Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ousmane Dieng

Ousmane Dieng

As I have been telling you guys for weeks, get to know the name. He hasn?t been in any mock drafts this high but those things take a while to catch up. At this point Patrick Williams was between 13-20 in most mocks

That will be Dieng this year. There is a REAL chance Pels take him at 8. That is if another bold team like Detroit doesn?t take him first. Study him.
    You already know Mathurin and Griffin. Look at Dieng and be on the lookout for things you hear during this pre draft process, including him getting shut down because of a high guarantee?
    @mcnamara247

Pels really gettin' the next Giannas from this Lakers' pick

I wouldn’t be mad at all. He’s got a lot of bright spots and a high ceiling. Something about Sochan I can’t quit though. It’s like he plays UFC basketball

His defensive highlights are pretty impressive to say the least, IMO. I feel like Patrick Batemen looking at business cards right now.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    As I have been telling you guys for weeks, get to know the name. He hasn?t been in any mock drafts this high but those things take a while to catch up. At this point Patrick Williams was between 13-20 in most mocks

That will be Dieng this year. There is a REAL chance Pels take him at 8. That is if another bold team like Detroit doesn?t take him first. Study him.
    You already know Mathurin and Griffin. Look at Dieng and be on the lookout for things you hear during this pre draft process, including him getting shut down because of a high guarantee?
    You been in Shamit's ear?

The next Lamar Odom
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

What do you think his ceiling is?? I’m all in on him at 8.
    Last edited by Pelsfan504; 05-17-2022 at 10:19 PM.

The Franchise
    I’d love a trade down like how we got Trey last year. If he goes then Dyson or someone else good falls.

Yay, another wing that can't shoot from the arc.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    Yay, another wing that can't shoot from the arc.
    Another? Are you putting Dieng in the same level as Garrett Temple or Naji Marshall?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Another? Are you putting Dieng in the same level as Garrett Temple or Naji Marshall?
    Sure, keep surrounding Zion and BI with perimeter players that can't shoot.

Ousmane is a huge boom or bust pick that is much more likely to bust. We are a team trying to take it to the next level. We are not in the developmental, reach with yearly top 10 picks, phase that most on this board are accustomed to. Take a guy with clear NBA skills like Griffin, Mathurin, or Sochan. I know certain people on this board won’t recognize that the Pels are a 6th man shooter away from being a legit contender, but they are. Insert Griffin or Mathurin. Players like Daniels and Dieng won’t play for years on a team like the Pels. I know some will be disappointed, but the Pels won’t be tanking in the near future. Picking raw developmental players are fine for teams like OKC, ORL, IND, and HOU. In fact, I hope the Pacers pick Daniels or Dieng, so the Pels have their choice between Griffin and Mathurin.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 05-17-2022 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    Sure, keep surrounding Zion and BI with perimeter players that can't shoot.
    Last 5 games where he really played, he went 12-27 from 3. Took 5+ a game, made almost 2 and a half. To say he CANT shoot is a false statement. He also is still 18. You want a sure thing for next year, get an NBA vet. Will help you way more, even on a minimum salary, than a young kid. You draft in the top 10 for who the guys will be in 3, 4, 5 years. And for the next 10 years beyond that. To say that he wont be a good shooter then is very pre marture. His stroke looks awesome - high release and he keeps getting bigger

But no, he isnt a knock down shooter today. But that wont matter because the guy we take at 8 isnt playing next year any way

Curious about him beyond just highlights, watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiBIygLrNY

Curious about him beyond just highlights, watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiBIygLrNY
    MM what's your favorite trait about him on the court? Any NBA comps?

A large 6'6- 6'10 guards seems to be the new trend in the NBA . OKC and Toronto hit gold last year, let's hope the Pels are next.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    MM what's your favorite trait about him on the court? Any NBA comps?

