Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 55 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022-23 Offseason Thread

I need a scouting department to reply to a post on a message board?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Highest ceiling comp I can give Mathurin is closer to Ray Allen than Brown. I don’t think Mathurin ever is really great on D but Brown will never have the movement shooting Mathurin does either.

19 yr old Ray Allen and 19 year old Mathurin have a ton in common. Question is whether Mathurin will have Allen’s insane work ethic
    Based on what I seen/heard Mathurin supposed to have a pretty good personality and work ethic. Is he a psycho? Hopefully
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Biasvasospasm View Post
    I need a scouting department to reply to a post on a message board?
    The issues seem to be that your takes are very strong and absolute. As if you 100 percent know the future, and the reality is we are talking about kids here and nobody can possibly predict how it will play out. All you can know is that Pat Williams hasn’t been great so far, which everyone knows.

I bet you would have better convos on here if your takes were a little bit more lukewarm and open minded. Just my two cents. But do you
    @mcnamara247

Highest ceiling comp I can give Mathurin is closer to Ray Allen than Brown. I don?t think Mathurin ever is really great on D but Brown will never have the movement shooting Mathurin does either.

19 yr old Ray Allen and 19 year old Mathurin have a ton in common. Question is whether Mathurin will have Allen?s insane work ethic
    Well, obviously if we took Mathurin and he became Ray Allen that would be stupendous!

Brown was my first comp for him I guess because they remind me of each other physically--height, weight, build--and in their vertical explosiveness and even the look of their jumper (though mechanically it's a bit different). But coming out of Cal, Brown was actually not seen as a good shooter or ball handler by NBA standards. And people often forget he was benched as recently as the 2019 season for inconsistent play.

Interested in why your bearish on Mathurin's defensive potential. He certainly has the physical tools to be good on that side. And most rookies have a ways to go learning NBA defense. That was certainly true of Brown's C's teammate Jason Tatum. Pulled this up from Tatum's draft scouting report "...One of the first flaws that jump out in Tatum?s game is his inconsistent intensity on defense ? At times, he seems to just go through the motions defensively and didn?t demonstrate the competitive desire to lock his man down ?

Every 27 year old average or bad defender was once a 19 year old who COULD be a good defender. And yes, Mathurin could be good. And I would say going to New Orleans would be perhaps his best chance to focus on D the first few years and have a coach who helps him on that side. All that said, steals in college are usually a great indicator of several things and he just didn’t get many steals or deflections. So while he could be a lot of things, I will always bet on the guy who has showed it already. Like Daniels, who got steals and deflections against grown men and loved contesting at the rim

Say something uncalled for that your not absolutely right on just difference of opinion Ben Simmons is a all star that literally is great at 2/3 things we lack a real facilitator idc what y?all say we struggled to make basic entry passes and defensively besides herb our players are subpar on defense and he can get penetration also young also athletic with size

Man stop this Kennard are you serious a taller jj red duck without the track record nah in exchange for a real shot creator

Jr was nice when he got to us or atleast exciting getting to that paint couldn?t shoot all that good turned into a chucker

The more we talk about Mathurin the less I want him tbh.

Go watch the TCU game. You will want him again. That kid was a dog that night

I think his off-ball movement alone would do wonders for our bench offensively. Imagining Mathurin and Trey on the wing with Zion, gets my blood pumping. We really need a great movement shooter and Mathurin has the potential to be that. I've grown to like Daniels and his well rounded game a little more than Mathurin, but I'd still be thrilled with Mathurin(especially because of the money I'll win from MyBookie )

The irony is JR Smith is one of the best comps out there for Benedict Mathurin
    I was thinking Jason Richardson

Edit: nevermind, seems you said the same thing.

The Franchise
    I’m hoping we can get Daniel’s and pick up a later pick to grab Hardy. Then with a second rounder grab Besson on a 2-way. I’d be happy with any of Daniels, Maturin, or Sharpe. Can the draft hurry up and get here.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    I’m hoping we can get Daniel’s and pick up a later pick to grab Hardy. Then with a second rounder grab Besson on a 2-way. I’d be happy with any of Daniels, Maturin, or Sharpe. Can the draft hurry up and get here.
    Dont rush it. After that, the rest of the offseason will be very boring. Basically, you have that one night and some pointless summer league games between now and late October. No need to rush

Go watch the TCU game. You will want him again. That kid was a dog that night
    Watching now and honestly I'm getting a bigger Devonte Grham vibe .

Quote Originally Posted by Upper Decker View Post
    Are you actually serious with this proposition?

Hell, Murray had 21.1 ppg. 8.3 reb, and 9.4 asst. last year and made the all-star team

vassell shows every indication of becoming a lights out 3 point shooter (84% FT)

id be tempted

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    That might be the wildest take of the year, considering he had the dunk of the season in that game. But yeah, he is a bit of a streaky shooter. He will be remembered in that game for the dunk and that cluch three to send it to overtime, but there were a few passes in that game that are what excites me about his potential. With about 16:30 left in the 2nd half, he runs a pick and roll with Koloko and patiently waits before throwing a perfect lob for a dunk. Then, with about 9:10 left, he throws a cross court pass to Kerr in the corner for a big 3.

Guy attacks hard and gets to the FT line. Good movement shooter, and will be a solid passer in the NBA. He isnt a "get mine" only type of scorer. And the most important thing you should take away from that TCU game is how much he cares. Watch his offensive rebound and put back with 1:12 left in overtime, and then his reaction after. If I was the Pels and I picked him, my 30 second twitter highlight clip of him would just be that putback and his reaction for the next 25 seconds. Exactly what our fan base loves.

Anyway, I have been Team Daniels for a while but the Mathurin concern has now gone too far IMO. He would be a solid pick

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    Hell, Murray had 21.1 ppg. 8.3 reb, and 9.4 asst. last year and made the all-star team

vassell shows every indication of becoming a lights out 3 point shooter (84% FT)

id be tempted
    I’d give up most anytime for Murray and Vassell just not BI or Zion. They’d be perfect surrounding those 2.

In a vaccum, it is close to a fair trade, all things considered. But quality beats quantity in the NBA and the Pels need one more A player, not a ton of B players. If you are going to trade Zion, it is not for 2 or 3 good players. You trade him WITH picks for someone better. Like a Tatum or an Embiid. Not that those players are available. But with all the talent the Pels already have and draft picks incoming for the next few years, you want to become more top heavy, not more middle heavy

The Franchise
    What do you think of Hardy? He’s another that I think could develop in the same fashion as sharpe and Maturin. If we can get a later pick or move down.

The Franchise
    Daniels, Hardy, and Trey could be a legit backup unit.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    What do you think of Hardy? He’s another that I think could develop in the same fashion as sharpe and Maturin. If we can get a later pick or move down.
    Skill wise, yes. He supposedly is the most cocky, least humble prospect in the class according some people around the league. Obviously I can’t know that myself, as I never met the kid. But it’s the primary reason he isn’t seen as a lottery guy around the league currently. I’d ra the we have that guy at 26 than 20 yrs old

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    If Devonte Graham were 6'5", he'd be a top 3 pick and probably #1. I wish Mathurin was a bigger Devonte Graham.

Man, these takes are getting SPICY

As of now, seems like the tier-2 goes Ivey, Murray, Daniels at 4, 5, 6 in some order. Sharpe, Mathurin, and Griffin could be wild cards for those spots. I think if we really want Daniels and see him as a can't-miss prospect long-term, we'll have to trade up to #6.

Thread Information