Pelicans Report

Page 35 of 59 FirstFirst ... 25 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 45 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 NBA Draft Lottery

From what I have gathered, the Pels board on Thursday will end up looking something like

1. Smith
    2. Chet
    3. Paolo
    4. Murray
    5. Ivey
    6. Daniels
    7. Mathurin

8-11 in some order: Dieng, Sharpe, Griffin, Sochan

No clue how those final 4 are gonna fall. But I am extremely confident that is their top 6 in some order and Mathurin is 7
    @mcnamara247

Not sure how much I believe the Stein report saying the Pels are looking for win now compensation considering the effort they have put into scouting these prospects

You don’t look into the prospects just to take them. The smart teams spend as much time as possible with as many guys as possible, knowing that almost all of them will have a second and third NBA team. You are getting to know them for when you have a chance to get them in 2027

You’d agree with my overarching point, though, that the “win now” point is misleading. At least, based on what I’ve heard

I mean, if you trade a pick and an NBA player comes back as part of the return, you can label it as “win now” because almost any NBA player will help more than a 19 yr old

They have had feeler convos involving J Grant, Collins, and a few other guys. But even if you do 8 for Dort and 12, simpletons will label it “win now”

It’s a broad term that I have always hated because it implies just now, not later also. Hate it

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    The crazy one who could be there is Murray. Sharpe and Daniels are the current hot trade up candidates. In a world where Ivey goes 4 and Mathurin 5, what if teams trade up to 6 and 7 for Daniels and Sharpe?

All of a sudden Murray is there
    Griff snaps his quad running the card up to Silver. At least I would.

He could talk to Demps about rehab process lol

I mean, if you trade a pick and an NBA player comes back as part of the return, you can label it as “win now” because almost any NBA player will help more than a 19 yr old

They have had feeler convos involving J Grant, Collins, and a few other guys. But even if you do 8 for Dort and 12, simpletons will label it “win now”

It’s a broad term that I have always hated because it implies just now, not later also. Hate it
    Yep agreed. Well said

I’m not a big Sochan guy, but I do think coming out of this draft with Sochan and Dort would be a pretty big win

And I understand that Dort is on an expiring, but worst case scenario he bridges the gap so Trey, Kira, and Sochan can develop and he helps the Pels continue to grow a defensive identity

If the offer is 12 and Dort, I am sure you can scour the league for a few teams that really like Dort and can get the asset that way. Heck, I bet NY would happily give up that 2023 Mavs pick for him, which is what I would ask for to move up from 11

The question for me is: How do you create a bidding war for 8?

OKC wants Sharpe, but who else does? I actually think Duren is the guy you get teams competing for. I could see the Spurs, Wiz, Knicks and Charlotte all having interest. Hope he is working out and interviewing well to create that leverage

Yea that’s fair. What are the rules on a mid season trade involving Dort?

Lol - If Daniels is there, they will SPRINT the card up to Silver
    Maybe, but I think the only one worth SPRINTING up to the podium for is Murray if he drops. Personally I think we'll see the following play out:

top three what everyone is predicting.

Sac trades their pick and moves down, a Pacers flip makes the most sense.

Pacers take Ivey.

Detroit takes Mathurnin (I hear they really liked him, unless it's a smokescreen, but it may be why he cancelled his visit to us)

Sac takes Murray.

Portland either takes Daniels or trades it to a team who wants either Daniels or Sharpe.

Like you said we might then take Daniels or trade down if we can stay within a range Griff is comfortable with.

I think if we have to choose between Sharpe or Sochan or Griffin, (without any trade down partners), I think we take Sochan.

Sochan just ticks off too many boxes that Griffin seems to be coveting, demonstrably high basketball iq, competitiveness, good size for a wing, good athleticism, can come straight in and help with out perimeter defense. If they think his three point shot has promise then I think Griffin is going to fall too hard for this guy to pass up. And the icing on the cake is that I bet Griffin is going to think that the guy's goofiness is going to fit in well with the locker room.

I'm not saying it's necessarily the right pick, I just see Griffin falling in love with this guy.
    Last edited by Freyfamilyreuni; 06-18-2022 at 03:56 PM.

The question for me is: How do you create a bidding war for 8?

OKC wants Sharpe, but who else does? I actually think Duren is the guy you get teams competing for. I could see the Spurs, Wiz, Knicks and Charlotte all having interest. Hope he is working out and interviewing well to create that leverage
    Curious...assuming they want him...do the Pels have reasonable expectations that Sochan would be available at the 12 spot if they traded down? I like Sochan a bunch for the Pels but I can understand where he would be the type player that many teams would not really see as a "fit" for them, especially in the top 12 of the draft.

I’m pretty confident based on what I was told that they think 8 is too high for Sochan. Don’t know about their feelings on Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    I’m pretty confident based on what I was told that they think 8 is too high for Sochan. Don’t know about their feelings on Griffin
    It's why I think they'll look to trade down with an eye on staying within a range that they'll think he'll be available and a spot that's more in line with his value.

Kentucky's Shaedon Sharpe Before NBA Draft: I See Myself as 1 of Basketball's GOATs

Five days away from the 2022 NBA draft, Shaedon Sharpe certainly isn't lacking confidence.

Speaking to reporters Saturday, Sharpe said he sees himself "as one of the greatest players to ever play the game of basketball."

That level of belief in himself has clearly served Sharpe well in his life thus far. The 19-year-old is expected to be one of the first players selected in the draft Thursday.

B/R's Jonathan Wasserman has Sharpe projected to be selected No. 8 overall by the New Orleans Pelicans in his latest mock draft but noted he could potentially go in the top four.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ketballs-goats

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    It's why I think they'll look to trade down with an eye on staying within a range that they'll think he'll be available and a spot that's more in line with his value.
    This is why I just take the guy that most teams I am willing to trade with wants and I wait for the pick they have and I negotiate then, depending on if a guy I love is there or not.

I dont trade blind unless the number of guys I love matches the number of picks I have to move down.

If the offer is 12 and Dort, I am sure you can scour the league for a few teams that really like Dort and can get the asset that way. Heck, I bet NY would happily give up that 2023 Mavs pick for him, which is what I would ask for to move up from 11
    That 2023 Mavs pick has almost no value. Don't know why you keep mentioning it as an asset we should want. 1 year of Dort has way more value than that pick.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    The guy is crazy talented and athletic. But give me a break.

This is why I just take the guy that most teams I am willing to trade with wants and I wait for the pick they have and I negotiate then, depending on if a guy I love is there or not.

I dont trade blind unless the number of guys I love matches the number of picks I have to move down.
    It seems the Pels have expressed interest in Griffin, Branham, and Sochan is there a 4th guy they’ve worked out? Did they work out either JohnnyDavis or Dieng?

So assuming OKC is interested in Sharpe and he falls to us, are you comfortable enough with this group to pull the trigger and swap with OKC and what do you want in return?

Sochan being the 8th pick has +10000 odds. Are we sure the Pels wouldn't take him at 8? Because I'm tempted to put that money down lol

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Sochan being the 8th pick has +10000 odds. Are we sure the Pels wouldn't take him at 8? Because I'm tempted to put that money down lol
    I think it’s more likely that Griffin would take Sochan at 8 than Sharpe. It’s one of the reasons I wish Griffin would stop giving interviews, he always says and reveals too much.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Dort and 12 to Portland looks likely to be the trade OKC makes and Sharpe would be gone before the Pelicans pick.

Someone at 4 picks Ivy (possible Kings trade)
    Detroit takes Mathurin at 5
    Pacers happily take Murray at 6.

Starting to feel like Daniels will be a Pelican at 8.

Thread Information