Pelicans Report

Page 17 of 59 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 NBA Draft Lottery

Still can't believe my Bookie has Mathurin at those odds. They have us 14 times more likely to pick Ivey at pick 8 than Mathurin. It almost feels like an error.
    Last edited by RUFshreve; 06-02-2022 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyquem View Post
    Man, the betting odds for the 8th pick are pretty crazy on MyBookie:

Sochan +5000
    Mathurin +3100
    D Daniels +620
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Just put $200 on Mathurin. Thanks for the info!
    Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Still can't believe my Bookie has Mathurin at those odds. They have us 14? more likely to pick Ivey at pick 8 than Mathurin. It almost feels like an error.
    Yeah, definitely feels like an oversight! Those odds make no sense.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Just thought I would squeeze this in somewhere.... I was in the Sharpe camp, but if not available, I find myself leaning more and more toward Johnny Davis....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    Just thought I would squeeze this in somewhere.... I was in the Sharpe camp, but if not available, I find myself leaning more and more toward Johnny Davis....
    Seems to be a pretty consistent theme in the draft for whatever reason that the wrong guys go 6-9 and the right guy goes 10-13. Davis just seems like he could be that guy to me but its hard to say whether the do everything role at Wisconsin is helping or hurting his draft stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyquem View Post
    Yeah, definitely feels like an oversight! Those odds make no sense.
    What's are Portland odds?

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    What's are Portland odds?
    They only have the odds for picks 1-4 and 8. Nothing for the rest of the lottery. Not sure why.

My philosophy has always been that only a small handful of guys will be the same player regardless of where they go. For mostly everyone, the situation they get drafted into effects how they turn out more than any single other factor. I have said for a decade that if Kawhi is drafted by the Kings, he probably never makes an All Star team, let alone becomes an MVP caliber player. I still think there is a universe where Derrick Williams because a quasi All Star. Where Jordan Poole is already out of the league, and so on and so forth.

I think the Pelicans offer a really unique opportunity for a guy taken in the top 10 pick, where he wont have to do too much and can have the game articficially slow down for himself early in his career because he can just focus on the basics. This would be my argument for Mathurin. I wouldnt love it if he went to Portland or Detroit and had to do multiple things, but if he goes to the Pels, Willie can hold him hostage on the bench, unless he goes all out on D. And then, because of the limited minutes, he could run non stop on offense for those 12-14 minutes, bending the defense with his constant movement.

Year 2, he runs that play JJ ran with Zion and the occassional pick and roll. Year 3, he has developed a mid range and attacks closeouts well. So on and so forth. I can get behind Mathurin. He shows several traits that can make him an all around player, if he works on them one at a time. Perfects one, moves on to the other. Where guys like him tend to fail is they go to bad teams and are asked to do too much early, develop bad habits and do several things at a 6 instead of getting a few up to a 9 or 10 first, and then go work on the next thing.

I think the same for Sharpe, who could easily bust if he goes to the wrong team and is asked to do too much after never playing against grown men or similar athletes. To me, teams like the Spurs and Heat and Raps are better drafters/talent finders necessarily. They just had rosters that allowed them to bring in guys and not do too much
    @mcnamara247

My philosophy has always been that only a small handful of guys will be the same player regardless of where they go. For mostly everyone, the situation they get drafted into effects how they turn out more than any single other factor. I have said for a decade that if Kawhi is drafted by the Kings, he probably never makes an All Star team, let alone becomes an MVP caliber player. I still think there is a universe where Derrick Williams because a quasi All Star. Where Jordan Poole is already out of the league, and so on and so forth.

I think the Pelicans offer a really unique opportunity for a guy taken in the top 10 pick, where he wont have to do too much and can have the game articficially slow down for himself early in his career because he can just focus on the basics. This would be my argument for Mathurin. I wouldnt love it if he went to Portland or Detroit and had to do multiple things, but if he goes to the Pels, Willie can hold him hostage on the bench, unless he goes all out on D. And then, because of the limited minutes, he could run non stop on offense for those 12-14 minutes, bending the defense with his constant movement.

Year 2, he runs that play JJ ran with Zion and the occassional pick and roll. Year 3, he has developed a mid range and attacks closeouts well. So on and so forth. I can get behind Mathurin. He shows several traits that can make him an all around player, if he works on them one at a time. Perfects one, moves on to the other. Where guys like him tend to fail is they go to bad teams and are asked to do too much early, develop bad habits and do several things at a 6 instead of getting a few up to a 9 or 10 first, and then go work on the next thing.

I think the same for Sharpe, who could easily bust if he goes to the wrong team and is asked to do too much after never playing against grown men or similar athletes. To me, teams like the Spurs and Heat and Raps are better drafters/talent finders necessarily. They just had rosters that allowed them to bring in guys and not do too much
    Great points Mac. I concur.

10/10 post.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar

I've been on the Mathurin train since the TCU game. Dude has that energy that I just love watching.

