Pelicans Report

Page 23 of 59 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 33 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 NBA Draft Lottery

Havent talked to him since Friday, but yeah, everyone on the inside knows the Pels would do a trade down if an overpay happened. And that might be one, again, if they can get Dieng who they really like.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    Heh. What concerns me more than the misses is how slow his jump shot is. When I watch Ignite games (ugh) he just seems to play so much slower than everyone else. And when I say slower, I don't really mean foot speed, I mean how deliberate his game is.

Which from what I understand is why he played for the Ignite, he knew that he wasn't playing NBA syle basketball in whatever Australian league he was playing in.

luka doncic is changing my views on slow foot speed. dude is molases and still goes wherever he wants

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    He isnt your typical play within the team euro. He is an iso scoring guard closer to a Lou Will or Crawford, Clarkson, etc.

A solid player who will be a rotation player in the NBA. Will get buckets. Stroke is pure off the dribble or spot up. Dont know how big of a need any of that is on this Pels team or in Willie's system, but OKC is one of the teams the Pels have spoken to with regard to feeling out what a trade down could look like. In the scenario where the top 7 are gone and Sharpe is there at 8, I still think it is more likely the Pels trade down than take Sharpe.

Would take way more than this guy to be worth it. They'd have to take back Graham too (which opens up the minutes for Micic that he wants). And move up in the 2nd round. And a future 1st.

Somthing like: 8, Graham, 41 for 12, Micic, 34, and that 2023 Washington pick that starts off lotto protected in 2023, but then goes to top 12, then top 10, then top 8 protected. Dont think they'd give up the Houston 2024 pick but that would be the ideal one to get
    They can keep 34, give us Dort instead, then take Temple off our hands as well. That's the best deal they're getting for Sharpe. And I think that's still a steal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Good to know that's a trade down option if Sharpe is the one left of the top 8. Mathurin at 5 and Ivey falling to 6 are some unique takes I haven't seen much elsewhere.
    Same. Mathurin @ 5 is a game changer

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    They can keep 34, give us Dort instead, then take Temple off our hands as well. That's the best deal they're getting for Sharpe. And I think that's still a steal.
    I think they would take more/better future picks over a current player - especially another one they’d have to pay soon. And if that means keeping Graham to get a better pick, I think they’d do that too

But I agree on Sharpe. If he is there at 8, I would treat the pick like I was picking 4th or 5th. And moving from 12 to 5 would cost a ton. I would negotiate like that and if they can’t meet that price, I just take Sharpe

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Same. Mathurin @ 5 is a game changer
    It’s all still up in the air. I think it could also go Chet-Paolo-Smith up top. Sacto could take Ivey. A whole bunch of permutations but those 5 (three bigs, Ivey, Murray) are gone. The question really is: which other two guys are going above us? I would say Sharpe is most likely, Daniels and Mathurin tied for next, Griffin and Duren slightly less chance than those two, Davis a dark horse and the least likely but Indy does have some interest

It’s all still up in the air. I think it could also go Chet-Paolo-Smith up top. Sacto could take Ivey. A whole bunch of permutations but those 5 (three bigs, Ivey, Murray) are gone. The question really is: which other two guys are going above us? I would say Sharpe is most likely, Daniels and Mathurin tied for next, Griffin and Duren slightly less chance than those two, Davis a dark horse and the least likely but Indy does have some interest
    Any info if the Pels are looking at Davis?

Seems to check a bunch of boxes for us:
    High character
    Hard worker
    Good BBIQ/ feel for the game
    Active defender
    Good around the basket, mid range, and FTs

Questions about his athleticism and 3 ball (maybe the latter will improve in a smaller role).

Re-watching some AJ Griffin tape. His gravity out beyond the 3 point line is insane, and he a legitimately good and active cutter. He gives me Harrison Barnes vibes

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Re-watching some AJ Griffin tape. His gravity out beyond the 3 point line is insane, and he a legitimately good and active cutter. He gives me Harrison Barnes vibes
    Harrison Barnes without the defense maybe. And how valuable would that player be?

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Harrison Barnes without the defense maybe. And how valuable would that player be?
    I’m not going to be too quick to judge his defense when half the guys in the lotto are bad defenders. I’d like to see him another year removed from the injuries and in a different defensive scheme than the one Duke ran which was horrid. But, that would still be a decently valuable player.

Been watching alot of Dieng lately. Dude is like a young BI it's very odd. If he becomes anything close to BI in his prime, what would 2 BIs and Zion in four years look like??? And Trey Murphy is getting taller and adding more muscle as well sheesh.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

I think Nic Batum or Chandler Parsons is a little more realistic for Dieng. Ingram was a downhill, attacking alpha at Duke. I like Dieng, but I dont see quite that skill set or mentality from him.

Chandler Parsons, pre injury, was a really nice piece that would compliment the current team incredibly well. Same with Batum. Still prefer Daniels because of his defensive feel, but wouldnt be upset at all with Dieng in a trade down

By the way, Wiggins is example 4 million and 26 of most guys outcome being dependent on where they play as opposed to who they are/their skill set. Sharpe goes to Sacramento and he wont get his shine until team 2 or 3, eight or nine years from now. He goes to the Pels or Spurs, and he will be an All Star by the end of his rookie contract and All NBA by year 5 or 6. Firm believer in that, still.

By the way, Wiggins is example 4 million and 26 of most guys outcome being dependent on where they play as opposed to who they are/their skill set. Sharpe goes to Sacramento and he wont get his shine until team 2 or 3, eight or nine years from now. He goes to the Pels or Spurs, and he will be an All Star by the end of his rookie contract and All NBA by year 5 or 6. Firm believer in that, still.
    Unfortunately Sharpe won't be here barring a miracle this week.

I never agreed with the 'he's just a shooter' crowd.

His floor is already pretty high because of his dad being a NBA coach, but if he ever got back some of his old athleticism he could be pretty crazy ceiling-wise.

Although his decrease in athleticism is confusing since he only had two knee sprains.

I really like Murray, Daniels and Mathurin (Ivey too but he will surely be gone) in regards to what they can bring to the team. If those three are not there at 8 I hope we can trade down because I feel everyone else will be a reach at 8. If we don't trade down and the aforementioned players are gone then I hope they draft Dieng and let him develop.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketfox View Post
    Although his decrease in athleticism is confusing since he only had two knee sprains.
    From what I've gathered through a LOT of listening to podcasts featuring people way smarter than me, it sounds like the decrease in athleticism was more due to missing offseason workout and conditioning programs as a result of the injuries. But, mainly, his functional athleticism was depleted by just a general lack of processing as a result of not being on the floor. You can't use your athleticism if you are a step slow processing, but that's what gives me a little bit of hope for his long term outlook. Apparently he's a terrific kid who will put in the work, and you can see the effort that he gives. The guy is always in a defensive stance, but the processing just isn't there right now. He gets beat on a lot of backdoor cuts, and he doesn't anticipate screens well at all. I actually thought he was a very good weakside help defender, though.

Dan Purcell, who is a former Pels exec, said on the Draft Deeper pod Saturday that it's no secret the Pels have interest in AJ Griffin. Could obviously be a smokescreen as I'm not sure what connections he still has in the org, but that's the reason I've been digging into Griffin

I mean, I told you that on this board two weeks ago. Am I not important enough to warrant digging into someone

Dan Purcell, who is a former Pels exec, said on the Draft Deeper pod Saturday that it's no secret the Pels have interest in AJ Griffin. Could obviously be a smokescreen as I'm not sure what connections he still has in the org, but that's the reason I've been digging into Griffin
    Former Pels exec, current undercover Pels smokescreen operator. Lol. Have we ever had draft leaks that turned out to be true, in the D. Griffin era? Even without inside intel, it's clear why pundits are linking Griffin to Pels: Duke connection, great 3pt shooter (Zion/Pels need shooting), NBA father, "good character" humble.

I just know if he is the pick at 8, there will be a lot of disappointed Pels fans those first few days. Might take a positive propaganda campaign to turn the tide of opinion of him, compared to the other top prospects.

I mean, I told you that on this board two weeks ago. Am I not important enough to warrant digging into someone
    Has to be on a podcast from a former 'exec' to be official inside info. Thems the rules

Lol I just came back to the board a week ago so I must have missed it

Has to be on a podcast from a former 'exec' to be official inside info. Thems the rules
    Don't know why that struck a nerve for you thats my bad

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Former Pels exec, current undercover Pels smokescreen operator. Lol. Have we ever had draft leaks that turned out to be true, in the D. Griffin era? Even without inside intel, it's clear why pundits are linking Griffin to Pels: Duke connection, great 3pt shooter (Zion/Pels need shooting), NBA father, "good character" humble.

I just know if he is the pick at 8, there will be a lot of disappointed Pels fans those first few days. Might take a positive propaganda campaign to turn the tide of opinion of him, compared to the other top prospects.
    If I remember correctly once we made the Jonas move last season prior to the draft a lot of people saying we were targeting Trey with that pick.

Personally I like Griffin, so I would be ok with the pick.

I'm just happy we are in such a good position (short term and into 5 years) - I can't believe I'm saying this but it would be hard for Langdon and Griffin to mess this up (unless they draft someone like Sharpe who I think we will be a bust or will take Wiggins type time frame to develop into a really good role player). I know some love Sharpe but I don't see it.

Thread Information