.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 59 of 59 FirstFirst ... 9 49 55 56 57 58 59
Results 1,451 to 1,466 of 1466

Thread: 2022 NBA Draft Lottery

  1. #1451
    Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    It’s funny to find out how risk averse our fan base is. So many people have locked into Sochan because they’ve convinced themselves of his ceiling if he hits offensively, but they really just love him because he’s solid defensively. Also, as a group, largely out on guys like Dieng and Sharpe. Interesting case study
    Not risk averse at all, just aware of value. I'm happy to take value plays - I was in favour of drafting Pokusevski, for example, and Jax, both of whom were big ''tools, flashes, measurements, lets see if they hit the ceiling'' plays. Hell, I'm even all-in on Griffin this year and for most people that's considered a risk as well.

    But if you don't believe Dieng's ceiling is super high (note; I don't think it is, and I think for him to even reach that ceiling on this team would require being a worse team as it would entail taking Zion and Ingram off-ball a lot) then it's not risk aversion, it's just betting on value.

    I'd be fine with Daniels at 8. I have preferences (Griffin, Duren) but I'd be fine with him. I just don't think Dieng at 8 is the best option there in terms of swinging for the home run.
    Basketball.

  2. #1452
    Hollygrove 4 Life DroopyDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Too far from Home
    Posts
    6,588
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    #SmokescreenSeason
    Bruh I'm like... are we really worried about the Pels leaking too much? Hell the more leaks the better... only they know what they're gonna do. Leak all the BS you want, and make the best decision for your team when you're on the clock.

    All of that is smoke to me... Complete nonsense.

  3. #1453
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dud View Post
    JMO...I consider Sochan's possible value to be a bit higher than it would normally be, because I think our D, especially at the 5...is our MAJOR weakness and MUST be addressed in the near future. IF...Sochan can't help at the 5, at least to some degree...his value drops substantially for me.
    I think Sochan is a future 5 based on his size, but I don?t think he?s athletically gifted enough to be a natural rim deterrent, so his IQ really is going to have to be elite. I worry about him as a 5 though if he?s not surrounded by at least decent POA defenders

  4. #1454
    Not trying to be snarky, but I feel betting on value and risk aversion are kind of similar for most people. Which guy has the best chance at providing value relative to where drafted = which player is the lowest risk of bombing, in most circumstances

  5. #1455
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    You are dismissing the possibility that his authentic self is not in congruence with the franchises desire to have sustainable success
    I have certainly factored the organic sustained success ramifications into the calculus and I'm hurt that you would insinuate otherwise.

  6. #1456
    Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    I think Sochan is a future 5 based on his size, but I don?t think he?s athletically gifted enough to be a natural rim deterrent, so his IQ really is going to have to be elite. I worry about him as a 5 though if he?s not surrounded by at least decent POA defenders
    Sadly, we agree that Sochan will never be a rim protector & that's his major shortcoming, assuming he can develope a decent offense, which I think he can. But, (seems like there's always a "but") I think the game is headed in a direction where "rim protection" is not as valuable as it once was...and will continue down this path even moreso over the near future.
    Last edited by The Dud; 06-23-2022 at 01:07 PM.

  7. #1457
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dud View Post
    Sadly, we agree that Sochan will never be a rim protector & that's his major shortcoming, assuming he can develope a decent offense, which I think he can. But, (seems like there's always a "but") I think the game is headed in a direction where "rim protection" is not as valuable as it once was...and will continue down this path even moreso over the near future.
    100% agree with all of this.

  8. #1458
    Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    I have certainly factored the organic sustained success ramifications into the calculus and I'm hurt that you would insinuate otherwise.
    Quite frankly this authentic discussion which emerged organically within the fabric of this message board comes down to one question. That, of course, being are you all the way in or all the way out?

  9. #1459
    Charter Member PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    22,658
    Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    It?s funny to find out how risk averse our fan base is. So many people have locked into Sochan because they?ve convinced themselves of his ceiling if he hits offensively, but they really just love him because he?s solid defensively. Also, as a group, largely out on guys like Dieng and Sharpe. Interesting case study
    I'm in on Mathurin or Daniels, with Sharpe being my pick if both gone. My risk-averseness (sure that is not a word) is what has me being OK with Daniels over Sharpe.

  10. #1460
    Just a little inside baseball that people in the Pels FO don't expect Daniels to be there at 8 tonight. Don't know if that's just them acting in an abundance of caution or if there has been further movement on the Daniels front

  11. #1461
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    3,008
    Say Daniels is gone. Sharpe and Dieng are available. Who do you think the Pels take? I think they'll go Dieng then.

  12. #1462
    Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Just a little inside baseball that people in the Pels FO don't expect Daniels to be there at 8 tonight. Don't know if that's just them acting in an abundance of caution or if there has been further movement on the Daniels front
    Correct, but they are starting to believe there is a small chance Murray is available.

    I would say there is a combined 50% chance that one of those guys is available at 8. Really starting to look like its Ivey at 4 and Mathurin at 5. Pacers could go Daniels, could go Murray, could go trade
    Blazers could go whoever the Pacers dont take, or Duren, or Sharpe or trade, in which case Sochen also becomes part of the equation

    Gonna be a crazy half hour for Pels fans. Gotta hope for some luck
    @mcnamara247

  13. #1463
    A scenario in which Murray and Daniels are there at 8 would be madness

  14. #1464
    The uncertainty enhances the draft experience

  15. #1465
    Charter Member PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    22,658
    Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    A scenario in which Murray and Daniels are there at 8 would be madness
    I would guess they would go Murray. Any feel?

  16. #1466
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I would guess they would go Murray. Any feel?
    No idea. I never asked about Murray because it never seemed possible

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •