Pelicans Report

Page 29 of 59 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 39 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 NBA Draft Lottery

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Devonte Graham does not like this new proposed CBA
    Elaborate please

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    This argument is often made but the pure data tells another story. The league has most interest and ratings when dynasties rule, not parity

NFL is king for many other reasons. The NBA switching champs every year wouldn?t flip that. But fans of small market teams want that to happen so they additionally want to believe this argument as well. But it is objectively untrue
    How could you possibly know this? Your sample size would have to be incredibly small to come to this conclusion.

I think the better argument you could make is that parity in the NBA is much more difficult to achieve because there are only 5 players on the court. Thus, differences in talent are magnified x100 vs the NFL. But in no way could you know that parity is worse for the league than no parity because there simply hasn't been parity in the league for a long enough time period to actual engage fan bases in a material way.

Quote Originally Posted by heybigmatt View Post
    How could you possibly know this? Your sample size would have to be incredibly small to come to this conclusion.

I think the better argument you could make is that parity in the NBA is much more difficult to achieve because there are only 5 players on the court. Thus, differences in talent are magnified x100 vs the NFL. But in no way could you know that parity is worse for the league than no parity because there simply hasn't been parity in the league for a long enough time period to actual engage fan bases in a material way.
    Parity is difficult as well when teams with wealthy owners can simply pay to circumvent the salary cap.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Parity is difficult as well when teams with wealthy owners can simply pay to circumvent the salary cap.
    I mean, yes, they can pay to circumvent the salary cap. But only for players they brought up through their system. They can't just go paying tons of money to get other teams players. My opinion is that not penalizing teams for building a good team over time is a good thing.

You are thinking of a change in the current landscape and not projecting all the other changes that would happen.

Lets look at this draft. Chet, Jabari, Paolo etc would come out and all the Lakers would have is the mini MLE. Same with Heat, etc

Meanwhile, small market teams would have cleared their decks and be offering them big contracts. They wouldnt go to big markets
    It doesn't matter if they go to the big markets or not. My point is that they WON'T be going to New Orleans, OKC or any number of other small markets if they have the option to go somewhere else.

And using this year's landscape doesn't work. If your no draft world actually existed, at least one or two big markets would manage their payroll accordingly and would be in position to offer big contracts to whatever guys are at the top of the draft. It obviously wouldn't be the Warriors, Clippers and whoever else is in position to win a title as they would be capped out but someone like New York or Houston, instead of wasting cap space on Randle or Christian Wood, would be saving it for Chet or Jabari. The point remains. They wouldn't be going to New Orleans.

Again, the draft is fun. This thread wouldn't have 28 pages if it wasn't. It keeps New Orleans in the game which is a good thing.

This argument is often made but the pure data tells another story. The league has most interest and ratings when dynasties rule, not parity

NFL is king for many other reasons. The NBA switching champs every year wouldn?t flip that. But fans of small market teams want that to happen so they additionally want to believe this argument as well. But it is objectively untrue
    I think the majority of basketball fans want parity by a pretty big margin (but they're watching anyway), dynasties bring in the casuals.

I think when you talk about ratings this applies to all sports, not just basketball.

So EVERY year, there would be a large market team to offer an unlimited slot? And they also have all the superstars in the other large market teams?

I want you to really think about that logically and do that math before I waste my time typing out all the reasons that is wrong.

Think outside the box of what your norms are. It helps stretch you as a person. Way more fun too
    @mcnamara247

I have laid it out for some very high people in the league and none have said "no sense"

We all agree the players union would never go for it, but that it is an extremely logical way to go about the structure. It pays the true needle movers their real worth. Lebron should be making 150 mil a year in his prime. If also reduces the number of 15-20 mil players and even the 10 mil players that dont REALLY move the needle. Similar to movies. Tom Cruise and the 4th lead dont make close to the same money. Cruise max 10x what Ving Raymes does and he should. Lebron should make 10x what Talen Horton Tucker makes. Not 3x.
    You have to go back to the lockout of '98 to understand why max salaries came into existence. Like yourself, I've been proposing these cba changes to BOG since the 90's. I came up with the concept of max salaries because of the KG situation. At the time, his 6 year/$126 million was seen as ridiculous and the owners predictably opted out of the cba. While everyone was saying that a hard cap was necessary, I wasn't down with it because it penalizes teams who draft well. If your owner is willing to pay for your own draft picks when they hit free agency then he should be allowed to do so but not to the point where it bankrupts your team.

