Pelicans Report

Page 14 of 59 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 NBA Draft Lottery

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    While I'm not personally enamored with Griffin, I don't really understand the amount of vitriol being directed his way. Yes, he'd be drafted more on potential than what he's shown so far, but no one seems to mind that with Sharpe or some other prospects.

As for Mathurin, I've come down off of him a good bit the more I watch him. His defense is really meh, and sometimes just plain bad. I've noticed that he also has a tendancy to put his teamates in a bad spot to avoid looking bad himself. I mean nothing major, but just little nit picks that irritate me when I watch a lot of college athletes raised on aau ball (or whatever passes for aau up in Canada).
    Plus his handle is pretty trash. Basically Kira 2.0 in the regard where he can only dribble linearly without it getting stripped

If all of this is true it's gonna be a sad Draft day for me. I'm terrified of Griffin physical health but I guess his medicals are clearing things. Sigh. And double sigh on the Duren love.

Not expecting Daniels to be there for us at all so it's looking likely that it will be Mathurin, Griffin, Duren or Dieng
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Plus his handle is pretty trash. Basically Kira 2.0 in the regard where he can only dribble linearly without it getting stripped
    Sigh.

Portland, please take Duren!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    So it sounds like they aren?t getting much traction in trade up convos and that they are starting to lock in on guys at 8 and based on their intel on who is most likely to go top 7, Daniels, Mathurin, and AJ Griffin are the main three they are looking at if they stay at 8. Yes, Griffin. Some in the FO really like him.

Also open to slight trade downs where they could get one of those guys or Dieng or Branham, who they also like a lot. Anyway, that is the latest about three and a half weeks out. Curious how Griffin is performing in private workouts because several teams in the league really like him apparently.
    Thanks for the update. Didn't see Sochan listed, so I guess Pels have him rated in a lower tier than the ones you mentioned.

Anyone but Griffin please.

Please Griff

This forum is getting carried away with both the Griffin hate and the unconditional Dyson love.

Daniels doesn't have a quick first step, he isn't explosive, often flat footed, and isn't physical at all. He has good lateral movement, but if he can't fight through screens or handle NBA punishment it isn't going to do him much good.

Even with the injuries Griffin probably has a body more suited for the NBA style of play than Dyson does. If he gets back the athleticism he has in high school even moreso.

I'm not saying Griffin is better but to pretend that Daniels is that much better than Griffin is getting carried away. I'd easily say that Griffin's potential ceiling is higher than Dyson's.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Also?don?t cross of Duren

Ugh
    Oh cool. So some good news.

Quote Originally Posted by PleaseWinPels View Post
    Anyone but Griffin please.

Please Griff
    How much does the "Griffin" last name skew D. Griffin's bias to him?

Quote Originally Posted by Biasvasospasm View Post

Less okay with Duren. Haven't watched all that much Memphis, but an undersized unskilled player who can really only play 5 doesn't seem like a great use of resources this high in the draft. If Pels draft him, I'll be hoping he's Bam but am extremely skeptical.
    How is Duren undersized? 6'11" , 250 lbs. , 7'5" wingspan. Comparable to Ayton's measurements.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    How is Duren undersized? 6'11" , 250 lbs. , 7'5" wingspan. Comparable to Ayton's measurements.
    Where was he measured? He doesn't look 6'11" on the court. Looks 6'9". Looks way smaller than Ayton in terms of height. No arguing he's built, though. Just closer to the Onyeka Okonwu/Bam end of the spectrum in height just observationally than a true seven footer.

How much does the "Griffin" last name skew D. Griffin's bias to him?
    Same question I have. Gotta be at least 50%.

Ain't no way Duren is 6-11 with a 7-5 wingspan. If he was he wouldn't have chose not to measure at the combine. His stock would skyrocket if he's he would measure at that.

Same with Griffin who also chose not to measure...He's not 6-6 with a plus wingspan.
    Last edited by PleaseWinPels; 05-31-2022 at 03:37 PM.

These big centers are becoming dinosaurs. You can be the best shot blocker in the world, but it isn’t going to do you any good if you’re constantly having to chase perimeter shooters around the arc. Look at the two centers in the NBA finals, Draymond Green who can switch off and guard perimeter players and Al Horford who’s made a career out of steady inside play with the ability to knock down shots from the 3 point line.

Where was he measured? He doesn't look 6'11" on the court. Looks 6'9". Looks way smaller than Ayton in terms of height. No arguing he's built, though. Just closer to the Onyeka Okonwu/Bam end of the spectrum in height just observationally than a true seven footer.
    Yea it looks like those were past, unofficial measurements. Thought he measured at the combine. He looks closer to Bam size than Ayton for sure, but really what's a few inches at that point. More about quickness and athleticism. He definitely wouldn't be atop most of our wish lists. But if we do draft him, we will find a way to hype up his strengths and potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    These big centers are becoming dinosaurs. You can be the best shot blocker in the world, but it isn’t going to do you any good if you’re constantly having to chase perimeter shooters around the arc. Look at the two centers in the NBA finals, Draymond Green who can switch off and guard perimeter players and Al Horford who’s made a career out of steady inside play with the ability to knock down shots from the 3 point line.
    Players who are vertically explosive, strong, and smart can definitely play center at a high level even if they aren't seven foot. Duren is definitely the first two. But there are some inherent limitations, you can't just stand straight up with your arms up and limit shot attempts like Rudy Gobert, which is a possibility for a guy like Mark Williams. It's true that in the playoffs, there are limits to what shot blocking can do.

