Pelicans Report

Page 52 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2 42 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 1361

Thread: 2022-23 Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    That tall French thing is pretty good. Durant but even taller?
    Ho You Fat?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Da hell did you call me!?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Da hell did you call me!?
    Victor's teammate, Steeve Ho You Fat

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FeRcGRgXgAAsoJZ.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	6640

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-remarka...003851784.html
    Last edited by Rheem654; 10-05-2022 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I'm still a little annoyed about his injury and not being on the main roster (neither would play much but I'd rather have him for insurance than Temple or Naji, for example) but I'm glad we're keeping him in store. Hope his recovery is going well. I had him as a first round talent and am still an optimist
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I'm still a little annoyed about his injury and not being on the main roster (neither would play much but I'd rather have him for insurance than Temple or Naji, for example) but I'm glad we're keeping him in store. Hope his recovery is going well. I had him as a first round talent and am still an optimist
    Two way contracts don't last the whole year though

This smells like a 2 for 1 trade is coming to open up a spot for him

Doing some more reading, you can only 'spend' 45 days with the team under a 2 way, whatever to spend actually means.

I guess that does mean one can stay on a 2 way the whole year
    Last edited by AusPel; 10-16-2022 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post

Doing some more reading, you can only 'spend' 45 days with the team under a 2 way, whatever to spend actually means.

Yeah, to my knowledge a 2 way does last the whole year, it just limits the time you can spend 'with' the team. So you can only, for example, play so many games with the team if they want you to actually play, and only be at so many practices.

Yeah, to my knowledge a 2 way does last the whole year, it just limits the time you can spend 'with' the team. So you can only, for example, play so many games with the team if they want you to actually play, and only be at so many practices.
    I thought there was a deadline to signing a player to a 2-way (maybe mid-Jan), and teams could waive a player and sign another one before then. Those rules may have changed. Maybe MM can clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post

With EJ, it has always been the same. The plan is to give him a deal similar to what they did for Jose - whenever a roster spot opens up, whether that be an uneven trade or just waiving someone in March, and then using part of the MLE to sign EJ. There is not some big thing going on right now that this is foreshadowing. Same as it was months ago
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 10-17-2022 at 04:15 AM.
    @mcnamara247

Something to be said for the culture that Griff has built and the trust that he’s generated with both players and agents around the league

The Portland Trail Blazers plan to sign former Florida State product John Butler on a two-way NBA contract, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. The 7-foot-1 big man spent summer league and preseason with the Pelicans and now lands a roster spot.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    The Portland Trail Blazers plan to sign former Florida State product John Butler on a two-way NBA contract, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. The 7-foot-1 big man spent summer league and preseason with the Pelicans and now lands a roster spot.
    Griff got a little too cute with that one and hoped nobody else would like Butler, but in the end he lost him and effectively chose Seabaron over him. Could very easily see Butler do nothing this year and Pels land him next year. But they really liked him and are a little bummed they lost him today

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Griff got a little too cute with that one and hoped nobody else would like Butler, but in the end he lost him and effectively chose Seabaron over him. Could very easily see Butler do nothing this year and Pels land him next year. But they really liked him and are a little bummed they lost him today
    They ********ed around and found out. Can't believe we decided to keep Seabron over him.

Seabron is a terrible fit and has no future on this team.

I get the logic. Best case scenario Butler is what, 2 or 3 years away from being a regular season rotation player. Maybe 4-5 from a playoff player, if he ever gets there (unlikely)

Meanwhile, the Pels already are loaded with young players and have a bunch more coming down the pipeline. Might get another top 10 pick this year and that guy wouldnt even be able to crack the rotation, let alone John Butler

Meanwhile, there is a world in which Seabron might provide a boost in Feb/March/April a la Jose last year. Not a high chance, but a chance. No chance Butler was contributing anything for years

Team feels good they will be able to make a 2 for 1, possibly even a 3 for 1 trade in season. Hayes and Temple the most likely to go, with Devonte coming in 3rd. They want to land a more impactful guy on an expiring, without giving up a 1st, and thats where its hard with Devonte. But they dont think it would take much to return him to a net neutral

But assuming they can't and its Temple, Hayes, and a 2nd, you are looking at guys in the 9-11 mil range because they want to stay out of the tax, and also use part of the MLE to sign EJ.

