Pelicans Report

Page 12 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 NBA Draft Lottery

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    There will be a player they love at 8. The question is, can they get a player they love at 11, or 12? Knowing the guys they love, I think it would be hard to go down much further than that, and get one. And saying that, there first course of action will be to try to trade up and I would expect to hear about them having calls with teams drafting higher than them in the next 2-3 weeks.

This is where we thank the Lakers again for being so terrible. A great opportunity, that honestly, this franchise shouldnt have right now.
    Did they interview anyone else in the top 6 outside of Sharpe and Murray?
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

They have already spent time with all those top 6 guys. Setting up visits now. Currently, haven’t been told point blank that any guys won’t visit (a lot of times, top 3 guys will only work out for a few teams but Pels are letting it be known they are interested in trading up). My guess is Chet gets promised so we don’t bring him in but we will go to one of his workouts. Everyone else is up in the air
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    In terms of entertainment value, Sochan would be the most unique and fun. Herb and Sochan could anchor a top-10 defense themselves, with Jose making big impact, and hopefully Murphy. Adding Sochan would complete the team-identity shift to being a hard-nose, intimidating defensive team.

Get teams frustrated on defense, then on the other end, they have Zion, Ingram, CJ, Jonas attacking on offense. Good luck, professional basketball league.
    Yea, I’ve been warming to that possibility as well. I think the success of a lineup like that is predicated on Herb’s continued growth in hitting open 3 point shots. Because Sochan’s shot is rough and we can’t afford to have two players on the floor that teams can comfortably play off of.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I know this draft isn't the deepest, but I like a lot of the options at 8 for us. From Daniels, Sochan, Mathurin, possibly Sharpe? I'm very encouraged.
    Last edited by kinglio21093; 05-26-2022 at 08:02 AM.

Rank your realistic top 4 of these in order:

1. Dyson Daniels
    2. Keegan Murray
    3. Jaden Ivey
    4. Shaedon Sharpe (probably not possible)

They have already spent time with all those top 6 guys. Setting up visits now. Currently, haven?t been told point blank that any guys won?t visit (a lot of times, top 3 guys will only work out for a few teams but Pels are letting it be known they are interested in trading up). My guess is Chet gets promised so we don?t bring him in but we will go to one of his workouts. Everyone else is up in the air
    So obviously it's a long-shot that Pels / Griff will trade up to the top-3, but what's a semi-realistic scenario and offer it would take?
    Magic, Thunder, Rockets - which is most likely to cash in on this top pick and play the Presti-esque long game with some mega draft pick package from the Pels? Or would it only be for one of the top-2 picks (Chet or Jabari)?

#8 + the rest of the Lakers' picks/swaps + the rest of the Bucks' picks/swaps. Would they have to include some swaps with their own future picks? Would the ORL or OKC demand Trey Murphy in the trade?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I think Pels can get up to 3 or 4 pretty easily, possibly even as high as number 2. Not sure if Magic are parting with that number 1 pick.

I think something like 8, Pels 2023 (plus Lakers swap rights), and Bucks 2027... Could get you to 4 from SAC. Would you be able to turn around and package number 4 plus Lakers 2024 to get to 2? I don't know. But Pels have a lot of draft capital if they want to spend it, and at some point you're running out of roster spots or you have guys that you hope you can trade to get more draft assets when you reach a roster/salary crunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    Yea, I’ve been warming to that possibility as well. I think the success of a lineup like that is predicated on Herb’s continued growth in hitting open 3 point shots. Because Sochan’s shot is rough and we can’t afford to have two players on the floor that teams can comfortably play off of.
    Yea, Herb would have to continue the progress on his 3 he already started. Yea Sochan's shot is rough, but so was Herb's in college. I see both of them improving with reps and Vinson tweaks in their shot where needed. Herb / Ingram/ Murphy/ Zion/ Sochan . If Z, BI and TM improve on defense, could be ultimate switch-e'rythang closing line-up. Pels' version of "The Death Line-Up." Someone could think of some cool original nickname for this Pels line-up if it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyHornetsWhy View Post
    Rank your realistic top 4 of these in order:

1. Dyson Daniels
    2. Keegan Murray
    3. Jaden Ivey
    4. Shaedon Sharpe (probably not possible)
    Sharpe
    Daniels
    Ivey
    Murray

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Yea, Herb would have to continue the progress on his 3 he already started. Yea Sochan's shot is rough, but so was Herb's in college. I see both of them improving with reps and Vinson tweaks in their shot where needed. Herb / Ingram/ Murphy/ Zion/ Sochan . If Z, BI and TM improve on defense, could be ultimate switch-e'rythang closing line-up. Pels' version of "The Death Line-Up." Someone could think of some cool original nickname for this Pels line-up if it happens.
    There is nothing really wrong with Sochan's release. Maybe a little slow, but that's it

He flicks his wrist hard, which is a sign of a good shooter

Note: I don't really enjoy Trey's jumper, but it's obviously pretty accurate
    Last edited by AusPel; 05-26-2022 at 01:50 PM.

I’m a giant Ivey fan, if he falls to 4-5 I’d really like to find a way to trade up for him, if not then I’m team Sharpe or Daniel’s at 8, or even move up for 1 of them honestly. I think long term we need a center, JV is getting older but the only one worth taking is Chet, I do love Durens old school throwback game but I want a stretch 5. Since there isn’t one give me one of these guards in a guard dominated league.