From the little I've seen, I don't think Duren is a smart, two steps ahead defensive player like Horford or Green or even Adebayo. If it's going to work, think it will have to look more like young Dwight Howard. I don't think he's that nuclear of an athlete, though. Maybe more like Robert Williams, but I haven't seen enough of him to know if he moves that well on the perimeter (pre-meniscus, not the guy out there right now).

BleacherReport just released a new mock draft, with "intel" tidbits:
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-chet-holmgren

Sharpe dropping to 10?!

Teams watching old film of Shaedon Sharpe

The Pistons and others are going back to the AAU tape of Sharpe, who didn't play a minute this season. He looked good at his pro day, but teams acknowledge that his athleticism and shot-making were made for the one-on-none workout, and his agency did a good job of putting Sharpe in position to showcase his strengths. Talent alone right now has him in the mix for lottery teams, including Detroit at No. 5. However, despite an enticing mix of bounce and shooting skills, the film shows a player who struggles to create going north-south and relies heavily on low-percentage dribble jumpers. Limited confidence in Sharpe's feel or ability to make teammates better could lead to teams feeling more comfortable with prospects like Murray, Griffin, Davis and Mathurin.
    On Daniels, and Branham:
    Daniels surging into top-8 mix

Teams are under the impression that the Daniels buzz is real. His draft ceiling has been said to have risen into the Nos. 4-8 range after he measured like a wing (6'7?" in shoes), recorded the combine's fastest shuttle run, put on a convincing shooting clinic at his pro day and impressed in interviews. The fact that he's so versatile and interchangeable between positions 1-4 also eliminates fit concerns with most teams.

Branham's draft range now looking like Nos. 8-14

Daniels' name is hotter, but Branham's is also trending. Not everyone is convinced, but there is still a lot of interest in the freshman who's a year younger than Johnny Davis, measured longer and was more efficient from three, the mid-range and at the rim. Teams think that he can go as high as No. 8 and that he's a better bet to go in the lottery than be on the board at No. 15.

Players who are vertically explosive, strong, and smart can definitely play center at a high level even if they aren't seven foot. Duren is definitely the first two. But there are some inherent limitations, you can't just stand straight up with your arms up and limit shot attempts like Rudy Gobert, which is a possibility for a guy like Mark Williams. It's true that in the playoffs, there are limits to what shot blocking can do.

From the little I've seen, I don't think Duren is a smart, two steps ahead defensive player like Horford or Green or even Adebayo. If it's going to work, think it will have to look more like young Dwight Howard. I don't think he's that nuclear of an athlete, though. Maybe more like Robert Williams, but I haven't seen enough of him to know if he moves that well on the perimeter (pre-meniscus, not the guy out there right now).
    Duren would fit a clear need on this (and every) team, and still only 18 and developing. Not sure he's as high-flying as Robert Williams, but he has a really strong core base and positioning.

If anyone would be frustrated about drafting Duren or Griffin, or any player -- Watch one of their highlight videos, and by the end you'll be hyped about their potential and fit on the team.

The issue with Griffin, for me, is when his shot isn?t falling (or he is taking shots), what else is he doing? Defense, both on and off, is a negative. Doesn?t get to the line. Won?t rebound or get assists.

Preferring X guy over Y guy is not showering Y guy with vitriol. We talk about Griffin vs guys in the 15-20 range and the talk about him would be positive. It?s like if you debated Jabari Smith vs Tari Eason. You wouldn?t be hating on Eason. One guy is just better than the other. Same goes for Griffin when discussing prospects in the 6-10 range IMO
    I think we don't know what player he is. So that's where I'm at on that. He hasn't played a lot in the past handful of years.

Pre-injury Griffin was getting a lot of blocks/boards. Duke-Griffin was really really needed for spacing the floor and had a limited role and limited minutes.

He's also 18 so if someone tells you they know what kind of player he is, they don't really know. The injury risk is a bigger issue for me there than the other stuff.

Trading up to 5 was all I wanted...

Duren would fit a clear need on this (and every) team, and still only 18 and developing. Not sure he's as high-flying as Robert Williams, but he has a really strong core base and positioning.

If anyone would be frustrated about drafting Duren or Griffin, or any player -- Watch one of their highlight videos, and by the end you'll be hyped about their potential and fit on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Oh cool. So some good news.
    Tell us how that's possibly good news? We taking a time machine back to 2002?

So it sounds like they aren’t getting much traction in trade up convos and that they are starting to lock in on guys at 8 and based on their intel on who is most likely to go top 7, Daniels, Mathurin, and AJ Griffin are the main three they are looking at if they stay at 8. Yes, Griffin. Some in the FO really like him.

Also open to slight trade downs where they could get one of those guys or Dieng or Branham, who they also like a lot. Anyway, that is the latest about three and a half weeks out. Curious how Griffin is performing in private workouts because several teams in the league really like him apparently.
    This is about the worst news you could've possibly shared. 2 of the only projected lottery picks I adamantly don't want(along with the majority of the fanbase), are 2 of our 4 main targets? What is their reasoning behind targeting Duren and Griffin?

I'd much rather Sochan or even Johnny Davis. Sounds like our FO stop watching the playoffs after we were eliminated.

You can watch highlight videos of guys that will go undrafted and talk yourself into being hyped about them joining the Pels. That's the nature of highlight videos. Doesn't mean you should be okay using a mid-lottery pick on one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Tell us how that's possibly good news? We taking a time machine back to 2002?
    He was using sarcasm.

Thread Information