Pelicans Report

Page 26 of 55 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 36 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022-23 Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Saints63213 View Post
    Warriors make alot of sense for KD, they have the assets to trump any deal and they would want to black suns and mavs to get KD. The vets would sign off on it because it's best for the short term...
    Neither Mavs nor GS have the assets to ''trump any deal''.
    Basketball.

Good pickup for Minnesota

Wiggins, Wiseman, Kruminga, Moody and picks are plenty to trump most offers....
    AKA St. David

Quote Originally Posted by Saints63213 View Post
    Wiggins, Wiseman, Kruminga, Moody and picks are plenty to trump most offers....
    That doesn't even come close to Ayton + Bridges + Cam + Picks imo from Phoenix, imo. That's still the overwhelmingly best offer out there

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    That doesn't even come close to Ayton + Bridges + Cam + Picks imo from Phoenix, imo. That's still the overwhelmingly best offer out there
    And KD has apparently specifically targeted the Suns as one of his teams.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Is Brooklyn going to pay Ayton the max, cause if they’re not he’s not going there. And if you’re Brooklyn, do you want Ayton on a max contract that no one else seemingly wants to pay him?

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Is Brooklyn going to pay Ayton the max, cause if they’re not he’s not going there. And if you’re Brooklyn, do you want Ayton on a max contract that no one else seemingly wants to pay him?
    If you're the Nets, I think that ending a year in which Kyrie Irving, Kevin Durant, and James Harden all either left, or threatened to leave, with Ben Simmons, Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, DeAndre Ayton, and a nest of picks (remember; they don't have any of their own anymore) is a fairly good way to finish things up. Assuming both Kyrie and Simmons play next year, that's a better team than they had this year with Durant.

What ridiculous question is that.... Nets don't have control over their own picks for 4 years. Yes, you pay him the Max.

Kleber is starting to feel realistic, which I never really thought was a possibility. Devonte and Jax for Kleber and Powell, then move Powell to a third team

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    What ridiculous question is that.... Nets don't have control over their own picks for 4 years. Yes, you pay him the Max.
    I don't get what the former has to do with the latter. The Nets aren't getting those pics back. The picks are gone.

So you think rebuilding teams should overpay for centers?

I don't get what the former has to do with the latter. The Nets aren't getting those pics back. The picks are gone.

“Overpay” is all relative to other options. Sooner than later, CJ will be an overpay relative to his production but letting him go won’t be an option. For the Nets, Ayton will produce enough on that team to make himself a positive trade asset, even with that contract. KD has a huge salary to match. You aren’t going to find teams with 40-50 Mil in moveable salary where all the players coming back are paid properly and great. Because if teams do have that, and give that up for KD, they no longer can contend and it makes the whole thing moot
    @mcnamara247

Oh my god Drummond is so damn cheap

The whole point is that if that's the return they get, with Simmons and Kyrie still on the roster, they aren't a rebuilding team at all. They're just a solid team.

They can't DO a rebuild. They have no assets to rebuild with, and the only teams who are replete with tons and tons of high level picks aren't moving them - OKC has not got in the race. Their best bet is to get good players back, and Ayton is a very good player.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    “Overpay” is all relative to other options. Sooner than later, CJ will be an overpay relative to his production but letting him go won’t be an option. For the Nets, Ayton will produce enough on that team to make himself a positive trade asset, even with that contract. KD has a huge salary to match. You aren’t going to find teams with 40-50 Mil in moveable salary where all the players coming back are paid properly and great. Because if teams do have that, and give that up for KD, they no longer can contend and it makes the whole thing moot
    The whole point is that if that's the return they get, with Simmons and Kyrie still on the roster, they aren't a rebuilding team at all. They're just a solid team.

They can't DO a rebuild. They have no assets to rebuild with, and the only teams who are replete with tons and tons of high level picks aren't moving them - OKC has not got in the race. Their best bet is to get good players back, and Ayton is a very good player.
    The reports earlier made it sound like the Nets were willing to trade everyone. At some point, even trading for the 2 Lakers first and Russ makes sense for them if they can't get anything better. The alternative is to play out the year and let Kyrie walk for nothing. If you're trading KD, why not take what you can get for Kyrie?

I'm not arguing that they do or don't pay the max for Ayton. I was just legit asking the question of whether you kick off a rebuild by paying a max for a center? And I think Ayton would absolutely hold up any deal until he got his max. He'd have new leverage.

And picks are picks. The Lakers picks we received weren't considered "high level" and look how that's turned out. You're never getting "high level" picks when you trade a superstar to a team because in theory that superstar should be lifting the floor of the team receiving him, unless they're trading you picks they got from a 3rd team.

