Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Remember when Mac said we would oscillate through love, hate then love Griff again?

Remember when Mac said we would oscillate through love, hate then love Griff again?

I miss that guy

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I miss that guy
    We all love the guy. Where did he go? Return of Presser account?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    No but I remember when he said he wanted the Pelicans to lose in the play in and you two jumped on that bandwagon like good little groupies lol

I’m still not a fan of Griff really. The only thing I can say in his defense is he was kind of forced to keep Gentry in year one. I do think that set things back quite a bit. Regardless of my feelings on the man, I do think we are in a very good position to compete. So he gets positive marks for that

You could say the same for almost every GM or POBO that makes the roster decisions.

Remember when everyone hated Dell and then he traded for Boogie?

I try not to make any judgments on an exec until after a few years to see if most of their decisions have worked out. But most importantly if the team is heading in the right direction. So far so good for Griff.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    I?m still not a fan of Griff really. The only thing I can say in his defense is he was kind of forced to keep Gentry in year one. I do think that set things back quite a bit. Regardless of my feelings on the man, I do think we are in a very good position to compete. So he gets positive marks for that
    Really bad for two years and was gonna be three years if he didn't pull off that CJ trade and let people do their jobs. Like not sabotage the coaching hire. So, he did good by staying in his office.

Season Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Really bad for two years and was gonna be three years if he didn't pull off that CJ trade and let people do their jobs. Like not sabotage the coaching hire. So, he did good by staying in his office.
    I'll say it again: Griff wanted to put together a team that felt like a FAMILY. He has been wildly successful.

No executive makes all the right decisions. You can nit pick all you want, and point to near-misses and mistakes, but he put together a roster that ZION is clearly psyched about. That alone is a success. Go Griff!

As for MM, he'll be back. He can't stay away.

Judging the process makes way more sense than judging solely based on results because those can be skewed by luck. And the process seemed largely broken under Griff for the first two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    Judging the process makes way more sense than judging solely based on results because those can be skewed by luck. And the process seemed largely broken under Griff for the first two years.
    Yeah his tenure overall has been poor. That could change next season if we get an actual seed and make more progress as a team, but making the 9th seed is hardly an accomplishment. We still have a ways to go

Season Ticket Holder
    This is a ridiculous approach. You "judge the process" by your preconceptions, which are inherently flawed. For instance, maybe you thought we should have kept Lonzo. Well, Lonzo only played in 35 games this year. Was that luck? Or was Lonzo habitually injured and we didn't want him because of his injury history? He's only played in 52, 47, 63, 55 & 35 games each season. You judge that transaction based on how you subjectively value Lonzo.

The only thing that is not subjective is wins and losses. And Zion re-signing, which I think we all can agree is a goal. Every team-building process involves luck. Tons and tons of luck.
    Last edited by Upper Decker; 05-02-2022 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Upper Decker View Post
    This is a ridiculous approach. You "judge the process" by your preconceptions, which are inherently flawed. For instance, maybe you thought we should have kept Lonzo. Well, Lonzo only played in 35 games this year. Was that luck? Or was Lonzo habitually injured and we didn't want him because of his injury history? He's only played in 52, 47, 63, 55 & 35 games each season. You judge that transaction based on how you subjectively value Lonzo.

The only thing that is not subjective is wins and losses. And Zion re-signing, which I think we all can agree is a goal. Every team-building process involves luck. Tons and tons of luck.
    Your Lonzo example honestly makes no sense. In this hypothetical did the individual want to keep Lonzo as a core piece? Did this individual take into account that Lonzo didn't want to be here? Did this person that wanted to keep Lonzo understand his injury history? All of these things go into the process. A person can value Lonzo however they want, if the logic and reasoning is sound then that determines whether or not it's a good or bad process.

And yeah no duh every team-building process involves luck, that doesn't mean all paths are created equal. Fumbling your way to the right answer isn't as repeatable as knowing what the hell you're doing.

Gonig through 3 coaches in 3 years, blowing picks on stiff centers, being neither a playoff team nor a high lottery pick team for 2 years, building for the future but playing vets like Bledsoe instead of playing younger guys, yeah no those are all part of a bad process and you shouldn't need to know the results to say that.

Season Ticket Holder
    Your Lonzo example honestly makes no sense. In this hypothetical did the individual want to keep Lonzo as a core piece? Did this individual take into account that Lonzo didn't want to be here? Did this person that wanted to keep Lonzo understand his injury history? All of these things go into the process. A person can value Lonzo however they want, if the logic and reasoning is sound then that determines whether or not it's a good or bad process.

And yeah no duh every team-building process involves luck, that doesn't mean all paths are created equal. Fumbling your way to the right answer isn't as repeatable as knowing what the hell you're doing.

Gonig through 3 coaches in 3 years, blowing picks on stiff centers, being neither a playoff team nor a high lottery pick team for 2 years, building for the future but playing vets like Bledsoe instead of playing younger guys, yeah no those are all part of a bad process and you shouldn't need to know the results to say that.
    Nitpick my example all you want, but my point remains: judging "the process" is subjective. We can all have differing opinions of moves based on preconceptions. Its about results. Period. Griff is doing a great job: Hired Willie; drafted Trey and Herb and signed Alvarado; acquired JV; acquired CJ. You think he "lucked" into this feel-good, positive squad? He refused to trade Billy. He didn't draft high-upside primadonnas. Griff created what we have going, which includes a bevvy of picks that can be used for cheap roster spots when Zion, BI, & CJ's cap numbers will be huge.

