Pelicans Report

Page 44 of 55 FirstFirst ... 34 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 54 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1361

Thread: 2022-23 Offseason Thread

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Christian Wood and Kenrich Williams were also once considered by some as end of season flukes. And that's just from Pelicans recent history. Some posters should stick to fake insider news. But sure, odds are Naji doesn't become much better.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Naji may be someone who was hurt a little by summer league. He got to handle the ball more and became a bit of a ballhog. Once he got a taste of that, it seemed he tried to be more involved in the offense in the regular season rather than just doing all the dirty things. He has value as a defender, but needs to learn when to stop forcing terrible shots. He shot 20% from 3, but kept shooting.
    I said something similar at the time, but honestly, I dont think he was ever good.

There are literally hundreds of players over the last decade or so who show out at the end of every season for bad teams and put up numbers, getting people all excited and then are never that again. Everyone else is going through the slog of the season, and some guy on a non guaranteed deal comes in fresh in Jan or February and is going 110%. Go ahead, name literally any bad team from last year and I will give you a guy that the fan base thinks is some fantastic diamond in the rough based on that exact criteria.

Did you guys know Oshae Brissett averaged 14 and 7 after the All Star break last year?! Or that Drew Eubanks put up 14.5 points per game on 65% shooting over the final 22 games for the Blazers last year? Ignas Brazdekis showed some real signs down the stretch for Orlando too!!

I can go on and on. 90+ percent of these guys who all pop at the end of the year on bad teams never do anything again. Someone just has to get numbers on bad teams playing it out down the stretch.
    @mcnamara247

Does anyone think Naji is some fantastic diamond in the rough though? I think people are saying that his best case scenario is like the 10th man on a playoff team, and his worst case is still a really good teammate and guy who can come in and give 100% effort if there's injuries. I'd assume we pick up the club option next year at 1.9 mil unless something changes with the roster. He's obviously not untouchable in a trade.

My point was/is that the discourse LAST SUMMER was that he was Hart or better. I promise you that was the narrative. Coming off a few solid games at end of year and Summer League.

Now, we all know he is not that. Its POSSIBLE the same thing happens with Jose. I wouldnt say likely, but its possible.

There was an offseason where, based off a small sample size and a good SL, NAW was hyped up as a MIP candidate.

I dont know how we even got into this convo and I am not trying to be the Debbie Downer. But I am not putting anybody in PEN as a good rotational piece until I see it for longer. I dont get excited like some. It takes more than 6 three's in a SL game or a couple of good reg season games at the end of a season to convince me a guy is a real player
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 07-25-2022 at 10:49 AM.

Hart also changed how he played. He didn't always give a ******** under SVG.

Right, but older players aren’t given the benefit of the doubt in that direction

The new guys who has barely played, but played with a ton of energy, is always given the benefit of the doubt that they will only get better. When, historically, that simply isn’t true. There are tons of examples of a player like Jose peaking in that first year and never having a similar impact like that again. But predict that for his future and you are insane pessimist.

Again, I have no idea how his career will play out. I just know that assuming he will be a quality to good rotation player is not something I would assume based off the very small, specific sample size we saw last year. Heck, remember Instant Grits? People were in love with that dude for the same exact reasons and figured he would be a mainstay rotational piece. Then, poof, nothing

Would you bet on Kira or Jose having a longer career?

Can’t believe we drafted a 22 year old non shooter over Sharife Cooper just because he played basketball at Alabama near the Squadron. Should we fire David Griffin?