So, guys like Terrance Ross, Alec Burks, Poeltl. Nobody that I would say is a sure fire playoff rotation guy, unless one or two from current rotation get hurt. But maybe a guy to give you something specific in a specific playoff matchup. Like a Josh Richardson can give you an extra body to throw at Luka

The one kinda wild one they have thrown around internally is Jonathan Issac, if the cost gets low enough. Like, if you could get him for Hayes, Graham, Temple and a protected 1st, do you take the swing? Or is he kind of redundant with Hayes and Trey defensively, and worse than them offensively? His contract is actually very easy to get out of as soon as next year. But if he hits, he is locked in for a few more years at a cheap cost. Again, if the cost gets cheap enough, it is worth discussing as kind of a swiss army knife off the bench that continues to make you an even longer, more versitile team

The one kinda wild one they have thrown around internally is Jonathan Issac, if the cost gets low enough. Like, if you could get him for Hayes, Graham, Temple and a protected 1st, do you take the swing? Or is he kind of redundant with Hayes and Trey defensively, and worse than them offensively? His contract is actually very easy to get out of as soon as next year. But if he hits, he is locked in for a few more years at a cheap cost. Again, if the cost gets cheap enough, it is worth discussing as kind of a swiss army knife off the bench that continues to make you an even longer, more versitile team
    Would be difficult for me to imagine a guy whose presence on the team would tank my enthusiasm more.

I liked him so much better before I heard him speak. But whatever. As long as he's a basketball player first and commits to that wholesale, I'm good.

Would be difficult for me to imagine a guy whose presence on the team would tank my enthusiasm more.
    Word, this is where we have to factor in basketball players being people and not 2k characters. Isaac in the locker room will cause some disturbance. How much? Not sure but I don't believe it's worth it.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Is he a bad teammate? I mean I'm sure he proselytizes lot but I would put the number of agnostics or atheists on most NBA teams as quite low. Wouldn't go out drinking or partying either. But I wouldn't either if I were an NBA player.

Seabron was infinitely more impressive than Butler all preseason

Team feels good they will be able to make a 2 for 1, possibly even a 3 for 1 trade in season. Hayes and Temple the most likely to go, with Devonte coming in 3rd. They want to land a more impactful guy on an expiring, without giving up a 1st, and thats where its hard with Devonte. But they dont think it would take much to return him to a net neutral

But assuming they can't and its Temple, Hayes, and a 2nd, you are looking at guys in the 9-11 mil range because they want to stay out of the tax, and also use part of the MLE to sign EJ.

So, guys like Terrance Ross, Alec Burks, Poeltl. Nobody that I would say is a sure fire playoff rotation guy, unless one or two from current rotation get hurt. But maybe a guy to give you something specific in a specific playoff matchup. Like a Josh Richardson can give you an extra body to throw at Luka

If Isaac has the highest home run potential, I’d go for it. Treat it similar to how I would the first 10 in the draft. Difference would be I’m taking the current roster into consideration, and more length and defense raises our ceiling.

Obviously the thing with Isaac is whether he has matured off the floor. I do think we have the type of locker room at this point to take him in, similar to Golden State and Wiggins. If he has matured, then he's your finishing 5 of the future imo. If you can get him for DG, Jax, GT, and a protected first, then you do it with the quickness.

We'd have to stomach the nonsense from a few years ago, but this is a guy who was Robert Williams before Robert Williams, and he shot 34% from 3, and he could guard on the perimeter. The guy was averaging 3.9 stocks per game before the injury, but of course he has not played basketball in basically three years.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Seabron was infinitely more impressive than Butler all preseason
    Do not see any future for Seabron. His whole game is speed and much of it is out of control. Players like him are a dime a dozen.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Do not see any future for Seabron. His whole game is speed and much of it is out of control. Players like him are a dime a dozen.
    Players with his speed and ability to get to the basket are definitely not a dime a dozen

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Players with his speed and ability to get to the basket are definitely not a dime a dozen
    Ones who cannot shoot a lick are. He does not have much of a game and will find out he cannot regularly get to the basket in the NBA like he did against the competition in college.

Thread Information