But in hindsight do we really need a 5? Or can Zion defend the position good enough to get by? Because if we Zion is used as our point guard of the future, all you really need for a a guard who can defend multiple spots, which Daniel’s would be great for.

Daniels
    Herb
    BI
    Murphy
    Zion

To close out games would be nice

Combine Scrimmage for those interested. Not many lottery guys here but entertaining nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    I’m a giant Ivey fan, if he falls to 4-5 I’d really like to find a way to trade up for him, if not then I’m team Sharpe or Daniel’s at 8, or even move up for 1 of them honestly. I think long term we need a center, JV is getting older but the only one worth taking is Chet, I do love Durens old school throwback game but I want a stretch 5. Since there isn’t one give me one of these guards in a guard dominated league.

But in hindsight do we really need a 5? Or can Zion defend the position good enough to get by? Because if we Zion is used as our point guard of the future, all you really need for a a guard who can defend multiple spots, which Daniel’s would be great for.

Daniels
    Herb
    BI
    Murphy
    Zion

I agree, and I would add Murray to that list too. He's not the sexiest player because of his age but the kid is all heart AND he has skill. He could easily be your closing 5 in a small ball lineup with Herb, Zion, Trey, and BI long term. Plenty of shooting, D, playmaking and rebounding.

Honestly, there is a clear top 7 for me (Big 3, Ivey, Sharpe, Murray, Daniels). But of course we have the 8th pick. If all 7 are gone, I look to trade with Washington or NY and pick up a little something. If they dont bite, I am debating between Mathurin and Sochan, and it would probably depend on the day who I pick. But thats why I would trade to 10 or 11 because likelihood is one of them would be there, and if not Dieng will be and I would be just as happy

Season Ticket Holder

Daniels
    Herb
    BI
    Murphy
    Zion

I think it is a lot to ask Zion to both be a point guard -AND- guard a 5 on the other end. He's gonna get tired real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Upper Decker View Post
    I think it is a lot to ask Zion to both be a point guard -AND- guard a 5 on the other end. He's gonna get tired real quick.
    This team will always have 2-3 playmakers on the court. It’s not like he would have to be a Luka or CP3 type where he is creating everything. I would say more like Tatum, where sometimes it is him, sometimes it is Brown, sometimes Smart or White, etc

Daniels
    Herb
    BI
    Murphy
    Zion

Don't look for too much point Zion if he's still with the team next year. Apparently BI isn't a fan.

Don't look for too much point Zion if he's still with the team next year. Apparently BI isn't a fan.
    A lot to unpack here. And, it may not be as apparent as you say... care to elaborate?

That's a big assumption. They will make it work. Like MM said, they will all share "point" playmaking / scoring roles. CJ, BI, Z, Jose some -- they will make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy View Post
    A lot to unpack here. And, it may not be as apparent as you say... care to elaborate?
    Ryan Rusillo had Anthony Daniels on his podcast about a month ago. Rusillo apparently had a lot of inside info on the Pelicans' issues with Zion and his camp. Rusillo pointedly asked Anthony Daniels about information that he heard that BI was not a fan of Van Gundy's point Zion offense. Long silence from Anthony Daniels. Rusillo remarked that his silence answered his question, and AD laughed.

Now that's not to say that Willie would abandon it totally. But BI basically took this team over last year. He also has a relationship with Willie that Zion doesn't. So if BI doesn't want to stand in a corner while Zion brings the ball up and goes into point Zion, then my guess is that Willie's not calling a lot of those plays. At least not while BI's on the court. They may go into it while BI is sitting, as a way to generate instant offense.

BI didn’t like point Zion, at top, holding the ball, etc

But this whole teams philosophy is .5. That won’t change for Zion

BI didn’t like point Zion, at top, holding the ball, etc

But this whole teams philosophy is .5. That won’t change for Zion
    To be honest, BI does that same think sometimes.

I just a have a feeling if we trade up it will be for Keegan Murray which tbh I would be happy with

Ryan Rusillo had Anthony Daniels on his podcast about a month ago. Rusillo apparently had a lot of inside info on the Pelicans' issues with Zion and his camp. Rusillo pointedly asked Anthony Daniels about information that he heard that BI was not a fan of Van Gundy's point Zion offense. Long silence from Anthony Daniels. Rusillo remarked that his silence answered his question, and AD laughed.

Now that's not to say that Willie would abandon it totally. But BI basically took this team over last year. He also has a relationship with Willie that Zion doesn't. So if BI doesn't want to stand in a corner while Zion brings the ball up and goes into point Zion, then my guess is that Willie's not calling a lot of those plays. At least not while BI's on the court. They may go into it while BI is sitting, as a way to generate instant offense.
    Antonio Daniels... but thanks for the intel.

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcas...=1000558779215

Here it is for those interested.

I just can't see Murray falling past Portland, so if that's the guy Griff really wants, I feel like he would have to trade up. I like Murray alot as a prospect, but I'm not sure if I'd wanna give up many assets to move up for him, considering I also really like some of the guards/wings who will be on the board at 8.

People rarely ever want to give up assets because at this time of their career, a lot of these guys seem to be on the same or a similar tier. But history says they won’t be.

JJJ, Mo, and Wendell Carter we’re all on a similar tier. Lillard, Waiters, and Rivers. Tatum and the guy who went 4th from Kansas (blanking on name) were interchangeably 3 and 4 on all mocks

History says that the outcomes will vary wildly. And this is where FOs gotta make their money. You gotta look at the same tier and identify the one that will outperform and go get him. Don’t sit and wait. I would go get my guy and for me it is Sharpe

Thread Information