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    I've been on the Mathurin train since the TCU game. Dude has that energy that I just love watching.

Yea, it's kind of the polar opposite from Dyson who often looks like he's sleep walking during a game. Neither have the activity level of Sochan though.

The other thing that Mathurin has over Dyson is his quick release. Dyson's shot takes a while to get off. It also doesn't help that he really doesn't like to shoot the ball either.

If you're a Dyson fan I guess you could argue that Dyson's length makes up for it though.

Is Dieng being overlooked as a real option at 8? Seems like he can do everything Dyson can do, but is longer and more fluid:

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Is Dieng being overlooked as a real option at 8? Seems like he can do everything Dyson can do, but is longer and more fluid:

I wanted to draft Dieng at 8 before Daniels. I'm happy with either pick, including Sochan.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post

He isnt in their current top 8 but they have liked him for a while. Thing is - Spurs could take him at 9. I think his floor is 12. I am still a big fan of trading to 10 or 11 if Daniels is off the board. Sochan, Dieng, Mathurin - at least one, if not more, will be there

He isnt in their current top 8 but they have liked him for a while. Thing is - Spurs could take him at 9. I think his floor is 12. I am still a big fan of trading to 10 or 11 if Daniels is off the board. Sochan, Dieng, Mathurin - at least one, if not more, will be there
    But what's the realistic asset we could attain for moving down, that we would want?

Also, if you had to guess today, will Daniels be gone by pick 8?

You need a team to love someone. Thee is not draft trade chart. When Mavs loved Haliburton, they were willing to give up Brunson and a first to move up 8 or 9 spots

If Knicks love someone at 8, you can at least get the Mavs 2023 pick. Maybe a little more

If I had to bet today, I would bet Daniels goes 6 or 7. I think the only chance we really got of him being there at 8 is if Detroit goes Mathurin at 5. Then, I think Murray goes 6 and Sharpe goes 7. But if Detroit goes Murray, I think Sharpe and Daniels go 6 and 7 in some order.

But thats just a guess. Heck. Sacto could throw us all off and go with Murray at 4, and then maybe Mathurin goes 5, Ivey goes 6, and Sharpe goes 7.

Regardless, I think the top 7 is the 3 bigs, Ivey, Murray and two out of Daniels, Sharpe, and Mathurin. Then, Pels or whoever the Pels trade to take the other one thats left. I would be pretty surprised if those arent the top 8 guys off the board, in some order

You need a team to love someone. Thee is not draft trade chart. When Mavs loved Haliburton, they were willing to give up Brunson and a first to move up 8 or 9 spots

If Knicks love someone at 8, you can at least get the Mavs 2023 pick. Maybe a little more
    That Mavs pick doesn't move the needle for me at all. I'd need more than that to drop 3 spots.

If I had to bet today, I would bet Daniels goes 6 or 7. I think the only chance we really got of him being there at 8 is if Detroit goes Mathurin at 5. Then, I think Murray goes 6 and Sharpe goes 7. But if Detroit goes Murray, I think Sharpe and Daniels go 6 and 7 in some order.

But thats just a guess. Heck. Sacto could throw us all off and go with Murray at 4, and then maybe Mathurin goes 5, Ivey goes 6, and Sharpe goes 7.

Regardless, I think the top 7 is the 3 bigs, Ivey, Murray and two out of Daniels, Sharpe, and Mathurin. Then, Pels or whoever the Pels trade to take the other one thats left. I would be pretty surprised if those arent the top 8 guys off the board, in some order
    How confident are you that if Sharpe was the one left at 8, he would be the pick? Your post the other day made me worry they may pick someone like Griffin or Duren over Sharpe.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I keep seeing the Pelicans getting either Bennedict Mathurin, Johnny Davis, AJ Griffin, Shaedon Sharpe, Jeremy Sochan, or Dyson Daniels. I notice that each one has something people like and don't like. I couldn't imagine having to make that decision.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    How confident are you that if Sharpe was the one left at 8, he would be the pick? Your post the other day made me worry they may pick someone like Griffin or Duren over Sharpe.
    If the other 7 were gone, my bet would be they trade the pick and if they couldnt get value in the trade, I honestly dont know what they would do. It would be between taking Sharpe and Dieng, in all likelihood. But if Sharpe is there at 8, I think they'd get good trade offers.

New Dyson Daniels Film Session with Mike Schmitz. He comes across as well-spoken, aware, mature:

i would try to trade zion for 2 high picks and a player maybe with charlotte? 13 and 15 plus bridges? i think there are players around that who could slot in and be more of a secure option going forward.
    Last edited by goalhanger14; 06-07-2022 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by goalhanger14 View Post
    i would try to trade zion for 2 high picks and a player maybe with charlotte? 13 and 15 plus bridges? i think there are players around that who could slot in and be more of a secure option going forward.
    Do what now?

Thread Information