Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Zion Williamson Would Sign New Pelicans Contract: 'Couldn't Sign It Fast Enough'

Quote Originally Posted by bradael View Post
    Pretty sure Griffin is going to want to give him a contract similar to what Embiid got after his rookie deal, while Zion's group is going to want a fully guaranteed max.

That is what's going to be the challenging part. Possible that Zion will turn it down if it's not fully guaranteed assuming he feels confident enough in his health going into his fourth season.

And Griffin isn't going to want to state clearly in a press conference that he's going to offer a max before they have those conversations. It's not like he's coming off back to back MVP seasons like Jokic.

Some people don’t want to hear that

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I said turned down the max extension.
    Here is one

https://www.sportscasting.com/shaqui...erappreciated/

Now I’m looking at James Harden as a possible 2nd one
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 05-01-2022 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Read it again Sherlock

Sooner or later. Maybe this summer, maybe later on in fall. There is a chance he may not sign it.

It is called a NEGOTIATION
    You've done a marvelous job of dodging the critique of your own point, while providing a counter-argument that misses my point entirely and attacks something I wasn't saying. I didn't even say you'd claimed Griff wouldn't offer it, so why you're telling me you didn't say that I don't know. Maybe you have me confused with someone else.

I also didn't say that there would be no negotiation, or that Griff would offer it without negotiation, so there's no need for the full caps situation. I said, if you would care to actually read it, that even if Griff would offer it without negotiation, he can't. That does not mean that I think he will offer it without negotiation.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 05-01-2022 at 12:35 AM.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    You've done a marvelous job of dodging the critique of your own point, while providing a counter-argument that misses my point entirely and attacks something I wasn't saying. I didn't even say you'd claimed Griff wouldn't offer it, so why you're telling me you didn't say that I don't know. Maybe you have me confused with someone else.

I also didn't say that there would be no negotiation, or that Griff would offer it without negotiation, so there's no need for the full caps situation. I said, if you would care to actually read it, that even if Griff would offer it without negotiation, he can't. That does not mean that I think he will offer it without negotiation.

Don’t want to listen. Fine. I’m going on a vacation. Perhaps McNamara can explain to you it better if he returns

On to my vacation

Have a great day.

I?m causing drama? Again don?t shoot the messenger. If it were this simple don?t you think Grif. Would have printed and had him sign the contract already? Maybe it happens this summer maybe it does not.

You may want to read what Bradeal posted #52.

Yes there is a chance Zion turns down what is offered. Again don?t shoot the messenger.
    Again, twisting words. Did not say it would be simple. But you claimed "Griff said himself" that something may not get done this offseason. Nowhere did he ever say that.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Again, twisting words. Did not say it would be simple. But you claimed "Griff said himself" that something may not get done this offseason. Nowhere did he ever say that.
    I’m on vacation this week. Take all issues with McNamara or someone else this week.

Have a great week. Carry on.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I’m on vacation this week. Take all issues with McNamara or someone else this week.

Have a great week. Carry on.
    What a troll.

Here is one

https://www.sportscasting.com/shaqui...erappreciated/

Now I’m looking at James Harden as a possible 2nd one
    Shaq leaving Orlando was like 15 years before the concept of a "max" extension. Harden's trade was because he wanted the max and OKC balked at giving it to him because they were concerned about future luxury tax implications and foolishly thought they needed to keep Kendrick Perkins' bloated salary on their roster.

Might want to read that article again. One, those players weren't offered max contracts. Two, most of them weren't even offered extensions at all, so they didn't even have a chance to turn them down.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I think a weight clause - if it's even possible - is a horrible idea. How do they decide today what will be the appropriate weight for him to get bonuses at the end of a potentially 5 year deal: deciding at age 21, which is how old Zion will be when he signs, what you should weigh when you're 27 is probably not a great idea.

A games played clause is better, I think, since it implies a weight/health requirement without placing an explicit number on the biological aspect.
    Weight Clause, Games Played Clause, call it whatever you want, the end result is not getting left on the hook if things go side ways with Zion?s health. I don?t know if that is possible under the CBA, but if it is, you certainly need to include it for risk management purposes.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyquem View Post
    Be funny if the Pels pick David Roddy of Colorado State in the 2nd round-- then they'd have two guys that are built like football players/The Hulk. He's pretty good too, for a 2nd rnd flyer!
    6'6", 255!
    I have thought about Roddy as well. Prior to the tourney folks talked him up big time (unfortunately he got bounced before anyone could see what he could do).

I wonder if he makes it to round 2, as perhaps a team with a late first burns it on his potential.
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 05-05-2022 at 12:31 AM.

The Pelicans need to have this deal sitting on the desk the second it is allowed to be signed.. Yes he has been hurt but our staff knows where he is at.. Zion isn’t some injury prone player if you ask me but had a simple string of bad luck and learned the hard way about being over weight.. the best thing that could have happened imo was Zion and our staff finding this all out now knowing how to work with him and do what’s best from here on forward.. It’s not like we are signing this contract guessing on if he can be a star or not.. we already know he is an all star and is only 21.. the only question is will he be healthy and that is something I’m not going to play around with when it comes to locking him up long term and again I’m sure our staff knows.. from his 360 windmill dunks pregame I would say he’s healthy and they don’t see any lingering problems.. they simply wanted him healthy for the long term and to have a full season practicing with this team while continuing to transform his body.. throwing him in the middle of the playoffs would have been a terrible decision.. if he had the most minor tweak the media would have torn the Pelicans to pieces even if it was Zions camp forcing him to play.. the media would have basically forced a trade by not shutting up..
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 05-09-2022 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    The Pelicans need to have this deal sitting on the desk the second it is allowed to be signed.. Yes he has been hurt but our staff knows where he is at.. Zion isn’t some injury prone player if you ask me but had a simple string of bad luck and learned the hard way about being over weight.. the best thing that could have happened imo was Zion and our staff finding this all out now knowing how to work with him and do what’s best from here on forward.. It’s not like we are signing this contract guessing on if he can be a star or not.. we already know he is an all star and is only 21.. the only question is will he be healthy and that is something I’m not going to play around with when it comes to locking him up long term and again I’m sure our staff knows.. from his 360 windmill dunks pregame I would say he’s healthy and they don’t see any lingering problems.. they simply wanted him healthy for the long term and to have a full season practicing with this team while continuing to transform his body.. throwing him in the middle of the playoffs would have been a terrible decision.. if he had the most minor tweak the media would have torn the Pelicans to pieces even if it was Zions camp forcing him to play.. the media would have basically forced a trade by not shutting up..
    The only thing that was missing from this post is you calling Zion a "kid". It's been your signature posting style and it's weird not seeing it in such a lengthy post haha
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    The only thing that was missing from this post is you calling Zion a "kid". It's been your signature posting style and it's weird not seeing it in such a lengthy post haha
    I'd certainly like the contract to be ready for signing so long as it has tons of 'Embiid Clauses' in it to protect the team from Zion's overzealous appetite and his proclivity for injury (particularly to his legs). We owe that protection to BI, CJ, Val, Herb and the rest. A contract sans protections would effectively destroy this team in the event of injury.

As I've stated before, Williamson has been injured (and missed games) every year dating back to his senior year at Spartanburg Day High School. For those of you missing a finger, that's the last five years. That's a track record that no sane General Manager can ignore when we are talking about 25%+ of the team's disposable cap space.

Thread Information