Pelicans Report

Page 33 of 59 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 43 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 NBA Draft Lottery

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Is this a real thing? Lol, you have a link? How did they know it's his burner account?
    https://twitter.com/ConnerS1_/status...eHsCVK-Mg&s=19

Look at the person Witkor who liked it and see who is following him/her (he/she only has 68 followers)
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    Maybe you didn't mean to be, but.....
    You turned your impressions and hopes into an attack because you did not receive the info you wanted or in a timely manner.
    This is all fun and speculation no matter your name on this board.
    You want answers then watch Thursday.
    Lol Draft season always have people freak out. Happens to me sometimes as well lol. The anxiousness will be over soon in a couple of days.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Herb shot under 34% from 3. He shot 30% post ASB.

Not a guy we want? Wouldn?t take another, bigger Herb?

Weighing that one little percentage so much is crazy to me. Especially for a guy who would be a lower volume guy.
    Ok, so how many Herbs would be too many Herbs? Could we build the whole thing out of Herbs? Could you play Herb and Sochan on the court at the same time if neither becomes much of a shooter?

Now if you told me Sochan is going to be a more valuable defender than Herb and I can trade in my Herb stock in the next 18 months before I have to pay him $15-20m per year, then I might be on board with Sochan.

I agree you can live with one subpar shooter on the floor but it gets tricky once you have two. Zion and BI are better with clear path to the basket. I hope Herb will continue his improvement from 3 because it will make the fit so much easier.

For Sochan, to me, his closest comparison is Aaron Gordon. He's the type of player you may draft with a vision of him spending the year in G-league and coming into training camp you finally elect to keep him because of his defense.

The good news for me, it's so far I don't have a huge dislike in the top 15 of the draft (few meh like Duren and Griffin), so unless for a massive trade-down I'm pretty confident I will be happy with the player selected.

MM, what have you heard about the FO's thoughts on Sochan and the potential of taking him at #8? Is he a trade down candidate only or if Daniels and Mathurin are gone, could Sochan be the next option?

If we're not gonna take Sharpe, and Daniels and Mathurin are gone, then Sochan is the guy I want. But you haven't mentioned him much compared to guys like Daniels, Mathurin, Dieng, Sharpe and even Griffin. The dinner pic tells me they're interested, so how interested are they?

All I have heard is that 8 is unlikely but they love the kid, got really good feedback from people on him during backround, and think he would be a great culture fit. Grades very high on the 'human' component
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Ok, so how many Herbs would be too many Herbs? Could we build the whole thing out of Herbs? Could you play Herb and Sochan on the court at the same time if neither becomes much of a shooter?

Now if you told me Sochan is going to be a more valuable defender than Herb and I can trade in my Herb stock in the next 18 months before I have to pay him $15-20m per year, then I might be on board with Sochan.
    Personally, I would happily take two more Herbs, maybe 3. Would you have challenges? Of course, but every roster does. Cant build the perfect one. Boston didnt have enough ballhandling. Golden State no real rim protection. But personally, I think that if you have enough IQ on the floor, they will figure out how to score more points than the other team. Thats the name of the game. Not to build this perfect roster on paper. Grab IQ, toughness, and culture fit and you can easily figure out the rest later. No way I would turn down more Herbs

Hoop Intellect did a scouting vid on Branham... his name has been tossed around lately.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    All I have heard is that 8 is unlikely but they love the kid, got really good feedback from people on him during backround, and think he would be a great culture fit. Grades very high on the 'human' component
    This is disappointing to me. Sochan is one of my favorite prospects in this class. He’s higher than 8th on my board.

Well, it’s still a few days away. At this point in the process, there is no “Pelicans board”

Way this FO works is VERY collaborative. I don’t expect them to have a final board until Wednesday. Just looks like there are more guys universally loved but there is nobody who dislikes Sochan (unlike guys like Sharpe)

One day I, and/or some others, will tell you all that went down in this years pre draft process. The irony would be hilarious if it wasn’t so infuriating.

Anyway, through it all, I still think it’s Daniels or Mathurin and all the rest would have been distraction. But man, if fans only knew what went on behind the scenes they would hate almost all of these kids (or more so, their agents and handlers)

Odds after recent intel:

Mathurin 5:2
    Daniels 4:1
    Trade down 6:1
    Dieng 12:1
    Griffin 15:1
    Sochan 20:1

Daniels or Mathurin. If both are there it’s Daniels. If both are gone, I honestly have no idea and I don’t think the team does either. There is some belief Dieng is gone at 9. So if you trade down to 12 and Sharpe and Dieng go 8 and 9, you could be in trouble if Sochan and Griffin go 10 and 11.