So the logical next step was max salaries. Go over the cap but only up to a certain point that would be financially feasible to small markets. The max salary worked very well for a long time.

Now I get the argument that it needs to be extended and limited to one guy but again, it has to be something realistic. The Lakers may be able to afford to pay Lebron $150 million per year but Gayle Benson can't. Find a number that works for her and other small market owners and there may be a compromise.

Personally, I say franchise tag and when I say franchise tag, I mean FRANCHISE tag. Force a guy to stick with one team for his career then you need to give him a % of the franchise. If he's that important, these owners won't have a problem giving up 2-4%, depending on the size of the market.

So EVERY year, there would be a large market team to offer an unlimited slot? And they also have all the superstars in the other large market teams?

I want you to really think about that logically and do that math before I waste my time typing out all the reasons that is wrong.

Think outside the box of what your norms are. It helps stretch you as a person. Way more fun too
    Maybe not EVERY year but if teams can create cap space even in seasons when there isn't a large free agent crop then they surely can do it for draft picks.

Again, there isn't just one big or two big market teams. There is a chunk of about 10 franchises who are head and shoulders above New Orleans and other small markets. Some won't have cap space but some that are considered more logical destinations than New Orleans, will have it.

CP3 wanted to play in Atlanta or Charlotte. The Hornets had cap space but so did those two. They were all really bad. No draft means no CP3 for the Hornets.

AD wanted Charlotte to get the #1 pick. They had cap space as well. No draft and no AD.

I won't waste my time with Zion.

Every negative you guys will think of, I have thought of and discussed that and more. Is it perfect, no. But you guys are missing the actual biggest negative and unintentional consequence — it really makes trades a lot harder for several reasons.

But the “draft is fun” argument is a bad one. Because you know what’s even more fun? An off-season with a free agency that includes ALL these guys and the hope for all 30 fan bases to know that any and all of these guys are at least possible, as opposed to only 2 or 3 thinking Chet is a possibility. Fan bases without draft picks having no interest right now as opposed to them wondering “you think we can get Ty Ty for 4/20?!?”

With new ideas, it’s so easy to just say NO, that’s stupid. Any person at any IQ level can do that. The smart people might feel that instinctively but then their next step is to ask questions to see where you can find some value in it. And then maybe you take away 2 percent of the idea and apply it to a better idea. Maybe 70 percent. But no, that’s dumb, the way things are is right is almost never correct in my experience

Also those guys didn?t want elsewhere because of the market. The franchise was a joke in both instances. New Orleans is the same
    Market today, right? Being run well with a good culture and now guys wanna come. It?s the bad FRANCHISE guys want to avoid. See: Jaden Ivey and Sacto

You guys gotta get out of this whoa is me mentality that it?s hopeless being in a small market. Bigger reasons those guys left was because of the cheapness of Shinm and the instability of coaches/FOs after that. Watch how many guys leave NOLA or Memphis if they maintain current culture. Very few. Heck, Hart was basically crying when he had to go!
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 06-17-2022 at 12:09 PM.

Every negative you guys will think of, I have thought of and discussed that and more. Is it perfect, no. But you guys are missing the actual biggest negative and unintentional consequence — it really makes trades a lot harder for several reasons.

But the “draft is fun” argument is a bad one. Because you know what’s even more fun? An off-season with a free agency that includes ALL these guys and the hope for all 30 fan bases to know that any and all of these guys are at least possible, as opposed to only 2 or 3 thinking Chet is a possibility. Fan bases without draft picks having no interest right now as opposed to them wondering “you think we can get Ty Ty for 4/20?!?”

With new ideas, it’s so easy to just say NO, that’s stupid. Any person at any IQ level can do that. The smart people might feel that instinctively but then their next step is to ask questions to see where you can find some value in it. And then maybe you take away 2 percent of the idea and apply it to a better idea. Maybe 70 percent. But no, that’s dumb, the way things are is right is almost never correct in my experience
    Again, you don't need to tell me to think outside the box. I've been proposing this stuff since the 90's. I've contributed to Larry Coon's FAQ and the realgm trade checker as well when they didn't have it programmed to calculate poison pills. I understand the business of the NBA as well as anyone. There's things you say NO to and things that you keep on the table because they make sense.