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post

Can?t believe we drafted a 22 year old non shooter over Sharife Cooper just because he played basketball at Alabama near the Squadron. Should we fire David Griffin?
    Yeah, last year some lost it when we drafted Herb Jones in the second round when Cooper was still on the board. One guy in particular said that Griffin should be fired on the spot because Cooper was a first round talent. Now, that undrafted kid from Georgia Tech who Griff signed has a contract that runs through 24/25 and Cooper is pounding the pavement.
    Last edited by As I See It; 07-25-2022 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Would you bet on Kira or Jose having a longer career?
    I think its 6 of one, half dozen of the other. Minimal difference on floor, median, and ceiling. I think there is a pretty low chance that either ever really is above a replacement level player. It would be like asking - 'Who had a better career, Dan Dickau or Tyus Edney? To which, I would answer "I dont care"

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Tyus Edney. Names don’t often leave me stumped. But that one is totally Greek to me.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I think its 6 of one, half dozen of the other. Minimal difference on floor, median, and ceiling. I think there is a pretty low chance that either ever really is above a replacement level player. It would be like asking - 'Who had a better career, Dan Dickau or Tyus Edney? To which, I would answer "I dont care"
    That is sad considering one was a lottery pick and the other an undrafted free agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Tyus Edney. Names don?t often leave me stumped. But that one is totally Greek to me.

Edney started out well. Started a bunch of games alongside Richmond as a rookie iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    That is sad considering one was a lottery pick and the other an undrafted free agent.
    Tons of lottery picks become nothing. Especially for the teams who drafted them. But all of the fans of every lottery pick team this year think they got a future building block in the lottery

He's March Madness famous.

Hey!

Hey!!!

Don't you put them bad words on Dan Dickau. Too far!
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Tons of lottery picks become nothing. Especially for the teams who drafted them. But all of the fans of every lottery pick team this year think they got a future building block in the lottery
    I realize that, but it does not make it better. Kira has not even played 80 games in the NBA yet.

Its all a crapshoot. The #1 pick usually hits. Outside of that, almost every other pick, type of player, etc fails more than they succeed. Why you wanna have the most lotto tickets and also flexibility in your roster to take chances. Warriors passed on Draymond twice, but they got him because they had a 3rd lotto ticket that year. They also had the roster spots to give all those guys a chance. You are going to fail a ton in this business. Similar to a baseball player - where if you only fail 70% of the time, you are a massive success.

Its all a crapshoot. The #1 pick usually hits. Outside of that, almost every other pick, type of player, etc fails more than they succeed. Why you wanna have the most lotto tickets and also flexibility in your roster to take chances. Warriors passed on Draymond twice, but they got him because they had a 3rd lotto ticket that year. They also had the roster spots to give all those guys a chance. You are going to fail a ton in this business. Similar to a baseball player - where if you only fail 70% of the time, you are a massive success.
    Makes it all the more amazing that the Pelicans may have hit 3 times last season in 2 swings.

I am so curious to see what comes of these 4 players (the 3 last year plus Daniels)

I think I would bet on one above average starter, two solid starters and one fringe rotation guy as the outcome but if any become an All Star or 3 become above avg starters, etc, you are talking a legit contender. And if one more Lakers pick lands in the top 10, you really have assets to land a needle moving player via trade

I am so curious to see what comes of these 4 players (the 3 last year plus Daniels)

I think I would bet on one above average starter, two solid starters and one fringe rotation guy as the outcome but if any become an All Star or 3 become above avg starters, etc, you are talking a legit contender. And if one more Lakers pick lands in the top 10, you really have assets to land a needle moving player via trade
    I expect Herb to be a WELL ABOVE average starter. Should be able to tell for sure by how he developes offensively by the end of this coming season. May sound crazy...but I could even see see him becoming the 2nd best player on the Pels in the near future. Not sure Trey can become much more than just a shooter, but a very good one...and you never know about other aspects of his game. Not very high on Jose...and DD obviously has a great ceiling. Should be a very interesting season coming up.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    New Rule:
    Anybody who has more than 10k post on a message board, can't use the term "fans" as if they're talking about those other people over there without including themselves in that group they're speaking down to.

If you're on Pelicansreport.com everyday... that's pretty fanatical behavior.
    Last edited by NMThreeMVP; 07-26-2022 at 06:03 PM.

The Franchise
    Would anyone be interested in Jalen Brown? Of course as the 3rd team but think he could be an awesome asset.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar

The Franchise
    Giving up 4 1’s I’d like to keep Kira and Murphy. Kira, Daniels, Murphy, Herb, and Nash is an awesome bench.

Thread Information