Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Chris Paul

Barring a return to NOLA, I hope he loses every game he enters.
    I once had some of the worst grits and drippings in the Queen City

Quote Originally Posted by Pelsfan504 View Post
    I?m kinda conflicted because I want cp3 to win a ring but after we just went to war with the suns I?m kinda happy they getting up outta here lol. Can?t explain it but how?s everybody else feeling? (Game not over yet though.)
    Late to the party but this how I felt.

Going into the playoffs, all I wanted was for the Pels to go out gracefully and CP3 to get his ring. After that series, I wanted them out. The way they played was....not dirty....it was like without honor. Baiting calls. Simulating fouls. And I know everyone does it but that was on steroids. Nah. I couldn't still get behind that.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

I loved Patrick Beverly crapping all over CP3 yesterday. It was a thing of beauty watching him just drop bomb after bomb on Chris Paul, and how nobody fears him. It upended a lot of the stories that reporters had been feeding fans. CP3 is a star, but he is a 5 point star, not a 6 point star.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I loved Patrick Beverly crapping all over CP3 yesterday. It was a thing of beauty watching him just drop bomb after bomb on Chris Paul, and how nobody fears him. It upended a lot of the stories that reporters had been feeding fans. CP3 is a star, but he is a 5 point star, not a 6 point star.
    Always love when bitter, jealous losers seek the loudest platform possible to spew hate on someone many many times better than them. Patrick Beverley; off court as he is on court, apparently.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Always love when bitter, jealous losers seek the loudest platform possible to spew hate on someone many many times better than them. Patrick Beverley; off court as he is on court, apparently.
    Where was the lie in what he said?

Point me to the lie.
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 05-17-2022 at 10:41 AM.

Point me to the lie is.
    Where was it said it was a lie? He said it was hate.

So speaking truth to power is hate? Make no bones about it, what he said is what everyone not in the media says, he just took a flame thrower to the narrative that the media has been going on about with CP3.

Point me to the lie.
    I mean, he legit said that CP3 has never been that good defensively. That's straight up untrue, especially considering CP3's size. For a probably-not-even-6'0 PG, CP3's defense for most of his career has been fantastic.

But other than that, it doesn't matter if it was untrue because my point wasn't that it was a lie, it's that it was pointless hate from a bitter and jealous individual. Which it is. Pat Beverley dreams about having 1/10th the career CP3 has had, rings or none.

I mean, he legit said that CP3 has never been that good defensively. That's straight up untrue, especially considering CP3's size. For a probably-not-even-6'0 PG, CP3's defense for most of his career has been fantastic.

But other than that, it doesn't matter if it was untrue because my point wasn't that it was a lie, it's that it was pointless hate from a bitter and jealous individual. Which it is. Pat Beverley dreams about having 1/10th the career CP3 has had, rings or none.
    Bitter and jealous?

This from BI's biggest detractor before he even hit the court for New Orleans. Now he backstrokes. So funny!!!

Did he really say that CP3 was never good on defense? I thought that he had said that he was a cone on defense (meaning now). If he said that he has never been good on defense then there is the lie. But if we are talking about in the now, Beverly has a point as his defensive rating was the lowest it’s been since 2009.

I think Beverly’s point wasn’t that of a bitter person. It’s from a person who sees a person similar to him, that people put above reproach. Beverly has pushed CP3 in the back, he has mocked guys who have flopped, he has talked trash. Has he hit 4 dudes in the junk? Are his antics on the court not just as bad as CP3’s? The issue is CP3 came into the league with much fanfare as a lottery pick tends to get. He performed very well, and figured out the game and won favor with media, fans, refs, and players alike. Beverly however came in with none of that. He had a much tougher of a time getting into the league (and staying in it). Fans, refs, media, etc. didn’t care for him. Had he kept his antics to a Chris Paul level he could have flown under the radar, but everyone is different in how they behave (I’m not making excuses, just pointing out a fact). He is still in the league at 33 (an age when guys are past being shown the door) so he must be doing something right.

I watched a clip of Matt Barnes riding to CP3’s defense, saying that he and Beverly had a similar career. Man, nobody is trying to hear that Matt Barnes. You were a rung or three below Beverly.

Did he really say that CP3 was never good on defense? I thought that he had said that he was a cone on defense (meaning now). If he said that he has never been good on defense then there is the lie. But if we are talking about in the now, Beverly has a point as his defensive rating was the lowest it’s been since 2009.
    When he says that CP3 is a ''cone'' and ''ain't guarding nobody'' and ''everyone in the league knows that'' but ''you don't like to talk about that because he's CP3'', that doesn't sound like he's referring to the last 5 games. I may have misremembered his exact phrasing - I thought he had said ever but I can't find that clip now, so I accept that I must have misremembered - but the point remains; he's acting like Chris Paul has been a long time negative on defense, which isn't true.

Beverley then proceeded to call himself the best defender in the world, say that he's as good as Giannis on defense (using Dfg% as his evidence, lmao at awful use of a notoriously unreliable stat) and then claimed Jayson Tatum doesn't play any defense.

This man is salty and delusional.

As for the other content about him being upset that CP3 has one reputation and he has another, the simple answer is that a reputation is a cumulative thing. CP3 has a generally good reputation because, while yes he has a history of questionable (and dirty) plays, he also has a reputation as one of the greatest point guards of all time, a top 30 player of all time, and a league-era defining star. You add those things together and yes, when people talk about CP3, the dirty plays get overshadowed in the discussion.