The reports earlier made it sound like the Nets were willing to trade everyone. At some point, even trading for the 2 Lakers first and Russ makes sense for them if they can't get anything better. The alternative is to play out the year and let Kyrie walk for nothing. If you're trading KD, why not take what you can get for Kyrie?

I'm not arguing that they do or don't pay the max for Ayton. I was just legit asking the question of whether you kick off a rebuild by paying a max for a center? And I think Ayton would absolutely hold up any deal until he got his max. He'd have new leverage.

And picks are picks. The Lakers picks we received weren't considered "high level" and look how that's turned out. You're never getting "high level" picks when you trade a superstar to a team because in theory that superstar should be lifting the floor of the team receiving him, unless they're trading you picks they got from a 3rd team.
    The reports earlier did not make it seem like the Nets were trying to move the world, at least none of the ones I read. Hell, they traded one of their few remaining assets immediately after news of KD's trade request dropped to acquire another win-now player, in Royce O'Neale.

Also, other than Lakers fans, the majority of us were very much considering the Lakers picks ''high level''. Myself, MM, I think Pelicansfan, Taker, and others were all totally understanding of the logic that Griff was betting the Lakers would be bad quite quickly; and he/we were right! Because we knew Lebron's age, we knew that they had just gutted their roster to get AD, and we knew AD's injury history.

It's not quite the same for the Nets because KD has 4 years left on his deal so they can leverage that into even more value.

As I mentioned, it's not ''kicking off a rebuild'' because it's not a rebuild. A rebuild is when a team goes from being good to being bad and starts from the ground up, or with maybe only one real player left, and puts an entire team together - often through the draft - over the course of a few seasons. The Nets are not doing that. They would have, in this scenario, Ayton, Mikal Bridges, Ben Simmons, Cam Johnson, and potentially Kyrie Irving still on the roster: that's not a rebuild, that's a 46 win team in the East!

If Lakers are the only offer, I dont see the Nets hurry to trade him now. They know that deal will be there in season. Might as well wait, see if other suitors emerge. At least that is how I am hoping they see it.

The reports earlier did not make it seem like the Nets were trying to move the world, at least none of the ones I read. Hell, they traded one of their few remaining assets immediately after news of KD's trade request dropped to acquire another win-now player, in Royce O'Neale.

Also, other than Lakers fans, the majority of us were very much considering the Lakers picks ''high level''. Myself, MM, I think Pelicansfan, Taker, and others were all totally understanding of the logic that Griff was betting the Lakers would be bad quite quickly; and he/we were right! Because we knew Lebron's age, we knew that they had just gutted their roster to get AD, and we knew AD's injury history.

It's not quite the same for the Nets because KD has 4 years left on his deal so they can leverage that into even more value.

As I mentioned, it's not ''kicking off a rebuild'' because it's not a rebuild. A rebuild is when a team goes from being good to being bad and starts from the ground up, or with maybe only one real player left, and puts an entire team together - often through the draft - over the course of a few seasons. The Nets are not doing that. They would have, in this scenario, Ayton, Mikal Bridges, Ben Simmons, Cam Johnson, and potentially Kyrie Irving still on the roster: that's not a rebuild, that's a 46 win team in the East!

That sounds like a team that's restarting/rebuilding.

If Lakers are the only offer, I dont see the Nets hurry to trade him now. They know that deal will be there in season. Might as well wait, see if other suitors emerge. At least that is how I am hoping they see it.
    It sounded last week like Joe Tsai was ready to wash his hands of this whole mess. Doubt he can be convinced to hang to Kyrie into the season.

Wolves still poking around on Jax, amongst other bigs. Just signed Slo Mo. Tons of 3/4's on the roster now. Vanderbilt works salary wise, but I am a Nowell fan. Could send Bolmoro to 3rd team to make that work money wise. Or Pels take him and cut/waive/send out Temple. All that said, I am sure Minny is talking to numerous teams and FAs. Big is pretty accessible in this market

It sounded last week like Joe Tsai was ready to wash his hands of this whole mess. Doubt he can be convinced to hang to Kyrie into the season.
    You can send him home with pay while you look for the trade. Very common.

Wolves still poking around on Jax, amongst other bigs. Just signed Slo Mo. Tons of 3/4's on the roster now. Vanderbilt works salary wise, but I am a Nowell fan. Could send Bolmoro to 3rd team to make that work money wise. Or Pels take him and cut/waive/send out Temple. All that said, I am sure Minny is talking to numerous teams and FAs. Big is pretty accessible in this market
    Thanks for the insight. Are we looking into Kelly Olynyk by chance?
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

You can send him home with pay while you look for the trade. Very common.
    They've basically been allowing him to stay home this whole time... that's where the frustration comes from.

Thread Information