Pelicans Report

Page 9 of 59 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 NBA Draft Lottery

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Really surprised Mathurin isn't in that top 4. His intelligence, maturity, drive, etc are what make him so intriguing to me, outside of his bball skills.
    This class is super strong with regard to good, mature kids. Some are just higher than others. I have heard some whispers about Sharpe, Hardy, and one or two others, but for the most part, NBA FO's rave about the character of this class
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I will add -- Did your "eye test" come from full games watched or highlight (and lowlight) compilations on YouTube?

Because guys like Daniels, Haliburton, etc will never be exciting in the latter but you cant help but fall in love with them if you watch the former
    You got me intrigued, so I bit the bullet and watched some Ignite games. I think “fall in love” is a bit too strong a term. I will admit that I was impressed by his lateral movement. For a guy that tall, he’s really fluid in moving laterally and keeping in front of the guy he’s guarding. Even with fairly quick guys he usually stays close enough so his length bothers their shot. And he uses his length well, both on defense and on offense. He’s not afraid to meet people at the rim and contest their shots, and he does a pretty good job in posting up smaller guys. He also does a good job in changing speeds (even if he doesn’t have a real fast burst) and has some sneaky effective drives to the basket. He also has a fairly mature game, for example he’s pretty good at using either hand around the basket, is a decent passer and doesn’t make many bone head mistakes.

Now for the bad. He’s not explosive or “bouncy” at all. In fact there are a lot of plays where he really looks flat footed out there. And while he does a decent job at using his length for rebounds, he’s really not very physical. He also doesn’t have that third gear that a lot of NBA guys have. He’s not going to blow by you. He also has a tendency to be a little too passive out there. And while his shot at the combine looks pretty good, I don’t think he’s going to come into the league as a shooter, he just doesn’t have that mentality. His outside shot always seemed to be as the last resort. So if you’re looking for a guy to get you buckets coming off the bench, he’s not your guy. He’s also not an energy guy. In fact there are times when it almost looks like he’s sleep walking out there.
    Last edited by Freyfamilyreuni; 05-22-2022 at 11:30 PM.

Well, I fall in love. But admittedly, I like way different things than most. I love Billy Hoyle's game and despise Sidney Deane's game. Show me dunks or behind the back this or that and I will skip those clips. But show me the tiny things, the fundamental things and I salivate. There is a play in one of those games that is so mundane, but basically there is like 5 seconds left in the half and the opponent shoots, Daniels gets the rebound and in less than half a second, he kicks the ball ahead and his teammate gets a layup just as the clock expires. Tiny, little thing but like 99% of guys dont make that play or realize the situation or care to know the situation, etc.

I freaking love guys like that. Double crossover, step back 3 from 28 feet - yawn. Little connector plays or proper defensive rotations, full splouge.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Mathurin had a roller coaster of an upbringing. I posted a whole bunch of it a few pages back. So, I'm not surprised, because he had some red flags. He struggled being a team player as a kid and overconfident in his ability to a fault.
    Wow mind sharing the pg #? I must have missed this one
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Well, I fall in love. But admittedly, I like way different things than most. I love Billy Hoyle's game and despise Sidney Deane's game. Show me dunks or behind the back this or that and I will skip those clips. But show me the tiny things, the fundamental things and I salivate. There is a play in one of those games that is so mundane, but basically there is like 5 seconds left in the half and the opponent shoots, Daniels gets the rebound and in less than half a second, he kicks the ball ahead and his teammate gets a layup just as the clock expires. Tiny, little thing but like 99% of guys dont make that play or realize the situation or care to know the situation, etc.

I freaking love guys like that. Double crossover, step back 3 from 28 feet - yawn. Little connector plays or proper defensive rotations, full splouge.
    Its hard GD work finding a Billy Hoyle !
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

This class is super strong with regard to good, mature kids. Some are just higher than others. I have heard some whispers about Sharpe, Hardy, and one or two others, but for the most part, NBA FO's rave about the character of this class
    Tbh I got Jaxson Hayes vibes watching Sharpe interviews. They almost talk and stare the same lol

What's the vibe on Mo Bamba RFA status? Is he attainable without giving up a 1st?

What are the whispers regarding Sharpe? Immature?

