesnt take him. But even if they do, a Sochan or a Daniels would then likely be there at 11.

I would do 8 and Graham for Burks, 11, and the Mavs 2023 pick.
    @mcnamara247

If this were the NFL, I'd be cool with us trading back for future 1st round picks from bad teams.....but the NBA doesn't often work like that. It's like, it's amazing we have such a great pick with so successful a team but we already have so much youth demanding minutes that it would be nice if we could kick the can down the road a few years AND gain assets.

But since that's not realistic, I'm all about sticking at 8 and going BPA. Not thinking about trading up at all.

I'm definitely not moving that future Lakers pick or the pick we have the swap for next season because that's the key to us changing this from "we're going to be contenders the next five seasons or so" into "we just might be a dynasty for more than a decade". I can see the Lakers being awful and getting a superstar prospect in a year or two would be beautiful timing.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Right, but imagine if you had traded NAW, and Kira, and Jaxson for one AMAZING player. One top 30 player has the value of 3 or 4 really good starters IMO. If you identify a guy who can be a top 30 player, you go get him and "overpay"

Because those Lakers picks can easily turn into picks in the teens or even early 20s and you just got a bunch of meh players or fringe starters and you dont have minutes to give them any way because your roster is already so overcrowded.

Imagine trading up from 10 to 6 or 7 or even 9 in 2012. Getting Haliburton instead of Kira in 2020. Garland instead of Jax and NAW. I can go on and on. A plethora of possibilities and picks doesn not compare to a top 30 player in hand. If there was a guy that my evaluation told me was gonna be that, I am not letting a Lakers pick stand in the way of me going and getting him. I would have traded up every year these past couple years (last year included) over trading down or staying where I was at. Its about getting difference makers, not really good guys. Better chance of doing that at 4 or 5 than at. I would go get Sharpe, personally. Even if I had to "overpay" because eventually those future picks become real players and they more often become Kira or NAW or Hayes, etc than they become anyone of real consequence

You guys are killing me with wanting to trade the pick all together. You can get a lower pick in first round and pick up a shooter from some teams and throw in the contracts of players you don't want to keep. I want the team to get young talent.

Pelicans Don't understand logic of trading the 8th pick

Quote Originally Posted by Lee2000 View Post
    You guys are killing me with wanting to trade the pick all together. You can get a lower pick in first round and pick up a shooter from some teams and throw in the contracts of players you don't want to keep. I want the team to get young talent.
    Team without Zion and Lewis almost beat the top seed in the West and if you add a top 8 eight pick we'd being tearing up the league next year. I've seen teams trade and tweak their roster so it bites them in the rear the following year. We have good chemistry with young guys and now a top pick to add to it. Sometimes it's best to stand pat.
    Last edited by sterlr; 05-18-2022 at 07:49 AM.

You guys understand that the people advocating to trade the pick are advocating trading UP, thereby selecting a young guy, right? I have seen very few (maybe none) who are advocating to trade it for a young vet.

The idea is more akin to: Yeah, Austin Rivers is nice but if you can add another future 1st and move up to get Damian Lillard in 2012, you do that. There is a world where a Mathurin is a nice player but a Sharpe or Ivey is All NBA and in that world, it would take 5 firsts to upgrade from Mathurin to them. So, doing it now when it might only take one or two is worth considering

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    The Thompson twins, in particular, are kind of ridiculous to watch.
    I agree.

Pelicans Good point

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    You guys understand that the people advocating to trade the pick are advocating trading UP, thereby selecting a young guy, right? I have seen very few (maybe none) who are advocating to trade it for a young vet.

The idea is more akin to: Yeah, Austin Rivers is nice but if you can add another future 1st and move up to get Damian Lillard in 2012, you do that. There is a world where a Mathurin is a nice player but a Sharpe or Ivey is All NBA and in that world, it would take 5 firsts to upgrade from Mathurin to them. So, doing it now when it might only take one or two is worth considering
    But will we have enough basketballs to go around with more ball dominant players in the mix? I believe we have enough of those types already. We need complimentary players preferable offenseive minded guys.

Man, not having enough balls to go around is why I would love for us to grab GPII in FA, or Roddy later in the draft. Those guys don’t need the ball in their hands, or a certain amount of shots in order for them to be effective.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by sterlr View Post
    But will we have enough basketballs to go around with more ball dominant players in the mix? I believe we have enough of those types already. We need complimentary players preferable offenseive minded guys.
    I dont think Zion will still be on the team by the time the guy we draft in June reaches his prime, so I am not worried about that. Plus, CJ will be over the hill and/or gone. So, basically, it would be this guy plus Ingram as your man scorers.

I am telling you, NEVER draft with current roster in mind because there is so much turnover in todays NBA that the odds of your needs in 2025 being the same as 2022 is slim to none

Season Ticket Holder
    I wonder how high we could move up if we packaged #8 with the 2023 Lakers swap -and- the 2024 Lakers unprotected. Maybe toss in a Bucks pick or even our own 2023 pick unprotected.

