Pelicans Report

Thread: Another Five Years Of Bally Sports

Pelicans Another Five Years Of Bally Sports

https://www.si.com/nba/pelicans/nba/...ports-sinclair

Well, maybe they'll figure out the streaming part of the app before the Pels win the title.

Wish they wouldn't have posted bad news on draft day. They could have released this tomorrow.

The way the different articles read, it seems like locals and people in the Gulf Coast will be able to watch the team and thats a plus. Obviously Bally isnt great but more fans being able to watch the games is a good thing
    Welcome to be here

Hall of Famer Contributor pjk481's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoCajun View Post
    https://www.si.com/nba/pelicans/nba/...ports-sinclair

Well, maybe they'll figure out the streaming part of the app before the Pels win the title.
    You will be able to stream Bally Sports+ without cable subscription. Pricing apparently will be about 19.99/month or 189.99 a year.

And Christian Clark's article on NOLA.com stated Pels had some protections in the 5 year deal to explore other options as tv landscape changes.

Might not be that bad if the add Stan to broadcast team. Stan was excellent in his broadcast work not coaching.

They need to include an extension on YoutubeTV

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    They need to include an extension on YoutubeTV
    Not happening. Wait for it. They want $30 bucks a month for streaming. I’ll just buy a ticket and go to game instead.

Sinclair stills owns them

https://youtube.com/watch?v=GvtNyOzGogc

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Not happening. Wait for it. They want $30 bucks a month for streaming. I’ll just buy a ticket and go to game instead.

Sinclair stills owns them

https://youtube.com/watch?v=GvtNyOzGogc
    Heck, last year you could have gotten in most games for less than half of that

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Heck, last year you could have gotten in most games for less than half of that
    Or $189.00 a year not including tax and service fees lol

https://awfulannouncing.com/local-ne...nch-plans.html

Would you trade 8 to get off of that Bally's contract? LMAO
    @mcnamara247

The baseball price for BallySports+ is $20.00 a month. Assuming that's what it is for basketball, with the season being 6 months long, it's $120. I got season tickets for the 1st time this upcoming season but would pay that easily if I didn't. I'm not going to let perfect be the enemy of good here

I don't understand this. I'm sorry. You are a small market with an exciting young team that is very easy to fall in love with, and you make it so your team can't be watched easily by the majority of the region. Of course, the hardcore fans will find a way to watch the game, through legal or extra-legal means. However, what about your casual that could become your next hardcore fan? You want people to be able to browse "whats on" and see your game, flip it on to check it out. You can't do that if you're hidden behind a $20/month subscription on a separate app. There's no way whatever Bally is paying above the next bidder is worth what they are going to lose in stunted growth of the fanbase.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    One of the many good things about living on the West Coast now is League Pass makes sense for me and I don't have to stay up late. It's been great to have no vested interest whatsoever in the outcome of the Pels local media deal!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    I don't understand this. I'm sorry. You are a small market with an exciting young team that is very easy to fall in love with, and you make it so your team can't be watched easily by the majority of the region. Of course, the hardcore fans will find a way to watch the game, through legal or extra-legal means. However, what about your casual that could become your next hardcore fan? You want people to be able to browse "whats on" and see your game, flip it on to check it out. You can't do that if you're hidden behind a $20/month subscription on a separate app. There's no way whatever Bally is paying above the next bidder is worth what they are going to lose in stunted growth of the fanbase.
    Maybe the Pelicans data shows them that the older casual fans in their market still mostly have cable.

Larry Nance is not a fan
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by neitzelbaby12 View Post
    The baseball price for BallySports+ is $20.00 a month. Assuming that's what it is for basketball, with the season being 6 months long, it's $120. I got season tickets for the 1st time this upcoming season but would pay that easily if I didn't. I'm not going to let perfect be the enemy of good here
    The awful announcing site article has hinted the price per month can be jacked up at any point. Just like ESPN+, Amazon, Hulu have done. Don’t get to comfy with it being $20.00 - $30.00 per month. Plus the streaming is not high quality.
    And it’s possible that the plan here is to get lots of subscribers first, then perhaps raise the price later; many streaming services have taken that approach.)
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 06-23-2022 at 03:54 PM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    This is a huge step back for the team.

Who is the next bidder? Was there a next bidder? Is there anyone in the NBA that doesn't broadcast games via a RSN or team-owned entity (YES, etc.)?

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Who is the next bidder? Was there a next bidder? Is there anyone in the NBA that doesn't broadcast games via a RSN or team-owned entity (YES, etc.)?
    There was rumor that NBC Sports was strongly considered. Of course every team has a regional sports network. They just don't all use Bally Sports. Bally is the entity that needs to be removed, given their model of locking people out.

There was rumor that NBC Sports was strongly considered. Of course every team has a regional sports network. They just don't all use Bally Sports. Bally is the entity that needs to be removed, given their model of locking people out.
    I agree. My daughter lives in Tampa and they cannot watch the local teams because Bally is not available on most providers.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Would you trade 8 to get off of that Bally's contract? LMAO
    You know what, I might, I would rather be able to watch the team than draft a 10th man.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

It's basically the business model of RSNs to lock people out, I don't think that's unique to Bally. They pay tons of money for rights fees and try to recoup that through subscriber fees...entities with subscribers (cable/satellite/streamers) have a vested interest in keeping fees low so there's always a give and take element there especially with a team with a small fanbase.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    It's basically the business model of RSNs to lock people out, I don't think that's unique to Bally. They pay tons of money for rights fees and try to recoup that through subscriber fees...entities with subscribers (cable/satellite/streamers) have a vested interest in keeping fees low so there's always a give and take element there especially with a team with a small fanbase.
    I don't buy that. The access was not an issue until recently. YouTubeTV and several other streaming providers carried Bally Sports up until Bally essentially cut them off. One by one, they've cut bait with streaming providers until now it's only one and their own offering. Not all RSNs do this. That part of it is purely Sinclair Broadcasting. Maybe there are other RSNs that do this as well, but it's certainly not a requirement. The Pelicans apparently elected to protect the TV money rather than try to provide for their fans, and I'd love to know more about what is going on behind the scenes.

This is a terrible move. Ugh. It was the one downside to YouTube TV. But still I didn't cave and give in to them just to watch the Pels.
    "..but there's Baron dribbling the ball for 20 seconds, hoisting bad 3s and single-handedly killing them in close games. It's like somebody shrunk Antoine Walker and gave him his own team."
    - Bill Simmons (2006)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
    - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Fine, after this draft and keeping 8 and Bally's,
    I will once again create some combo of going to games, illegal feeds, espn, tnt, $30 a month commitment to continue watching this team!
    I am fairly sure putting up with Bally's is going to be worth watching this team. I think?
    It was worth it having Cox Sports with Bob Licht and Gil McGregor in standard definition back in the day, it can't be worse than that, right ?

Thread Information