Pelicans Report

Page 17 of 55 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022-23 Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Sure sounds like a once in 20 year type prospect. The wild thing is - are Chet and Wembanyama just the beginning of a new wave of supersized skilled wing-bigs? Will the next mega prospect be 7'5" with 8-foot wingspan, guard coordination and core strength? Or a Zion level strength, agility, and skill on a true 7 footer. The future could get ridiculous.
    I'm sorry but I don't see much of Giannis in this guy once he reaches the pros.. theres no guarantee whatsoever that this guy fills out physically like Giannis did, and I don't see the ability to use athleticism to take any player off the dribble like Giannis does

You could project him out comparably with AD but AD still looked much more polished offensively and much more athletic defensively. This guy has extreme reach which helps to recover once guys blow past him, and he catches guards by surprise when they're chucking 3s from 35 feet, but how long until he can hold up against a Gobert type center in the post?

Hes got a good shot for big man and "can handle the ball without looking stupid".. im sorry but that doesn't sound like a transcendent player that you bet the farm on

I'm sure I'll be wrong but I just don't see it..

Sure sounds like a once in 20 year type prospect. The wild thing is - are Chet and Wembanyama just the beginning of a new wave of supersized skilled wing-bigs? Will the next mega prospect be 7'5" with 8-foot wingspan, guard coordination and core strength? Or a Zion level strength, agility, and skill on a true 7 footer. The future could get ridiculous.
    He's not going to be Giannis. Giannis' development physically has been wild to see, and I don't think the direction of Wemby's game tilts in that all-power build that Giannis has.

It's not going to be a wave of people like Wembanyama, simply because there aren't that many people on the planet his size, there aren't many people on the planet who have the feel he does, and there aren't that many people on the planet who have the touch he does, and there certainly aren't that many people on the planet who have all three. Plus, you mention Chet, but as much as I like Chet (I had him #1 this draft), he's not nearly the prospect Wemby is; the difference between Chet and Wemby is like the difference between Zion and Roddy from this year's draft.

As for the comment jaxmc left about not looking stupid, I implore you to read the full clause that phrase comes from: he's a 7 footer who can convincingly string together combinations of dribble moves, hesitations and stepbacks included, and actually pull it off. There is not a single player in the NBA right now who can do that, at that size. The closest any two players come are Jokic and Embiid, and they're both perennial MVP candidates. Plus the whole ''he's played these guys but can he defend Gobert'' argument is absurd; he's played the best competition in his age range, which is all any prospect can ever do,and he's dominated them. That's what elite prospects are supposed to do. As for whether or not he can defend the league's top Cs (I take it that's what you meant by Gobert, he's just kind of a bad example because he's very offensively limited) my answer is no, not right now. He's a teenager, asking whether he can do something no actual fully grown adult in the NBA can do seems a bit unfair to me; will he be able to in 6 years? Probably better than anyone else can, that's for sure.

Great offense always wins over great defense, so asking whether Wemby in his prime would be able to stop Shaq in his prime is a redundant point. Neither could Dikembe, but it didn't stop Dikembe winning 4 DPOY awards, did it?
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 06-29-2022 at 10:59 PM.
    Basketball.

Wemby is Chet on steroids

NBA would be so much better if players didn't have to go to Los Angeles at all. Nothing but trouble out there.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    They did once they found out what the whole league now knows about his next contract. Its done
    I did notice that Trae tweet with him sucking up to Zion lol

Its brilliant. Dont have to overpay a good, but not great, player in 2 years. And get to tank in a year with an all time draft prospect and potentially draft class. They finally did the smart thing
    I'm surprised how much people have been gassing Dejounte. Feel like I'm missing something.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    NBA would be so much better if players didn't have to go to Los Angeles at all. Nothing but trouble out there.

Most Valuable Bag Fumbler.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post

Wonderful timing for him.

We'll be seeing lots of this over the next decade: "Vic-Wemb is the perfect stretch 5 to pair with Zion! How can we get him?"
    Only way to get him is to get lucky with the ping pong balls because whoever gets #1 will not be trading that pick.

Season Ticket Holder
    I wanna run it back with the team we got (plus Dyson and EJ) - and I know we gotta clear a roster spot.

But I would love to sign PJ Tucker. We need a veteran enforcer. Bang with Zion in practice. Show this krewe how to be mean. Yes, we have Nance, but Nance can't shoot and is too nice. PJ is money from the corner 3. No idea how he'd fit under the salary cap, but he's a vet that I wouldn't mind stealing minutes from the young guys.

I remain skeptical of Wenby simply in that how often do we see a player of that size shoot that low of a %. I know his scoring percentiles basically across the board are relatively low. I think he will be great, but he’s got to put on the requisite muscle in order to hit that truly elite ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Upper Decker View Post
    I wanna run it back with the team we got (plus Dyson and EJ) - and I know we gotta clear a roster spot.

But I would love to sign PJ Tucker. We need a veteran enforcer. Bang with Zion in practice. Show this krewe how to be mean. Yes, we have Nance, but Nance can't shoot and is too nice. PJ is money from the corner 3. No idea how he'd fit under the salary cap, but he's a vet that I wouldn't mind stealing minutes from the young guys.
    He is already going to Houston. And again, could we have younger, cheaper more durable PJ in Liddell?

