Pelicans Report

Page 49 of 55 FirstFirst ... 39 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1361

Thread: 2022-23 Offseason Thread

Good stuff. I guess we just keep our ear to the ground and see what players become available

Griff wins again

As I told y’all a little bit ago - Nance wanted 3 and Griff stuck to two. Love it
    @mcnamara247

Is the upward trajectory of the team giving us more leverage? How is he able to do this with both CJ and Nance?

Quote Originally Posted by coreylaron View Post
    Is the upward trajectory of the team giving us more leverage? How is he able to do this with both CJ and Nance?
    I think it is the pure joy of liking where you work. Its a perfect time right now -- ceiling seems limitless but expectations arent really high. That is a fun place to work.

I will be curious if they can keep this same happiness and vibes when expectations rise. Like 18-20 months ago, it was the same vibe in Phoenix. They were all so happy. Even after the Finals loss, they were all on cloud nine. Everybody loved each other. But when expectations rise up, and you fall short, the finger pointing begins. Players want to do more. Guys dont want to go to the bench for the good of the team, etc.

Culture is such a fickle thing, and like most things, it ebbs and flows due to the relation with expectations

So would Phx be the norm? If so, how can a team be an outlier like Toronto or San Antonio for those years? I do see immediately that both of those teams have won it all

That would be a good thing to look back on — the longest a franchise kept positive vibes, didn’t have guys getting discontent, etc without winning a title. The Grit and Grind Grizzlies come to mind. There has gotta be a few more but I would bet the common denominator is that they never really have the level of top player to really be considered a true contender so the expectations aren’t super, super high

That would be a good thing to look back on ? the longest a franchise kept positive vibes, didn?t have guys getting discontent, etc without winning a title. The Grit and Grind Grizzlies come to mind. There has gotta be a few more but I would bet the common denominator is that they never really have the level of top player to really be considered a true contender so the expectations aren?t super, super high

Would have to imagine environment matters as well. Don’t think grit and grind would lasted as long in Boston or Philly as it did in Memphis

The Jazz the past few years is interesting in this lens. Lacked top tier talent, low key place, had success, but still flamed out

I think that Jazz could have kept it together and had a good vibe if their top two guys liked each other. Biggest thing working against them is that top players will often be black and Utah is probably the place black players would least like to live.

Denver hasn’t won anything and have a good vibe. Probably still will if they don’t win next year or two. But their top player couldn’t care less about the market he plays in

Facts on the Utah point. Maybe Denver would be the perfect case study. Have to have a top end talent who’s ego won’t get in the way, cool place to live without fans being too **********y, and decent success on the court

Facts on the Utah point. Maybe Denver would be the perfect case study. Have to have a top end talent who’s ego won’t get in the way, cool place to live without fans being too **********y, and decent success on the court
    With that being said, I’d give pels 50 percent chance of long term vibes. Would be 70 if it was just Zion and not his family as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I think that Jazz could have kept it together and had a good vibe if their top two guys liked each other. Biggest thing working against them is that top players will often be black and Utah is probably the place black players would least like to live.

Denver hasn’t won anything and have a good vibe. Probably still will if they don’t win next year or two. But their top player couldn’t care less about the market he plays in
    Griff wins again

As I told y’all a little bit ago - Nance wanted 3 and Griff stuck to two. Love it
    Oh I thought they wanted 3 and Nance only wanted 2.
    Interesting why they didn't do 3.

With that being said, I’d give pels 50 percent chance of long term vibes. Would be 70 if it was just Zion and not his family as well.
    History says the percentage is WAY lower than that. Objectively, ten percent would be high

Memphis just paid more to keep Adams than the Pels did to keep Nance. Haha

Also, Zion must make First Team All NBA for the Rose Rule to kick in. He wont. Griff really nailed that deal

Imma move the decimal and go 5 and 7 percent

Imma move the decimal and go 5 and 7 percent
    Fair. Which means everyone should maximize their enjoyment now. Like everything else in the NBA, this is incredibly unlikely to last. The window is almost always shorter than most assume. I remember thinking 2007-08 was only the beginning! lol

