Pelicans Report

Page 26 of 59 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 36 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 NBA Draft Lottery

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    I think one of the top 7 takes a shot on Sharpe so someone gets pushed to us, question is who. I realllllly hope it’s Murray
    He's stated several times that he believes the FO would first try to trade down, likely with OKC who loves Sharpe. If a trade down couldn't materialize, then we likely take Sharpe for ourselves. His ceiling is just too high pass on for someone like Griffin.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    I think one of the top 7 takes a shot on Sharpe so someone gets pushed to us, question is who. I realllllly hope it’s Murray
    That would be great, but it ain't happening. Murray ain't falling past Indy. I think Daniels or Mathurin are gonna be the pick. I'd say 85% it's one of those two.

A week to go. Latest intel:

Daniels is the guy with the most people who like him in our FO. Almost no dissenters, where they are split on other guys.

They got back a lot of good intel on Mathurin from past coaches, players, people who have spent time with him

They are preparing for those two to be gone and Sharpe to be there at 8. The thought is that the teams right before them can’t afford to miss so they are going to go a little safer. Pels are spending a lot of time digging into him and also feeling out what trades might look like if he is there. Griff needs to be convinced. He is the one most against going with Sharpe in the room. He values competitiveness and he hasn’t seen evidence that the kid is ultra competitive. It’s not the year off or his camp, etc. They fall in love with guys like BI, Alvarado, Herb, etc for a reason. They want alpha competitors and he doesn’t see that

If the other 7 are gone, I would say most likely is trade down, second most likely is to take Griffin or Dieng, and third most likely is to take and keep Sharpe.

Have had some talks with Kings, Pistons, and Pacers to see what a trade up might look like but they don’t seem to have a ton of interest in a trade down. Seemingly, the target would be Murray or Daniels.

All I got. This next week is when stuff really starts ramping up as far as 2nd visits, trade talk, etc. Should be fun
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy View Post
    It?s somewhat relevant though since Bogut?s comments about Mark Jackson?s tendency for a ?church in the locker room? as to why he?s getting passed over for HC jobs. I wouldn?t call it a non-issue, and certainly merits a conversation on this board (considering WG is a holy-roller himself).
    Mark Jackson gets passed over because he's a bigot

I'd be fairly disappointed if we drafted Dieng or Griffin over Sharpe, but I'd be happy if we got those guys after a trade back, so maybe that's a philosophy issue on my end.

I agree. I think you just take Sharpe, even if a good trade can’t be had that night.

Most of these guys won’t be able with the team in their 2nd contract, as I have said a million times. So they are just stocks and it’s a matter of when you trade them in (or dump them if they are bad)

It is so easy to see the path to making Sharpe a massively valuable trade chip. He was the #1 guy in his class. You take that guy and have him show flashes of brilliance and at least 5 of the 29 GMs will buy into superstar potential. Even if you don’t love him, take him and do that, knowing all along the goal is to trade him. But don’t pass on him just to take a guy who is safer. Play it safe in FA, even trades. The draft is the only place you can invest $10 and get a $100 return. Use it as such

RIP the Daniels dream

Sharpe was always my number two, so go gets him
    Last edited by AusPel; 06-16-2022 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    RIP the Daniels dream

Sharpe was always my number two, so go gets him
    I dont think its impossible by any means. If OKC trades into the top 7 and takes Sharpe, he can easily be there. A week to go. More happens in this week, with regard to shuffling boards, trades, etc, than the past 6 weeks combined

Good stuff! I think in years past I would be ok taking a flyer on Sharpe but this team is a lot closer to being in position to be highly competitive this year or next. Use the draft to enhance the team and not take a flyer on a boom or bust guy.

There is going to be a team that falls in love with Sharpe. If Griffin truly is not convinced, then I think he should/will do a better job of convincing other teams that Sharpe is the guy. If you can force a team to trade up ahead of you to grab Sharpe, then you guarantee yourself Murray, Daniels, or Mathurin

My realistic tier 1 is Sharpe and Daniels

Tier 2 is Sochan and Dieng

Not too high on Mathurin
    Last edited by AusPel; 06-16-2022 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanProf View Post
    Good stuff! I think in years past I would be ok taking a flyer on Sharpe but this team is a lot closer to being in position to be highly competitive this year or next. Use the draft to enhance the team and not take a flyer on a boom or bust guy.
    Totally disagree
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Wish there was some way for us to get Murray, preparing myself for AJ Griffin tbh since Dieng will likely go to 9th. Only way that doesn't happen is if Sharpe is the pick and Griff decides to keep him.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    If Sharpe is there you have to take him unless some team blows you away with an offer. Trading down to 12 + scraps instead of Sharpe would be a disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Totally disagree
    And I totally agree with you

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    And I totally agree with you
    Thirded

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Trade down guaranteed

"One early candidate to fall in the lottery: Shaedon Sharpe. After not playing at Kentucky, Sharpe has been said to underwhelm multiple teams in pre-draft workouts. His range may begin with the New Orleans Pelicans at No. 8, but Sharpe could also feasibly be the target for any team that trades with Portland for the No. 7 pick."

Pretty much exactly what I was saying above. If Mac's intel is correct, have to assume this is coming from Pels camp.

"But there has been increasing talk about Portland potentially targeting the seventh selection to Oklahoma City for No. 12 and a package that could include Lu Dort."

I don't think OKC would trade up to 7 for Mathurin or Daniels, but that's just me

Drafting Sharpe is like drafting a high schooler back in the day. There were way more busts than a KG, LeBron, or Dwight. I don't see anything in his game that screams superstar to take that kind of risk on him. Let some other team gamble that really needs to try and jumpstart their roster.

Drafting Sharpe is like drafting a high schooler back in the day. There were way more busts than a KG, LeBron, or Dwight. I don't see anything in his game that screams superstar to take that kind of risk on him. Let some other team gamble that really needs to try and jumpstart their roster.
    I don't think there's a single person on this board that has watched enough Shaedon Sharpe high school tape to say that his game does or doesn't scream superstar. It's a total unknown unless you've been in those buildings for his workouts and interviewed him personally

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    A week to go. Latest intel:

Daniels is the guy with the most people who like him in our FO. Almost no dissenters, where they are split on other guys.

They got back a lot of good intel on Mathurin from past coaches, players, people who have spent time with him

They are preparing for those two to be gone and Sharpe to be there at 8. The thought is that the teams right before them can?t afford to miss so they are going to go a little safer. Pels are spending a lot of time digging into him and also feeling out what trades might look like if he is there. Griff needs to be convinced. He is the one most against going with Sharpe in the room. He values competitiveness and he hasn?t seen evidence that the kid is ultra competitive. It?s not the year off or his camp, etc. They fall in love with guys like BI, Alvarado, Herb, etc for a reason. They want alpha competitors and he doesn?t see that

If the other 7 are gone, I would say most likely is trade down, second most likely is to take Griffin or Dieng, and third most likely is to take and keep Sharpe.

Have had some talks with Kings, Pistons, and Pacers to see what a trade up might look like but they don?t seem to have a ton of interest in a trade down. Seemingly, the target would be Murray or Daniels.

All I got. This next week is when stuff really starts ramping up as far as 2nd visits, trade talk, etc. Should be fun
    Very happy to hear Griffs questions about Sharpe being "ultra competitive".

It should definitely be a red flag. If you believe our culture can help with that, then you take him 10/10 times.

Agreed. KG, LeBron, Kobe, Dwight also impacted the floor on both ends whereas Sharpe hasn't.

If Dieng hits and becomes an all star, wouldn?t that outweigh taking sharpe and trading him?

Thread Information