Pelicans Report

Thread: 2022 NBA MOCK DRAFT

2022 NBA MOCK DRAFT

This was a tough one to do this year. Really a crap shoot from the mid lottery on. I know that some of these long shots won't happen but you never know. It will be a fun draft to say the least.

1. Orlando Magic-Jabari Smith/Auburn/PF

Should fit well next to Mo Bamba on the front line. Can stretch the floor and gives the Magic 2 long defenders for the interior.

2. Oklahoma City-Chet Holmgren/Gonzaga/C

Sam Presti gets his wish. OKC lacks quality bigs and often had to run forwards like Isaiah Roby and Jeremiah Robinson-Earl out there to play the 5 spot. Chet will need to bulk up but this is the perfect landing spot for him.

3. Houston Rockets-Paolo Banchero/Duke/PF

Another good fit. This roster is loaded with guards and wings who are under contract but lack height and length on the front line. Banchero is not only the best available but a good fit as well.

4. Sacramento Kings-Shaedon Sharpe/Kentucky/G/F

I know people will accuse me of stealing ESPN's Jonathon Givony's early mock but I literally had this written down before their "instant mock" came up on the screen. Something tells me that Keegan Murray may be the pick but I'm going to go with my early gut instinct on this one. The Kings need to get creative and swing for the fences for once. Sharpe's upside is intriguing and fits the bill of going for the fences.

5. Detroit Pistons-Jaden Ivey/Purdue/1/2G

I know this is the 3rd year in a row that the Pistons will draft a guard but Ivey is too good to pass up. He and Cade are both interchangeable meaning that they can play both guard spots. Pistons will figure out who fits the bill as the lead guard in training camp.

6. Indiana Pacers-Keegan Murray/Iowa/PF

Pacers break the Blazer's dream of getting Murray at 7. Indy is another team with loads of wings and guards but not a lot of bigs. Murray is the best available and fits a need.

7. Portland Trailblazers-Bennedict Matthurin/Arizona/G/F

Blazers bounce back from the slight setback and get the best on the board. Will have to fit the glaring hole at the 4 spot some other way.

8. New Orleans Pelicans-Dyson Daniels/G-League/1/2G

It's getting tough this guy has the most upside of big guards on the board. Gave consideration to Johnny Davis, AJ Griffin, Ochai Agbaji and Malakhi Branham. Assuming there are no more hiccups with Zion, the Pels are pretty much set at 4 of the 5 spots on the floor with Jonas, Zion, BI and CJ. A heady player like Daniels can be a big time addition.

9. San Antonio Spurs-Jeremy Sochan/Baylor/PF

Classic Spurs pick. Foreign player who is shooting up the charts. May seem a little high to take him but the Spurs are known to throw curveballs from time to time as evidenced by the Josh Primo pick last year.

10. Washington Wizards-TyTy Washington/Kentucky/PG

How often do you see this? A team chooses a player whose surname matches their geographic identifier. Wiz need a floor leader and he's the best available

11. New York Knicks-Jalen Duren/Memphis/C/PF

Insurance in case Mitchell Robinson tries to take them for a ride in free agency but is a bit of a project as well. If they keep Robinson, they can bring Duren along slowly.

12. Oklahoma City Thunder-Mark Williams/Duke/C

I know that they should steal one of the talented guards or wings that remain on the board but they still lack frontline depth even after getting Chet earlier. If game 1 of the Heat and Celtics taught us anything it's that shot blocking is still a commodity. Williams can swat with the best of them.

13. Charlotte Hornets-Johnny Davis/Wisconsin/2G

Good value at 13 as lots of mocks had him going higher. Davis fills in behind Terry Rozier at the 2 spot.

14. Cleveland Cavaliers-Kennedy Chandler/Tennessee/PG

Cavaliers go for depth behind Darius Garland.

15. Charlotte Hornets-J.D. Davison/Alabama/PG

Another early shocker. Hornets also opt for lead guard depth.

16. Atlanta Hawks-A.J. Griffin/Duke/SF

Enough free falling for Griffin. Probably goes earlier in the draft but I just couldn't find the right fit.

17. Houston Rockets-Tari Eason/LSU/PF

Good value here for this late riser. Perimeter oriented Rockets get another interior presence.

18. Chicago Bulls-Nikola Jovic/Serbia/SF/PF

Bulls are another team in need of frontline depth. Jovic can spread the floor as he projects as a stretch 4 in the NBA.

19. Minnesota Timberwolves-Malakhi Branham/Ohio St./SG/SF

Another good value pick. Branham will probably go higher when it's all said and done but if he's available here, the Wolves would be wise to snatch him up.

20. San Antonio Spurs- E.J. Liddell/Ohio St./PF

Buckeyes go back to back. Hard working type who will work well with Pop.

21. Denver Nuggets-Jalen Williams/Santa Clara/SF

Another heady, smart player who should stick in the NBA for awhile. Gives Nuggets needed depth on the wing, especially needed given MPJ's questionable back.

22. Memphis Grizzlies-Ochai Agbaji/Kansas/2G

Another free faller. Should probably go higher. Grizz are deep at all spots so they go for best available.

23. Brooklyn Nets-Walker Kessler/Auburn/C

Disappointing post season drops this big man a bit but the Nets are crunched by the cap and need big man depth so they get it here.

24. Milwaukee Bucks-Patrick Baldwin Jr./Wisconsin-Milwaukee/SF/PF

Low floor, high ceiling type that teams can start gambling on this late. Played college ball literally 300 feet away from Fizerv Forum.

25. San Antonio Spurs-Blake Wesley/Notre Dame/1/2G

After opting for frontcourt depth in the previous 2 picks, the Spurs get someone who can cover both guard spots here.

26. Dallas Mavericks-Christian Koloko/Arizona/C

Mavs have a ton of wing talent and depth. I guess they could error on the side of caution and look for a replacement for Jalen Brunson but I see Cuban matching any offer. Mavs go big with a guy who I'm surprised isn't getting more run after a solid NCAA tournament.

27. Miami Heat-Kendall Brown/Baylor/SF/PF

Not really sure about his fit here but he's the best available who does a bit of a free fall.

28. Golden State Warriors-Jamaree Bouyea/San Francisco/PG

Had to do it. As a USF fan growing up who can remember going to games behind the bench for less than $10, I never thought I'd see the day that a Don would be on the NBA radar. In all seriousness though, he had a great game in the most entertaining round 1 game of the NCAA's this year. Fills in a lot of blanks. Played college ball in the city that the Warriors call home and gives them some depth at a position where Steph is the only one under contract.

29. Memphis Grizzlies-Jaylin Williams/Arkansas/PF/C

Not to be confused with the Nuggets pick who spells his name "Jalen", this guy fits grind and grind culture to a T. Takes charges with the best of them and his hustle will sit well with the Memphis faithful.

30. Oklahoma City Thunder-Wendell Moore/Duke/2G/SF

Another free faller who can play either wing spot for the Thunder who already went big twice earlier.

Lol no Dieng

A+ for Daniels tho

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Lol no Dieng

A+ for Daniels tho
    I'm late to the party on Dieng. Being that you're close to New Zealand, what's your intel. Hot air or is this guy legit?

I realize that Davison and Boumeyea are long shots as well. Surprised that Jaylin Williams isn't getting more run after Arkansas' run in the NCAA's.

Edit: I see an entire thread about him. I'll check that out
    Last edited by Century City; 05-18-2022 at 01:58 PM.

Thread Information