Pelicans Report

Page 27 of 59 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 37 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 NBA Draft Lottery

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Is Haliburton a diva? He and MANY others who are definitely not divas impacted where they went. Labeling every guy who tries to get himself in the best position for him a diva is too broad a stroke

You are just used to this system, where a young man has no choice for his first job. But think of it anywhere else. You graduate law school and you dont pick your job, you are told where you will go. And maybe it is a terrible fit for your development. Too bad - you dont have a choice.

The draft should be done away with, but that is a topic for another day. Labeling every guy who crosses off a few teams that are a bad fit a diva is a bad call IMO. Heck, HERB did it too. Several teams at the end of the first, he declined to work out for. Wanted New Orleans or one or two others. He a diva?
    No, the draft should not be done away with it. Whatever shot a team like Milwaukee, San Antonio, Portland, Sacramento and of course, New Orleans, has at being a champion or just plain competitive team, goes right out the window. We never even get CP, AD or Zion in the first place if there's no draft.

The draft is fun. The fact that we have this 27 page or whatever thread is proof of that. The amount of players who just want to celebrate their dream come true with their family in the green room far outweigh the few who whine and complain about where they land in the draft.

That being said, your assessment about the common fan complaining about divas on draft day is correct and it spills over into all elements of the NBA. This board used to complain about their being no hard cap and hated guaranteed salaries but failed to realize that restricted free agency and the rookie cap are two of the best things, along with a 5 year limit on those guaranteed contracts, for a market like New Orleans.

FWIW, for those who still want no guaranteed contracts, big market teams could just waive all their players in any given year, get down to a $0 payroll and just keep building superteams all in one fell swoop. Guaranteed contracts work very well when you limit contracts to 5 years and 4 for FA's switching teams.
    Last edited by Century City; 06-16-2022 at 12:48 PM.

Sounds like OKC and Portland is trying to set up a trade where Lu Dort will go to Portland and OKC jumps us to get pick 7 to grab likely Sharpe. They are about to have Sharpe and Holmgren....nice. Daniels or Maturhin (likely Mathurin) will probably be a Pelican now.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Sounds like OKC and Portland is trying to set up a trade where Lu Dort will go to Portland and OKC jumps us to get pick 7 to grab likely Sharpe. They are about to have Sharpe and Holmgren....nice. Daniels or Maturhin (likely Mathurin) will probably be a Pelican now.
    I hope to God that Portland gets more than Dort. Maybe OKC's #12 gets thrown in? Dort and 12 for 7 sounds about right to me.

I pray that some how Ivey publicly saying he doesn’t wanna go to the Kings pushes him or Murray to us at 8

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    I pray that some how Ivey publicly saying he doesn’t wanna go to the Kings pushes him or Murray to us at 8
    I could see Murray but I don't see Ivey getting past Detroit at 5. Although the Pacers don't need perimeter players, a Purdue product could be intriguing to ownership as well. Attendance is in the dumps.

Seems like Ivey and Murray will go 4 and 5, in some order. If OKC trades up to 7, it's for Sharpe. Then who would Pacers take at 6... one of Daniels or Mathurin, leaving one of them to fall to us. One more week to go, fellas and ladies!

Well if you make me give you an answer right now if Daniels and Mathurin are both there we go Daniels, if Daniels is gone and it’s between Mathurin, sharpe and griffin we go Mathurin

Quote Originally Posted by Century City View Post
    I hope to God that Portland gets more than Dort. Maybe OKC's #12 gets thrown in? Dort and 12 for 7 sounds about right to me.
    My apologies I forgot to put that #12 was also included.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    My apologies I forgot to put that #12 was also included.
    Ahh ok, that makes sense for both teams then. Portland was hoping to get into the top 4. By falling to 7, they probably think that they can get the same target fit for their team at 12 that they could get at 7. Eason, Sochan and Dieng could possibly all be on the board at 12 or at least 2 of the 3. All would be good fits in Portland.

Quote Originally Posted by Century City View Post
    No, the draft should not be done away with it. Whatever shot a team like Milwaukee, San Antonio, Portland, Sacramento and of course, New Orleans, has at being a champion or just plain competitive team, goes right out the window. We never even get CP, AD or Zion in the first place if there's no draft.

The draft is fun. The fact that we have this 27 page or whatever thread is proof of that. The amount of players who just want to celebrate their dream come true with their family in the green room far outweigh the few who whine and complain about where they land in the draft.

That being said, your assessment about the common fan complaining about divas on draft day is correct and it spills over into all elements of the NBA. This board used to complain about their being no hard cap and hated guaranteed salaries but failed to realize that restricted free agency and the rookie cap are two of the best things, along with a 5 year limit on those guaranteed contracts, for a market like New Orleans.

FWIW, for those who still want no guaranteed contracts, big market teams could just waive all their players in any given year, get down to a $0 payroll and just keep building superteams all in one fell swoop. Guaranteed contracts work very well when you limit contracts to 5 years and 4 for FA's switching teams.
    You are thinking of a change in the current landscape and not projecting all the other changes that would happen.