Of course, one of those top 4 teams would want to forego a blue chipper for "down the road" assets. I don't think any of those teams would do that. Except for OKC. Hahaha! They'll just have all the picks!!!!!!!!!

Oh, I dont think we can get Jabari either. I am just telling you what their plan will be. I think they will aggressively pursue trade ups. They have every year. Last year, they went HARD after #3 to get Mobley. Would have had to part with Ingram and they declined, but they went hard before eventually deciding to trade back and get Jonas

They will go hard after Smith and they will probably love at least one guy outside of the top 3 and will go hard after him. The curious part to me is if they just take Dieng at 8 or get cute and trade back a tiny bit. For me, New York is the perfect candidate. They are desperate to make a splash and I dont think Washington takes Dieng because he is too far away. So, you are basically gambling that SA doesnt take him. But even if they do, a Sochan or a Daniels would then likely be there at 11.

I would do 8 and Graham for Burks, 11, and the Mavs 2023 pick.
    Yeah, if the top 6 are gone at 8, I would be all over that trade. Burks fits as a shooter on this team for now and adding another pick for a potential future deal is gravy. Also, allows us to get off of his contract after a year while dumping the last add'l 2 years of Graham's deal.

I'm surprised more people on this board aren't as high on Ivey as I am. If he's there at 4 I'd be willing to part with some serious assets to get him. I can't see him not developing into a very good scorer in the NBA and I think he'll ultimately be a Jamal Murray/Donovan Mitchell tier player. Would be perfect to fill in for CJ as he ages.

MM is there any world where the Pelicans change their tune on Sharpe or Ivey and try to trade up for them? I know they are all in on Jabari but I can't see him lasting long on the board.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Measurements are out now from the draft combine

Eason: 6'8 in shoes 7'2w/s 217.4lbs
    Jovic: 6'11 in shoes 7'0.25w/s 222.6lbs
    Davis: 6'5.75 in shoes 6'8.5w/s 196.4lbs
    Agbaji: 6'5.75 in shoes 6'10.25w/s 216.8lbs
    Mathurin: 6'6 in shoes 6'9w/s 204.6lbs
    Sharpe: 6'5.25 in shoes 6'11.5 w/s 198lbs
    Daniels: 6'7.5 in shoes 6'10.5w/s 195lbs

Quote Originally Posted by WhenWereHealthy View Post
    I'm surprised more people on this board aren't as high on Ivey as I am. If he's there at 4 I'd be willing to part with some serious assets to get him. I can't see him not developing into a very good scorer in the NBA and I think he'll ultimately be a Jamal Murray/Donovan Mitchell tier player. Would be perfect to fill in for CJ as he ages.

If someone believes in Ivey, they got to believe in Notre Dame's Blake Wesley huh? take Ivey back to his freshman year and he's very similar. their athletic profile is about the same too. Ivey a tad more explosive but not as long of strides

I think that Lakers 2024/25 pick is seen as one of the most prized assets in the league, if you want to part with it. Griff puts that on the table, and he can get any guard he wants in this draft. Or Murray. And I am sure he would offer it for Jabari, I just dont think any of the top 3 trade out regardless of what is offered. Unless it is within the top 3. Historically, teams dont trade out of top tier and I think the consensus will be a three man top tier come June
    Do you think this offseason represents peak value for that pick?

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Do you think this offseason represents peak value for that pick?
    I think there is a good chance it might. Other teams are so down on the Lakers future that they would line up to bet against it. But if they make the right move when Westbrook falls off the books, that pick could easily be in the late teens or 20s both years

I think there is a good chance it might. Other teams are so down on the Lakers future that they would line up to bet against it. But if they make the right move when Westbrook falls off the books, that pick could easily be in the late teens or 20s both years
    It is really fascinating to me the choices we'll have to manage this asset...they're obviously low now but with the chance/flexibility to improve as you say. Wonder what a LeBron extension looks like? Hopefully he'll continue to insist on max money. Of course, they haven't been able to get out of their own way going on 10 years now (other than their location bringing in Lebron and LeBron bringing in AD) so as LeBron continues his decline (?) it's possible they'll be even worse. Pelinka seems safe now but could he survive another bad year? Who would be next, Kurt Rambis (/eagerly rubs palms together)? Pretty much anything from title to most ping pong balls seems to realistically be in play.

MM do you know so far who the Pelicans interviewed?

Saw this-

I'm pretty at peace at getting Ben Mathurin. Wouldn't trade up for Ivey.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    I'm pretty at peace at getting Ben Mathurin. Wouldn't trade up for Ivey.
    But how sweet would it be to draft Ivey, then he pops big time, and becomes equal to or greater than Morant? The irony would be awesome.
    And basketball is an entertainment business at the end of the day, right? Having Ivey fast breaks and dunks, alongside Zion's and the rest... Showtime Pelicans.

After watching this, I'm team Sochan at 8. He's basically a defensive unicorn, with offensive upside.

Thread Information