So many small wins from this offseason. Nothing earth shattering, but my big complaint with Griff in the first few years was how many small moves he missed on, overpaid, etc. This summer, he hit a lot of nice singles and doubles. Nothing really to nitpick. Gambled a few times and won. We had a deal lined up to move to #5 if Ivey went 4th. Ivey fell to 5, Pistons took him, and Griff still got the guy at 8 he was going to jump up to 5 for. Held firm on some things on the Zion deal and got what he wanted. Held on Nance and CJ deals (both wanted 3 years, Griff stuck to 2). Nicely manipulating his two-ways and EJ's eventual contract to keep all those guys in the fold. Didnt rush to do the 2-for-1 he wants to do because it would cost him a first right now. Instead, choosing to stay patient.

Criticize when you said, but give props when they are deserved. A solid A offseason for Griff in my opinion.

Agreed. Quite a turnaround from the first few years. How would you grade Memphis? I remember the them getting a pretty high grade from you within the past few years, and wanted to know if they’re still operating at that level

I think Memphis is going to ride the continuity train too hard and for too long and eventually have an Atlanta type setback where they have a similar roster on paper one year but the end result is far worse and they won’t be able to figure out why. Sometimes you gotta sell high and they don’t seem to recognize when guys are at their peak value. Already missed the boat with Brooks on that and I bet we look back and this past summer was Bane’s all time peak value. He might get 5% better, but his contract will get 3000% bigger too.

They should have made a 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 type of trade by now but they think they drafted the next Warriors core and I don’t think Ja will be Curry or Bane Klay, JJJ Draymond, etc. And 90 percent of a dynasty sounds great in theory. But 90 percent of an all time great team is a second round exit team in an NBA where the difference between the best and middle of the back is about 1 point differential per quarter

In case anyone is wondering why no scrimmage footage today, it's because there was no scrimmage.

Just an hour of pre-game shootaround routines, then rookie some hazing.

CJ and Devonte could probably host an Oscar's. Very comfortable with a mic in their hands.

Zion made a lot of kids and fans a little more wealthy today with his autograph and pictures. He spent more time with fans than any other player.

Also, Zion must make First Team All NBA for the Rose Rule to kick in. He wont. Griff really nailed that deal
    Where did you find this? Everywhere I looked it was any All NBA team and not limited to just first team. If this is true it is huge.

Quote Originally Posted by bojan View Post
    Where did you find this? Everywhere I looked it was any All NBA team and not limited to just first team. If this is true it is huge.
    Ok, I found this which should explain it when you drill down

When a player was eligible for his rookie extension, teams were allowed to offer the player up to 30% of the salary cap for a single season as the max contract if the player had been voted an All-Star starter twice, made an All-NBA team twice or won the league MVP. Prior to this, teams could not offer more than 25% of the salary cap on an extension to a player with so few years of service in the league. The rule was slightly adjusted with the most recent CBA so that a player is eligible if he makes an All-NBA team or wins Defensive Player of the Year in the season preceding the first season on the extension or in any two of the three seasons preceding the extension, or if the player wins MVP in any of the three seasons preceding the extension.
    It's not as clear as it could (should!) be in this article. It's an all-NBA team, not any of the three teams by default.

Griff was able to specify 1st team

Maybe it's more explicit somewhere else, but I was definitely confused like you here. It does read like any all-NBA team should activate the clause

Although according to Larry Coon it's

In order to qualify for the higher maximum salary, players must meet certain performance criteria. At least one of the following must be true:

The player was named to the All-NBA First, Second or Third team in the most recent season, or both of the two seasons that preceded the most recent season.
    The player was named the Defensive Player of the Year in the most recent season, or both of the two seasons that preceded the most recent season.
    The player was named the NBA Most Valuable Player in any of the three most recent seasons.
    So if this is true, Griff shouldn't be able to specify which team, because it reads like any team is sufficient here?

Apparently, GMs can just manipulate a rule to suit themselves. Which kind of defeats the purpose of 'a rule'

I mean, Larry Coon seems like he's a pretty detail oriented guy. Seems odd he'd leave off a pretty important detail like "GM's are able to specify which All-NBA team"
    Last edited by AusPel; 10-02-2022 at 03:07 AM.

Thread Information