Lets look at this draft. Chet, Jabari, Paolo etc would come out and all the Lakers would have is the mini MLE. Same with Heat, etc

Meanwhile, small market teams would have cleared their decks and be offering them big contracts. They wouldnt go to big markets
    @mcnamara247

A week to go. Latest intel:

They got back a lot of good intel on Mathurin from past coaches, players, people who have spent time with him
    Since my Jabari dream had died a long time ago.. Ben Mathurin is the guy that I hope we take. I just like his ability to get buckets and he's an ultra-competitor. Whatever deficiencies he has as a defender his make-up seems to be a guy that's willing to work to get better.

I doubt he'd be there at 8 but I'm hoping he is.

I'd "settle" for Daniels, Sharpe, Dieng, Sochan or Griffin.

So it begins.

You are thinking of a change in the current landscape and not projecting all the other changes that would happen.

Lets look at this draft. Chet, Jabari, Paolo etc would come out and all the Lakers would have is the mini MLE. Same with Heat, etc

Meanwhile, small market teams would have cleared their decks and be offering them big contracts. They wouldnt go to big markets
    It would be just like the Premier League which is pretty depressing for fans of any teams outside of the top 6. They would have to shorten the season dramatically in order to retain interest from smaller markets. Once your player gets good enough, he would just transfer to a larger market, except now theirs no draft pick compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    It would be just like the Premier League which is pretty depressing for fans of any teams outside of the top 6. They would have to shorten the season dramatically in order to retain interest from smaller markets. Once your player gets good enough, he would just transfer to a larger market, except now theirs no draft pick compensation.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but is there a cap in the Premier League?

Again, if Paolo Banchero's two options were:

2 years/11 mil from the Lakers and 4 years/100 from the Spurs, which one is he choosing?

And even if he picks the Lakers, now that mini MLE is gone and all they have to offer is the minimum. They getting Chet too?

Fans always think that is how it would go if there was no draft, and they are so wrong.

Well that’s not at all what I said. I was saying second contract. The smaller market teams would do the development for the larger market teams benefit, which I guess is similar to how things work now

Yeah, works that way regardless and now the player has no say. Which to me is weird. Normal to us because it’s how it has been in sports. But in almost no other profession do you turn pro and are told that you have to go work at X place. No choice

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post

So it begins.
    Offer the farm now and go get him.

Correct me if I am wrong, but is there a cap in the Premier League?

Again, if Paolo Banchero's two options were:

2 years/11 mil from the Lakers and 4 years/100 from the Spurs, which one is he choosing?

And even if he picks the Lakers, now that mini MLE is gone and all they have to offer is the minimum. They getting Chet too?

Fans always think that is how it would go if there was no draft, and they are so wrong.
    Big Market teams with money to burn would waste no time getting around this to be able to get Top 5-10 talent o the regular.
    Lakers miss out this year but so what, sign a bunch of one year deals this year & only have AD, THT, with money to burn on LeBron, a couple top 5-10 rookies, & ring chasers.
    Who knows, maybe even cheap Jeanie would waive/stretch Russ & give away THT to add Ivey.
    Also, if rookies are coming in with no rookie cap that effect on NBA free agents would be bad, can't see the NBAPA supporting this in a capped league.

Sorry MM, usually I can atleast see the merit in your ideas, but that one is terrible. Even ignoring the fact that players would naturally gravitate towards bigger markets, assuming they had the cap space ofcourse(you using the Lakers this one year as an example when they don't have space, doesn't erase the concern), think of what it would do to trades.

Now if your superstar player asks out of his small market via trade, all they can get are veterans? The entire off-season would be about as fun and interesting as the summer league.

So what if you had an Eric Gordon situation and you had no cap space to bring in the top rookies, but your team absolutely sucked because your top paid "stars" were always hurt or uninterested. You have no picks to trade to dump said players and you have no way to improve your team until they're gone. So one bad contract could sink a small market for half a decade. Basically good teams would be good and bad teams would be bad for much longer, without the opportunity to turn things around quickly. Think if how stale that would get, quickly.

Too many problems would arise from removing the draft and for what?

So, in this world, I would have:

50 mil cap
    No draft

One unlimited slot

I have gone through the whole plan before. It’s brilliant. Too tired to go over it now

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Offer the farm now and go get him.
    This, he’s my second favorite player in the draft.

MM what would it realistically take for us to get into the top 3

MM what would it realistically take for us to get into the top 3
    Ingram or Zion. Teams don’t trade out of tier 1.

Cavs wanted Ingram + 3 for Love and 10 last year

Ingram or Zion. Teams don’t trade out of tier 1.

Cavs wanted Ingram + 3 for Love and 10 last year
    Meh forget that, I’ll stay at 8, but having Chet with Zion would just be too amazing

Thread Information