Again, draft content gets more hits than anything on NBA blogs, social media platforms and websites. It's one of many reasons that ESPN Insider got it's start when it first got the idea of charging for content. Try to get free draft content on ESPN. It's tough to do because it's all on a pay for basis.

Sure, it would be fun to have rookie free agency if these guys really considered New Orleans as an option. But when you're literally at the bottom of the league or at least in the bottom 5, all it takes is 1 to 5 other teams with the same or close to amount of cap space in order to be the more logical or desired destination of said rookie/free agent.

If there was no draft, New Orleans would be a top 6-8 destination right now for all these 19 year olds. Yeah, I said it. Pels would get MULTIPLE top 15 guys IMO. Kings would maybe get the 34h ranked prospect. Maybe. Several guys would be lining up for the minutes, opportunity and money in Houston and OKC. This idea that they would go to big markets (of which there are really only 3-4 glamour cities to NBA players) is just not true

But it’s a moot argument. No way to prove it.

Also those guys didn?t want elsewhere because of the market. The franchise was a joke in both instances. New Orleans is the same
    Market today, right? Being run well with a good culture and now guys wanna come. It?s the bad FRANCHISE guys want to avoid. See: Jaden Ivey and Sacto

You guys gotta get out of this whoa is me mentality that it?s hopeless being in a small market. Bigger reasons those guys left was because of the cheapness of Shinm and the instability of coaches/FOs after that. Watch how many guys leave NOLA or Memphis if they maintain current culture. Very few. Heck, Hart was basically crying when he had to go!
    It wasn't too long ago that the Pels were a complete dumpster fire as an org, and I got the impression you thought that was never likely to change

The disconnect is you are assuming a 19 yr old has the same priorities as a 28 yr old. The 19 year old is gonna value most guaranteed money because they haven’t made their 200 mil yet and most minutes because that will get them the most stats to get that 2nd contract

They wouldn’t be trying to force their way to the Clippers to be the 9th man, playing for the min. Your Thinking of how this would play out is just so wrong

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    It wasn't too long ago that the Pels were a complete dumpster fire as an org, and I got the impression you thought that was never likely to change
    No. Said they would never win a title. Still say that. But when you have an owner who bought an asset for 200
    Mil that’s now worth 2+ billion, they all of a sudden feel more comfortable sinking real money and resources into it

If there was no draft, New Orleans would be a top 6-8 destination right now for all these 19 year olds. Yeah, I said it. Pels would get MULTIPLE top 15 guys IMO. Kings would maybe get the 34h ranked prospect. Maybe. Several guys would be lining up for the minutes, opportunity and money in Houston and OKC. This idea that they would go to big markets (of which there are really only 3-4 glamour cities to NBA players) is just not true

But it’s a moot argument. No way to prove it.
    This is why it's still so wild to me that Haliburton forced his way to Sac Town, for lack of a better term

I don't know how the Sacramento die hards keep on keeping on. Only way to save that franchise is a complete overhaul from the top

We’re getting a little off topic here. MM is saying there are only so many slots available, and if there’s 1 slot per team and there are let’s say 8 power house mega market teams, that’s only 8 slots, which teams aren’t gonna use on a questionable rookie most of the time. Ok back to draft talk please

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Elaborate please
    He wouldn't even sniff a 4/48 contract

Shamit said on twitter that we havent worked out either of Sharpe or Mathurin. Not a huge deal but noteworthy
    Welcome to be here

Quote Originally Posted by neitzelbaby12 View Post
    Shamit said on twitter that we havent worked out either of Sharpe or Mathurin. Not a huge deal but noteworthy
    Was just about to post. Guess Sharpe didn't make it here.

There is also a pic floating around of Griff, Trajon, and Willie having dinner with Sochan.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

I fully expect Sharpe to be there @ 8 and we whiff on him

If what Shamit says is true, I wonder what happened. Does he not want to come to NOLA?

If what Shamit says is true, I wonder what happened. Does he not want to come to NOLA?
    I personally love Sochan as I think he fits what we trying build tram and culture wise. I just wish we could trade hack and get him. If we get him at 8 I won't be too upset as I think he really helps this team.

Shamit said we HAVEN'T... not that we won't. We will next week.

Thread Information