They don't get overshadowed when you talk about Beverley because Beverley is, by and large, an average-to-slightly-below-average player overall and always has been. His defense has never actually been anything like what his reputation would have you imagine (as Russell Westbrook will tell you), and his offense has always topped out at mediocre. So when he gets discussed his history of fouling and dirt gets more focus simply because there's less to overshadow it. Yeah, I do think he's salty about that.

I took his comments about CP3 to be in reference to his play this year, which if he was referring to, then yeah, that’s about right. I did find it comical that he said that he was the greatest defender in the world, but I assume that is just going off of what he saw on the stat sheet. His defense has also dropped this past year. Heck, I think his defensive rating is worse than Gary Payton II (a player I would love for us to land). But regardless, CP3’s defense has been suspect this year.

The NBA is all about King Making. Of all the sports in the world (outside of the WWE), no other sport let’s fans and media determine who the stars will be more than the NBA. You win the crowd (play well, fain their favor, make money for the league), and you win your freedom (you are called for fewer fouls because nobody came to see the 12th man off the bench play). This isn’t debatable. Stars rarely ever foul out. So it is with league awards from MVP to All-NBA. CP3 should have won an MVP over Kobe, but Kobe had the fans and the media eating at his feet, so he took it. So many times harder playing players don’t get the All Defensive nod, because they don’t have the name appeal. This is where CP3 feasts, and Beverly falters.

Beverly was/is never going to trump CP3’s goodwill. He could have the better product (he doesn’t), but unless he can win the fans and the refs, he will never get the benefit of the doubt. And while not all fans don’t love CP3, none of them love Beverly (because he is raw and unpolished). It’s a crap deal, but that doesn’t make what Beverly said untrue.

I don’t see it as hate. Just telling it how it is but there is this

https://deadspin.com/the-origins-of-...-ex-1848933845

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post

Yeah, that timeline is kind of wonky right? He says that he and CP3 played each other in HS BBall tournaments, yet there is like 3-4 years in age difference.

I hate that I am defending Patrick Beverly.

Like I said, I think it comes across as incredibly salty and bitter.

Which, on some level, I can understand. Almost every NBA player was the best player at their high school. 90% of them were the best player on their college team. Patrick Beverley averaged 37 points a game in high school.

To go from that: 37 points a game, best player in your state, best player on your team

To what he is in the NBA: roleplayer bouncing around the league, career averages of 8/4/3 on below league average TS%, more famous for nearly crippling Russell Westbrook than for anything he's actually done as a player

That's gotta hurt the pride, I would imagine. Must hurt to see someone who shares your chippy attitude, plays your position, but who is actually good at NBA level basketball, get all the praise and accolades and plaudits while you just kind of sit there getting older and turning into a meme. I don't imagine PatBev is the only NBA player who has experienced this kind of ego-damage.

He is 33 years old, and has a contract that will ensure he is in the league until he is 35. That’s actually quite the accompaniment given where he started, and how it’s going. Most guys bounce out of the league (if they even get a contract) for 4.5 years. For him to have stuck around for 12 years (after spending 4 years playing across the ocean) is a hell of an accomplishment. I can only hope that Jose has as long and productive an NBA career.

But regardless, his career on the court has been impressive from a defensive standpoint. That’s his calling card, and he does it well enough for teams to keep signing him. Even the media had to recognize his talents by naming him to multiple NBA All Defensive teams. Matt Barnes could never.

Beverly is basically irrelevant. Not sure if he is just doing this to get attention.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Beverly is basically irrelevant. Not sure if he is just doing this to get attention.
    I think that just like Cam Jordan, or any active player, he is getting out there on TV, trying to see if he has the chops for the industry.

Despise him as I do, Skip Bayless actually brought up a good point on the subject (pro athletes going on to ESPN shows). They call it the “car wash”. Starting early in the day, a player will go on the first tv show in the morning, and stay on campus/on zoom throughout the day. The questions asking for their takes may differ, but they are typically the same, and the player practices the message over the course of those shows. Sharpening it, and getting it to be more impactful. Makes sense. I believe the same thing happens during the week of the Super Bowl (players/coaches/execs going on a string of programs to pump anything and everything they can).

That said, Beverly gave ESPN all they wanted (with his answers). Every sports show on tv or on the radio is discussing this topic, and this having to replay clips from ESPN programs (keeping them relevant). Putting an irrelevant/relevant player on their shows was a gamble that paid off.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Ask Jose for his opinion

I did not see this one. Okay so there is some bad blood. Maybe they can fix their differences

Season Ticket Holder
    I did not see this one. Okay so there is some bad blood. Maybe they can fix their differences

Why would they "fix their differences"? Beverly is making hay off all this.

It’s certainly an interesting point of reference (that push by Beverly to CP3). Obviously CP3 said something to Pat to set him off. Obviously laying hands on a person isn’t the answer, but poking the bear (when it’s angry) isn’t smart either.

One of the shows this morning played that clip, and said, “this is who Pat Beverly is.” They cut out the part where CP3 said something, and they didn’t show CP3’s affection to other men’s groins. But they made sure to play that clip.

Also, who uses Russ Westbrook as any sort of point of reference. That dude and the Dothraki mocked Reggie Jackson pretty hard when he (Jackson) was traded to the Pistons. The man is as loose a cannon as Beverly, just louder.

Thread Information