Pelicans Report

Page 15 of 59 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 NBA Draft Lottery

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    You can watch highlight videos of guys that will go undrafted and talk yourself into being hyped about them joining the Pels. That's the nature of highlight videos. Doesn't mean you should be okay using a mid-lottery pick on one of them.
    Exactly, now you're getting it.

This is about the worst news you could've possibly shared. 2 of the only projected lottery picks I adamantly don't want(along with the majority of the fanbase), are 2 of our 4 main targets? What is their reasoning behind targeting Duren and Griffin?

I'd much rather Sochan or even Johnny Davis. Sounds like our FO stop watching the playoffs after we were eliminated.
    Yea the fanbase would probably be confused and disappointed if Duren is the pick, especially if it's over Mathurin. On the flip side, you could envision Duren being some combination of Looney and Robert Williams, each top rotation players in the NBA Finals. So that type of player obviously still has some value in the NBA.

MM dropped this ********ty news on us and dipped. That wasn't cool Mac lol. At least can you let us know who we worked out so far and planned to workout? Filtering that on socia media is tedious.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Lol — I had to work a bit man! Any way, like I have been saying for a few weeks, I wouldn’t worry too much. Mathurin is by far most likely to be the pick. If not him, I would bet on Daniels. The only way I don’t see it being one of them is if they are both gone. But if one of them falls, then he is likely the pick. The only guy they might not pick is… Sharpe. Which is odd to me, but it is what it is
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Duren would fit a clear need on this (and every) team, and still only 18 and developing. Not sure he's as high-flying as Robert Williams, but he has a really strong core base and positioning.

If anyone would be frustrated about drafting Duren or Griffin, or any player -- Watch one of their highlight videos, and by the end you'll be hyped about their potential and fit on the team.

Jacked arbage man looks good against kids

I wouldn't even take him at 18

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Tell us how that's possibly good news? We taking a time machine back to 2002?
    Because I like him and your approval is not required.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Jacked arbage man looks good against kids

I wouldn't even take him at 18
    Isn't he a kid too?

You can watch highlight videos of guys that will go undrafted and talk yourself into being hyped about them joining the Pels. That's the nature of highlight videos. Doesn't mean you should be okay using a mid-lottery pick on one of them.
    Exactly, now you're getting it.

Yeah, every year this time I start getting tired of the endless videos that show nothing more than a prospect dribbling around barely moving guys with pads or paddles, and then dunking on a defenseless rim.. Lots of these vids are completely useless and show nothing. It'd be like a heavily edited compilation of Westbrook making 100 three pointers in a row... if you didn't know Russ's game, you might be tempted to think holy cow, this guy can really light it up from three point land!

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post

Isn't he a kid too?
    I've been talking sports with you on countless message boards for a decade now. I know you're a smart guy and I know you follow the sport. I'm not trying to talk ********, I'm genuinely asking you, aside for your affinity for athletic, jacked men, why would you want him to be the pick?

What does he do that gets this team closer to being a contender?

He was using sarcasm.
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Lol — I had to work a bit man! Any way, like I have been saying for a few weeks, I wouldn’t worry too much. Mathurin is by far most likely to be the pick. If not him, I would bet on Daniels. The only way I don’t see it being one of them is if they are both gone. But if one of them falls, then he is likely the pick. The only guy they might not pick is… Sharpe. Which is odd to me, but it is what it is
    It's actually not odd since there maybe possible red flags with Sharpe camp and they may have some current flashbacks to the whole Zion camp debacle. Also wasn't there rumors that Sharpe hasn't impressed in workouts and comes off immature?

I've been talking sports with you on countless message boards for a decade now. I know you're a smart guy and I know you follow the sport. I'm not trying to talk ********, I'm genuinely asking you, aside for your affinity for athletic, jacked men, why would you want him to be the pick?

Yeah this is wild Eman is actually high on Griffin. Eman the floor is yours bro *grabs popcorn*

He was using sarcasm.
    He wasn't. He's made it very clear year after year that he always likes big athletic guys that can jump and workout alot. My question is, how often do those guys actually pan out? How many of them play a big role in the playoffs? Even the best rim protectors in the league like Gobert and Ayton have had their roles limited in the playoffs. And we can't afford to use this lottery pick on someone who isn't gonna eventually be a difference maker in the playoffs. Duren has nothing to his game that makes him different from the 5-6 other jacked up rim protectors that come out every year and are out of the league in 3-4 years. He can't shoot, can't switch, can't create anything, can't guard the perimeter, nothing. He rebounds and protects the rim. You can find that for the vet minimum. Make it make sense.
    Last edited by RUFshreve; 05-31-2022 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Yeah this is wild Eman is actually high on Griffin. Eman the floor is yours bro *grabs popcorn*
    We're not talking about Griffin, we're talking about Duren. If it was Griffin, atleast you could point to the shooting and our need for it.

Lets flip it.....always

Who would Duren have to become (keep it realistic) for it to be a good pick? And/or what would Griff have to get for Jaxson to make it make sense too?

I will start. Imagine Griff has a deal lined up where he can send out Jax and Temple for Alec Burks. Now, you take Duren and he becomes Clint Capela, but a year faster. By year 2, he is playing 24 mpg, averaging 19 and 12 with 2 blocks per 36. Finishing everything around the rim, awesome help defender, on pace to be an NBA rebound leader one day.