I said this a few months ago, but the cycle always plays out the same -- fans want the sure thing vet on July 1st and then on Jan 13th they are yelling at the coach for not playing the upside youngster over the known vet.

I personally want to create a runway for EJ, and then if he falls on his face, you can pick up a playoff rotation guy in February. I really think EJ can come in and have a similar impact as early career Taj Gibson
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 06-30-2022 at 09:44 AM.
    @mcnamara247

Everyone's clamouring for this free agent and that free agent, when there's already a tremendous squeeze on minutes with the personnel we have

Probably a force of habit thing

Run it back szn

Season Ticket Holder
    He is already going to Houston. And again, could we have younger, cheaper more durable PJ in Liddell?

I said this a few months ago, but the cycle always plays out the same -- fans want the sure thing vet on July 1st and then on Jan 13th they are yelling at the coach for not playing the upside youngster over the known vet.

I personally want to create a runway for EJ, and then if he falls on his face, you can pick up a playoff rotation guy in February. I really think EJ can come in and have a similar impact as early career Taj Gibson
    I'd rather have PJ than EJ. Don't make broad generalizations about "fans" as though you're somehow above it all. Please.

This team lacks toughness. We have no one on the team that is a mean S.O.B. PJ is a mean dude who can bang and shoot 3s. EJ is a nice get. But PJ's presence on this team and our young core would be extremely valuable. Yeah, CJ is teaching them professionalism. But we need PJ to teach em how do be dogs.
    Last edited by Upper Decker; 06-30-2022 at 10:03 AM.

PJ going to Houston? I guess I assumed with the Harden contract manipulations in Philly that he would end up there.

I'd rather have PJ than EJ. Don't make broad generalizations about "fans" as though you're somehow above it all. Please.

This team lacks toughness. We have no one on the team that is a mean S.O.B. PJ is a mean dude who can bang and shoot 3s. EJ is a nice get. But PJ's presence on this team and our young core would be extremely valuable. Yeah, CJ is teaching them professionalism. But we need PJ to teach em how do be dogs.
    PJ isn’t an option. My point is that a lesser PJ is known and on July 1st most fans (that better?) will want to get that player. Then, EJ will tear it up in SL and those same fans will get upset when we say EJ won’t be getting any minutes to start the season because we signed X player

Sorry to generalize but yes I have seen this same cycle for 20+ years. I predicted it would happen weeks ago because it is a tale as old as time. If FA was on August 1st, after Summer League, fans wouldn’t want a backup 4. They would be all aboard the EJ train. I say, we should just get ahead of that curve now
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 06-30-2022 at 10:10 AM.

Hoping we can get involved in some trades for contract matching purposes that allows us to dump Temple.

by going to houston do you mean philadelphia

Season Ticket Holder
    PJ isn’t an option. My point is that a lesser PJ is known and on July 1st most fans (that better?) will want to get that player. Then, EJ will tear it up in SL and those same fans will get upset when we say EJ won’t be getting any minutes to start the season because we signed X player

Sorry to generalize but yes I have seen this same cycle for 20+ years. I predicted it would happen weeks ago because it is a tale as old as time. If FA was on August 1st, after Summer League, fans wouldn’t want a backup 4. They would be all aboard the EJ train. I say, we should just get ahead of that curve now
    I hear you. I don't know much about EJ. But I still maintain that this team lacks toughness. Of course, maybe a healthy Zion will just be crushing dudes.

Season Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketfox View Post
    by going to houston do you mean philadelphia
    A quick google search came up with this: Report: P.J. Tucker to sign with 76ers on three-year, $30M contract
    https://nba.nbcsports.com/2022/06/29...-30m-contract/

Yeah, Philly. Money, Harden, Houston East lol

I hear you. I don't know much about EJ. But I still maintain that this team lacks toughness. Of course, maybe a healthy Zion will just be crushing dudes.
    Is toughness just fighting, bullying, etc? Because toughness can also be resilience and I think this team now has that in spades. Never give up grinders everywhere. Do they have fight starters and punishers like PJ or Morris, etc? No but I don’t like that kind of “toughness” any way. I love the resilience type of toughness, not guys who are always arguing, pretending like they are gonna fight, and getting technicals.

We must have watched two different playoff races

Is toughness just fighting, bullying, etc? Because toughness can also be resilience and I think this team now has that in spades. Never give up grinders everywhere. Do they have fight starters and punishers like PJ or Morris, etc? No but I don’t like that kind of “toughness” any way. I love the resilience type of toughness, not guys who are always arguing, pretending like they are gonna fight, and getting technicals.
    Totally agree. If you get it in your head that ''toughness'' is synonymous with aggression, then Tim Duncan wasn't tough. Is there anyone in their right mind who doesn't think Tim Duncan had the tenacity to get things done? Hopefully not. I'd rather have a team full of Tim Duncan tough than a team full of Morris tough.

Thread Information