He's younger than all the other guys, so wouldn't be surprising.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    What's the vibe on Mo Bamba RFA status? Is he attainable without giving up a 1st?
    Did you post this after watching Shamit's YouTube breakdown? Lol. Because I'm very intrigued at the prospect of Bamba here.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar

NAW is a classic example of someone who is obsessed with the step back pull up stuff. And doesn’t always make a solid entry pass.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Did you post this after watching Shamit's YouTube breakdown? Lol. Because I'm very intrigued at the prospect of Bamba here.
    I saw that the video but didn't watch it. I look up his metrics, age, and stats. I figured Magic was going to extend him. It's why I never thought of him as an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Wow mind sharing the pg #? I must have missed this one
    Mathurin seems like a lock for months to us. He's a nice prospect. Love the athleticism, energy, and plays very aggressive dog in him. Good at reading rebounds. Shooting stroke is phenomenal and so electric in the catch and shoot. He can really pull off some devastating cuts to the basket. Good vision in the paint.

The only downside if he doesn't reach the top of his potential. If he doesn't tighten up and develop his handles or develop moves or finesse. He's probably a good 3 and D wing. Which is still a good fit for us. Wish I could listen to some interviews, man.

intelligent and bilingual majoring in an education degree.

https://theathletic.com/3089515/2022...g-word-for-me/

Here is an article detailing his growth and development. A couple of small red flags, but all ended in positive growth in the end. May become a victim of over confidence.
    T

Stats on AJ Griffin
    99th %ile in the halfcourt (1.2 PPP)
    98th %ile for all offensive possessions (1.18 PPP)
    97th %ile on jumpers (1.27 PPP, 169 poss)
    96th %ile on 3s (1.34 PPP, 137 poss)
    95th %ile on CNS (1.37 PPP, 105 poss)
    95th %ile on OTD (1.13 PPP, 64 poss)
    93rd %ile on CNS unguarded (1.54 PPP, 43 poss)
    89th %ile on CNS guarded (1.24 PPP, 62 poss)
    88th %ile around the basket (1.37 PPP, 57poss)
    Low usage from Duke but very intriguing. He is on the list with a lot of other really good college shooters and has great touch.

I know he has had injury history but this pick is just kind of a 'freebie' anyway. If he stays healthy, seems like he could be a crazy good player one day.

From this article about his historic freshman shooting season.

Shamit has a YouTube channel now?

He appears getting interviewed on Sports channels

I'm assuming that's what Kinglio was referring to

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    He appears getting interviewed on Sports channels

I'm assuming that's what Kinglio was referring to
    Him and Mason are on BootKreweMedia now.

Thanks, Lio.

Him and Mason are on BootKreweMedia now.

Cant see how he goes that cheaply.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Cant see how he goes that cheaply.
    It's right in line with what similar players got.

It's right in line with what similar players got.
    Yeah but there are also other teams who can offer more than a DG dump and seconds.

Dallas will go hard after him. Might even offer a 1st in a sign and trade

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Yeah but there are also other teams who can offer more than a DG dump and seconds.
    Oh, I thought you meant contract wise. Not trade compensation. Yeah someone else will definitely offer more than that. I didn't realize Bamba was such a 3-point threat. A 5 that can rim protect and stretch the floor is exactly what we need and it's nice to have an option other than Myles Turner. I'd offer a Bucks first with top 10 protection. Assuming the salary was in line with what Shamit was suggesting.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    What happened to Rev. Jonathan Issac? Is he ever playing again? Does anyone want him to?

So, a lot of whispers that Sharpe is really trying to direct where he is gonna go, much like Haliburton two years ago. Looking for the right fit and staff more than anything. Will be curious to see if we are one of the teams he covets. Could fall to us if so. If he gets past 5, I doubt he will try to get to Indy and Portland seems to want someone a little less raw and unknown.

I still have him at 3 on my board. Traits like that come along once a half decade at the guard position. I see Ant but with better footwork and even more explosion. I would run the card up if he fell to 8, and honestly, I would give Indy or Detroit a pick just to ensure the Pels got him.

So, a lot of whispers that Sharpe is really trying to direct where he is gonna go, much like Haliburton two years ago. Looking for the right fit and staff more than anything. Will be curious to see if we are one of the teams he covets. Could fall to us if so. If he gets past 5, I doubt he will try to get to Indy and Portland seems to want someone a little less raw and unknown.

I still have him at 3 on my board. Traits like that come along once a half decade at the guard position. I see Ant but with better footwork and even more explosion. I would run the card up if he fell to 8, and honestly, I would give Indy or Detroit a pick just to ensure the Pels got him.
    You would probably at least have to deal with Portland. If he falls to 7th a bunch of other teams are going to be lighting up Portland’s phone looking to move up.

Thread Information