Just really don’t know what happens if the top 7 goes: Big 3, Ivey, Murray, Daniels, Mathurin

One day I, and/or some others, will tell you all that went down in this years pre draft process. The irony would be hilarious if it wasn’t so infuriating.

Anyway, through it all, I still think it’s Daniels or Mathurin and all the rest would have been distraction. But man, if fans only knew what went on behind the scenes they would hate almost all of these kids (or more so, their agents and handlers)
    Is there a TV show you could compare it to? Just want to emotionally prepare
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    MM, what have you heard about the FO's thoughts on Sochan and the potential of taking him at #8? Is he a trade down candidate only or if Daniels and Mathurin are gone, could Sochan be the next option?

If we're not gonna take Sharpe, and Daniels and Mathurin are gone, then Sochan is the guy I want. But you haven't mentioned him much compared to guys like Daniels, Mathurin, Dieng, Sharpe and even Griffin. The dinner pic tells me they're interested, so how interested are they?
    They like Sochan as a trade down candidate

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    They like Sochan as a trade down candidate
    Correct

I feel Mathurin received a top 7 draft promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin_Food View Post
    Is there a TV show you could compare it to? Just want to emotionally prepare
    Nothing to prepare for. They will pick a guy and say all the right things. Never say a bad word about other kids and all will move on

But this process used to have some manipulation. Now the whole thing is driven by agents and handlers. It’s gross behind the scenes. Like, what Eli Mannings people did to avoid San Diego…that’s every kids group now, even like mid to late 1st round guys. It basically already is like free agency. If you guys think teams are picking players, you are wrong. Players are picking teams next Thursday

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    I feel that way about Sharpe

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Ha hadn’t. Nobody 4-7 can or has promised anyone because they are all still talking trade. Guys aren’t just shutting stuff down because of slot promises, I can tell you that. It’s also minutes and promised roles. Like in college recruiting. “You go to Bama and they are gonna redshirt you. But if you come here, you start day 1!”

Different things attract different guys
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 06-18-2022 at 10:29 AM.

Correct
    JMO...trade down for Sochan MIGHT be the best of all possible outcomes.

And btw: I'm new here & thought I had posted an addendum to my seemingly insane post about Herb's shooting percentage from 3-pt distance last season. I can't seem to locate it now, guess I did something wrong while trying to post it, so I apologize for assuming you would have read that post...and would understand where I came up with those figures. Which are correct, of course.

Nothing to prepare for. They will pick a guy and say all the right things. Never say a bad word about other kids and all will move on

But this process used to have some manipulation. Now the whole thing is driven by agents and handlers. It’s gross behind the scenes. Like, what Eli Mannings people did to avoid San Diego…that’s every kids group now, even like mid to late 1st round guys. It basically already is like free agency. If you guys think teams are picking players, you are wrong. Players are picking teams next Thursday
    Will that's a good sign if you said players are picking to WANT to come here.

First round board.

1. Daniels
    2. Dieng
    3. Sochan
    4. Ivey
    5. Sharpe
    6. Branham
    7. Agbaji
    8. Liddell
    9. Eason
    10. Jovic

Second round.

1. Watson
    2. LaRavia
    3. McGowens
    4. Braun
    5. Moore Jr.
    6. Brown
    7. Nembhard
    Last edited by JR SMITH; 06-18-2022 at 10:44 AM.

I mean hasn't it always been this way? We just live in an era of instant info and widespread communication. Either way, I believe in what the FO is doing, they have seemed to find an identity for the team (cannot remember the last time the hornets/pelicans had an identity).

Also got a good bit of money of Mathurin going 8, so, cheers

It was a 10 in the 90s. A 15 in the early 2000s. Maybe a 30 in the 2010s. It’s like a 75 now. Two or three guys a draft used to do this. Now it’s more than a dozen

And to be clear, it ain’t the kids as much as it’s their handlers.

It was a 10 in the 90s. A 15 in the early 2000s. Maybe a 30 in the 2010s. It’s like a 75 now. Two or three guys a draft used to do this. Now it’s more than a dozen

And to be clear, it ain’t the kids as much as it’s their handlers.

It was like the time I figured out there ain't no Santa Claus...when my favorite player of all time...on my favorite team of all time...suddenly brought Uncle Dennis into my life. Haven't looked at things quite the same...since then.

Thread Information