Lets say you KNOW he becomes that....do you pick him? I would still be torn because you cant finish with that, but you can finish with CJ-BI-Herb-Trey-Zion any way and Duren could be there to keep bodies fresh during the game and season, and to deal with bigs for the first 40 mins of games.

I still couldnt do it if Daniels was on the board. Mathurin either. But Duren or Griffin..... I think I'd go Duren

Lets flip it.....always

Who would Duren have to become (keep it realistic) for it to be a good pick? And/or what would Griff have to get for Jaxson to make it make sense too?

I will start. Imagine Griff has a deal lined up where he can send out Jax and Temple for Alec Burks. Now, you take Duren and he becomes Clint Capela, but a year faster. By year 2, he is playing 24 mpg, averaging 19 and 12 with 2 blocks per 36. Finishing everything around the rim, awesome help defender, on pace to be an NBA rebound leader one day.

Lets say you KNOW he becomes that....do you pick him? I would still be torn because you cant finish with that, but you can finish with CJ-BI-Herb-Trey-Zion any way and Duren could be there to keep bodies fresh during the game and season, and to deal with bigs for the first 40 mins of games.

I still couldnt do it if Daniels was on the board. Mathurin either. But Duren or Griffin..... I think I'd go Duren
    Do you know why some in the FO are high on Griffin? Not expecting you to read minds, but just curious if his medicals are better than expected. I tried my hardest today to see a world where I would be happy with that pick and I just can't. Hell I would prefer Johnny Davis over him. And tbh I would be low-key bummed if we passed on Daniels for Mathurin. Not expecting that to happen since I'm expecting Daniels to go top 7 but stranger things have happened before.....

Man I wish we can get Keegan Murray someway.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post

Isn't he a kid too?
    Not in body size haha

He wasn't. He's made it very clear year after year that he always likes big athletic guys that can jump and workout alot. My question is, how often do those guys actually pan out? How many of them play a big role in the playoffs? Even the best rim protectors in the league like Gobert and Ayton have had their roles limited in the playoffs. And we can't afford to use this lottery pick on someone who isn't gonna eventually be a difference maker in the playoffs. Duren has nothing to his game that makes him different from the 5-6 other jacked up rim protectors that come out every year and are out of the league in 3-4 years. He can't shoot, can't switch, can't create anything, can't guard the perimeter, nothing. He rebounds and protects the rim. You can find that for the vet minimum. Make it make sense.
    Ah, I see. I assumed he said that in dry humor, against the Duren possibility. I agree with you, it's best to follow the ol' "Don't take bigs too high in the draft" philosophy. But if Pels do somehow take him, I'll find a way to see the upside in it.

Lets flip it.....always

That's a good depiction of his best case scenario for the Pels. It would be fun to have a young defensive anchor type to develop and hope he surprises with offensive leaps.

Sounds like neither Sochan, J. Davis, or Dieng are in contention for the #8 pick then, but maybe for trade down scenarios. So it's likely from: Daniels, Mathurin, Duren, Griffin being the main likely choices. *as of now, 3 weeks out from the draft.

If you guys are trying to sale yourself on AJ, this podcast does an ok job at it. I still have my concerns but curious to get you guys thoughts on their depiction of AJ Griffin

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1qS...urce=copy-link

Man, the betting odds for the 8th pick are pretty crazy on MyBookie:

Sochan +5000
    Mathurin +3100
    D Daniels +620

Mathurin's shaky handle

https://twitter.com/ProspectingNBA/s...oZ29habIQ&s=19

(Does mobile Twitter not let you get the embed tags?)
    Last edited by AusPel; 06-01-2022 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Mathurin's shaky handle

https://twitter.com/ProspectingNBA/s...oZ29habIQ&s=19

(Does mobile Twitter not let you get the embed tags?)
    He can improve his handle. TM3 can’t dribble either but both he and Mathurin can knock down jumpers and they both can finish at the rim. They can both work on their dribbles this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    He can improve his handle. TM3 can’t dribble either but both he and Mathurin can knock down jumpers and they both can finish at the rim. They can both work on their dribbles this summer.

Those clips reminded me of why I don't watch college basketball

Quote Originally Posted by Eyquem View Post
    Man, the betting odds for the 8th pick are pretty crazy on MyBookie:

Sochan +5000
    Mathurin +3100
    D Daniels +620
    Just put $200 on Mathurin. Thanks for the info!

I think its this simple

Top 4 guys will be gone. After that, Pels really like Murray, Mathurin, and Daniels

Question is: Who do they take if all 7 of those guys are gone? I would obviously say Sharpe. Sounds like they arent enamored. So, at that point I would hope for a slight trade down over taking Griffin or Duren. Sharpe should have someone who loves him if he falls that far

But I would bet on either Daniels or Mathurin being on the board at 8. It will be one of those two IMO

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar

I'm genuinely sorry for that. Having a really bad stretch of days. And I've been losing sleep for various reasons.

Basically, I'm of the thought that Hayes is old pizza in the fridge. Yeah, you can keep eating it. But its been like a week and I don't want it no more.

Duren is better pizza. Yeah, you start over, but he already does things in his game that Hayes always struggled with. Like defense against post play and he actually pursues rebounds. And sometimes, you just gotta go with your gut and make a bet. Like I'm betting that he'd be seen as a better prospect if Memphis had consistent point guard play to speak of.

Naturally I am not saying take the man at 8th. If the obvious choices aren't there and someone wants to move into our space, then we move back. Basically if Hayes is still gonna be here, we don't touch Duren.

Thread Information