I guess you can choose to be a negative person and harp on the Steven Adams and Stan Van mistakes. But you can't tell me this team is perfectly positioned for 2022/23. And that's because of Griff.

The panic Graham move was all time bad. Seemed like a holdover of the historically bad 2020 off-season

He did nail virtually everything else, though, so he is redeeming himself

And had a bit of luck with how the Laker season turned out.
    Last edited by AusPel; 05-03-2022 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    The panic Graham move was all time bad. Seemed like a holdover of the historically bad 2020 off-season

He did nail everything else, though, so he is redeeming himself

And had a bit of luck with how the Laker season turned out.
    If Zion comes back motivated, we improve our seed and CJ continues to work out then yeah I’d say he is at the very least repairing his reputation. It’s not just Griffin- the organization desperately needs to repair its reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    If Zion comes back motivated, we improve our seed and CJ continues to work out then yeah I’d say he is at the very least repairing his reputation. It’s not just Griffin- the organization desperately needs to repair its reputation.
    And has taken bigger strides than anyone could have imagined in that department.

Pels culture is at an all time high right now

A lot of the love is coming externally, so you know it's not just a homerism feeling
    Last edited by AusPel; 05-03-2022 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Upper Decker View Post
    Nitpick my example all you want, but my point remains: judging "the process" is subjective. We can all have differing opinions of moves based on preconceptions. Its about results. Period. Griff is doing a great job: Hired Willie; drafted Trey and Herb and signed Alvarado; acquired JV; acquired CJ. You think he "lucked" into this feel-good, positive squad? He refused to trade Billy. He didn't draft high-upside primadonnas. Griff created what we have going, which includes a bevvy of picks that can be used for cheap roster spots when Zion, BI, & CJ's cap numbers will be huge.

I guess you can choose to be a negative person and harp on the Steven Adams and Stan Van mistakes. But you can't tell me this team is perfectly positioned for 2022/23. And that's because of Griff.
    I didn't nitpick your example, I simply pointed out it was extremely poorly thought out (which is why you didn't go back to it and answer those questions detailing the, you know, thinking process behind keeping Lonzo). You're probably someone that lost a very large amount of money taking the over on the Hawks win total because after all the results said they were a conference Finals team.

I realize the go to in the Pels fanbase is to call people "negative" when they disagree with you but I can't help if I don't subscribe to the simplistic school of thought that says if the random game on a Thursday night in January was won then we're going to the NBA finals and if that same game was lost then the world is ending and everyone needs to go.

Season Ticket Holder
    I didn't nitpick your example, I simply pointed out it was extremely poorly thought out (which is why you didn't go back to it and answer those questions detailing the, you know, thinking process behind keeping Lonzo). You're probably someone that lost a very large amount of money taking the over on the Hawks win total because after all the results said they were a conference Finals team.

I realize the go to in the Pels fanbase is to call people "negative" when they disagree with you but I can't help if I don't subscribe to the simplistic school of thought that says if the random game on a Thursday night in January was won then we're going to the NBA finals and if that same game was lost then the world is ending and everyone needs to go.
    1. You're right. The Lonzo example was poor.
    2. You're wrong. I have no interest in the Hawks.
    3. You're wrong. You are negative. You think Griff's successes are a result of luck and his failures are a result of...failure.

Griff has started making to make right moves and we should keep the pressure on him. He seems to be at his best when he's in that pressure cooker environment, unfortunately.

I've been saying this for months, but Griff has had one horrible, one middling, and one great offseason. His first one was decent! The AD trade was awesome, trading 4, not so much. I do agree with Mac that Griff should have sold on Lonzo in the 2019-20 season. Then his 2020 offseason sucked. The SVG hire and Jrue for Bledsoe and Adams+extension. Only good thing was the BI extension. Then Griff kills is with drafting Herb, Trey, and signing Jose, the JV trade+extension was incredible, the Devonte deal is the only negative. The Willie hire might be the best thing her did. And the CJ deal at the deadline.

He's an average to above average GM, great seller and not the best buyer who overpays for centers.
    Welcome to be here

Season Ticket Holder
    Griff has started making to make right moves and we should keep the pressure on him. He seems to be at his best when he's in that pressure cooker environment, unfortunately.
    How do you intend to "pressure" Griff? By posting on this message board? Twitter?

The rollercoaster of feelings for a GM/President is pretty much the norm. Happens with most of them.

Season Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    The rollercoaster of feelings for a GM/President is pretty much the norm. Happens with most of them.
    After 10 years of Dell Demps, our fanbase has forgotten that even good GMs have significant missteps.

We started off 1-12 and Griffin got into a physical altercation with Gentry at one point but the eternal sunshine pumpers don't want to say he was feeling pressure lmao

I think this offseason may make many of you hate Griffin again. This negotiation with Zion is going to be contentious.

Season Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    I think this offseason may make many of you hate Griffin again. This negotiation with Zion is going to be contentious.
    Maybe. Maybe not. The Windhorst thing is pure speculation.

Thread Information