A large 6'6- 6'10 guards seems to be the new trend in the NBA . OKC and Toronto hit gold last year, let's hope the Pels are next.
    For me, its always passing. When a guy sees the whole floor and sees a second ahead of what is happening, that screams IQ to me and I always value that because I dont think that can really jump 3 or 4 levels with coaching and practice. It will get better, obviously, with time but not by huge leaps and bounds. A low IQ player wont become super high IQ like a bad shooter can become a great one in time or a bad post up scorer can become a great one after a few summers. Watch this pass at the 3 minute mark. That is a guy who sees the whole court off the pick and roll (also, the ones at 3:25, 3:35, and 4:12)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lSZ27i284Q

I also like that he already has a one leg floater and an off the dribble jumper. Again, he was 18, playing professional ball and he should have struggled early on. But if he was the guy that he was the final 5-10 games for the whole season, I think people would be talking about him in the top 5 mix.

Season Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    You been in Shamit's ear?
    Or vice versa?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Ousmane is a huge boom or bust pick that is much more likely to bust. We are a team trying to take it to the next level. We are not in the developmental, reach with yearly top 10 picks, phase that most on this board are accustomed to. Take a guy with clear NBA skills like Griffin, Mathurin, or Sochan. I know certain people on this board won’t recognize that the Pels are a 6th man shooter away from being a legit contender, but they are. Insert Griffin or Mathurin. Players like Daniels and Dieng won’t play for years on a team like the Pels. I know some will be disappointed, but the Pels won’t be tanking in the near future. Picking raw developmental players are fine for teams like OKC, ORL, IND, and HOU. In fact, I hope the Pacers pick Daniels or Dieng, so the Pels have their choice between Griffin and Mathurin.
    Do you think Mathurin or Griffin would play soon either? There's not any rotation minutes as is, take the home run swing since we'll need another star in 3-5 years to be competing. CJ wont be the 3rd best player on a contender anymore. You take your Herbs and Treys between 15-40, go big time in the top 10. The thing that makes that Lakers trade a homerun deal is hitting on only one of the many picks. This is probably out best opportunity so take it
    Welcome to be here

Given the success of our rookie group from last year, I would think we may have the luxury of taking a player like Dieng so that he can develop and not have to bear too much pressure to contribute early.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Given the success of our rookie group from last year, I would think we may have the luxury of taking a player like Dieng so that he can develop and not have to bear too much pressure to contribute early.
    Agreed. My question is: can we trade down to a few spots (NY might be a willing trade partner) and still get him?
    February 11, 2024

"The Day...Pelicans Roost...DIED."

RIP Pelicans Roost

I like MM's example of 8 and DG for 11, Burks, and 2023 Mavs 1st. I would even do Kemba instead of Burks. It seems like top 6 is locked in with Chet, Jabari, Paolo, Ivey, Sharpe, Murray in some order. Personally I like Daniels, Sochan, Dieng, Mathurin (roughly in that order) so 1 or 2 of Davis, Duren, Griffin, or someone else to get taken 7-10.

Quote Originally Posted by neitzelbaby12 View Post
    I like MM's example of 8 and DG for 11, Burks, and 2023 Mavs 1st. I would even do Kemba instead of Burks. It seems like top 6 is locked in with Chet, Jabari, Paolo, Ivey, Sharpe, Murray in some order. Personally I like Daniels, Sochan, Dieng, Mathurin (roughly in that order) so 1 or 2 of Davis, Duren, Griffin, or someone else to get taken 7-10.
    I like that. Might prefer Quickley (15-20 minute guy), but the framework would work.

Quote Originally Posted by neitzelbaby12 View Post
    Do you think Mathurin or Griffin would play soon either? There's not any rotation minutes as is, take the home run swing since we'll need another star in 3-5 years to be competing. CJ wont be the 3rd best player on a contender anymore. You take your Herbs and Treys between 15-40, go big time in the top 10. The thing that makes that Lakers trade a homerun deal is hitting on only one of the many picks. This is probably out best opportunity so take it
    Yes, Griffin and Mathurin could and should take Graham’s minutes from day one because Devonte is a useless 6’ 1” inconsistent shooter who can’t drive, consistently facilitate, or play defense.

From the little I've seen of him, I don't really see it. He has great length, but I don't see him as an above average NBA athlete and while he has some embryonic P&R stuff and shooting flashes, he doesn't play with much force. He reminds me a little of Poku, probably a better handle and fewer WTF moments, but also probably less rim protection and the shooting doesn't look as pure. It's hard to imagine what he does on his first contract that gets him on the court on a competitive team. It's a valuable player archetype if it were to work, but from what I've seen I like the idea of the player better than the player.

Thread Information